Thread: Exercise or Diet?

Question Exercise or Diet?

A few years ago I was put on some medication that made me put on weight, then I started on a second lot and put on more weight. I'm not actually over weight (I think), and all of what I have put on has gone to my stomach and hips.

I do regular-ish exercise (walking and running after the dog), aerobics for an hour and a half once a week, and lots of digging and carrying at my allotment, plus a bit of Yoga when I have a spare half hour.

My diet is mostly Fibre and then a mix of Protien and Carbs, as I eat mainly Vegetables with the occasional bit of marmite on toast, or pasta dish.

Should I exercise more, or do what I don't want to do, and diet?

WolfRain

Yogini

Default Re: Exercise, or Diet?

I always thought that conventional wisdom was you need to do both, but exercise is more important. I recently ran into someone who insisted it was the total opposite, but I suspect she was talking out her *ss. What works for me is making sure I burn more calories than I eat.

I have been aiming for both, but I have never counted my calories, and to be honest I don't know how Its something that in my mind has been linked with obessive, which I guess can be wrong but I have been so worried about becoming that myself. How would I go about calorie counting safely?

I did take up jogging a little while back, but it only lasted about a month, as I couldn't handle the heat at 9 am. Maybe now its cooled down I could start again! I'm sure my husky would love that lol.

WolfRain

I think if you are already eating quite healthily, then exercise is definitely the way to control your weight. I'm not sure what happens though regarding the drugs you took/take and weight gain...how do they affect you other than the weight gain?

Also remember that you are still young and your shape will change as you get older. Being fit is more important than being the "right" weight I think.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm not so much worried about being the "right" weight. Last time I checked my BMI was fine, I just think it would be nice to tone up a bit.

My first pill gives me irregualar periods. The second irregular periods, extreme tiredness (when doseage is too high), withdrawal symptoms such as trmbolling and extreme mood swings if I take it too late, and if my doctor suspects correctly, it has also given me a dairy allergy! Oh, and there is weight gain lol.

Yogini

Quote WolfRain View Post
    I have been aiming for both, but I have never counted my calories, and to be honest I don't know how Its something that in my mind has been linked with obessive, which I guess can be wrong but I have been so worried about becoming that myself. How would I go about calorie counting safely?
    I log my nutritional intake and activity output at www.fitday.com. It's free. Unless you have a history of disordered eating, I wouldn't worry too much about becoming obsessive - there's nothing wrong with having a general idea of how much you're consuming and how much you're expending.

what kind of carbs are you eating? white or what?
    why are u on meds?
    why worry about dairy allergy when you are vegan?
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

Default Re: Exercise or Diet?

My carbs are mixed between wholgrain and white, but I properly could incourperate more wholegrain.

I am on pills because I have been diagnosed with E-O schizophrenia, and I have to take them for at least 3 more years. I am also on the mini-pill as a contraceptive.

I'm not worried about my dairy allergy, Im more p**sed off bout it. If my anti-phsycotic is changing the way I digest my food what else is it changing? My previous tablet damaged my kidney (only slightly) so this is a second stab. The manufactour says my anti-physcotic (olanzapine) is not to be used on under 18's. I've been on it since I was 14! Im worried about what else it's going to do to my body!

If you are dealing with a major illness like schizopherinia I think you have to really look after yourself and not push yourself too hard. Concentrate on eating a balanced healthy diet with plenty of non alcoholic non caffineated drinks, and plenty of fruit and veg. Get some exercise every day, walking, gardening and running would be good.
    Discuss your concerns about the drugs with your doctor. Maybe there are alternatives.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Yogini View Post
    I always thought that conventional wisdom was you need to do both, but exercise is more important. I recently ran into someone who insisted it was the total opposite, but I suspect she was talking out her *ss. What works for me is making sure I burn more calories than I eat.
    Here's how I believe it works (a bit long, sorry) : My mate plays football -- everyone in his team is in his 40s and they are all pretty fit. Recently they came up against some 20 year olds. My mate's team were absolutely run ragged by blokes 20 years younger than themselves. That's when you realise there's a difference to being fit at 20, being fit at 40, and being fit at 60.

When you are 20 you can eat whatever the hell you like and still run around enough to burn it off.

When you are 40 you can you can/should still be "fit for 40" -- but you can't exercise to quite the same intensity or duration that you could when you were 20 -- your exercise now is not quite enough to burn off all the fat -- you need to watch what you eat too.

When you're 60 you can't run around enough to burn off much fat at all -- if you have to lose weight it will be by dieting alone. Again, exercise is still necessary for health and fitness and it is good to be "fit for 60" -- but this is a very different level from "fit for 20" and it's not enough to lose weight.

Sorry that was a bit long-winded. But that has actually been my experience and I've seen this many times with people of all different ages that I work with (I'm a physio).

And just to add a final bit: all the above are generalisations because I've seen 40 year olds who are way fitter than some 20 year olds, (I've also seen some seriously fit and strong 60 year olds too). Like I said, generalisations but basically true for the people that I work with.

Owen

Did you see that TV programme where a team of "oldies" took on a team of teenagers to do various physical events (swimming, running, etc)? The older people only just lost! It was very interesting.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Seaside

That sounds reasonable owen, and not long-winded to me! Weight loss happens when you create a calorie deficit; fewer calories coming in than being burned, and it is WAY easier to knock 500 to 1000 calories out of your diet each day than it is to burn them through exercise. A combination of the two is probably best.

Talking Re: Exercise or Diet?

This morning I found out that I have actually been losing weight, I just hadn't noticed. In our house we have no scales, which I think is a good thing, so I just go by my clothes.

While on a hunt in my wardrobe for my allotment jeans I found a skirt that I had bought about 3 months ago from the local charity shop where I work. I really really loved that skirt and couldn't wait to wear it. However when I got home I couldn't do it up by about half an inch, and today when I pulled it on just to check if it would fit, it did - with some breathing room too!

Im quite sure that it wasn't just water retention the first time, as I am going through a bloated period at the moment, so thats great.

And as well as losing half an inch I'm feeling much healthier too, lots more energy and my skin looks better. (Plus Im not being sick, and the itching in my ear has stopped!)

I haven't actually done much more exercise - just 5 mins of jogging with my dog, and then the usual aerobics on Wednesdays, and digging and watering at my allotment.

So, yep I'm chuffed

Quote WolfRain View Post
    I haven't actually done much more exercise - just 5 mins of jogging with my dog, and then the usual aerobics on Wednesdays, and digging and watering at my allotment.
    So, yep I'm chuffed
    This sounds like quite a healthy exercise plan! Gardening is good exercise.

Yep gardening really works all your musles. This time of year I am just weeding and watering with the occaional bit of harvesting, but in a month or so I'll only have my winter cabbages and winter poatoes in, so I will have to be digging the ground and working in manure which is really hard work. I completely love it though, there is nothing better than pulling up a few carrots and then eating them for dinner 30 mins later! Thats freshness you can't get anywhere else!

Also you know exactly whats been on your food first hand, so you don't have to worry about nasty pesticides or anything.

Recent studies in Australia conducted by a professor at the Institute of sport found that a combination of sensible diet and 1 hour of high intensity cardio (sweating) and 1 hour of weights x 3 a week produced the quickest, and most weight loss. This was compared to diet alone, exercise alone and different forms of exercise such as walking etc.

The program that works best for me and I've been indulging in fitness and health for more than 20 years is this:

5 smaller meals per day with at least 2 with a good protein intake.
    complex carbs only (wholegrains,beans etc)
    1 hour of high intensity aerobic activity 5-6 days a week
    1 hour weights x 3 per week.

This will; get rid of excess weight and keep it off.

What if you're so out of shape you can't do an hour of high intensity aerobics?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

both, sorta.... I've started watching my weight about 15 months ago. only lost 3 kg =/ now I'm kinda stuck, though after a certain fast (I don't feel like elaborating, but it was a 25 hours fast) I lost half a kg. I hope I stayed this way because I wanna lose 2 more kg

sports I do randomally, not too often... roller-skates, walking, boxing, or some training on some sports stuff at home
    "I think, therefore I'm vegan"

You wouldn't need to do 1hr.
    It's all based on each individuals fitness levels.
    The unfiiter you are the less work required and with more fitness you can increase time and intesity.
    I always believe you should do the excercise firstly to increase fitness levels then when they are good enough, that's when you aim tostart dumping the weight as you can train harder and longer on less fuel.

Even 10 minutes walking is a good start. If you can do power walking even better. Or 5 minutes easy walking then 5 minutes power walking.
    Or housework! Cleaning floors and baths can be quite energetic. Also climbing stairs instead of using lifts.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    No one would expect you to be able to do this straight away - you build up to it. The main thing is to always challenge yourself so you don't plateau.

If you're really unfit then you need to do as I did after the birth of my last child - start slowly.

I initially could only do 4 mins on the bike, 4 mins on the stepper and 10 mins on the treadmill or 15 mins brisk walking and some days at the start this would be enough to make me feel like vomiting at the end of it, but persistance is the key. Every 2 weeks I would add 1 minute to my routine until I got to where I wanted to be ( an hour of rigorous activity).

If your really out of shape even 10 mins walking would be really beneficial for weight loss at the start.

I think weights are really key to weight loss and toning and also useful for preventing future osteo etc.

These days I feel so great. I've managed to overcome CFS and constant illnesses and I feel more toned and healthier than I did as a teenager and you will too but it takes time just like it did to put the weight on. Don't take my work for it ask a professional, many trainers have free initial consults or research online.

Even if you incorporate the 5 smaller meals a day, you should notice a difference after a few weeks.

Hey guys, just to let you know I have put in a new exercise rutine thats going well. I do one hour of aerobics a week, and at least another 2 1/2 hours of work at my allotment. I've tried doing some jogging, but that needs work so for now I am just running along with the dog for a minute or two!

Food wise I am just eating like normal which seems to be going well, although my mother keeps nagging me that I'm not getting enough protien and I should "at least eat eggs" lol

LittleNellColumbia

Just thought I would update this thread. My weight has reached a stable 8stone 2pounds, and I seem to be staying there even though I have given up aerobics and gardening (started college). Im very happy with the way I am now, but might start looking for a exercise class near me so that I can keep in shape. Possibly yoga, always loved that!

WolfRain

I'd say that both are really essential to having a good body. The diet is great cause it keeps you healthy and functioning (vitamins, minerals, CHOs, protein, etc). The exercize keeps your muscles toned and burning calories. I mean, have you ever noticed "skinny fat" people? They have low bmis, but they are all jiggly and "fat". (high body fat percentages)They don't exercize, but they also don't eat much. I'd rather do moderate amounts of both activities.

The standard I've heard to lower risk of heart disease and breast cancer is moderate 200 minutes of cardio each week with 30 minutes of weight training three times each week. Personally, I toned up last year by cutting down fat and calories and increasing my exercize to about an hour five days a week. This really helped me to tone up and lower my body fat. Now just to get that body back...
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote WolfRain View Post
    I have given up aerobics and gardening (started college). Im very happy with the way I am now, but might start looking for a exercise class near me so that I can keep in shape. Possibly yoga, always loved that!

WolfRain
    understand the college thing! hope its going well for you!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

studies have shown that you can loose weight by changing just your diet. but to keep it off you need to excersize as well... why cant i spell that word?
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    studies have shown that you can loose weight by changing just your diet. but to keep it off you need to excersize as well... why cant i spell that word?
    Can one reason be that you read so quickly that you don't notice how to spell words, eg the word exercise is the title of this topic. While there, how about how to lose weight (not loose it)? don't worry!
    Eve

Ever since I stopped going to Yoga, I haven't put on any weight, but I've noticed that my body shape has changed. It's not as toned as it was. Naturally this is going to happen I suppose.

Quote eve View Post
    Can one reason be that you read so quickly that you don't notice how to spell words, eg the word exercise is the title of this topic. While there, how about how to lose weight (not loose it)? don't worry!
    i have never once in my life claimed to be good at spelling
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

But you're good at other stuff

why did you stop yoga, roxy! i thought you enjoyed it so much!?!
    -henry miller

Well, the class had evolved into something totally different to what it was. It became a really big class because all these mums who knew each other from the local school started coming along, and they used the Yoga class as a social get together. It was no longer a nice, calm, meditative experience. It was a big loud class with all these big loud women carrying on. Just wasn't my cup of tea anymore.

As it turns out though, the studio has now closed down because the building it was in is being torn down to make way for a new developement.

Pilaf

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    You build up to it gradually..your body will adjust (build the appropriate muscles, shed fat) as you progress.

Eight months ago I began jogging five minutes three days a week.

I'm up to an hour now, and on the other days I lift weights. I'm down sixty lbs. I've also eliminated all sweets, caffeine and salty snacks from my diet.

That's unreal Pilaf! Congratulations

Quote Pilaf View Post
    You build up to it gradually..your body will adjust (build the appropriate muscles, shed fat) as you progress.

Eight months ago I began jogging five minutes three days a week.
    you really began with such a small amount and built up? that's amazing - i guess sticking to the routine, however simple and basic it is to start, is the key?

i'm hoping to start swimming again 2 - 3 times a week tomorrow - just for 10 lengths per visit (someitmes i try and push more but it's always a mistake till i'm used to it - i end up exhausted and defeated) - but first i need to shave my legs!! LOL

Good sperm

Last June I started running 5 minutes every other day, and it exhausted me. I am now up to running 2.5 hrs (about 13 miles or so) every Saturday as well as 3 thirty minute speed/hill training sessions during the week and 2 hours of swimming.

Just build it up slowly. The rule with running is don't increase your mileage by more than 10% a week or you'll get injured.

I recommend starting small and building up, and doing a mix of exercise - my current routine alternates doing cardio and weights in the gym with aquafit classes - it helps to have variety. I started by going to the gym and gradually increasing what I could do, then I began classes when I felt in the right mood for pushing myself. It is as much about the right frame of mind as it is about doing stuff, and starting small helps a lot with that. And it is very motivating to reflect on what I was able to do 6 months ago with what I am doing now.

ok, legs are shaved and i'm starting today..

I've been doing cardio to augment my figure skating for a long time now, but I've progressed to the point where I'm learning to do edge jumps and I'm finding that I just don't have the power. T_T I have access to the school gym with all the machines I could dream up... any advice on what to work on to help? Also, I'd like to be able to do a push-up once in my life. What kind of habits should one adopt for strength training?
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

yay i actually went swimming and am pleased with myself.

mila - i found a good way to start push ups is to do the 'kneeling push up'. kneel on all fours then you can do the push ups in the kneeling position which is easier than laying flat. try it and see. increase by maybe 5 or 10 per week and do every other day.

Mila. I would advise you to see a personal trainer, just initially for professional advice. Everyone is d/t and have d/t weaknessess and it is better to have this assessed and worked on. Push ups are really hard, so practice on your knees. You really need to make sure your technique is spot on so you don't hurt your back etc. With weights technique is everything otherwise you are wasting your time - another reason why it might be worth seeking prof advice.

Bikram Yoga people....its the truth.

I've been doing it for a year and a half now and I've never felt better. My skin is clear and I'm 10 pounds lighter than when I started. Classes are time consuming (1.5 hours) but its totally worth it. I dragged by boyfriend along for a couple months and now he's an addict himself! hehehe

Khashoggi

I've read somewhere that swimmers actually tend to gain weight.

Cardiovascular activity is generally the best for burning fat, though, so if running or cycling is an option...? I love running, though, so I'm totally biased.

the rule of thumb I've been given eat well and exercise more. they also say that it's always better to exercise over cutting back unless you eat stupid amounts of crap. the problem is that if you don't eat enough you lose energy and get really lethargic. this means that most aspects of your life suffer and you're no longer feeling up to exercise anymore.

Eat food*, not too much, mostly plants.

So says Michael Pollen & I have to agree with him & bradders.

*thats proper food, proper meals, lovingly prepared & shared in conviviality. A bit of 'crap' (like Rashers or chocolate is okay occasionally as is the odd TV dinnner or lunch on the run)
    No guru, no method, no teacher