Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

RubyDuby

Default Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

yeah, maybe you could pack a thermos full of soy milk for her? Esp if the dairy is contributing to her sinus issues.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

or they have the little individual soymilks, they are perfect for kids or lunch boxes. I can't imagine the school minding, there are so many people with allergies. Besides she is your daughter and your responsibility you have the right to decide what she eats or drinks.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Now I don't just feel physically better and cleaner, but also mentally I feel more pure and sort of in symbiosis with the earth if you know what I mean :P Something I didn't feel when I was still driving a car and eating meat and stuff.

patientia

Gourmandism

I'm far more mindful about what I consume, in a way that goes beyond what I eat or issues relating to animal cruelty.

I've begun monitoring the ingredients in my food, skin care, household products, etc, trying to avoid products and substances that either result from exploitation or that may be detrimental to my or my family's* health in the long run. I really believe that the mindfulness required to live a vegan lifestyle brought about these other changes in my life.

*My long-term non-husband, our feline overlord and myself. I count it as family!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Thanks for the suggestions, She doesnt get offered anything but milk right now because they don't go by the same lunch menu as the older kids, its a half day program. In Sept when she starts Kindergarten I do plan on packing her lunch every day! It will get expensive but I know it's the only way to make sure she's eating mostly Organic foods as well (I prefer organic, tastes better lol)

I'm not sure why, but I've lost 4 lbs in 4 days? I've been struggling with my weight since my pregnancy with my daugther, I gained 100lbs!! Lost 50 then got pregnant with my son and gained 50 back Im down 70 now but it stopped when our son passed away 2 years ago and Ive tried everything so this is a pleasant surprise, although in high school I went veggie and quite some time and dropped 40lbs lol

RubyDuby

sorry to hear about your son.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I'm sorry for your loss, CarrieBerry.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Thank you!

And on another note, today is day 5 for me and WOW!!!!!!!!!! I feel even better! Ok so my bosses daughter tried getting me to eat a choc. chip cookie from subway, and i didnt even WANT it!! I didnt even have a craving for it so I kept telling her no thank you and she goes "ill put it down right here in front of you" like HELLO! WHY would you do that? it was completely rude to assume Im weak and would eat it! I feel so good that the thought of eating that cookie made me cringe!!
    Im noticing that my attention to detail is already starting to come through vividly as well! I feel just wonderful and went grocery shopping last night and honestly i thought buying actual vegan foods would kill my wallet and guess what? IT DIDNT! my husband could NOT believe all the foods I got for a little less than what i normally would spend on half the amount even shopping at aldi's and I went to the grocery store and into the section with the organics and gluten free and dairy free and vegan foods and spent less.........it felt soo good! Lots of raw foods in my house now too lol

ok im rambling so ill stop, i just feel so good i started blogging about it too haha!

~ Carrie

Default What are some of your favorite effects of your veganism?

Quote Burntfruit View Post

On the plus side, I felt emotional benefits - I was quite depressed, but feel happier now, and more at peace.
    Thats how Im feeling too! Its GREAT! I work at a daycare and Im finding myself slowly already becoming calm around the 2 year olds

After one month vegan now I definately feel different in many positive ways; clearer skin with more colour in my face instead of how pale I used to look, clearer mind and better concentration, calmer in general, and happier. Its amazing what a guilt free lifestyle can do for you physically and mentally.

Stuart

A 30" waist at 30, so I found out the other week

Default What are some of your favorite effects of your veganism? (2)

Has anyone else noticed this as well? fter I eat ANYTHING now, my stomach doesnt bloat from here to kingdom come! I never feel heavy and weighed down and I love it! Im also finding as others have stated that even the thought of consuming an animal product or byproduct sends guilt right through me and im also trying a LOT of different things I never wouldve tried before Loving it still

^ Yes, I've found that as well, though if I eat anything with wheat, I do get quite bloated, so I avoid it.

I've been vegan for nearly five months, and I've noticed a huge increase in energy, as well as general health etc. I also feel a lot calmer, and more in tune with nature and my spiritual self. I have always loved nature, however when I go outside now, everything -- no mater how cloudy or miserable -- just seems so much more beautiful. The horses and cows near my house come over more often to say hello, and are comfortable in my presence. To me, that is priceless.
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

I think veganism resulted to my being flexible and energetic. After my first month being vegan even though i wake up during 5 AM for school i feel that i'm in a good mood and i feel fresh. I usually say "Good morning star shine the Earth says, Hello". I feel good and i don't find it hard moving around like before, ifeel that i can do a lot of things.

Enjoying the confusion on peoples faces when you say you're vegan, its always priceless

cobweb

I'm sure i've said this before, but to me it's that feeling of working towards a better future that feels so good, and knowing that i'm part of a progressive movement.

Talks to crows

Quote cobweb View Post
    I'm sure i've said this before, but to me it's that feeling of working towards a better future that feels so good, and knowing that i'm part of a progressive movement.
    I agree with this. I also feel more confident in myself, holding true to what many see as a "fringe movement" because it is the right thing to do.

I also rather like having a reputation as a subversive radical. (At least in the eyes of my more staid friends and family members!)

I can still remember the feeling of absolute freedom I felt when I became vegan.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

My endurance while cycling.

Default Re: What are some of your favorite effects of your veganism? (2)

Now I don't need deodorant... seriously I don't!

rxseeeyse

trying new foods is always exciting for me. love DIY so yea love cooking too.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:43 AM.

All the usual things, as pointed out in above posts.

Although am yet to try going without deodorant! *pictures work colleagues: *

Perhaps a little slushy 'n mushy, but indirectly - some of the amazing people I have met as a result of this forum.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote CarrieBerry View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this as well? fter I eat ANYTHING now, my stomach doesnt bloat from here to kingdom come! I never feel heavy and weighed down and I love it! Im also finding as others have stated that even the thought of consuming an animal product or byproduct sends guilt right through me and im also trying a LOT of different things I never wouldve tried before Loving it still
    me too, meat fizzled out for me when i started yoga as i couldnt stand feeling full during my morning practice from gluttony the night before, veganism soon followed as a natural progression. I generally eat less now and have dropped 3 stone of useless muscle from years of weight training yet feel stronger than ever.

All in all, I feel fantastic!!!!

The best effect is losing 28Lb's & my 24 year old nephew asking how I've done it!!

Stuart

Is it wrong to say I see or feel no difference? I've dropped waist size, this is it, really...

I noticed a change when I went from omni to veggie however.

As a wegetarian I had some blue days, in some periods quite few of them. Since I've been a vegan I seem to be much heapier. It maybe because I really started eat a lot of fruits.

I've managed to lose the 10kg I've been trying to lose for about 6 months within 2 months of becoming vegan, without even being careful with what I ate or doing much exercise!! It's fantastic

Talks to crows

I think my favorite effects are personal and emotional. I feel that I am living in a manner that is in honest correspondence with the way I view the world.

Keane

Quote Stuart View Post
    Is it wrong to say I see or feel no difference?
    No, in fact I find any comparison impossible. I'd need a middle-aged omnivorous doppelganger - or maybe two - to compare with. A healthy living fitness fanatic one who eats 'organic' meat, does triathlons and cycles 50 miles a day; and a lazy one who has his brekkie at the local greasy spoon, lunch at the local boozer, tea at McBKFC and a kebab for supper.

It fulfills me as a person and makes me happy! I feel in peace with the world and it's the most wonderful feeling ever.

Aaah, such lovely answers
    ---

It's weird how I too feel so much more free with all the dietary preferences. I guess I feel that way because it's a bit like seeing the whole picture and thinking outside the box and not just do what all the other people do just because. Awesome feeling. I also got the clearer skin thing and more energy, and no more flues!

1) Increased energy levels whilst running
    2) Immune system boost - Since being vegan I now get ill so rarely
    3) My cooking skills and creativity in the kitchen
    A vegan dietitian in the making :)

Rocket Queen

Quote Linz View Post
    3) My cooking skills and creativity in the kitchen
    Definitely that one!
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

^ I second that! When I think about what I ate as a meat eater, I think "ugh, how boring!!"

Mine, summed up in a quote by Gandhi ..

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are all in harmony"

S'easy to be stuff like pro-life, anti-dp, pacifist etc but it aint 'all' in harmony 'less you remove violence from your diet too.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Less allergy/sinus symptoms! I've always had some chronic issues there and still do, but they are so much less now.... TMI WARNING! -I no longer have to gag out a ton of phlegm in the morning from post-nasal drip. TMI OVER!

Veganism clearly feels so much better:

- no more cold or flu when the weather changes (if I catch any cold, it's extremely light);

- a lot less skin problems/spots (hardly any, now);

- no more IBS;

- no more strong BO; and

- no more food poisoning.

On the mental/psychological side:

- no more guilty conscience; and

- feeling at peace with myself.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

I currently have the flu, and the symptoms are far less severe than they have been in the past during other bouts.

My skin...is gorgeous!

I sleep much better.

My glucose measurements are near normal. As I keep losing weight, they'll become normal.

Psoriasis---gone.

BlackBow

Default Bonuses about being vegan they dont tell you about ;)

This is going to be a little bit of a humorous post.

We all know the common benefits to going vegan- it
    saves animals, dramatically lowers heart attack chances, weight loss ETC.
    But what about some of the lesser known benefits?
    I made a small list....

-You don't have to wash your hands after touching a raw version of your food.
    -When you eat a meal you don't have to worry rather or not it will give you heart attack.
    -While baking you can eat the raw batter without fear of contracting salmonella.
    -You get free comedy from the funny comments you will hear from people misinformed
    about veganism.
    -The joy only a vegan can get when you see anything that says "Dairy-Free"
    -The glorious sound of tofu sizzling...
    -The huge amount of hope for the future you get when you find out a baby is
    a vegan

That's all I got feel free to share your own
    Last edited by Korn; Jul 13th, 2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Bonuses about being vegan they dont tell you about ;)

I would also like to add:

- Spending an hour at work explaining to my manager how a quiche can be made vegan (its an hours less work to do)!
    - The joy of actually veganizing something and it working - cake, quiche, scotch eggs
    - For a lot of people it increases interest in nutrition and cooking
    - When someone (non-vegan) sees animal abuse or the horror of meat/dairy production and being able to say "I'm not a part of that, fancy going Vegan".
    - Getting to use the vegan forum

Lets also not forget, there is of course the benefit of being able to use the Vegan Forum!!

Not having to worry about indigestion...

Quote BlackBow View Post

-While baking you can eat the raw batter without fear of contracting salmonella.
    I discovered this the other whilst making cookies! So exciting!!!
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

whoops *other DAY

The joy of discovering accidental vegan products, such as oreos, skittles and arnotts strawberry jam biscuits
    When you feed anti-vegan omnies vegan food and they love it...WIN
    Discovering that your childhood idols are vegan

Quote felix_amborosa View Post
    The joy of discovering accidental vegan products, such as oreos, skittles and arnotts strawberry jam biscuits
    s Oreo suitable for vegans?
    Oreo is currently not suitable for vegans because the recipe contains whey powder. We’re also hoping to work on a vegan option soon, so watch this space. Whey-powder free, vegan-happy Oreo will hopefully be available soon. Exciting!

This is from Oreo's UK website.... :/ maybe it's different in other places??

In some places they are vegan, I'm quite sure they are in the states.

Quote FaerieSuzy View Post
    s Oreo suitable for vegans?
    Oreo is currently not suitable for vegans because the recipe contains whey powder. We’re also hoping to work on a vegan option soon, so watch this space. Whey-powder free, vegan-happy Oreo will hopefully be available soon. Exciting!

This is from Oreo's UK website.... :/ maybe it's different in other places??
    Yes Oreo's have a different recipe in different area's / regions.