Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Default Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Curing of anorexia. made_of_sequins I totally hear ya on the ED front! I always used to feel guilty after I ate but now, nothing because I know everything Im putting in me is good stuff. I really think that having to stop being vegan the first time I tried at 15 triggered my eating disorder...I knew what was in stuff, where it was from etc and my label reading obsession got steadily worse.

Also a warm fuzzy feeling Im doing the world some good x

My mood has improved.

My energy is up.

I'm satisfied on less food.

My sleeping patterns seem to have normalized.

My skin has cleared up almost overnight.

I'll feel tired and be able to nap for about 20-30 mins and be refreshed. Or even just lie down and relax and I'm not tired anymore. Before, I'd be passed out for hours.

One frightening side effect I found is that food became incredibly tasty. I had no idea that a meal could contain so much flavor.

Meeting other vegans, and all of them are the nicest people I ever met - this coming from someone who loves animals much more than people! Also, a more peaceful mind. Not a day goes by that I feel lucky that I stumbled upon something 13 years ago which turned me vegetarian overnight, and a few months later, a complete vegan.
    All about the animals, Lucia

This is in addition to my first reply.

I also was amazed at how easy it was to do, and how good it makes me feel. I became vegan when I found out the missing part of how animals are put on our plates. I always just thought of the slaughter, but I feel very lucky that I found out the rest of the story. It was only common sense that I had to stop eating and wearing animal products.

Quote timberly View Post
    ^ welcome! that's great!

cleaning out the food collector in the sink isn't disgusting anymore! it used to make me gag
    haha i totally agree with this! i was a vegetarian for years and well, it's really nice now that there's not CHEESE stuck on everything! *gag!*

people said my eyes looked brighter
    and really unexpectantly- my brother, (who doesnt agree with veganism at all and mostly eats only meat and carbs) said he is proud of me being vegan...as he sees me resist cheesecake on a regular basis... warmed my heart.

Since going vegan, the most unexpected thing that has occured, is my complete change of view of everything! I question everything now, especially anything pumped out by the government. For example, the Australian government is doing all this anti-drug campaigning, I researched it a little bit and more people die from alcohol the any other drug! And still more people die from prescription drugs then illegal drugs! (Not saying yay-drugs, more of a why are these facts hidden in their findings). And "apparently" you can tear your throat open from vomiting when drunk! Things like, the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet (says you should eat beef, with a side of beef, and dessert beef which will go nicely with your beefshake) research is partly funded by Meat and Livestock Australia!

Anyway, that gets back to veganism because it taught me to question. I believed milk was good, healthy and for humans. It wasn't! I believed animals didn't mind dying for our consumption. They don't!

I can now take on the world!

I really didn't expect all of this from a change in eating habit.

Woo, vegan!

Quote Tishy View Post
    Things like, the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet (says you should eat beef, with a side of beef, and dessert beef which will go nicely with your beefshake) research is partly funded by Meat and Livestock Australia!
    The CSIRO later came out with a pro-vegematarian stance in their Home Energy Saving Handbook. Big Meat was not happy! (http://www.standard.net.au/news/loca...p/1634414.aspx)

Soy farmers are farmers too, damn it!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Yeah, I've heard about the new CSIRO book, and I do own their garden/vegetable book, but still displeasure proceeded when I found out about who funded the research!

There is a book here in America called "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About". It will astound you how the food industry, the pharmaceutical industry and the government all have their hands into each other's pockets. I am sure it is the same in Australia as well.

Pretty sure it would be, just maybe not as much! Sometimes I feel we mimic the US in every decision The Australian government snuggles itself right up to the USA, and as soon as the US loses power, you'll see it in bed with someone else! Damn suck up country! *shakes fist*

Something we don't have in common with the US is that if you charge more for a drug, it must be more effective than the cheaper version. Oh, and that you can't explicitly advertise a prescription drug on TV ("there's a new heart medication out now, ask your doctor" is pretty much is all they can say). But other than that, it's pretty depressing!

/derail

Thumbs up Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Hi Buttons:

You are lucky! Here in the U.S., almost every other commercial is about prescription drugs. From a book I read, most of the prescription drugs are pushed by the money-making pharmaceutical industry (and are in cohoots with the food industry and the government), and all of the drugs have pretty substantial side effects. For the most part, the drugs here in the U.S. don't cure the illness, they just mask the symptoms, and then after long-term use of that drug, you get another illness from that very same drug. Most drugs are very hard on the liver. My advice (not worth much ha ha) is be careful about wanting those drugs that we have here in the U.S. The U.S. is no better than the other countries. Never was, and never will be. The U.S. just makes everybody think it is the best country. Anyway, I have gone the homeopathic path to trying to keep healthy. And, of course, trying to eat healthy and exercise everyday.

P.S. I did not mean to put the "thumbs up" icon on the top. Anyone know how I can remove it. It was meant to be put after the last word in the above paragraph.

Prawnil

Quote VeganLu View Post
    The U.S. just makes everybody think it is the best country.
    Not quite

Anyway, if you click Edit, then 'Go Advanced' you can change your little icon.

My time of the month became much more bearable, lighter and less painful and about two days shorter.

My skin cleared up a lot. I still get blackheads on my nose but not so many.

I also sweat a lot less and hardly ever get BO.

Smile Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Quote Radharani View Post
    My time of the month became much more bearable, lighter and less painful and about two days shorter.

Yeah. Mine too. I used to get debilitatingly bad cramps before...but now I don't. And it's lighter.

That was a big plus for me!
    Ninja hug! You never saw it coming!

^ I haven't seen foamy in years!!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I was amazed at how many different foods I found that I never knew about.. and ended up loving. I never really used to cook, other than whipping together a hamburger helper (eww), or mac and cheese. Now I enjoy putting together a compassionate, healthful meal.

But, I did have one, not so nice side effect - hair loss. In the past 7 months since starting, I've lost about a quarter to almost a third of my hair. Hopefully it was just the drastic diet change and will grow back eventually.
    love animals. love eating. don't love eating animals.

I feel better about myself, no guilt.

Cool Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Quote DiaShel View Post
    ^ I haven't seen foamy in years!!

Yeah...I love love love foamy!!!

lol, but anyway, one of the great things I've found out about being vegan is that my skin has cleared up (I never used to have really bad skin...but my skin is better now than it was then.)
    I also have noticed that since I don't really drink much caffiene/sugar anymore my moods are more stable. I used to be really moody, but hormones (like BC pills and such) affect me really badly. I'm really sensitive to it...so the hormones in the stuff that I used to eat (even when I was vegetarian) used to cause me (and the people around me) a bunch of problems.

Then there is the feeling better about oneself.

Quote Roxy View Post
    I didn't expect to become so much more interested in environmental and animal rights issues as I have.

Being vegan has led to me becoming more environmentally concious and more compassionate in my general day to day life.
    Roxy I totally agree with you! I have been reading so many books that I would never have thought of before. It's amazing! I will never go back

I have only been vegan for a short time but already I have noticed differences -

1. No grey water when I leave the dishes in overnight and I don't have to change the water at all when I'm doing them now!
    2. More room in the fridge as I don't have a designated meat shelf.
    3. More room in the store cupboards.
    4. No worries about cross-contamination in the kitchen. I just ditched my old chopping board this morning and bought a lovely new one, which is wood, and not soaked in meat juices...ewwwww.....
    5. My insides are working far more efficiently!
    6. No spots!
    7. I am happy! Really really happy. My significant other thinks I'm having an affair, but it really is the burden of guilt being lifted from me and I keep telling him that!
    8. The bins don't smell.
    9. I've saved an animals life somewhere in the world.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

pavotrouge

I wish the 'like' button was back, blueberry

As a counter to the original question, here are my least favourite unexpected effects

1 - I have forgotten 90% of food prep hygiene rules,
    2 - After 6 months, none of my family, friends, colleagues, or acquaintances have reacted to my veganism in a negative way. (I have wasted literally hours reading up on counter-arguments!)
    3 - I spend approx 50% longer in the supermarket, reading food labels.

I'm sure I'll think of more

Oooh I think it's great not to think about hygiene in the kitchen! Now I've veganized it i know there's no yukky meat bacteria in there... Heaven!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Talking Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Quote pete_m View Post
    As a counter to the original question, here are my least favourite unexpected effects

1 - I have forgotten 90% of food prep hygiene rules,
    2 - After 6 months, none of my family, friends, colleagues, or acquaintances have reacted to my veganism in a negative way. (I have wasted literally hours reading up on counter-arguments!)

I'm sure I'll think of more
    LOL, I have all of those, but the first one made me smile. It's refreshing not having to worry about cross-contamination!

^ I haven't even thought about that but that's so true!

Quote pete_m View Post
    I count that as a positive - I'm one of those people who looks forward to the weekly supermarrket run!

^ me too! My mom thinks I'm crazy but I love going to the store.

EcoTribalVegan

I like that it gives me a new reason to be misanthropic and not feel so hypocritical about it!

^

My partner said I look about five years younger at the moment! My skin has cleared up and looks younger and fresher. I have no dark rings under my eyes.

That could also be becasue I now sleep like a log! Our cat stayed out last night and I worry so much about her, but went off to sleep. So it was a real surprise to me when I woke up this morning to find my partner had been up and down the stairs all night to see if she was home! I never heard him once.

And he commented on how eerie our room is at night. See, I snore really badly, keeping him awake, who wakes me up etc. But apparently, I am so silent, he's been checking to see if I'm dead! And when we went to bed last night I was in a bad mood because of the cat, and he thought I was ignoring him, when actually I was fast asleep! I can't say being vegan has stopped me snoring, but maybe the veganism has led to the weight loss which maybe has had an effect? Anyway, I don't snore now!!!

Good for you! A sound night's sleep for both of you.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

[QUOTE=Prawnil;629958]Not quite

Thanks Prawnil for helping me with my icon problem. Too bad we don't agree about the U.S.

I am surprised about the effect it has on me......... in a spiritual way I have become more sensitive, have come closer to myself

Also, have become more aware of other things and am slowly growing as a vegan, the longer I am vegan (almost 5 months, so not so long yet) the more I am questioning things, the more changes I want to make to my life.

I feel cleaner, in general.

I take a HUGE crap every morning. My farts smell terrible. So far that is about it, but I've only been at it for two months. Sorry if I made anyone gag by reading this.

Quote operasinger2686 View Post
    I take a HUGE crap every morning. My farts smell terrible. So far that is about it, but I've only been at it for two months. Sorry if I made anyone gag by reading this.

And these are your favourite effects???¿¿¿!!!¡¡¡
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I expected to lose weight, but after losing 1 kg in the 2nd week, since then nothing. It has been 7 weeks now. From the previous comments, am I right in saying that eventually this will happen, and my body will find its natural weight?

On the plus side, I felt emotional benefits - I was quite depressed, but feel happier now, and more at peace.

I want to be more energetic, so I am going to concentrate on healthy not junk foods..
    Thanks,

Burntfruit

DavidT, thanks for the little reminder about what this thread is about.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote DavidT View Post

And these are your favourite effects???¿¿¿!!!¡¡¡
    Oh, haha! I guess I didn't read very carefully. LOL. Well, I like the crapping part.

I did not mean to offend! I apologize.

I lost weight, I'm not sure how much but enough for people to notice and comment!

^ ! That's insane! I'm so glad you're better now

I have gotten more confident in myself and my choices since becoming vegan. I feel like I can think more clearly.

In October I started training for a sprint triathlon and completed my first one successfully a few weeks ago. You won't find a half starved weak vegan here. Ironman, here I come!

I have also lost 30 pounds, but I attribute that partly to my rigorous training schedule as well as veganism.

Last thing, as a vegan, I can eat like a pig since there are way fewer calories in my huge vegan meals (I make everything fresh, don't use processed pre-made foods) than a piece of steak. Yippee for more food!
    Last edited by Veggie671; Mar 10th, 2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: sp

Last thing, as a vegan, I can eat like a pig since there are way fewer calories in my huge vegan meals (I make everything fresh, don't use processed pre-made foods) than a piece of steak.
    That's nice. I am eating the wrong foods. But I knew that... the good ones cost more.

Thanks to veganism... I have found my passion. Did I say that yet?

Also, thanks to veganism, I made a very good friend from whom I have learned much.... why? Because everyone knows I am passionate about veganism, so when a freshman showed up saying she was vegan, my friends called me and told me to come over.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote operasinger2686 View Post
    I totally agree....I just want to add that mine are now like clockwork. 6:30 AM on the button every morning. When I was omni it was literally a crap shoot on the time and the quality

I didn't expect that my junk food cravings would absolutely disappear! I am still amazed that I no longer have powerful urges to eat fast food, junk food or sugar. I now find that fresh raw fruits and veggies taste amazing! I didn't realize that I would learn about new foods and recipes that I now adore! Things that used to smell appealing now repulse me.

I was going to wait a long time to post this, I became full vegan 3 days ago. I was never big on eating meats but dairy was another issue and I suffer from chronic sinusitis and stomach issues. Ok so 3 days since I completely gave it all up, I've been able to breathe through both sides of my nose, and I woke up this morning feeling "light" and not bloated and fat! Which is a HUGE deal! I feel so good, I work pt in a daycare and sat there yesterday during the kids lunch going "that milk doesnt look appetizing" and I'm certain its because I feel bad about animal products now (thanks to this forum for opening my eyes!!)

My daughter, who's 4, suffers from chornic sinusitis as well and so while Im not going to completely take dairy away from her (she has to drink it at school right now as shes in pre-k) I AM going to change a lot of her foods to being dairy free. We usually buy soymilk for her anyway as she was going through an "i hate milk" phase and the only thing she would drink was soy milk lol. So anywho, I'll be sure to add more as time goes on, I just wasnt expecting the first day to 3 days that I'd feel good and energetic even!

~Carrie

thats awesome that you are feeling so great after only 3 days!

why does your daughter HAVE to drink it in school? do they force her to?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."