Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Default Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Quote tabitha
    When I first started on the vegan thing, my friends little girl told her father I was a "Virgin"....he was quite shocked as I was 42 at the time......
    HeHe, this has nothing to do with veganism, just a funny little "kids say the darndest things" story. When my brother was 6 my husband and I moved to Memphis and both got jobs at Joe's Crab Shack. Now, if you know nothing about the restaurant, one of the things that all of the servers do is dance every half hour or so (one whole day of training is learning the different dances they do). So my little brother went to school and told all of his friends and teachers (who had been my teachers as well) that I had moved to Memphis to dance on tables. My mom got a phone call from one of her friends who's son was friends with my brother to ask her if I was stripping lol.

Default Re: unexpected effects

Quote pat sommer
    my omni friends say my sweat smells like a horse; I say theirs smells like a dog.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the smell of horses.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I think I've become more assertive. Much better at standing up for myself and what I believe in.

Definitely more self-assured (I guess meaties might see it as self-righteousness). I believe in myself now and I know myself. Before I hadn't figured out who I was and what I stood for and was very under confident.
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

Quote Koolvedge
    The greatest benefit to me I think was becoming much more conscious about what was going on around me. I started seeing the reality of what is really going on. Most people don't want to take off the blindfold that modern society has put on us. Veganism stripped that away, it let me see just how crazy meat-eating is. Pesticides, GMO's, Preservatives, Hidden Ingredients, all came to the surface for me to take a good look at. It made me distance myself from the crowd {not that I was ever part of it}. A new, fresh, real outlook on life, which was a great unexpected benefit.
    YES, YES, YES!!! Also:
    • Also, I notice how much we use the likeness of animals: on billboards, commercials, etc. We USE the hell out of animals in every way, shape and form.
    • Even figures of speech. No longer do I say things like "He's such a pig" Those attributes are no longer insults anymore...when I think someone is an asshole calling them a 'pig' is too good for them!
    • How instictive my cooking is now. I was one of those people who would follow a recipe to a "T". Now, I imporvise with all kinds of new veggies, grains and nuts. I love everything I make.
    I was meant to live this way all along!
    "Destiny, or karma, depends upon what the soul has done about what it has become aware of."
    --
    Edgar Cayce

More likely to protect what I stand for and not allow myself to be walked over. I had canker sores for fifteen years..and they disappeared when I stopped eating meat and cheese.

Dont have to go on those binge diets.

I notice how callus people are towards animals...and understand how they can go to war and kill each other over it. Not a big difference.

feral

Quote monkey60613
    when I think someone is an asshole
    Hey! My asshole takes offence at that comment. It believes itself to be a vital functioning part of my anatomy and believes that you are being organist in your use of it's name as an insult

Russ

"It's political correctness gone mad!"

Quote feral
    Hey! My asshole takes offence at that comment. It believes itself to be a vital functioning part of my anatomy and believes that you are being organist in your use of it's name as an insult

Hey Feral!

Tell your asshole I don't give a shit! I can only take on one cause at a time.

"Destiny, or karma, depends upon what the soul has done about what it has become aware of."
    --
    Edgar Cayce

Russ

I don't remember Feral saying that.

feral

Heh heh heh I don't remember saying it either Russ

Russ

Well,
    that'll teach you to throw winks around, near the bottom of the page.

feral

And there was me assuming people could grasp the concept of typing outside the [Quote] box

[quote=feral] And there was me assuming people could grasp the concept of typing outside the
    box

I'm totally lost! Am I making some forum faux pas? Are we not supposed to swear/cuss or something? Please enlighten me!
    --
    Edgar Cayce

feral

lol don't worry monkey, it's just that you typed inside my quote box (the blue box) on that previous post and Russ picked up on it and was being a cheeky ... well... monkey, it's all Russ's fault

Ah ha! I see now. But seriously how do utilize the quote option properly?
    --
    Edgar Cayce

Russ

You almost did use it right. It's just that feral placed a winking face really far down on her post so when you typed in response, you were still typing within the quote box, without realising it. It's all feral's fault.

* my allergies aren't even a zillionth of what they once were
    * generally become a better person- more aware of saying things that might hurt people's feelings etc (I've been a bit of an unsensitive git in the past!)
    * because I never liked the flavour of things like eggs, milk and cream I've now found that the vegan subsitutes totally kick their ass anyway
    * appreciate the environment more
    * discovered how junk food had been destroying me
    * stopped eating vegetarian microwaved meals thinking they were healthy (DUH!)

veganism rules

Hah, one thing that I've noticed recently is how white my teeth have become. I didn't think anything of it until, reading this thread, I heard someone else mention it. Maybe it is my diet after all? I'd just assumed vegan toothpaste had some special whitening ingredient.

And I can't say that I've fully torn myself from microwave dinners, that vegan eggplant parmesian tastes way too amazing! (I tried making my own, but it tasted pretty disgusting).

OMG! Yes, I thought I was just "seeing" things but I swear my teeth are whiter too. How funny! I started using Tom's of Maine toothpaste. So is it the diet thing then? What was causes yellowing of the teeth?
    --
    Edgar Cayce

feral

Perhaps it was the pus in the milk... sorry I couldn't resist

Russ

Don't apologise, this is a vegan forum remember

I find my teeth look more yellow now. *shrugs*

Overall, my skin glows but I'm starting to get pimples. I never had pimples before until last month. Weird.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i think my teeth are slightly more yellow too, but that is because of all the black coffee i drink becase the university cafes never have soya milk but
    I no longer have period pains,
    I put weight on (I was a bit underwieght before so thats no bad thing!),
    I don't suffer from hayfever as much as I used to
    I eat far more exciting things and I am much more creative with food
    I have had to learn so much more about nutrition to answer all those questions, like "where do you get protein from?" and "what about B vitamins?" and generally about health
    The only thing that really surprises me is that I experience hunger in a different way to when I was vegetarian, i don't have gradual stages of hunger from fullup- peckish- quite hungry- starving I leap straight in at the starving end and it can be without warning. I must eat five times a day! even though i get plenty of carbs and protein to keep me going.

Quote Kim[ba]
    Cleaner Underwear!!!

Soft Effortless Poop Every Morning And Evening!!!

Cracks me up!
    --
    Edgar Cayce

Quote Agatha
    The only thing that really surprises me is that I experience hunger in a different way to when I was vegetarian, i don't have gradual stages of hunger from fullup- peckish- quite hungry- starving I leap straight in at the starving end and it can be without warning. I must eat five times a day! even though i get plenty of carbs and protein to keep me going.
    Maybe, for you, it is because you are not getting enough fat?
    It's funny because I have always been that way for as long as I can remember. My fiance would take me out when we first started dating and he would say "Where do you want to eat?" And I would say "I'm not hungry I just ate." And he would say something like "Well, we had better find a restaraunt right now then!"
    Funny since I went vegan he seems to have forgotten that entirely and now blames my hunger entirely on "You only eat vegetables."

I'm trying to think of some unexpected effects and I guess one is that my nails are so strong and have a fairly even white color rather than being clear in places like they were when I was lacto.
    Another thing which is more of a cause for my veganism:
    When I quit smoking and made it through the withdrawal, I noticed that when I didn't eat meat for any amount of time I would get a similar feeling to nicotine withdrawal. VERY similar.

mango woman

I just realized that my nails, once brittle and unable to grow past my fingertip [as in suuuuuuuper short], now grow nicely.

Agatha, i know what you mean. I have to eat pretty often, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.. but i do go from feeling fine to ravenous.. which kind of sucks. I will eat a medium sized meal and an hour or so later i will feel hungry again. Usually i end up eating something every couple of hours.. and i try to keep the portions smaller so theyre not a bunch of giant meals.

Some other things that i'm a bit nervous about since going vegan is that though my hair is nicer feeling and looking, it seems to have thinned out a bit. I also lost my period a while ago.. as in over a year ago [i've gotten it once since, for like two days..]. But i'm not sure if that's even related to the veganism. I was a vegetarian before, so yeah.. who knows. I have a doc's appt in a few weeks. Apparently it runs in the family or something.

Thumbs up Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

I am loving being vegan! I have a new appreciation (more like obsession) for cooking. I'm addicted to vegan cookbooks! I didn't realize that I would have NO cravings for nonvegan foods. I'm so happy about that! I crave dates, nuts, and mushrooms !
    When I look back, I have never felt this great before. I never really loved cheese, meat, and yogurt, etc. But I would eat it anyways in moderation. Now that I have made that switch, I am so much happier. Especially when I have a great vegan meal infront of me.
    I also love when my family and friends try my recipes and really like them. I like to fool people and tell them later it's vegan.
    Does anyone use Beano? If you haven't tried it~ Do it!!! (if there is anything bad about using it, will someone tell me , Thanks!)
    Now that I am eating and living this way, I am suprised to see how animal based other peoples diets are. Strange, but "normal" to them. Im just thankful to not be like that anymore!
    Lastly, my friends say that I look healthier (bonier, one friend said, even though Im not) and that my face looks thinner!

^^^^ Amen to all of that!

I don't gain weight. I eat absolutely everything I want, and I don't gain weight - for me, it's amazing since I've dieted my whole life. I love food, and it loves me!

Also, I feel a new comraderie with wildlife. No-one is a "pest" and I see new and great value in all kinds of life.
    Everyone needs a little mercy.

youre lucky poppyseed LOL. i wish i could eat everything i wanted and not gain weight.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Talking Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Quote lauradawn
    [COLOR=darkslateblue][B]I am loving being vegan! I have a new appreciation (more like obsession) for cooking. I'm addicted to vegan cookbooks!
    I found this also. Going to the supermarket became a whole new adventure. Food became like a whole new discovery, it was as if it hadn't existed before!!
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

So true~ I have completely restocked my entire kitchen and have no more room for new ingredients that I continue to discover. My fiance says that he loves my cooking and that I make vegan food taste really good! Not that it is that difficult, but all the new recipes are so fun and interesting. I'm just glad that he isn't missing meat that much! Maybe he'll convert???
    So, what else? My skin became more clear and I just feel that I have a new healthy glow, which may just be happiness? I just made scrambled tofu, breakfast veggie chorizo, banana/zucchini/choc chip bread, eggplant rollatinis, and date wrapped apple slices ("caramel apples") for my Moms Mothers day brunch, and everyone was really impressed. Especially my Grandma~ she said everything was so gourmet (but really it was just simple delicious ingredients put together without eggs, butter, and pork). Then I made a whole wheat pizza with zucchini, veggie sausage (homemade), onions, mushrooms, and tofu ricotta for an early dinner and my family loved it. I love being able to share great healthy non-animal food with people I love. I also convinced my sister to read the Skinny Bitch book, which is an amusing introduction for her. She was hooked! That is very satisfying as well!
    That's all for now- have a great mothers day!

Lauradawn, I found this list of ingredients for Beano. It seems the tablets contain fish-derived gelatin.

• SO much more energy. No, really. It's quite unbelievable!
    • Attention span & concentration improved (and thusly, better grades )
    • Food addictions and strong cravings diminished
    • My stomach is flat now! I never knew what was wrong with my stomach, and why it was swollen and heavy-feeling all the time. Then I went vegan and it's actually flat and... normal-looking, even after I've eaten.
    • To be honest, I'm just happier.
    • Oh, and my nails are awesome all of a sudden. They used to peel and flake off in layers, now they are really hard and smooth, yay.

I feel so much more articulate. I have a whole new dialogue in my life and it has unblocked me creatively, spiritually, socially. I love to write. I kept a daily journal all through college but haven't written consistently since.

I've been doing so much research and reading lately, it has also helped my articulation, writing, etc. (I've heard those skills are very connected - when you slack on one it affects the other).
    --
    Edgar Cayce

Hey Roxy~ Thank you for the Beano ingredient list. I didn't think to look, because they are little white pills. I didn't think that gelatin would be in there. Obviously gelcaps have gelatin, but I didn't think that these innocent looking tabs would. I'm sad. I feel yucky. Any suggestions? I know that I can find info in another thread, so I will search around. Thank you so much!!!!!!
    Laura

laura, if you slowly ease onto eating legumes you shouldnt need beano or products of the like.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Thumbs up Re: What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

After only four weeks (yes, I'm really a newbie), I haven't noticed anything earth-shaking yet, but here are some definite changes I've noticed:

1. I've quit gaining weight though eating "ad-libitum" (as much as I want). This is definitely a first for me when not dieting.

2. My cravings (resulting from blood-sugar swings--pre-diabetic) have all but disappeared. This is amazing.

3. A feeling of peace and contentment knowing I'm being proactive in preventing disease in myself and not harming animals. This is subtle but definite.

4. A passion in reading books about it, trying new foods, shopping in new stores, and looking at many recipes.

years ago I had liquid beano on hand for guests. believe that's vegan

...unexpected effect on my daughter: she never stinks like other kids and only bathes when she feels like it
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

The liquid Beano in our house has fish in it.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

!!!!!!bluh!!!!!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

i've lost an incredible amount of weight over the years, being vegan. starting at 215 lbs. and going down to 173 lbs.

i'm a drummer at 48 years old, and i have been told i look like i'm in my mid 20's. plus i have a lot more energy to play the drums!

i think the yoga helps too...

Limey

Quote Roxy
    Lauradawn, I found this list of ingredients for Beano. It seems the tablets contain fish-derived gelatin.
    Crud! I live on Beano and yes, because they are not in gelcaps, I didn't think to look up the ingredients. What the heck am I going to do?! Blah. It's like trying to find women's vegan shoes that are size 11-12 wide. Absolute pain in the a$$!

I swear, the food is the easiest part to being vegan. I'm having more trouble with the rest of it. Grrr.

On a happier note, I feel better. That's all so far because I am in the very new and beginning stages.

After a month and a half,

-stronger nails
    -clearer skin
    -I find I'm less inclined to snack between meals and eating healthier food
    "Everybody has a heart. Except some people." -Bette Davis

-deepening my Buddhist practice immensely
    -keeping me a lean, mean veggie-chompin' machine
    -look like i'm 22 instead of 32
    -cholesterol readings in the basement even though high choloesterol runs in my family

But most of all... I found out last summer that I have a genetic disease of the immune system called CVID. My body is making almost zero immunoglobulin and no antibodies. My immunologist is amazed - he says the only time he's seen numbers as bad as mine were on people who were fighting for their life against runaway infections in the ICU. He can't understand why I haven't been sick. I think it has something to do with my diet (as well as my meditation practice, but that's another topic).
    For innumerable reasons, the Bodhisattva, whose nature is compassion, is not to eat any meat. -- The Buddha, Lankavatara Sutra

-i feel a lot healthier, and my allergies are almost gone (compared to how they used to be)..
    -i now love to cook - i didn't like it when i was a omni (maybe it was because i was 11?)
    -i feel good about myself when i look in the mirror - i live cruelty-free!
    -my weight has balanced itself, it doesn't change by 20 pounds every month..
    -i generally just love being a vegan!

princessemma

My weight is staying consistant I eat what I want (within reason )
    and it stays pretty much the same no calorie counting.

Vegan Esquire

I agree with lauradawn - I just love being vegan! Even after 9 years I am still excited by all the food choices and I have a ridiculous collection of cookbooks, which I just sit down and read all the time. I have so much fun cooking and trying out new things. When I first became vegetarian as a high-schooler i figured I would be doomed to salads for all eternity. Of course I know I couldn't have been more wrong!

This is sort a a mixed and silly effect:
    My fiance and I both drink out of our respective milk bottles right in front of each other! It's like, who knew we would grow up and be able to do that without reprimand? Hehehehehe.

I feel so much more assertive and confident.
    My allergies are definately declining.
    I don't feel as apathetic and heavy all the time.

(and thats after only 3 months of being vegan!!)
    All the bad magic she ever dared to imagine.