Thread: Vegan Gardening - what to do with bugs?

Question Vegan Gardening - what to do with bugs?

I'm a new gardener and I'm hoping to grow my own fruit and veg, as well as flowers. However I'm a bit stumped as to what to do with bugs. I've already got earwigs chewing on my flowers and don't really want to kill them. Anyone know humane ways to get rid of bugs? I've already had success with orange peel shooing away slugs...

Default Re: Vegan Gardening

Yes, look up companion planting on google.

Planting lots of garlic around helps deter bugs or if you've already got them you can soak some minced garlic in oil overnight, then mix it with water and spray your plants with it, I had to do it earlier this year, it made my garden stink but got rid of the bugs. (That was for aphids but I'm sure it does other bugs too)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Thanks! I'll give it a try... I had been thinking about planting garlic anyway
    Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends. George Bernard Shaw

I've made a strong tea out of tansy to get rid of insects. I'm not sure if it kills them or not, so you should probably research it first.

The garlic idea is an excllent one. Companion planting is something I really want to investigate the next time I live somewhere where I can garden.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

mango

Default Re: Vegan Gardening - what to do with bugs?

I grow loads of different things, try different varieties... some stuff gets a bit munched, some is totally destroyed but there's always something to eat. I think the easiest way is to find out what survives best in your garden.

I can vouch for companion planting. I made a thread entitled "Veganic my arse" earlier this year, in responce to a veganic article that claimed one should squash eggs and kill slugs. It also transpires that things such as spraying soap solution may be effective as it disolves insects' bodies - as opposed to just making the plants' surface slippery.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I think on organic farms they take the bugs off the plants with their fingers. maybe thats just during harvesting though.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Not an expert one green flytip is get some vegan version of ecover washing up liquied water down spray on edible plants this keeps green fly and others away as they do not like it, it does not kill them.

Oh yes make sure you wash your veg LOL
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote snaffler View Post
    Not an expert one green flytip is get some vegan version of ecover washing up liquied water down spray on edible plants this keeps green fly and others away as they do not like it, it does not kill them.
    This is what seaside claims disolves the fatty tissue on aphid's bodies. I've been unable to verify this, but have not done it since hearing. Anyone know?

Quote thecatspajamas1 View Post
    I think on organic farms they take the bugs off the plants with their fingers. maybe thats just during harvesting though.
    veganic or organic? Harvesting organic produce is on large farms no different to non organic harvesting. It'd take a very long time for a producer of organic bread flour to check each grain of wheat for bugs by hand. You could argue that crops not sprayed with pesticides that detract insects from being there in the first place is responsible for more deaths in harvesting of organic produce where they find their home.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Bugs!!!! Well I just************RUN!!!!!!!! and hope that they are gone when I come back.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Quote maya View Post
    Bugs!!!! Well I just************RUN!!!!!!!! and hope that they are gone when I come back.

LOL! That too is my initial reaction but now I've got a garden I'm trying to be big and brave and not do my customary prancing about at the sight of a creepy crawly. 'Tis hard....
    Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends. George Bernard Shaw

I've just done a search on "slugs" as the season will soon be upon us and I don't want to start having murderous thoughts

So, Vegardeners, can I have a
    Top Ten Tips For Dealing With Slugs?????

Please don't suggest hedgehogs and frogs - I live on a street on teh outskirts of town so besides the fact that they would probably never find me (sadly, I love both), to encourage them would be to lure them to certain death...

I do encourage blackbirds, but I think they're too addicted to the fast food on the bird table to bother

i've found this site, dont really know much about it though - it looks vegan though!
    http://www.thecosyslughutt.co.uk/

there's always the copper strips you can put round pots which emit a small electric shock and so deter slugs from travelling further....or picking them off by hand although they do most of their damage during the night, or slug pellets which are definately not vegan or beer traps which unfortunately also drown the slugs in beer. if you garden intensely or grow lots of stuff really close together maybe there will be more than enough for you and the slugs??

Again, for slugs, plant loads of garlic.

surely its the wrong time of year now for putting garlic in??
    i thought it was best planted in autumn

I don't think you'd have a problem planting it now, perhaps wait till it's got a bit warmer though to save them getting frost damaged. It's quite resiliant though and very easy to grow.

easy to grow?? tell that to the garlic in my garden - maybe i planted it in an area that was too wet for it to survive....

.....anyway, ahem....back to the bugs topic...sorry mods

Most garlic is best planted in Autumn - it needs the cold spell to activate formation of the cloves. There is a variety - Printanor - which is best planted in spring though. Generally, garlic likes soil well-drained rather than gloopy...

On the bugs point - any plant that gets overcome by bugs is either unhappy or too wussy to bother with. Planting flowers in strips between your vegetable beds ('bug banks') helps keep things in equilbrium. Proximity to nettles is good too...
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

Thanks guys, that's an encouraging start. My garden is TINY, so copious planting is not unfortunately an option. Bugs don't tend to be a problem, just slugs which I imagine will eat the healthiest of plants. Mine eat thistles believe it or not, they're pretty hardy buggars, cross egg shells (from mum), ash and eat the most unappetising of plants to meet their hunger needs. I'd happily pick them off but they hide as well. I'm not at the beer stage yet. I love the idea of garlic, will definitely try that in the autumn.

Is the copper wire available from garden centres? Or just pick it up at a DIY?

it should be available from garden centres but is a bit pricey.

or you can get it from here mail order.
    this is where i get all my organic seeds from.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php

I've found that things planted in raised beds seem to get away without any real slug damage (maybe the slugs are too lazy to climb up ). Companion planting can help, but sometimes you just have to give in, pour a cold glass of cyder and just be thankful for whatever your garden produces...