Thread: What do I need?

Default What do I need?

i want to become vegan I want to know what to shop for so i was just wondering what all you vegans get while you shop so I know hwat to get like vitamins and all that stuff.

thanks

hmmm what do we shop for. just a plain multivitamin for me, gelatin free.

food wise? well i try to buy everything organic. lots of oranges, and bananas, watermelon, veggies for stirfry, organic salad (the kinds that come in bags), beans, brown rice, vegan yogurt/cream cheese/sour cream. rice bread that is vegan (cant eat flour cause of celiac disease)... lots of juice, sumtimes organic soups, oh and organic cereals, soymilk, organic fair trade vegan sugar, organic maple syrup.. tea etc. just basic stuff like that

lets see... i should be buying vitamins.. especially lately..i havent been eating properly since my move... but thats gonna change...

we buy lots of bananas.. they never last long here..., wheat bread, organic soymilk, vegan sour cream, cheese, cream cheese, buttery spread, vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal, stuff for tacos (bad cravings), hmmm lots more... i jus cant think...

and i want to try millet and quinoa...
    Vegan-pagan-homeschooling momma to Khaila (5) and felines Gamma (3) and Mickey (3 mnths) and new foster cat Holly (2)

Default basic supplies for going vegan

Some basic supplies for eating vegan:

brown rice
    oatmeal
    quinoa
    whole grain bread
    almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds
    peanut butter
    almond butter
    tahini
    spinach
    other dark green leafies depending on whatīs in you area, like chard, mustard greens, etc.
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    carrots
    tomatoes
    avocado
    peppers - all colors
    garlic, onion, ginger
    soy, rice, oat or almond milk, depending on what you like - get fortified ones with little or no sugar added.
    bananas, mango, papaya
    other fruits you like
    dried fruits like figs, apricots, dates, raisins
    beans - dried are best, but if you donīt like to cook, canned are ok - get a few different kinds as the nutritional value varies.
    tofu, seitan, or other substitute meat as you like.
    vegetable and/or fruit juice

This is just a basic list - there are alot more foods to enjoy, but eating from this list should cover your nutrition pretty well -

Check the recipes thread for some ideas on preparing foods.

good luck,
    globesetter

julieruble

Nice list, globesetter. Reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what seitan is...

Hi Julie.... I was kinda wondering myself.
    Here's the dictionary's definition :

Wheat gluten cooked in tamari, kombu, and water. Seitan can be made at home or purchased ready-made at many natural food stores. Many people use it as a meat substitute.
    To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha

julieruble

hmm, interesting. Thanks Gary I wonder what the consistency's like. Tofu-ish maybe?

Julie, this seems to cover it pretty well...
    Check it out.......

http://ohoh.essortment.com/whatisseitan_rkgb.htm
    To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha

julieruble

That certainly does cover it well. Texture and all. Thanks for the link, Gary!

Thanks all of you very much, It helped alot I know there's alot of variety in vegan foods I just wanted to make sure to get all the nutrition i needed, now i will.

Yea, there's tons of variety in vegan foods. So much, in fact that it would take a ton of lifetimes to exhaust them all.

Quote julieruble
    Nice list, globesetter. Reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what seitan is...

I like seitan alot, although I try not to eat too many wheat products - I think they affect my digestion if I overdo them.

A month or so after I went vegan, I got a weird craving for the texture of meat - not the taste - so i bought my first seitan filet - I cut it up and used it in a stir fry, as I would have chicken when I was an omnie - I was amazed at the texture - if no one told me, I would have thought it was meat.

If you make it yourself, you donīt have to cook it in tamari - you can use whatever seasoning/broth you like to get different flavors.

I havenīt tried it yet - something to do on a dull Sunday afternoon....

regards,
    globesetter

[QUOTE=foxytina_69] rice bread that is vegan (cant eat flour cause of celiac disease)... QUOTE]

Why isn't flour vegan? It doesn't contain animals products does it?

julieruble

Flour is vegan, but Foxy has celiac disease and can't eat flour... so she eats rice bread instead.

(correct me if I'm wrong, Foxy

[QUOTE=GreenEnvy]
    Quote foxytina_69
    rice bread that is vegan (cant eat flour cause of celiac disease)... QUOTE] Why isn't flour vegan? It doesn't contain animals products does it?
    Many types of bread contain milk, or egg, even honey. Just have to check the ingredients listing.
    Eve

So is bread vegan then? (sorry to hear about your illness Foxy)

Ok thank you. So what ingredients will I need to avoid?

Quote GreenEnvy
    Ok thank you. So what ingredients will I need to avoid?
    You can find information from this thread .