Thread: Medication & veganism

Default Medication & veganism

Does anyone know where I can find out about (non)vegan ingredients of prescription medications? Are most meds vegan? Nonvegan? Is there a list somewhere?

I take a couple of prescriptions and, as with everything I consume, I'm concerned about how they're made and if it's appropriate for me to look for alternatives.

Thanks....Cy.

can't the doc tell you, and obtain a synthetic alternative where there's an animal element?
    Eve

This is a tough issue. Almost all medications are tested on animals (that just shows the ignorance of doctors, huh?), and I know that all have to be in the US before being sold. I definitely would advise against taking anything with gelatin, as that may put you at risk for mad cow disease, and vegans don't deserve that risk. I think a lot of pills have some form of dried cow milk in them; most birth control pills do. If there is not an alternative available and you feel that you need this prescription for whatever reason, then by all means take it. Better to have a live, healthy, functioning vegan who takes a medication that by someone else's fault and/or laziness is not vegan than a vegan who is unhealthy w/o their meds (if that makes sense!).
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

wuggy

I agree to a point - I go out of my way to avoid anything tested on animals, and always try and find a vegan alternative.
    However, I have to give my son an inhaler for Asthma, and just tell myself that one can use something (if one really, really has to), whilst still strongly disagreeing with the way in which it is produced. This makes me feel like a hypocrit, but I have to keep my son alive! When he's older, if he hasn't grown out of the Asthma, I will explore alternatives with him for sure.

yes, i tend to agree, artichoke47. i HATE that they were likely tested on animals but i don't think i would necessarily stop taking them because when i do stop, i get very sick. i know that makes me a hypocrite.

in answer to your query, eve, the doc probably doesn't know all of the binders and things that are used in the meds. unless he's a veg (and i don't think he is) i would guess he just won't have had any incentive to find out.

anyway, thanks for the perspectives, all.

cy

See Non-Vegan Prescriptions? by Joanne Stepaniak, HERE.

Quote gertvegan
    Non-Vegan Prescriptions? by Joanne Stepaniak, HERE.
    Thanks gertvegan.

Default OTC meds, good or bad??

I have a question for the vegan parents here, when your kid is sick do you give them cough syrups, pills, etc. or do you have more natural things that seem to work? My son (and me) have a sore throat/cough and I went to the store to buy some cough medication, cuz that's what I've always done, and I couldn't do it! It just seemed so unnecessary to use medication when I knew he'd just get over it on his own anyway.

So, I'd like to here other people's opinion on these commonly used meds and get some suggestion's on how to sooth a cough/sore throat without them. Thanks!

PinkFluffyCloud

Casey, I never use any meds for coughs/colds, like you say, they will go on their own.
    What I do is gargle regularly with very salty warm water, works a treat at killing germs. I also drink Hot Water with a squeeze of fresh Lemon, and steam with boiling water and Eucalyptus Oil.
    I hate using OTC meds, I don't even use painkillers for headaches now, I just pust something warm on my head (such as a wrapped hot water bottle), have a lot of water, and lie down if possible.
    I also use Bach flower remedies, massage, and an 'Em-Power' healing disc, which connects the user with his/her 'Higher Self' to overcome pain and speed healing. My son once got stung in his ear by a Bee (he's very unlucky with Bees), and it worked wonders.
    For bruises, strains and sprains, I use Witch Hazel, Tea Tree for disinfecting, and Salt Baths for cleansing. I also have an Aloe Vera plant which I use for burns and other skin problems.
    I reckon I save a lot of money, too!!

tails4wagging

The best remedy for a sore throat is either blackberry vinegar, or raspberry vinegar.

I make my own and it is not only soothing but vineger is natures healer, plus it has lots of vit, c.

You dilute it into a glass/mug of warm water and drink it whilst its warm, it really works. My neighbours are always borrowing it when they get a sore throat!

ConsciousCuisine

To answer your question directly, YES. OTC medications ar EVIL! They treat the symptom and not the cause.

I use the following to help assist the body in balancing:

Elderberry Echinacea Syrup, Detox/Throat-Coat Tea, Aromatherapy Steam Treatments, Olbas Inhaler or other essential oil blend as needed,Yin Chiao Herbal Remedy, Astragalus Tonic, Massage, Cupping, Ear Coning and the treatments described above as well...Apple Cider Vinegar is the good vinegar and I use it to make elderberry vinegar with...I add hot peppers and garlic to mine!

We don't use anything that isn't a Homeopathic/herbal/TCM remedy...
    (the Homeopathics I use are Vegan: Creams and lotions etc.)

I'm not a parent but I'll throw in my two cents. I wouldn't bother with any OTC medicines for myself but I could see giving a child medicine if he is really suffering. By the way, herbs are not necessarily healthier for children than pharmaceuticals.

ConsciousCuisine

If anyone wants to discuss this issue with a Parent who is also a Master Herbalist, Nutritionist and Licensed Holistic Health Practitioner, please PM me.

Uggh. I have gotten sooo sick since I posted my original question. My son is all better of course But, I have another question, what about Vit. C supplements? There's a website called DoctorYourself.com that recommends taking as much as 10,000 mg of Vit C a day when you're healthy and then even more (basically as much as your body can handle) when you're sick. Do you guys take Vit C to boost your immune system? I've been taking some but, they aren't working for me. Of course I'm not gorging myself with them like this site recommends.

Default Re: Medication & veganism

I quit all my perscriptions, but they weren't for anything life threatening.
    Just ADHD, and I quit cause the drugs were killing my personality. Sure I was calm, but I cared about nothing.