Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Default Positive (side) effects of going vegan

What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Mine are dropping 10 pounds in a week, and almost everything I eat now can be shared with the hamster as an occasional treat (because of eating way more fruit).

spudstud

An unexpected effect of my veganism was my dad went veg too! Just two years ago when I first got interested in Vegetarianism he thought I was crazy. Now, I'm glad he is supporting. He buys a lot of my food...so it helps.
    - Matt

My weight become less although it's always been pretty good - my over all outward health was observed by others as looking better...

The funny side was my farts changed up an octive sorry
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

The best thing is that people swear that I look younger, I have dropped in weight but then I needed to do that. It is nice that the guilt has gone wish I had gone vegan years ago.

i too lost a fair bit of excess weight when first starting out on a vegan diet (having been veggie before). people have commented that i look slimmer and healthier.

i didn't expect to be free of cravings for non-vegan (but still veggie) foods so quickly! i don't miss any of those foods i used to like any more, and now they make me feel a bit ill just thinking about them - e.g. milk chocolate, cheese, egg-fried rice, milky coffee. the vegan versions taste much better anyway! i've also developed a taste for healthier foods, as i think has been mentioned in another thread, which i didn't expect.

The switch to vegan has also opened my mind and resulted in my cutting caffine, white breads, cane sugar, and reducing salt.

Some days my skin has this healthy glow to it that was never present before, even as a vegetarian. My lips are a prettier color, too. My hair is very soft. My body shape, although toned prior, is more beautiful, in my opinion, at least.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I didn't expect to become so much more interested in environmental and animal rights issues as I have.

Being vegan has led to me becoming more environmentally concious and more compassionate in my general day to day life.

Default Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

I think I might have joined the Royal Order of the Blue Flame...

Quote grail
    I think I might have joined the Royal Order of the Blue Flame...
    LOL! never heard that expression before. could ya come over and power my furnace?

Yesterday I had black beans for lunch and white beans for supper. It's amazing my house didn't get accidentally moved every time I flipped a light switch.

Anyway, no, I'm losing a bit of weight and my skin does look better, although I am feeling a little tired.

I realised I didn't really get headaches after going vegan (apart from hangover-induced ones). I never suffered hugely from headaches but I did get them and they've definitely lessened to almost nothing. Bonus!

Default unexpected effects

my omni friends say my sweat smells like a horse; I say theirs smells like a dog.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Something really unexpected is that now my sister is eating a more vegan diet as she is seeing a positive effect on me and wants to see them in herself so she has cut out dairy and eggs and only eats them if hidden. This makes me think that she might actually become vegan one day .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

sugarmouse

the weightloss, bobillydylan becoming one, gettin better at cooking, being more passionate about animal rights, becomein a little more atone with myself

I find I recover from workouts much faster. I'm rarely sore the next day. I don't know the physiology behind this, I imagine fighting animal products through an omni's body would take energy away from recovery.

I've gotten really into natural health and organic foods.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

- less sleep
    - more energy
    - no colds or flues
    - less muscle soreness after workout
    - better exercise performance (could run forever...not really, but...)

I didn't lose any weight at all and I still have some acne (probably hormon related).
    Before going vegan, I was a strict veggie for 25 years (no dairy except some cheese), so that's probably why I haven't experienced any weightloss. Oh, well, I got to work out harder and cut my meals in half....It's just SO hard, vegan food taste so GOOD! That's the only drawback.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote boomer
    The best thing is that people swear that I look younger, I have dropped in weight but then I needed to do that. It is nice that the guilt has gone wish I had gone vegan years ago.
    I see that a lot with others turning vegan. Bryan Adams is a good example, he looked older in the eighties. Some become leaner with nicer skin. Good for them. I don't think it's the case with me, though. At least nobody tells me that I do...so I'm not sure.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

This winter has been my first as a Vegan, and also the first for many years that I haven't had months of painful coughing and flu.

I'm happy to say that I haven't dropped 10 pounds, i'm generally very careful with my wallet.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Good sperm

, i'm generally very careful with my wallet.
    Except when it comes to kitchen gadgets eh Mr F?

For me it was:
    losing weight,
    skin getting even clearer
    hayfever almost gone (used to be terrible)
    periods better
    no colds/illness since going vegan
    hardly any headaches
    better moods
    SAD better
    more energy
    meeting people at Vegan Festivals!
    feel happy that I've got such an amazing lifestyle

Quote absentmindedfan
    Except when it comes to kitchen gadgets eh Mr F?
    I love every single one of my kitchen gadgets I have you know! They are my babies

Maybe we should have a "post a picture of your kitchen gadgets" thread?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I have stopped snoring since I gave up dairy - John says I used to snore like a hog and I don't now at all.
    Also the cat likes to lick my arms but I'm not sure if that's a good thing really, maybe I won't have to take a bath so often
    The best thing is my arthritis has been in remission for 3 months and I seem to have regained some strength in my thumb joints, my feet and hands were being destroyed at a terrifying rate but they are almost back to normal now I daren't go back to being veggie or omni in case it returns!!!
    Silent but deadly :p

My nails grow really really long and i can paint them any colour i want!! (they used to snap off real easy)
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

I used to get headaches every night, pressure types, that'd keep me awake, i don't get them anymore.
    I'm still waiting for the increase in energy and the weight loss, it's been two months now. Oh well, i still eat too much food. Heh.
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

More energy overall, better control over my blood sugar (prolly because I actually pay attention to my protein and complex carbs now), and my cats will (usually) leave my lunch alone if I get up to refill my beverage.

mango

Little sign of aging. Gradual reduction in chronic health problems. Change in consciousness.

princessemma

Almost no symptoms of arthritis. I don't need any medication and I was on several pills a day.

Pilaf

My digestion is just...incredible now. No pain at all. And my complexion is clearer. I also swear my hair and nails are thicker and grow faster.

My skin is clearing up, my hair is so much shiner and i feel so much better in myself.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men"

Besides the energy and the happiness I've gained, I feel like I've become so much more organized! At first, I felt like I'd have to really have it together and work hard to eat well. Although I've found it easier than I thought, I retained that level of organization and planning and it's touched every part of my life, from working out to teaching.

VeganJohn

My favourite unexpected effect of my veganism has got to be..............meeting the lovely, amazing maisiepaisie!!

My increased feelings of good health and general well being are great effects too.

*Complete change to my approach to food: I am inclined to try a LOT more- just not because its vegan so I may as well try it, but because I want to!
    *Some weight loss, and when I cut back on junk food (bourbon biscuits, kettle chips etc etc) I don't feel as bloated and lose a bit more weight each time, something that has NEVER happened before.
    *Awareness of packaging, environment etc, I recycle more, try to only ever use my Bags For Life etc.
    *Cut down on 'food miles': source food locally ie in the Uk at least.
    *Understand more about food seasons.
    *Make my food much more from scratch.
    *Eat out in Brighton more (not so good for £...!)
    *Try out more recipes.
    *Feel healthier.

This forum

Many of my favourites have been mentioned but anyways..

my stomach ulcer has stopped paining me(I can't believe my doctor was advising me to consume more dairy products -on top of nasty drugs that made me ill )
    I haven't had any colds/flu's since going vegan (I used to get a cold at least twice a year!).
    I've met some wonderful compassionate people near(ish) me and become more active & educated on both health & A. R. issues.

My mum going veggie as a (admittedly belated) result of admiring the conviction of my beliefs
    Discovering loads of new food & finding out how good it tastes.

It has also greatly increased my global capitalism awareness and the connections/knock-on effects of where we spend etc..which is a good thing but quite depressing also.
    And I lost a couple of pounds in weight

It sounds wierd, but now 2 months after taking the final step and giving up dairy (was vegan-ish for 10 years,everything but dairy. I loved cheese), its like my sense of smell is more acute. Its like scents are more intense then they were before.

Its crazy how bad dairy is on our bodys. I don't know if it was all in my head or what but its crazy that I can smell so much better then before.

I already mentioned some of this on another thread, but here goes: So far I've noticed LOADS of physical health benefits in the short 7 months since I switched from ovo-lacto veggie. I used to have joint pain (in my knees or shoulders) at times and haven't had any in months, used to feel fatigued a lot and now have more energy, used to have overly sensitive teeth and haven't in months, my gums look pinker (less red--gingivitis seems to not like veganism), used to have worse allergies and asthma (don't think they're gone, but definitely vastly improved), have less pain during menstral cycles, used to have dull headaches a lot and now have had very few, used to feel nauseous quite often and now it almost never happens, used to have abdominal pains and now I don't, my nails seem thicker and healthier, have less skin problems, haven't had a virus since becoming vegan, etc. I've been amazed by how quickly these changes have come and understand that I will probably have even more positive results the longer I go. Everything also seems to taste better, in that I can taste more--maybe as previously stated due to better ability to smell things (as that's a big part of taste) I've also learned a lot more about vegan ethics, which helps me feel better psychologically and spiritually in my veganism. And, of course, I found this group of like-minded people to chat with
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I am more at peace with myself and push myself to imporove all the time - still a little too opinionated I guess but what the hell.

Some people have learned from my example and are now concious of animal rights and diet issues. I am really proud of that .

morally: My re-awakening to AR has been the most horrifying and satisfying of my existance. Ignorance is bliss, but a confused, unmanigable, unpredictable one. At least now I have goals and beliefs that I believe in so much, that what people think of me or approval, is not of consequence.

physically: god, i haven't been sick at all in the past year, i smell better, i do feel better, i don't need as much sleep.

emotionally: I'm still working on this one... :| it can be a hard, lonely battle.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion. | Chomsky

Default Not just diet

The vegan lifestyle has made me more individualistic in a fashion sense: no running out to grab the latest reptile cowboy-boots and silk blouse!
    I sometimes get things made when shopping leaves me tearing my hair out; do I buy fabric content "other"? My winter coat is a John Lewis upholstery fabric: I am wearing a sofa.... Gloves hats shoes are always a problem because I am not dainty.... Anyone found an online supplier of vegan transvestite clothing? That's how I found stilettos to fit in Sydney at one such shop in King's X...... and let's not get me started on flights without reaeaeal leather seats....
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Cleaner Underwear!!!

Soft Effortless Poop Every Morning And Evening!!!

Is a spoon.

I feel proud that I AM actually making a difference and helping animals. I had a digestive disorder so I'd get sick after every meal, vomitting etc, especially cheese, carbs and fats but now that's all gone! I used to LOVE cheese but damn I'm pleased I don't miss it. Seeing it makes me feel icky these days. Weight loss. I'm very aware of nutritional information now, like sodium content and such. But I'm really dodgy and can't be bothered figuring out a stable diet with iron and vitamins and so on so I'm pretty sick at the moment...haha I suck.

just feeling overall happier, healthier & more relaxed... !

bbb
    xxx

When I went vegan I did it to help my conscience and reduce migraines.

Many unexpected benefits have come along the way. Right away, it got rid of my asthma, and my periods became regular and lighter, with much reduced PMT and no period pain. I also get the feeling that a healthy vegan diet can help with conception - we certainly got our two daughters on the way as soon as we tried unprotected sex!

It has only been years later that I found out that going vegan has a greater benefit for the environment than any other single thing we can do as individuals, even better than never flying or not having a car. See: http://www.tvvvs.makessense.co.uk/articles/205.html

I lost weight without trying, my rheumatoid arthritis went into remission, and I have had no dental problems. I was having gum and plaque problems, but they have gone away. My theory was that animals protein/fat was causing the problems. People think that I bleach my teeth now because they are so white and healthy.

A lot of the stuff mentioned above, well, I rather expected it as I had read about it. What I hadn't read about was that mosquitoes would no longer care for the taste of my blood. I used to get eaten alive every spring/summer/fall even though I slept under a mosquito net and out of desperation, used pesticides. Last year was the year I turned vegan. Never got even ONE mosquito bite. They'd be hovering around me when I took the dogs out for an early morning pee, but none would even land. This was certainly the biggest surprise.

mango woman

omg, if that's true i am SO HAPPY. i always get eaten alive by mosquitoes.. as in 30 or more mosquito bites at one time... and i am lucky enough to be one of those people who itches them until theyre gross

tabitha

my asthma is much better too. I havent had a cold (touch wood) and I dont feel as tired as I used to.

theashleybeyer,

Well, it was true for me, but I imagine it isn't true for everyone or others would have talked about that already. It might be that American mosquitoes would still find me tasty and it's just these Korean ones that find me repulsive. Win-win situation as I didn't get bitten very often back when I lived in the States.

Oh, and when I realized it, I DID google mosquito and vegan and found that there was somewhat of a debate on whether or not it's true. The ones that don't get bitten, naturally say it's true. Of course it's the ones still getting chewed on who say it isn't true.