Thread: Veganism and being an athlete

DiaryWhat?

Question Veganism and being an athlete

My mom, who hasn't done any research at all on the topic, was saying that veganism might be terrible for athletes because of the low amount of carb. intake. I'm always ready to disagree...but I'm wondering what exactly I should be eating more of if I run a couple hours a day? Thanks ahead!

-Galen

Default Re: A Vegan Athlete?

Hi Galen, low carb intake a problem on a vegan diet? Hmm.... Maybe you could check these links:

http://www.vegparadise.com/otherbirds510.html
    http://www.veganathlete.com/
    http://www.vegblog.org/archive/2001/...n_athletes.php
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

snap!

Also check http://www.veganfestivals.org.uk/fiona.htm Fiona Oakes, vegan marathon runner finished as the 30th woman at the London Marathon a couple of weeks ago, doing an amazing 2:49! If that doesn't prove something I don't know what does!
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

I use to run 4 miles in the am, Monday-Friday, and 6 to 8 miles on Saturdays. When I switched to eating vegan, I felt SO much lighter. I didn't get that, I don't know, "heavy feeling". And I especially noticed a difference running up hills. My average time went down to a good 8-minute mile. (Well, not Olympic material, but that was great for me! )

It was much better to be vegan as a runner! Now, I couldn't play any ball games worth a darn, vegan or not!! Ha, ha.

....wow. Now I'm missing it. I think I'll invite Danny out with me in the morning for a nice jog ... sigh.

Stu

Wasn't Carl Lewis vegan?

Mozbee

Apparently Carl Lewis is only vegan when he's training!
    (Better than never).

Stu

Well if he's vegan only while he's training, then that lends more evidence to the suggestion that a vegan diet is beneficial for athletes.

Mozbee

Precisely Stu, seeing as I'm a voluptuous and overly cuddly vegan I won't be too hard on him for not being vegan all the time!!!

Ruth Heidrich, Ph.D. was a 6 time Ironman finisher. She's a pretty awsome athlete AND vegan.
    http://www.ruthheidrich.com/
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Arrow Organic Athlete Conference 2005

VEGAN ATHLETES FLEX THEIR MUSCLES

SAN FRANCISCO, CA, June 22, 2005 --/WORLD-WIRE /-- In a recent interview Olympic track star Carl Lewis, who was a vegan during his best years, says he believes that “most athletes have the worst diet in the world, and they compete in spite of it.”

Members of OrganicAthlete’s “Vegan Pro-Activist” team are out to prove that a plant-based diet is the best diet for optimal health and performance, and that they can succeed at high levels in sports because they are vegan.

Many people are resistant about becoming vegan because of dietary myths like not getting enough protein, but elite vegan athletes and health professionals are participating in the 2005 OrganicAthlete Conference to dispel these myths. Scheduled for September 24th, the goal of the conference is to share information about the benefits of a plant-based diet.

“At first other athletes told me I should really start eating meat,” says Brendan Brazier, a professional tri-athlete and vegan for six years. According to Brazier, those same friends now realize, based on his outstanding athletic example, that a vegan diet is optimal for high performance athletes.

The conference schedule includes talks from endurance athletes like Brazier and Christine Vardaros, a world class cyclo-cross racer, who has risen to the top of her sport as a vegan. But even in the protein-crazed sport of bodybuilding vegans are finding success. Kenneth G. Williams, a bodybuilder who placed 3rd at the 2004 Natural Olympia, and Charlie Abel, a raw vegan muscleman and personal trainer, will both speak at the event.

Leading nutritionists Dr. Doug Graham, Rozalind Gruben, Dr. Ruth Heidrich and Dr. Rick Dina will join the athletes in explaining the science of vegan nutrition. Dr. Graham, who has trained many Olympic caliber athletes, explains: “Every nutrient known to be essential for human health is available, in proper concentration, in plant foods. This is not so with animal-based foods, as there are many essential nutrients totally absent in them.”

The conference will be held at Sports Basement’s Presidio store. The $65 fee includes all educational seminars, food demos, training sessions, lunch and a gift certificate to Sports Basement. The World Vegetarian Day Celebration will be held the following day in Golden Gate Park.

For more information about the OrganicAthlete conference, visit www.organicathlete.org/conference or call 707-360-8511.

Smile Can vegan diet fuel an athlete?

Can vegan diet fuel an athlete? He says yes

Opinion by Jennifer Duffy, Arizona Daily Star, Tucson, Arizona, 05.16.2006

What did you eat yesterday? Bradley Saul, a former pro-cyclist and founder of Organic Athlete, stopped in Tucson last week to talk about his organization and told me what he had munched on that day: half of a case of strawberries, two heads of lettuce chopped into a salad, some oranges and about 50 small dates.

Read more here.

Default Re: Can vegan diet fuel an athlete?

Quote gertvegan
    : half of a case of strawberries, two heads of lettuce chopped into a salad, some oranges and about 50 small dates.
    That's like my lunch or something.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Stu

I think Carl Lewis could adequately answer this question.

of course it can

In fact dr Joe Esposito is famous for taking knacked olympic athletes and get them back to full health through a vegan diet.
    http://www.alternativesouls.com/hh/diet.html

there is loads of free info & radio show downloads all about 100% natural health with 100% vegan diet.

In fact I did hear a rumour that the US olympic team were banned from touching dairy products - a few years back.

funny how things change

G

Benji

Default Veganism and being an athlete

How would one go about leading a proper diet along with strenious physical activity? What nutrients are vital, and where can they be found? I am planning on wrestling this year, and am kind of anxious as to I am a fairly new vegan, only 2 months? Also, it is a winter sport, and fruits and vegtables are not so plentiful during winter so I am not quite sure what to do about that.

Default Re: Veganism and being an athlete

Hi,
    you can find some great info on www.veganbodybuilding.com

Yogini

The most important thing for an athlete is to get sufficient protein after every training session, this can be from nuts of many types or high protein soya based products.
    If i ever miss my protein after a killer training session i feel flat as hell and light headed.

nervine

If you gonna do heavy training you should eat a high protein meal or smoothie after your trainingsession. Your body digests food most efficiently between 20 to 50mins after your workout. If your looking to gain muscle mass you could take protein powder. I have 3 teaspoons (40g) of 90+ vegan pea protein in a smoothie every day.

Default balanced meals for an athlete?

sorry if this is in the wrong section!

I am taking part in an 8 week fitness challenge with exercises and a balanced food sheet, food sheet is for omnis though.

The general idea is cut out fizzy things sugar alcohol etc and eat a diet with balanced fat, carbs and protein getting the same calories from each of those groups.

Ive never done anything like this before I have no idea what kinds of things to do. I think i already eat pretty healthily, i home cook everything and eat out very rarely!

help!
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 19th, 2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: I just merged a few similar threads

the previous links are very useful, does anyone have any meal plan examples?

thanks