Thread: vegan girls become vegan women and keep on evolving thru the 'MP' feedback please!

Default vegan girls become vegan women and keep on evolving thru the 'MP' feedback please!

hi
    i have, for some time, wanted to do some research on vegan women and the menopause.
    i was inspired by a 51 year old vegan lady who came to my herbal training clinic.
    This woman had already completed her menopause and was there on another health matter but she looked amazing, slim, beautiful and years and years younger than her age.
    it made me think, 'wow, if i look even a quarter as good as that wen im 51 i shall be lucky!'
    So what im wanting to know is. basically, anyone out there gone thru their MP as a vegan, or in the middle of it or approaching it and want to talk about it?
    maybe discuss symptoms u did or did not get like hot flushes etc.
    in fact i really ought to write up a list so will edit this post wen i got that sorted

Default Re: vegan girls become vegan women and keep on evolving thru the 'MP' feedback please!

Hi Rain,
    I'm 62 so yes, about 11 years ago. All I can tell you though is my periods just stopped. I had absolutely none of the things you always hear about.
    I just felt normal. I certainly never took any sort of medication.

Whether this was due to being vegan or the fact that a friend of mine went through it a few years before me and became such a pain in the ass & drove everyone insane with her constant whining, and I made up my mind
    never to be like that....I don't know.
    Humm.....OK, lets forget that and give the credit to being vegan...

Default Re: vegan girls become vegan women and keep on evolving thru the 'MP' feedback please!

I'm almost 50 and have been vegan for twelve years or so. I haven't had any pre-menopausal symptoms so far but I don't want to tempt providence! Encouraged to hear from keykeypie though.

How prevalent are the symptoms among omnivorous women, rianaelf? Most of my non-vegan friends haven't been complaining either so I wonder whether the stories one hears focus on the worst cases (those talked up by HRT manufacturers ) .

ah kool, keykeypie, that's certainly good news

harpy, i'm going to put up a list of symptoms, altho i feel some of them are rather vague and could apply to almost anyone <like horrorscopes!>
    i should also post a form that peole can fill out with a yes or no answer so we can get some statistics

mango

My mother is about 95% vegan and had no problems at all. Lots of soya, nuts and seeds she reckons.

Default Re: vegan girls become vegan women and keep on evolving thru the 'MP' feedback please

35 Symptoms of Menopause

I found this list of 35 supposedly common symptoms of menopause. The problem is that, on any particularly hypocondriacal day, I can convince myself that I suffer from at least half of these! And I'm 24! So you're right, rianaelf, they're just like horrorscopes.

"Headache change: increase or decrease" -- what a ridiculously vague symptom!

My mum (a very big meat-eater) had a horrible menopause, especially with the hot flushes and night sweats. But she still has them and is years past it all. I never want to be like that.

I'm a long way from menopause, sorry I can't help there. I did read this article the other day and thought I'd share:
    http://www.pcrm.org/news/commentary020725.html
    The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

Default Re: vegan girls become vegan women and keep on evolving thru the 'MP' feedback please

Hi ... I am 48 and have only been vegan for about 6 weeks. Previously I was ovo-lacto for 18months and previous to that on/off ovo-lacto all my adult life. I have suffered from premature menopause since I was around 43, started with nightsweats, irregular periods, depression, horrendous PMS, mood swings and the worst insomnia you can imagine. I'm not sure how I actually functioned for several years when the insomnia was at its worst. I have other endocrine problems (an underactive thyroid and addison's disease (absence of cortisol production) ) which cause early menopause. I feel as though I have been to hell and back - I was not prepared for this nightmare (I thought menopause was stopping of periods (yay!) and that was it!) I am happy to say I feel much better but still suffer from depression (I have a family history), hot flushes, weight gain (especially around the middle). I think the worst symptoms for me were the insomnia and depression. I have recently started on some different anti-depressants and feel the best I have felt in years. Since my permanent switch to vegetarianism I have felt better both mentally (I feel I've developed a kind of inner peace and feel more comfortable in my own skin) and physically (no longer suffer from IBS and constipation), but I must say I think, just like childbirth, periods etc, menopause is different for all women. My sister is 52 and hasn't even started it yet! Despite the hell I've been through, I now look back and see a positive in that my premature menopause has meant I have not had so much exposure to eostrogen which is good as my mum had breast cancer last year. Anyway, sorry to rant - I guess the soy and flax in a vegan diet could help with the hot flushes as a lot of Asian women don't suffer from them. Unfortunately I have to limit my intake of soy because of the thyroid condition - the joys of being female!

Hi rianaelf, I'm well post-MP (in my late 70s) and had no probs whatsoever. Never had a hot flush or any of those other conditions that friends tell me they suffer from. I go swimming at 6am every day except Sundays, play bowls, do some voluntary work of helping senior citizens with computer matters, and have lived a vegan lifestyle for around 40 years. People tell me I look years younger
    Eve

Goodness, Eve - you do look years younger in the photo in your profile. Are you sure that's really you?

gee thanks, and yep, it's me!
    Eve

Lilac Hamster

I just looked at your pic Eve, I thought you were about 50 something, 60 at the most from the picture.

One of my vegan friends who is a few years older than me told me it was not bad for her going through the menopause. Hope it is that easy for me.

I also wish I looked young for my age, I was so upset and offended in a shop the other week when the man behind the counter asked me my age and I told him and he said he thought I was about.. well I will not say how old but let's just say I was quite offended at the age he would have guessed. I don't even know why he could not keep this to himself if he thought I did look a lot older than I was, it's just not the kind of thing you say to someone, especially a shop customer. I know he is an idiot though because I was talking about this incident with a couple of women around my age and they thought he was being just ridiculous and no way did I look anything like that age. I think I look about my age not older or younger and I am not vain but boy was I upset!!

Woah Eve, I always assumed you were in your 30's - even having rushed to view your profile no way do you look your age
    I may be starting the menopause (I'm almost 45) as I am 2 weeks late and have been regular as clockwork all my life), well either that or the alternative which is unthinkable!!!
    I have to lose 3 stone now before the menopause hits, trouble is even though I eat all home cooked food and no pre-packaged now the weight just stays on - I suppose exercise is an option but it's a bit drastic
    Have any of you had problems shifting poundage at the menopause.
    Most folk say I look about 35 prob due to Italian genes and no meat for years.
    Silent but deadly :p

PainterLady

****FAINTING***** Eve, you have the fountain of youth! You look amazingly young! I thought you were 36 like me!!!!!!!!

Hi Hemlock - I am really struggling with my weight since menopause. My weight has fluctuated all my adult life but I was around 57kg before menopause and now I'm around 65kg! I now carry more weight from the waist up (now I'm lacking in female hormones) and loads around my stomach. When I lose weight (which I find much harder now) it tends to come off the back of my thighs so all my pants are baggy at the back. I hate this 'middle age spread' as when you're fat round the stomach you feel fat all over. In the past I've carried it more around my thighs and bum. And my boobs are much bigger and I feel as though I'm 'busting out all over' (much to my husband's delight!) It gets me down but then I think how lucky I am to have lived to 48 when I hear of young women dying of breast cancer etc. Because of my early menopause (caused by endocrine problems) I am at increased risk of osteoporosis so becoming vegan and exercising are the 2 most important things I can do to help protect myself. I am trying now to focus on a healthy vegan diet and not beating myself up when I eat something 'junky'. My new year's resolution will be to work more on eliminating binge eating / overeating (which obviously contributes to the abdominal fat!) and being more accepting of being bigger than I used to be. If I lose weight then great, if I don't then tough luck .. I will just have to live with it!

WoW, so many replies, wicked, thankx veganettes!! <doesnt know where to start>

Seems that most are having a good time evolving into the nxt stage of their lives.
    Actually it would be interesting to do a survey of vegan teenagers as well if we had enuf of them!

first of all, crongratulations to all the ladies who have successfully passed one of the most difficult tests of our gender
    vegan girlies rock

mango, that's good news about your mum!

Imapeach, i know what you mean some of the symptoms are rather vague but the hotsweats i think are specific. Shame about what happened to your mother when she was on her menopause but im sure that wont happen to you as well

focus, thankx for the link, it is interesting

Woodsie, it soundz like you have a lot to deal with but hopefully all will continue to improve and im sure we can find alternatives that may help

eve, well the name says it all, you truly are amazing!

Lilac Hamster, that man obviously needs glasses

Hemlock, there are lots of ways to lose weight, i'm sure you will make it!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk