Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

cobweb

Default Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Quote starlight View Post
    The chef at work now puts a vegan option on the menu several times a week. There are four options on the menu, so about a quater of the company are eating vegan without even knowing it.
    great

One unexpected result of becoming vegan is that it has made me reevaluate almost every aspect of my life. I am realizing that so many things I do are just out of habit, and I previously had never sat down and thought about them. I am trying to make positive changes in all aspects of life, and finding that change isn't as scary as everyone thinks it is.

It's turned me into a chef !!!
    I'm learning to bake and cook SO many interesting yummy dishes
    and i'm finally learning to use spices too..

Cool

mine from vegetarian to vegan has been a very, very yummy transition

Quote russ View Post
    i think we need to set up a peer-reviewed double-blind experiment to put this one to rest once and for all ...
    lol

Quote m00se View Post
    One unexpected result of becoming vegan is that it has made me reevaluate almost every aspect of my life. I am realizing that so many things I do are just out of habit, and I previously had never sat down and thought about them. I am trying to make positive changes in all aspects of life, and finding that change isn't as scary as everyone thinks it is.
    First of all, CONGRATS m00se! I've had this same kind of unexpected result in my own life and it's such a great one to have. Even though change can sometimes be scary (many fear the unknown), you're just like me and you're just *doing it*! I've changed so many aspects of my life now that I'm vegan. I'm more eco friendly, I'm nicer to people in general, heck I even clean my house more because I know it makes my husband happy...and what a small thing to need to do to create happiness for another person.

Good luck with your changes!
    ~Christina~
    Keep the Tings and Veggie Booty AWAY FROM ME! I can't be stopped :(

Veggie-HOLIC

Well I've lost a lot of weight, and I enjoy life more for the most part.

But.....

My parents have cut off contact with me because they have a grudge against vegetarianism/veganism and I've not spoken to them in 4 whole years.

Quote catmogg View Post
    My nails grow really really long and i can paint them any colour i want!! (they used to snap off real easy)
    mine too! that's really wierd seeming that we no longer consume milk which has calcium... I guess all the other goodies like veggies and enriched soy products are doing it for us

talknerdytome

I feel so much more in tune with nature, knowing that everything I eat comes from nature makes me feel really happy.

Also, better digestion, clearer skin and more energy. I haven't had any weight loss, but as I was bordering on underweight before, that's probably a good thing.

Quote Veggie-HOLIC View Post
    Well I've lost a lot of weight, and I enjoy life more for the most part.

But.....

My parents have cut off contact with me because they have a grudge against vegetarianism/veganism and I've not spoken to them in 4 whole years.
    Woah thats harsh, sorry I might consider it a bonus

I eat healthier, can cook, new foods but no vegan superpowers of yet though

Quote applebaby View Post
    Angered far less easily for some reason! more mellow temperment.

Other than that... sweating less and less greasy face.
    I've only been a vegan for a short time now, but I have noticed the same thing! I am far less moody and I haven't perspired as much.

In general, in just the short time I've transitioned I've noticed tremendous health impacts (all positive!):

-I'm not as lethargic feeling when I first wake up.
    -I feel I have more mental clarity. Silly things I used to forget I remember now.
    -My Spring allergies are not as bad.
    -My lower belly "pooch" has disappeared. My husband actually remarked about this tonight when he hugged me before he went to bed. He wrapped his arms around my waist and said, "your belly is getting so small!"
    -No more loose/runny stools.
    -No painful gas.
    -My nails are growing rapidly and they're not as splitty.
    -My hands, which are normally cracked and splitting open, are healing up.
    -I'm ovulating right now, which usually gives me terrible cramps, but so far no pain.
    -I don't feel abdominal discomfort after a meal.
    -I used to have terrible pain in my gallbladder that started when I was pregnant with my son seven years ago. It would give me terrible fits. I haven't had any gallbladder pain since going vegan.
    -I feel more aware of my impact on the environment.
    -I go right to sleep now. Before I'd have to read or play a DS game before sleep because I'd have trouble falling asleep.
    -No more bad headaches, which I used to have frequently.
    -I'm drinking more water.

I think health benefits are to be expected. The unexpected is how much happier,more upbeat,and content I am. It's the emotional/mental aspect that has been such a surprise. I am a totally different person.

Quote salatheel View Post
    I think health benefits are to be expected. The unexpected is how much happier,more upbeat,and content I am. It's the emotional/mental aspect that has been such a surprise. I am a totally different person.

I feel I'm more aware of everything now. It pains me to know of all the injustices that go on in the world, however, I am happier that I am doing something that ends part of those injustices and relieves certain beings of suffering.

It does feel really good to know that I'm making even a little bit of an impact in another's life, and I feel more at peace with nature. I appreciate every kind of weather and every field of wild grass more than I did before going vegan. It's nice.

I can eat more. Been a ravenous vegan for maybe eight or nine years now and can't eat enough to put on weight. It's brilliant.

ambs

yes, i would say loosing weight was a plus.. but also the fact my mum doesn't eat nearly as much meat as she use to, she loves the vegan meals i cook so i try cook a lot of it so she can have it for dinner. She ain't vego.. but cutting back still makes a difference.

Quote salatheel View Post
    I think health benefits are to be expected. The unexpected is how much happier,more upbeat,and content I am. It's the emotional/mental aspect that has been such a surprise.
    Same here. I used to be very high-strung, moody, easily stressed. I feel more at peace now. It's difficult to describe. I find myself not feeling as anxious about things in my life as I used to.

I was amazed at how quick I dropped a little excess weight and how quickly I stopped craving non-vegan things and junk food in general. Now whenever I get a craving, it's usually for a beautiful salad or a fruit that's only in season in the summer. It's kind of nice to feel so healthy- like I did a major detox and once all the junk got out of my system, it was gone for good.

I also didn't realize how in-tune with the world I would feel. I love knowing that I'm making a difference in the world and setting a good example for others to follow if they so choose. I feel more grounded and at peace.

Yesterday my 2 year old daughter wanted something yummy so I sat her on the counter next to me and made vegan brownies and while I was mixing she was scooping handfuls of batter out of the bowl and eating it up.
    Try doing that with non-vegan brownies and you could get salmonella or something else icky.
    I bet she ate half the batter, it was so sweet . What was even funnier is she didn't really want any of the finished product, probably filled up on batter.
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

Quote imblissful View Post
    Yesterday my 2 year old daughter wanted something yummy so I sat her on the counter next to me and made vegan brownies and while I was mixing she was scooping handfuls of batter out of the bowl and eating it up.
    Try doing that with non-vegan brownies and you could get salmonella or something else icky.
    I bet she ate half the batter, it was so sweet . What was even funnier is she didn't really want any of the finished product, probably filled up on batter.
    heh so sweet..... yummy mummy and baby!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

I became a more sensitive and caring person. I used to care about nothing but myself and not only am I sensitive to the pain of suffering of animals now, but of all kinds of things I never gave a second thought. I like myself better now.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Unexpected effect... here goes:

Due to my interest in veganism, I became interested in worker justice and visited the campus solidarity committee that workers for worker justice. These are some of the sweetest, most caring people on campus, though mainly to the exclusion of nonhumans (as one of them told me with disinterest in veganism). Anyway, one of them recognized me and ended up finding me relatively cheap housing for the summer just by coming over and having a conversation with me! A very kind person.

So, that's how veganism has affected my life!
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I became a more sensitive and caring person. I used to care about nothing but myself and not only am I sensitive to the pain of suffering of animals now, but of all kinds of things I never gave a second thought. I like myself better now.
    Beautifully said, DiaShel. I feel very much the same about all living things, and the increased compassion for myself is a nice bonus too. It actually goes hand in hand - how can I respect the sanctity of an animal's life if I don't even respect my own.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I'm healthier, I care about everything more. I'm full of peace and love towards everyone human or non human. I eat better, I exercise more. I wish I could put it in better words but becoming vegan is the best thing to happen to me, its changed my life for the better.

I agree with DiaShel, I was really selfish beforehand but thats mostly gone. If I think about this more I'll get all teary eyed, I just love my decision to become vegan so much. I had a bit of a negative idea about vegans before as being stuck up and thinking down on everyone else, but this forum is full of people lovely people

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Totally agree. I never expected to actually be more aware of the world around me. I feel myself slipping back into the ways of my childhood where I could hear the trees whisper stories in the wind...and I love it

I find myself working toward improving every aspect of my life now. My veganism has opened my eyes to the world, and there's a hell of a lot to see.

I have been vegan for one month (vegetarian for 2 years) and this is what I have noticed.

1) I lost 6 pounds
    2) My fingernails are TOUGH and they have always chipped off and looked horrible.
    3) My hair stopped falling out in HUGE clumps and I have baby hair growing in!
    4) I live in Florida and it is getting so hot outside! I went out to work in the garden in the heat of the day (not a good plan) and when I was inside for a while I lifted my arms up to get something out of the cabinet and I did not stink! ( I quit using my old deodorant until I find out if it was tested on animal) How cool is that?
    5) I have more energy
    6) I enjoy the taste of food. Even veggies that I did not like before have wonderful flavor to me now.
    7) I do not get "shaky" anymore around 1 in the afternoon if I have not had a chance to eat. I get HUNGRY, but I do not feel like I am going to pass out. (This may be due to cutting out all sugar except agave nectar and, for a real treat, real maple syrup)

Not bad for one month!!

6) I enjoy the taste of food. Even veggies that I did not like before have wonderful flavor to me now.

SOO true for me too.

Congrats Lorikan!

Quote vegetarian_cat View Post

SOO true for me too.

Congrats Lorikan!
    Agreed, all of it.

nature|nurture

Now I can describe myself with one word: vegan.

^ Shortest autobiography ever. I love it

I've only been vegan for a short while, but I've seen improvement already in several ways. I've lost weight, my skin is softer, I feel so much healthier and better and have less inflammation. I'm not eating processed foods either so no white rice or sugar or white flour products. My taste buds have become so much more sensitive and food tastes much better to me now. My food is so delicious! I eat and it doesn't hurt inside like it used to do. I used to have acid reflux and just a lot of abdominal pain all the time. Now it's all better. I have more energy and feel better over all.

I can't believe I didn't know how healthy for you this diet is. Why is the world trying to keep it a secret? I had heard it was bad for you, etc. Not until I read The China Study did I find out that so many scientific studies agree it's the healthiest diet. It also fits with my love of animals and wish not to harm them. I'm never going back.

puca

I think my mental health has improved, though it may not be cause and effect, just down to other things... I am most certainly less aggressive and angry and feel more emotionally sensitive.

It changed my relationship with the living world around me, it made me think a lot more about cause and effect. I see my relationships with non human animal more as equals, or sometimes even friends and not as me being a mistress, or superior species over the rest of nature.

I've noticed that when I'm sick with the cold, my coughs aren't phlegm-y and I'm not hacking things up like a lot of people who are sick with chest colds do. I heard that dairy increases mucous, so I was wondering if my lack of dairy was causing not a lot of mucous. The year before last, I had bronchitis but the doctor was amazed how little phlegm I had. I was healthy within 2 weeks too. I'm also just getting over the flu. I felt symtoms on Monday (the 14th) and now the only thing left is a sniffley nose. Yay!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

^ I've noticed the same thing. I love not having a runny nose

I've had burning pain in both of my shoulders for about a year (one of the reasons I quit smoking and dove head first into the vegan thing). They would always hurt during the day and would be excruciatingly painful at night. Well, I haven't been vegan a while month yet and my shoulders hardly hurt at all during the day and they hurt drastically less at night so far. Woo Hoo! I can sleep!

good for you
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I'd have to say I've experienced the usual; better skin, feel lighter, eyes look whiter than before, hair is in great condition, and for some reason when I became vegan it was the first time I ever really noticed Autumn and Spring. Before then the years seemed to be divided by Winter/Summer, but now I really can see the seasons in between....if that makes sense!

^ That's pretty interesting about the seasons. I never really thought about it but that's pretty awesome. I guess I have grown to hate the sun a little less than prior to my vegan days...

I was a sun loather too lol-^^^ used to do all I could to stay out of it (including considering moving to Finland!)- feels better now that I'm more in tune with stuff now tho....hope that doesnt sound too hippyish..

^ No I get you. I still am a "sun loather" (lovely term, I'm stealing it ), but I appreciate the sun a lot more now. For Earth Day, I spent the day outside trying to improve my strained relationship with the sun. (Shit, now THAT sounds hippyish...But hey, few hours outside with no sunscreen and I didn't get burned at all. Maybe I'm on to something...hmm...)

^You phrase thief!
    I've found the same about no need to use sun block- I don't sit in the sun all day long (in fact last summer I tried to get everywhere by underground train....probably worse for me but atleast I was in the shade!)- but when I'm out there for a couple of hours I don't overheat or get flustered like I did when I was a meat eater- also found that I have no need for deodrant- another strange side affect....veganism is more money saving than I thought!

^ Guilty
    And I totally agree with the saving money bit. I switched to crystal deodorant (which lasts a long time) and I'm doing the no 'poo, soap, toothpaste, etc thing. Save time and money and I feel (and smell) great

Quote twist View Post
    I was a sun loather too lol-^^^ used to do all I could to stay out of it (including considering moving to Finland!)- feels better now that I'm more in tune with stuff now tho....hope that doesnt sound too hippyish..
    wow that is EXACTLY how I felt. Even to the point of moving to Finland.....!

^ So I'm guessing the sun doesn't shine in Finland then? (not trying to be cute or anything. I don't get out much)

^ yea they don't get as many daylight hours as a lot of the world (I think).
    Am impressed Jimmeh that you actually took the initiative to move!
    Whats it like out there?

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I've noticed that when I'm sick with the cold, my coughs aren't phlegm-y and I'm not hacking things up like a lot of people who are sick with chest colds do. I heard that dairy increases mucous, so I was wondering if my lack of dairy was causing not a lot of mucous. The year before last, I had bronchitis but the doctor was amazed how little phlegm I had. I was healthy within 2 weeks too. I'm also just getting over the flu. I felt symtoms on Monday (the 14th) and now the only thing left is a sniffley nose. Yay!
    Actually, "Sensations associated with increased mucus production are not specific to cow’s milk, but are more likely due to physical characteristics of some beverages." Also, "individuals who believe in the mucus and milk theory report more respiratory symptoms after drinking milk."

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/24/suppl_6/547S

I remember reading about the Australian study they refer to in the piece I linked to - it involved researcher measuring the amount of mucous coming out of peoples noses, as if it were water!

I do take less time to recover from colds than I used to, but I can't say that my level of mucous secretion has dropped significantly - I'm sick right now, tissues in hand! I do think that is important to 'dispel misinformation,' as it were. It is important to extoll the health-related virtues of an animal-free diet based of scientific fact, if we are going to try to get more people to join our ranks.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Lots of weight loss, gone from a size 16 to a 12.
    Had a 'tired spell' after first couple of months being vegan, but that has gone and I have loads of energy.
    Clearer skin and softer hair.

Weight Loss for me too. Went from wearing Extra Large Shirts to Small/Medium shirts( Small being the smallest I can wear ). And now I look a little bit sexier( A good 25 percent sexier, not much, but still something..XD ).

Got a better sense of Fashion, more self-confidence and care more about my physical appearance.

I've been vegan for about three months now and I've noticed the following unexpected improvements:

1 - Almost NO PMT! The first month I thought it must be a fluke, but then when my period sneaked up on me the second month running I was stoked. I used to be angry, weepy, miserable the week before my period and that was virtually all gone. So somehow this new way of eating must be balancing out my hormones.
    2 - My digestion is better. I don't get that icky heavy feeling after a meal anymore.
    3 - I need less sleep
    4 - I have more energy and feel healthier and less sluggish
    5 - I feel more at peace with my place in the world and feel happier and less moody in general
    6 - I have become more creative in the kitchen and more aware of healthful eating in general.
    7 - I haven't had a single cold this winter. Even my daughter, who eats vegetarian at home rather than vegan, is very healthy. Her school is full of kids with colds and flu and she hasn't caught anything.
    8 - My tastebuds have changed. I can taste more subtle flavours now, although that may be due to eating more healthily in general, rather than a consequence of being vegan.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

I've been vegan for a little under 3 months, and eating really healthfully. I have hereditary high cholesterol, and after a blood test on April 26th, my doctor prescribed Zocor. I did some research and decided to become vegan. I didn't take one pill. In less than 3 months, my cholesterol went from 265 to 205 (I had another test this week), LDL went from 190 to 133, HDL 65 to 48 ( would like that higher, but the ratio is much better) fasting glucose from 105 to 82!!!

I am so happy, besides feeling many of the things listed by all of you, the numbers really made an impact on my family, and hopefully they will get on board.

Plus, having always been an animal lover, I no longer feel like a hypocrite.

my taste buds came to life. and then i became a food snob. a vegan food snob.