Thread: Australian vit Supplements for Children

Question Australian vit Supplements for Children

Has anyone had any experience with vitamin supplements (Iron, B12) for a child (5 years), that is vegan, can be purchased in Australia and that children like? My son loves his salads and vegies, but lentils and tofu etc, - even when disguising them, its war for him to eat them, I would hate him to be lacking these essential vitamins.

Default Re: Australian vit Supplements for Children

It seems odd to me that you'd want to give your 5-y-o child vit-supplements. Surely if he has plenty of vegies and fruit, that should be fine. Some soymilk wouldn't go amiss, and perhaps grainy bread and marmite with his salad. Later on you can add nuts. There is absolutely no need to feel anxious if he doesn't like lentils and tofu - it is not mandatory to eat those items.
    Eve

Yeah I understand that those items are not mandatory but they do have a lot of protein in them, unlike vegies and fruit. Marmite and vegimite have a lot of not-so-good-for-you salt, so I do try to limit this one. He likes nuts and eats them already so ill go shoping for some of his fav... Ive read, too much grainy and wholemeal bread is not good for children this age and under, as it give them too much fiber. I will included some more soy milk thanks.

My son's a fussy little guy. Bean burgers using processed kidney or other beans usually get eaten. vegan sausage rolls with a mix of processed cashews or other nuts, breadcrumbs, soy cheese and soy milk to combine with some sage and onion and cooked in puff pastry - go down a treat. I also try to use oats and spelt four (high in protein unlike wheat) as much as possible. It is difficult. My son just wants to eat pizza and pasta all the time. At least these are homemade!! I do give my son a natures own kids multi as i have had B12 deficiency and worry he's getting enough vits for his growing body. He seems healthy enough depite hi fussiness.
    Last edited by treehugga; Oct 14th, 2006 at 10:59 AM. Reason: additional info

LittleNellColumbia

Thanks heaps guys!