Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Update: friend has now found relief from 'anal leakage'. Shortly after pooing, she would uncontrollably pass mucous from her irritated colon. Lovely.
    I have just been slightly traumatised! That poor woman!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Aha! I get it now: reading at the moment about FOMO, fear of missing out.

It takes just a few days of feeling a 'hol lot betta to overcome the feeling of being 'restricted' when others are indulging.
    Paradoxically and not news to any of us, vegan eating widens the variety and enjoyment!

I'll be seeing folks thru a different lens now. How they are willing to continue suffering and striving for an elusive something else. FOMO powerful stuff. But heck, replacing pharmaceuticals and surgery with vegetables might be asking too much
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I have always been skinny so I did not lose any weight, but my friends comment that I look so young that it is becoming irritating. It is normal though, as all my friends smoke, drink tons of coffee, consume alcohol quite often as well and are super stressed. Not a good combination.
    Since going vegan, I have incorporated in my diet so many amazing foods that I can now not live without. Sesame paste, nutritional yeast, raw cashew nuts, seaweed are some of my favorites. I have always loved cooking but the veganizing stuff is a great challenge that I really enjoy
    My skin definitely looks better and my body more toned (I started yoga along with veganism). I did have a low iron incident but that is fixed now. The switch to veganism helped me tune in with what my body really needs and what it is missing.
    Another side effect is that I cannot tolerate alcohol. I used to drink 3 whiskeys at parties and still be in that "fun fun fun" mood, but now a glass of wine or two and I am done for the night

I would love to be irritated by friends calling me young! I'm irritated by most things anyway...

Good luck with yoga. Keep up the camel and downward dog etc.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote pat sommer View Post
    I would love to be irritated by friends calling me young! I'm irritated by most things anyway...

Good luck with yoga. Keep up the camel and downward dog etc.
    haha, I meant that it is irritating for them, not me I thoroughly enjoy it, to be honest

- I look younger. It's not that I am "old", I am only 27. Sometimes when I buy beer and cashier is looking at my ID, they go like "NO WAY" I attribute that to flawless glowing skin. Which used to be horrible with lots of breakouts and uneven skin tone.
    - haven't had a constipation, bloating and discomfort in a looooong time
    - lost weight without even trying
    - I smell good. Seriously, my sweat doesn't smell bad at all and khm, khm, sorry for TMI, but my girlfriend says that it's like peaches down there
    - ENERGY! I forgot what it's like to be tired in the middle of the day. You know, how some people get sluggish and tired after a hefty meal of meat and potatoes? Or that mid-afternoon drag people complain about? I never have that, I always feel like I just drank a gallon of Red Bull.
    - I sleep so much better and I need less sleep
    - haven't had cold in years
    - I used to suffer from ear infections at least twice and at most 5 times a year, yea, it was THAT bad. Haven't had once in years since going vegan. I attribute that to the missing dairy products
    - my cellulite is gone. It's not even better, it is GONE. And no, I am not stick thin, in fact, I used to be skinnier at one point and had tons of it.

I'm still giving it some more time to see if the changes I've noticed stay or not, and I'll report on them later, but for now, I thought I'd share about one funny side effect: I smell really nice - kind of fruity and sweet, and if I sweat it smells like condensed milk or something...

Even my, ahem, less fragrant emissions smell much less offensive!

Quote Peabrain View Post
    I'm still giving it some more time to see if the changes I've noticed stay or not, and I'll report on them later, but for now, I thought I'd share about one funny side effect: I smell really nice - kind of fruity and sweet, and if I sweat it smells like condensed milk or something...

Even my, ahem, less fragrant emissions smell much less offensive!
    the BO of meat eaters is repulsive, it's almost toxic!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

One thing I have noticed recently and people have been commenting on like crazy is that my hair looks so much better. It is growing so fast and it is getting so much thicker and it actually feels healthy. Now I know this isn't all due to going vegan since I did stop bleaching it last September and just dyed it black, but it feels healthier than it did before I started bleaching it.

But do not underestimate the drawbacks of going vegan, either!!!

Concerned,
    Andy

Quote Andy_T View Post

Concerned,
    Andy
    Hahaha! Yes quite, I have experienced some of those. *tut tut tut*

After almost 3 months of being vegan, I can honestly say that the change in diet is for the better. At least for me. I do feel like I have more energy on most days. I also hardly ever have any problems with serious bloating and gas like I was experiencing before.

Quote Andy_T View Post

Concerned,
    Andy
    Ha ha that's great.

One positive I have found is being a part of a sub-culture (if that's the right word) where the vast majority are really nice, friendly welcoming etc. even if they don't know you. Unlike most sub-cultures that seem based on superficial things like style of dress or taste in music it's one where the principle of kindness/compassion is what's important and this transfers through into how people treat each other too.

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    One positive I have found is being a part of a sub-culture (if that's the right word) where the vast majority are really nice, friendly welcoming etc. even if they don't know you. Unlike most sub-cultures that seem based on superficial things like style of dress or taste in music it's one where the principle of kindness/compassion is what's important and this transfers through into how people treat each other too.
    Yes, I feel I have made some really good friends from this!

^ And met some crazies!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Peabrain View Post
    Yes, I feel I have made some really good friends from this!
    Quote Gwydion View Post
    ^ And met some crazies!
    That's the thing about vegans, we are just regular people which means we have the usual mix of nice/not nice and boringly normal/benignly mad
    Houmous atá ann!

I love crazies Gwydion!

100% sure – I'm going vegan! wmtlynx's Avatar

Being able to eat loads more without gaining weight. Skin clearing up. Enhanced endurance in physical activities. And finally..., The wave effect.....

Being vegetarian I just ate 'crap' that wasn't meat. Becoming vegan I needed to know my weaknesses and explain myself a lot more - and I've accidentally educated several people who have now given up meat or seriously reduced their intake, just by me justifying my decision. I've never had a go at an omni - just answered their questions.

Since going low-fat raw vegan I have not gotten sick, not even one day.

"let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

I saw the dentist today for my six month checkup and once again received praises and a great report. The dentist said my teeth and gums are still in excellent shape and I have not had a cavity in years. It takes far less time for them to clean my teeth than it used to as an omnivore and I used to have all kinds of trouble with my teeth then. Must be the lack of sugar in my diet and all the fruits, vegetables, beans/legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds I have been consuming for the last 2.5 years.

I have received compliments off strangers for my clear, white eyes.
    I have noticed my nails, which have never been able to grow longer than a few mm without a chip suddenly became rock hard and chip free without polish or any other aids.
    I lost 3 kg after the initial change.
    My family started becoming more aware of the issues around eating meat and consuming animal products, which means they're all trying to eat less meat and more organic
    And lastly, my favourite: my VERY Omni (when we first met) BF decided that he didn't need to eat meat anymore to be healthy, and has recently made the switch to non dairy milk after seeing that I am healthier than ever without it, and knowing how much cows suffer. He has also become a lot more conscious of the suffering that animals face every day. It makes me so happy that he is willing to open his eyes to it.

Does anyone else pee way more often? I feel like I can't even make it on a 3k run without having to go.

Quote VeganEsthie View Post
    Does anyone else pee way more often? I feel like I can't even make it on a 3k run without having to go.
    Have you been tested for Diabetes or an overactive bladder?

Not currently a vegan

Well I feel more energetic, lose 3 pound last week and happy. Vegan food has change my professional and personal life too. Now I wake up early, reach office on time and all these small small things makes me happy and joyful.
    I love to vegetarian and love vegan-vegetable food.

Default Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Hello Troub! I am brand new to this forum and saw your post on loving cheese. I, too, LOVE cheese. as a matter of fact, I've considered it my fave food all my life, with pizza being my fave meal. How were you able to give it up? Thanks!!!

My squirrel and I share a lot of food.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote DavidT View Post

And these are your favourite effects???¿¿¿!!!¡¡¡
    Don't underestimate the importance of a good crap. Bowel health is of extreme importance to over all health. Good job

My mood, outlook, sleep, energy levels and taste buds all improved. I generally feel better. I too cut out all caffeine, most processed foods, processed sugars, junk food, etc… I wouldn't say I am not the most diligent vegetable eater, however I do focus on healthy, whole foods.

This might seem odd but I feel like I don't see in one image anymore. I can focus on multiple things ate once. See light better and see in layers now. It's really cool. At first I found it odd and confusing but I am more focused.

Reide, an interesting observation.
    I remember hearing very often in my childhood (which was a long time ago) that eating carrots is supposed to be good for your eyesight.

Of course, some kinds of "magic" mushrooms can also lead to your perception being altered, but I guess that is not what you are mentioning here

Best regards,
    Andy