Thread: Cabbage Anyone?

Question Cabbage Anyone?

Does anyone know any good ways to eat cabbage, other than just boiled? Or failing that, some other green roughage?

I'm a major fan of flavoursum food and herbs and spices, and me and my boyfriend love to be creative in the kitchen, but we are really stumped by this one!!!!

Thanks,

WolfRain!

Default Re: Cabbage Anyone?

I like it mixed with leek and steamed. Lovely with some gravy as part of a roast dinner, or with pie and mash. Gravy is pretty essential with it, though.

Actually that sounds quite nice, and practical for me as both my leeks and cabbages will be ready for picking soon (I'm the only 16 year old with an allotment lol!).

i guess ther's always coleslaw, grated cabbage, carrot, oil or vegan maionaeise <or however u spell it!> a few walnuts, grated apple, lemon etc

That sounds like a good idea to try, cheers!

I've just had a thought about sticking some cabbage, leek, potato, carrot ect into a kind of stir-fry english garden style. Unsure on the sauce though.... and no idea how it will turn out

You can fry it, I had some finely sliced sweetheart cabbage the other day in a 'seaweed' stlye dish like you get from chinese restaurants.

Also had it stir fried as you mentioned today as it happens. Used chinese 5 spice, soy sauce and sesame oil to flavour it.

Bubble and squeak is good too.

Ok, well tommorrow nights dinner if cabbage stir-fry (as long as my cabbages are ready!!!)

Im trying to think about how to make a spicy cabbage bake.... Should I just bung the cabbage (slightly cooked) and some cajun spice into a glass tray with some olive oil/soy oil? or add something extra?

I need pleanty of ideas lol. I didn't plan on so many cabbages making it it was the same with the onions!!!!

Chilly

Grated cabbage, with some home made Italian dressing is phenomenal! Especially as a snack. It's good with red cabbage too, or do what I do and mix it.

You'd need to make sure that the leaves can't dry out, I don't think it'd be very nice if they did.

Depending on the variety of the cabbage you could also have stuffed leaves, I had them a couple of weeks back stuffed with a mix of nuts , onions and tomato I think (I got the recipe off the net).

You could also make sauerkraut, I've never made it or even tasted it though so I don't know how good it is or how easy to make.

Yogini

I like chopped red cabbage in my salad.

Yeah, I will have to take some care to avoid them drying out. Still, I will give it a (non-violent) stab.

I love the idea Chilly! Thats diffently on my "to cook" list!

PygmyGoat

There's always Cabbage Soup of course! .

There's a raw recipe by Victoria Boutenko but it's good no matter what you eat. I can easily eat an entire head of cabbage with this one.

1 head white cabbage, shredded
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast

Mix together and enjoy. It's best not to let this one sit once you've added the yeast. It goes a bit strange. And I love nutritional yeast so I usually use much more.

I like a nice coleslaw.

Cabbage, finely shredded
    Grated carrot
    Finely chopped celery
    Finely diced green beans
    Borlotti beans (tinned)
    I add a handful of herb pasta too sometimes.
    Vegan mayo and herb salt.

Wallah!

(I usually also add flax seed oil and avocado oil with lime.)

You could make Korean kimchi. I've never made it but I buy it all the time and it's delicious.

I like it sauteed in a skillet with salt and pepper and olive oil till soft, then add leftover cooked rice to the mix (like half cabbage and half rice) cooked for a few more minutes to a soft, yummy comforty mix.

Or, my absolutely favorite cabbage dish (only if you love red beets like I do ),

BORSCHT SOUP!!
    6 cups shredded cabbage (1 small green cabbage)
    1 cup veg broth (use veg bullion cubes for this if needed)
    1 15 oz. can great northern beans (white beans, rinsed and drained)
    1 15 oz. can tomatoes, diced
    2 15 oz. cans of sliced red beets including the liquid (undrained)
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (not ketchup, but tomato sauce)
    1 large onion, sliced and ringed
    1/4 cup brown or white sugar
    2 TBSP. vinegar
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. dillweed
    (vegan sour cream like Tofutti's Better than Sour Cream - optional)

In a large pot/kettle (like a 4qt. dutch oven), combine everthing EXCEPT the optional vegan sour cream. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer for 20 minutes. Then, when served in bowels, add a dolop of the sour cream if desired, but not needed.
    This soup is soo good hot, and I even like it chilled in the summer!

Congratulations on your harvest!

I like cabbage raw, but if you want to cook it, here are a couple more ideas:

1) (for a side dish) stir-fry chopped-up cabbage leaves with a little oil, then mix in a good spoonful of wholegrain mustard and a dash of veggie worcester sauce or similar.

2) (for a main course) fry a chopped onion in a small amount of oil, then add cut-up tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, and sliced boiled potatoes. Fry for a couple of minutes more, then add cabbage and either sliced vegan sausages (e.g. Redwood ones) or marinated tofu chunks. Cook until the cabbage is just wilted. Season before serving.

I like some savoy cabbage in my curry

Bubble and squeek?
    You can stick anything in onions, mushrooms, herbs etc..to make it look a bit more lively!!

Rosalind

Google recipes for aloo sag and substitute the sag (spinach) with finely shredded green cabbage.
    Or shred and add to stir fry.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

try it in this brocoli coleslaw dish:
    chopped green and red cabbage
    chopped brocoli
    sliced carrots
    almonds
    raspberry vinnegarette dressing (vegan friendly of course)

you can throw in whatever else you like, but overall it makes a very simple but nice side addition to any meal or just a great snack.

and here's a link for the humble cabbages medicianl properties

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/v.../medicinal.htm

ps, pleez ignore the isolated mention of an egg cos the carpet bit is rather funny i think!
    Last edited by rianaelf; Oct 3rd, 2006 at 12:56 AM. Reason: i needed to add somethink more

Dark green cabbage and red lentils are a marriage made in heave, IMHO. One good way to use them both is in a soup. Just boil up lentils with a tin a tomatoes, some stock, crushed garlic, finely chopped chipotle chillies, and chopped cabbage. Boil until the lentils are cooked. This soup gets better the longer you leave it...

Also, if I make any kind of lentil dahl or curry I steam some green cabbage and stir it in while the lentils are cooking.

Another good thing to do is to chop and steam the green cabbage and stir it into mashed potato and serve with pie and gravy for wintery comfort food.

For white cabbage I make a really nice south Indian dish called cabbage thoran. I use the recipe from Rose Elliot "Fast Fresh and Fabulous" but there are lots on the internet.

PygmyGoat

seems I can no longer eat Cabbages due to my I.B.S. I tried some last night and found my stomach was rock hard and painful later on in the evening .

prilly-pie

CABBAGE MAKEs ME PARP

ermm - this is for with sunday dinner .
    Make a stuffing - breadcrumbs, oil, sage, cashews(optional) - instead of having plain, add in finely shredded cabbage (blanched), make into patties, and u can grill, dry fry or fry - and then enjoy ur stuffing cabbage burgers

i hope u like them as much as me

pavotrouge

I've never been particularly fond of "traditional" German dishes, but learned to prepare an easy + vegan + traditional German cabbage dish this week... you chop the cabbage (not too fine) and saut&#233; it with a chopped onion, spice it with margarine, a bit sugar and sweet vinegar (white wine/rice wine), salt, pepper and cumin.

It's either eaten with broad broken noodles (I broke some lasagna into small parts, but it could also imagine it with tagliatelle) or Sp&#228;tzle, a German speciality that is usually made with eggs- though I've found vegan ones in my health food store, I guess you won't get them outside of Germany.

Quote Risker View Post
    Bubble and squeak is good too.
    Second to that, Risker!

Also if you mash a tin of refried beans into the potato, cabbage, onion (and /or leek) with a bit of carrot and whatever else you fancy - you get a fancy Bubbe and Squeak, or lovely burger type thingy. Fry, dry fry, or oven bake. You could even roll into sausage shapes and coat in bread crumbs, polenta, flax meal (tastes nutty and adds Omega 3) or any type of seeds, before cooking.

I had the burger type version of this two nights ago, made with day old baked potatoes - I left the skin on. It was lovely, mildly spicy (not hot, it's only cumin in refried beans) just flavoursome.

Play around with it.
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

Quote EFCliz View Post
    Also, if I make any kind of lentil dahl or curry I steam some green cabbage and stir it in while the lentils are cooking.
    I second this as well - Lentil Dhal and cabbage is unexpectedly GORGEOUS!

Also try here: www.vegweb.com

Enter cabbage in the search box you get two pages of recipes!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

Quote insubordination View Post
    You could make Korean kimchi. I've never made it but I buy it all the time and it's delicious.
    mmm. It is lovely.

I love cabbage...

I like it raw in coleslaw or finely shredded in a salad or very lightly steamed then sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds - (this used to be my breakfast in Japan with some tofu! yum!)

You could also juice cabbage with some apples... it sounds horrible but tastes really nice!

pavotrouge

I don't mean to play vegan police and don't know what it's like in other countries, but I know various Koreans and they all put fish flakes/sauce into their kimchi T_T

I used to love it too, but knowing that...

Quote rianaelf View Post
    and here's a link for the humble cabbages medicianl properties

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/v.../medicinal.htm

ps, pleez ignore the isolated mention of an egg cos the carpet bit is rather funny i think!

LOL! I take it you have to use a green cabbage, because wouldn't some of the colored juice from red/purple cabbage rub off on the carpet and stain? Or is the juice not colored? I am not a big fan of cabbage other than raw in salad!