Thread: Polyunsaturates bad?

Default Polyunsaturates bad?

i'm guessing this is probably old news to some of you out there but i've only just come across info like this and was wondering what you all thought of it...its freaked me out a bit...

http://www.katebush.info/the_fats_of_life.pdf

I hope that link comes up alright - i'm no good at this sort of thing - but basically its saying that polyunsaturates (sunflower oil etc) are causing us lots of harm and we would be better off switching to saturated fats like coconut oil. I have possible thyroid issues so am really interested in what it has to say! Thanks people!!

PygmyGoat

Default Re: Polyunsaturates bad?

Thanks, that was interesting and your link worked fine .

I'm really thinking that most fats are horrible, especially when processed and/or cooked .

saturated fats raise your cholesterol and too much of these fats can cause clogged arteries. Polyunsaturated and unsaturated fats are better for you. Who is kate bush?

coconut oil is great for your outside though, skin moisturizer.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Well apparently there is some contraversy out there about whether the unsaturated fats are good for us after all - i have been reading that they go rancid almost as soon as we ingest them and they oxidate easily whereas saturated fats dont do this because they are more stable - the unsaturated fats also have implications for cancer and heart disease apparently - this link below gives a good explanation of the argument...

http://www.thescreamonline.com/essay...-1/vegoil.html

Has anyone else read about this?

Oh and sorry!! Kate Bush is a singer i think - how the fat article got linked to her website i have no idea!!!

Quote Chocs4me View Post
    Well apparently there is some contraversy out there about whether the unsaturated fats are good for us after all - i have been reading that they go rancid almost as soon as we ingest them and they oxidate easily whereas saturated fats dont do this because they are more stable - the unsaturated fats also have implications for cancer and heart disease apparently - this link below gives a good explanation of the argument...

http://www.thescreamonline.com/essay...-1/vegoil.html

Has anyone else read about this?

I'm very skeptical about this article. Here are some things it says:

"Get reacquainted with pasture-fed butter, lard, and tallow products, and other traditional saturated fats like coconut oil. Throw away the canola, corn, and soy oil. Stay away from anything that contains polyunsaturated fats. Kiss tofu goodbye, and forget soymilk, soy yogurt, soy cheese, soy protein, and soy lecithin."

"You too may join a 21st-century diet revolution—one that reserves polyunsaturated vegetable oils for use in paint and varnish while filling the kitchen with healthful saturated fats such as like virgin organic coconut oil, butter, eggs, and meat from pasture-fed animals."

I don't think so...
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

PygmyGoat

^ I didn't read that bit!

I think there is some evidence that monounsaturates such as olive oil are preferable to polyunsaturates such as sunflower oil from the point of view that monounsaturates have a more favourable effect on your blood lipid levels ("good" and "bad" cholesterol).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

(Of course the relationship between cholesterol and health is controversial as well but what isn't? )

I believe sunflower oil also contains a high level of omega 6 oils which (in excess) are meant to interfere with the body's ability to process omega 3 oils, but I'm getting out of my depth here.

I tend to use olive oil in preference to sunflower. Tastes nicer anyway Not planning to include any lard or tallow products - are they having a laugh?

I know what you mean about the article recommending butter etc - obviously that is a no no for us lot, but i was pondering to myself - should we reject the rest of the information because a portion of it is unacceptable/wrong to us - or is that a hint that the rest of the info could be questionable as well?

Maybe i will switch to using coconut oil for a while as opposed to the 'Pure' vegan spread i'm using along with smaller doses of olive oil and see if i notice any difference - i think my real fears are to do with impending thyroid test results which werent looking too good last time and i really dont want to be taking meds for the rest of my life!

Thanks!