Thread: Vegetarian Demi Glace

Default Vegetarian Demi Glace

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of dish would compliment a vegetarian demi-glace. I'm currently in a Culinary Arts program, and just finished my sauce today. The recipe is from our On Cooking text book by Sarah R. Labensky, in the vegetarian chapter (YAY), but most of the time, a lot of sauce recipes in this book don't go into detail and specify what kind of foods can compliment it. I can't find a copy of the recipe online at the moment, but this one is very similar. The only differences in mine are using a cornstarch slurry for thickening, and no shallots.

Default Re: Vegetarian Demi Glace

Anybody? Anybody at all??

Well, from what I can gather demi-glace is usually used as a base for other sauces. Where descriptions do use it as a sauce in its own right they seem to just suggest "rich meats" so I'd think maybe they'd go with a nut-based dish (since I usually find those quite rich), but that's just a random guess.

I don't really know what kind of sauce this is, but if it goes with "rich meats" another alternative might be mushrooms, particularly large flat ("portabella") ones which have a strong flavour. How about a mushroom-and-nut roast?

The recipe you've posted looks a lot like a vegetable casserole sauce to me

Vegan recipes that use heavy stocks (dashi) tend to be japanese. Shiitake broth when reduced with soya sauce/tamari makes a dark brown 'meaty' (for want of a better word) stock that's used in a lot of recipes.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I would use a demi-glace over sauteed seitan cutlets, possibly adding sauteed onions and/or mushrooms. Dredging the cutlets in a ground nut/flour mix would be a nice touch.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein