Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Default Re: Bonuses about being vegan they dont tell you about ;)

Ah that's ok then although rubbish for me! haha
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Quote FaerieSuzy View Post
    s Oreo suitable for vegans?
    Oreo is currently not suitable for vegans because the recipe contains whey powder. We’re also hoping to work on a vegan option soon, so watch this space. Whey-powder free, vegan-happy Oreo will hopefully be available soon. Exciting!

This is from Oreo's UK website.... :/ maybe it's different in other places??
    Oreo's in Australia are vegan, shame they aren't in the UK

Having a sense of freedom and peace knowing that you do not contribute to animal suffering...............although I always feel sadness when I pass a field of cows or sheep, at least I can look them in the eye and know that I am not part of their plight.

After years of indigestion and stomach trouble (hiatal hernia and duodenal ulcer) feeling well after becoming vegan. Last medical investigation showed no ulcer and the hernia was gone........they said it must be a 'sliding hernia' whatever that is, but as far as I'm concerned it hasn't troubled me since becoming vegan over 5 years ago now. The best part is I only became vegan because of the animals so the resulting better health is a bonus.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

First dibs on the vegan cakes when out biking (ie. vegan friends offer me treats)

Being the only person at work with a healthy BMI.

Quote BlackBow View Post
    -You don't have to wash your hands after touching a raw version of your food.
    Unfortunately, in Germany, this is no longer possible right now :-(

There is a strain of EHEC (Escheria Coli 137.7) with already 10 dead and hundreds infected, that was presumably transmitted by ... raw vegetables :-(

Of course, the deadly germs are "produced" by intensive animal agriculture, but contamination of vegetables with manure or poisoned water is currently seen as the most likely reason, with cucumbers from Spain and Holland already having been identified as carrying the germ (I guess they were contaminated somewhere in the food logistic, as there are no cases in those countries themselves).

So right now there is a health warning out NOT to eat raw vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes and salad in the North of Germany.
    Of course, the omnis and meat addicts are having a field day now ...

Best regards,
    Andy

I so hope they make the connection this time: intensive animal farming spreads/causes diseases/viruses/infections. Solution: stop intensive animal farming. I'm willing to bet they'll just use more antibiotics and carry on busness as usual though

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Of course, the omnis and meat addicts are having a field day now ...
    I don't see why, unless they never eat vegetables at all, in which case they have other things to worry about!

Well, Harpy, logic is obviously not a meat addicts forte, right?

They are now just gloating that they are happy to get their cholesterol-laden junk food and french fries instead of healthy organic vegetables or the like. Of course, heart attack, diabetes, obesity of something similar will get them, but that takes a longer time. That outbreak is here and now and all over the news.

And the analysis so far is that those affected had 'eaten a significantly higher amount of fresh vegetables than those eating in the same restaurants and not affected.

(So they will continue to gloat until the authorities find out what REALLY caused this outbreak - where by now I am a bit sceptical that it will turn out to be raw veggies)

Best regards,
    Andy

Hmm, I suppose eating raw food does carry some risks that eating cooked food doesn't, to the extent that cooking kills some micro-organisms. But anyway I gather the authorities have already decided that the e. coli found on the cucumbers is a different strain from the one associated with these cases of serious illness. I don't see anything to gloat about, either way

I haven't been following it in much details... so far I heard about tourists being in infected in Germany, now Andy mentions restaurants... did people buying cucumbers/vegetables and preparing themselfs get sick as well ?

Or is the problem restricted to people eating out ?
    Tourists would be typical eating prepared food and not cook themselfs...

I don't think the picture is at all clear at the moment, CoolCat. Here's a recent report.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ma...en?INTCMP=SRCH

There is a suggestion in that article that the use of cattle manure as a fertiliser might be a factor. Obviously that's not a problem with veganic produce, if you can get/grow it.

Quote felix_amborosa View Post
    Oreo's in Australia are vegan, shame they aren't in the UK
    'Lo Felix

It was a while back now but I found that the Oreos in my local Costco were vegan.

I think Costcos act as a clearance warehouse for their parent compnay Walmart so that may explain why ..
    All done in the best possible taste ...

The freedom to dig in the rubbish bin. Seriously. My daughter's little friend asked for our beer caps and I said "yes, sure, just threw them in the bin" She was astonished that I would grope around, but, I assured her "what, just a bit of carrot-peel and some empty rice packets". Most definitely an experience she wouldn't attempt in her bin... ;-)
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Default Re: Positive (side) effects of going vegan?

Here's an article (from mnn.com) about the same topic:
    Real testimonies: Rewarded for being vegan
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Just joined so can't read all the replies but for me it was simple: dropped 30lbs, Bad chlosterol (spelling) dropped 50 points, blood pressure went to the normal range, no longer had that afternoon slump (post lunch feeling), and other signs of eating a real basic (not acidic) diet...

Quote pat sommer View Post
    The freedom to dig in the rubbish bin
    That cracked me up! I feel the same way, and I also love not feeling the need to obsessively sterilize the kitchen counters to kill the germs from meat, and getting to use the same cutting board for every job!

I've had some pretty dramatic changes:
    - A noticeable improvement in my blood circulation - my limbs used to fall asleep all the time, and I could never seem to regulate my body temperature, but it's gotten a LOT better now.
    - My eyesight has improved quite a bit - I need glasses for reading and using the computer, and when I used to forget them I would get a bad headache and blurry eyes within a half hour of reading. This improved so much that I now have to remind myself all the time to wear them because I can go hours and hours without my glasses and suffer no ill effects. My eye doctor wrote me a weaker prescription the last time I saw him, and said the only explanation for the improvement is better blood flow due to my diet.
    - My digestion improved and I'm more 'regular' now, I sleep a bit better and have less bouts of insomnia, my PMS has gotten better, and I find my thinking is less 'fuzzy' and my memory seems to be a bit better
    - Also, the peace and well-being that comes with knowing that my actions now align with my values
    It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions ~ Mark Twain

One bonus of being vegan is that you can eat lots more vegetables and fruits. When you're an omni or a lacto-ovo, eating the animal products takes a lot of your appetite and you end up not being hungry for vegetables/fruits any more. No wonder omnis don't eat many vegetables...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

Quote maggielassie View Post
    When you're an omni or a lacto-ovo, eating the animal products takes a lot of your appetite and you end up not being hungry for vegetables/fruits any more.
    ...and that's a lot more important than most people think, and a main reason people on a diet including animal products so often are short in antioxidants, vitamin B9 etc.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

I've noticed my asthma is so much better since I gave up dairy. Unfortunately, my dad still suffers from very bad asthma yet won't listen to me. I also feel like I can say that I love animals and not feel like a hypocrite. One downside is that i cannot kiss my boyfriend after he's eated..He ate pizza the other night and had cheese breath..blegh!

Oh, there are plenty of positive effects of veganism, at least in my case. I think others mentioned them too:

- clearer skin
    - no more acne (just very rarely)
    - I've lost weight (24 lb./ 11 kg)
    - no more PMS and pain(my periods used to last about 5-6 days, now just 1 or 2 days and not even every month)
    - clearer mind and thinking
    - I need less sleep than I used to(I used to sleep 10-12 hours to feel okay and now I feel fully charged after a 7-8 hours sleep)
    - better digestion, no more obstructions
    - better memory
    - no more urinal infection(I used to have this 2-3 times a year)
    - an inner feeling of peace and contentment
    - cleaner teeth
    - and many others that I can't name now
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

adam.rurka

-Better blood pressure
    -Better cholesterol
    -Better BMI
    -More energy
    -Improved athletic performance (in fact, i'm running/biking faster than ever while putting less effort into training)
    -Less fatigue
    -Doing the planet a favor

Default Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

my skin is so clear and silky smooth. it almost has this glow to it. i have lost weight and enjoy exercising more. my digestive system is oh so happy. i find that i need less sleep to feel alert in the morning. there are also emotional aspects too. i am happier, more self-confident, and i just have this amazing outlook that i never had before. i think about everything differently than i did before. i find myself really caring about our health, economy, and environmental issues.

splodge

I'm autistic, and (although I only recently realized there might be a connection) about 7 or 8 months after going vegan I had a massive epiphany and developed "empathy" for want of a better word. I was always sensitive to other people feelings but I could only see them from my point of view. I thought people were talking from some inborn script that I didn't have, and that there was an exact and correct response to every single sentence someone might say. So, before my epiphany, I would memorise every conversation I heard. Then one day I was just reading an interview and I just "got" it. I just suddenly made the connection the people just say what they think, and now when people talk to me I can truly connect with what they're saying and understand their feelings. In that moment it felt like I suddenly understood the whole world and that I was "seeing" for the first time. It was incredible.

I now suspect it's related to veganism because when you have the mental click it causes profound and positive psycological changes that probably alter the structure of your brain. Also when you go vegan you can see the whole world clearer anyway, when you realise that the whole system is wrong and nothing "has" to happen. No person and no animal ever has to die or suffer for you. I "get" equality now. It's like you evolve from being a barbarian and only caring about your own world, to having the ability to function in a theoretical global society.

I might have said this before but I can now see pictures of animals and be around animals and not feel like a total ass. This is a selfish side affect I guess but knowing what they went through and pushing it away in my mind so I could eat animals parts and there secretions was painful on my mind and body.
    After a few weeks I started I really caring again and that was priceless.

2- Oh and getting rid of all that dairy from my diet cleared up alot of chest / body mucus I had no idea was not normal for humans.

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Quote splodge View Post
    I'm autistic, and (although I only recently realized there might be a connection) about 7 or 8 months after going vegan I had a massive epiphany and developed "empathy" for want of a better word. I was always sensitive to other people feelings but I could only see them from my point of view. I thought people were talking from some inborn script that I didn't have, and that there was an exact and correct response to every single sentence someone might say. So, before my epiphany, I would memorise every conversation I heard. Then one day I was just reading an interview and I just "got" it. I just suddenly made the connection the people just say what they think, and now when people talk to me I can truly connect with what they're saying and understand their feelings. In that moment it felt like I suddenly understood the whole world and that I was "seeing" for the first time. It was incredible.

I now suspect it's related to veganism because when you have the mental click it causes profound and positive psycological changes that probably alter the structure of your brain. Also when you go vegan you can see the whole world clearer anyway, when you realise that the whole system is wrong and nothing "has" to happen. No person and no animal ever has to die or suffer for you. I "get" equality now. It's like you evolve from being a barbarian and only caring about your own world, to having the ability to function in a theoretical global society.
    That is an amazing story and truly moving . I am so happy for you and, well, you just made my day!

I completely agree about the mental click. Going vegan for me has meant so many different things. My whole perception of the world as a whole has changed, not just my diet. But if something like that can move people to go through experiences like yours, then... well that just proves how going vegan is probably one of the best decisions any human being could ever make. The list of reasons just gets longer and longer and longer...

It would actually be very interesting for there to be more research on the psychological effects that a vegan diet might have on people, as every single study I have read until now has focused mainly on the physical health aspects. That might encourage even more people to go vegan!

This is just great!

No more congestion!
    My cravings for junk food have all but disappeared.
    It's only day eight, y'all. =]

Quote stirfry View Post
    That's such as shame! Being vegan doesn't mean having to live without junk food:

Quote stirfry View Post
    . =]
    It's my 1 year veganniversary and I've finally started to enjoy carrot sticks more than sweets! Haha it gets even better

Congrats on the 1 year veganversary!

Firestorm:
    I'll keep that book in mind if a craving ever comes along. I found that within the first few days I would have weaker and weaker cravings. I could just tell myself no and bye-bye craving.
    I had tried going vegan in the past. Cheese always beat me down. Perhaps it's because I'm cooking better food now, but I didn't miss it after the first day.

Quote FaerieSuzy View Post
    It's my 1 year veganniversary and I've finally started to enjoy carrot sticks more than sweets! Haha it gets even better
    Happy anniversary FaerieSuzy!
    I love carrot sticks too but have to admit I also love sweets.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    Happy anniversary FaerieSuzy!
    I love carrot sticks too but have to admit I also love sweets.
    Thanks Sandra!

Positive side effects of going vegan? You mean, apart from my effortless moral superiority? My skin doesn't seem as prone to spots (thank God, as they were beginning to look increasingly anachronistic, given that I'm 42). Also, my nails seem to be better (they were never terrible but they look great atm). In addition, I've expanded my repertoire of meals (thank God for Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and also the Hamlyn Vegetarian Cookbook published in the 90s: some excellent vegan recipes). Fewer headaches, which I only realised when somebody further up the thread mentioned it. And noticeable improvement in digestion. On the other hand, simmering frustration at finding the words 'whey' or 'egg white' in ingredients lists.

That's actually atopic I plan to cover soon in my daily vegan blog www.veganjulia.com. I had never had an issue with my weight before, but within a month or so of going vegan (cold turkey from Omni) I found I weighed 10 lbs less- which I now know I should blame solely on the dairy and eggs - and my fingernails went through a time when they were super strong. They react badly with nail polish, and I got greedy, so for now they're crummy again, but they were so strong and long- whereas before they would be weak and peely. It's been awesome so far. I don't get the same crashes I used to, as well as fewer headaches after meals. I never thought I'd be an advocate, but now seem to want to promote it when I can.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i too lost a fair bit of excess weight when first starting out on a vegan diet (having been veggie before). people have commented that i look slimmer and healthier.

i didn't expect to be free of cravings for non-vegan (but still veggie) foods so quickly! i don't miss any of those foods i used to like any more, and now they make me feel a bit ill just thinking about them - e.g. milk chocolate, cheese, egg-fried rice, milky coffee. the vegan versions taste much better anyway! i've also developed a taste for healthier foods, as i think has been mentioned in another thread, which i didn't expect.
    I've been vegan for almost 5 months now, and I have to be honest. Other than the odd craving here or there for a pizza or something really cheesy, most of m cravings have gone. And I went cold-turkey - not vegetarian first- so I expected to have a difficult time of it. You can check out some of the awesome recipes that have helped me not miss the meat or dairy as much, along with the books they come from at www.veganjulia.com. It's a daily blog I started on Jan 1, that talks about my experiences and the recipes I have made. The one that I think actually made the difference for me was my last carrot cake that I made. It had mock cream cheese, and tasted so much like the real thing, that it made me think anything was possible!

Quote Juice View Post
    I find I recover from workouts much faster. I'm rarely sore the next day. I don't know the physiology behind this, I imagine fighting animal products through an omni's body would take energy away from recovery.
    I too find that recovery time is greatly reduced. I play hockey, and used to be a wreck after a shift. I never felt ready to go back out when the next person came off, but now, after about 20 seconds, I'm not even breathing hard anymore. It's so cool. I've only been vegan for about 5 months now, chronicling my adventures on my daily vegan blog www.veganjulia.com, so I can only imagine what the future benefits will be after a year, or 5, but it's been great so far!

Two weeks in and I feel much more.. clear headed? Hard to describe. I feel more in tune with the world and have more attention.
    I also just really like feeling in control of my own body and what I am consuming.

I feel I'm the person I always should have been.

My skin is better, body feels lighter, had tests to show my vitamin levels are better than when I was vegetarian, I bounce back from my joint issues much quicker.

I feel more for the world, for nature. I enjoy cooking. I have a different attitude towards food and appreciate it more. I appreciate the little things in life. I think more about where things come from.

I am much more confident in saying why I am vegan and knowing I am doing the right thing, which has affected my confidence in other areas.

Discovering loads of new food, learning to cook, feeling like I'm doing something decent with my life.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    That's such as shame! Being vegan doesn't mean having to live without junk food:*snip*
    Too true. Lays potato chips, Fritos corn chips, and original Sunchips are all vegan.

And then there's Hummus and tortilla chips. *drool*

Quote Tabbycat View Post

Too true. Lays potato chips, Fritos corn chips, and original Sunchips are all vegan.

And then there's Hummus and tortilla chips. *drool*
    Depending obviously on your location, there is so much accidentally (and purposely!) vegan junk food available now. You can get a vegan version of nearly everything, and if you can't- D.I.Y! Learn to cook and bake the world is your oyster mushroom!
    Houmous atá ann!

I've been vegetarian for over six years and vegan for about 6 months now. I have noticed a lot of great improvements like my energy is boosted, my skin is clearer and brighter, my digestive system is fantastic. I wake up easier in the mornings, no more crazy mood swings, no more allergies!(which is huge because I had an extremely severe allergy to dust mites) and many other things. One thing that has not changed at all, however, is my weight. The scale has not budged. I would like to lose around 10 to 15 pounds, but nothing I do works. I am mostly raw, lots of fresh pressed juices, lots of raw fruits of veggies, very limited on nuts. My main "junk food" is dates and hummus. Maybe this is my body's natural weight? I try to run several miles a week too.

Quote VeganEsthie View Post
    I've been vegetarian for over six years and vegan for about 6 months now. I have noticed a lot of great improvements like my energy is boosted, my skin is clearer and brighter, my digestive system is fantastic. I wake up easier in the mornings, no more crazy mood swings, no more allergies!(which is huge because I had an extremely severe allergy to dust mites) and many other things. One thing that has not changed at all, however, is my weight. The scale has not budged. I would like to lose around 10 to 15 pounds, but nothing I do works. I am mostly raw, lots of fresh pressed juices, lots of raw fruits of veggies, very limited on nuts. My main "junk food" is dates and hummus. Maybe this is my body's natural weight? I try to run several miles a week too.
    It sounds like that's the weight your body wants to be. If your doctor says you are healthy and fine at the weight you are, I wouldn't worry about it.

I am living my life in the way I think it suits me best: this is my inner truth, and no one is able to take it away from me. Thanks to this awareness I entered in a sort of virtuous cycle, where other pieces of my life are switching to a better status and, because of that, they are all joining into a better Me.

tl;dr: this is the happiest time of my life, thanks to adopting the vegan lifestyle.

An old friend has been convinced by her daughter to give up red meat for a year on health grounds. Five days now of vegan eating and her hearing is restored with the drop in blood pressure.

What's next, the blind shall see? Can I have a hallelujah; praise veggies!

Amazing! I take it they won't be backsliding then, Pat!

...already planning on fish dinner Thursday and grilled chicken breast next week *sigh*

They really are aiming to do the minimum for better health (not for the animals) and it's my hope that they will just lose the taste for Burgerking etc.
    I have a stockpile of frozen analogs that I'll give to help with temptation. Oh, that they walk through the valley of darkness...
    Last edited by pat sommer; Apr 4th, 2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote splodge View Post

This is completely amazing, it is so far the best testimony I've read.
    Lots of love for you.

Quote pat sommer View Post
    ...already planning on fish dinner Thursday and grilled chicken breast next week *sigh*

Yes, sigh indeed! Good luck with the analogues and things Yes they may just lose their taste for it - some people do don't they?

Update: friend has now found relief from 'anal leakage'. Shortly after pooing, she would uncontrollably pass mucous from her irritated colon. Lovely.

Slightly off topic: L.A. Times ran a steak-restaurant review with caption "weak from eating all that quinoa?"

Response:

My late father got his strength from red meat: his heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis too.
    Dad loved his steak; it didn't love him back.

Quinoa rocks