Thread: Very Low Cholesterol

Dreamer

Default Very Low Cholesterol

i had my cholesterol level checked a few months ago. my doctor said she was pleased with the results and that my levels were very good. i then went on the web to compare my levels and found them to be so low that most sites wouldnt even accept the range level.

Total Cholesterol: 110
    HDL: 52
    LDL: 51
    Ratio: 1:1

i take no cholesterol lowering medication.

here are my meals for the past few years (i wasnt a full vegan back then):

raw oatmeal and peanuts mixed together
    barley/lentils together with canola oil
    white rice with canola oil and powdered skim milk mixed in
    frozen vegetables
    fish and eggs sometimes
    chicken once a month
    no red meat or fruits

so there's the info. i had a variety of tests done because of my eating disorder and all the results came back normal, some low, but still within the range.

i hear malnutrition, liver disease and cancer can be indicators of a very low cholesterol levels. and i also hear that people with high levels actually live longer then those with low levels. reference

anyways, i just thought i'd put that out there for someone to comment on.

Default Re: Very Low Cholesterol

Provided you are healthy, lower cholesterol levels are healthier. The reference you give has the results it has because the low cholesterol was an indicator of poor health. If you have the low cholesterol because of superior diet and fitness, you are good!

Best,
    Josh

Dreamer

Quote Josh
    If you have the low cholesterol because of superior diet and fitness, you are good!
    i sure hope so. i may ask my doctor for a liver checkup just to be sure.

thanks for the reply

I was at a health fair on campus last spring and they had free cholestorol checking. The machines they had didn't register anything below a total cholestorol of 100. Mine didn't register! I asked if it was bad that mine was so low and the nurse said it was great.

Dreamer

doctors generally do think its great, but sometimes they just think 'the lower the better.' like the time my eating disorder was out of control and my resting heart rate sunk to 28 bpm. i had constant chest pain and my jaws and arms were numb. i ended up going to the hospital and the doctors said i was in great health. i guess they dont look at things like the fact it took almost all my energy to go up a set of stairs because i was so weak. or that i was often hypothermic for months on end. and yet they still say "YOUR HEATHLY!" i dont believe it. i think there is a happy medium and under 150 is TOO LOW!

Dreamer,

I understand why you would think there is a happy medium in cholesterol because of your situation. But, I assure you the studies are fairly unanimous that provided you are healthy, the lower the cholesterol the better -- and that it should be under 150. In fact, in the Framingham Heart Study, the most prestigious and enduing heart study in existence, found that not one person in the study who had a total cholesterol of under 150 had a heart attack.

It is also healthy to be skinny and fit rather than being overweight. But obviously if someone is anorexic or bulemic, that is not healthy. Same here, it is healthy to have lower cholesterol, but there are unhealthy conditions that can make you have low cholesterol (and this would then be a result of the unhealthy condition).

Best,
    Josh

LittleNellColumbia

nervine

Do you eat fruit now?

Dreamer

Quote Josh
    I understand why you would think there is a happy medium in cholesterol because of your situation. But, I assure you the studies are fairly unanimous that provided you are healthy, the lower the cholesterol the better -- and that it should be under 150. In fact, in the Framingham Heart Study, the most prestigious and enduing heart study in existence, found that not one person in the study who had a total cholesterol of under 150 had a heart attack.
    Well, my worrying all started when i searched the web for info on it, so what did i expect to see! I guess there will be some saying it's good and others saying it's not, but I agree with you, because I've got the tests to prove i'm okay.

Thanks

Quote LittleNellColumbia
    do you want to believe you are sick? Maybe they are right, and you are feeling this way for anouther reason un-related to your actual health.
    I think part of my illness is that sometimes i wanna be ill. I know that sounds very mentally unwell, but i often just dont like this existence as a whole. But no, I think i'm okay physically.

Quote nervine
    Do you eat fruit now?
    No. And that's because each time i try to eat it my face starts to itch and i get a slight breakout of acne. I've tried apples, bananas, pears, cantalope, grapes several times and each time the same result. This is part of the reason why i have an eating disorder. So many of the foods i eat cause problems. It seems that Nuts, Seeds, Grains, Legumes, oils, and most vegetables are fine with me, so i stick with them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel appreciated that you took the time. I hadnt expected such a response. And sorry i didnt reply sooner. Sometimes i get in a mood where i just dont feel like posting.

Default Is no cholesterol bad?

Hi
    I'm a 27 year old male who very recently (jan 1st) went from a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet to a completely animal product free diet.
    Being new to the game, i've been doing lots of research on what benefits and possible disadvantages veganism can bring to my health.
    One of the few subjects i've been unable to get a clear answer on is cholesterol.
    I'm aware that the body makes cholesterol naturally, but have had a hard time finding out if this ammount is actually sufficient for optimal health.
    Healthy cholesterol levels seem to be responsible for everything from disease prevention to proper fat metabolization to cell health, vitamin synthesis, and so on.
    Seeing as how it's incredibly unlikely that i'll be consuming any cholesterol whatsoever, should i consider looking into a plant-derived cholesteroy supplement? Does anyone have access to any medical info on whether or not the body's own supply of cholesterol is enough to maintain optimal health?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Is no cholesterol bad?

That's not actually true... while not nearly as prevalent and in relatively low levels, cholesterol can be found in many plant varieties as can be seen in articles such as this one... but i haven't been able to find any reference of a cholesterol supplement, so it's likely that the body makes enough to do what it needs to.
    You mentioned peanutbutter, etc; are there any foods recommended for healthy cholesterol maintenence? Is this something i should not even worry about?
    My concern comes from the fact that the only mention made of cholesterol issues in the general media is when it's too high; what are the potentials of a health impact when it's "too low"?
    I wonder if there's even such a thing...

thanks for your response! sorry if i'm overreacting-- i'm looking to have a complete understainding of exactly how my new food consumption will affect my body.

Here's the wikipedia article on cholesterol

If you look at the regulation section, you'll see that the body produces cholesterol in response to the amount already present, so if you don't get enough your body will compensate. Plant foods aren't completely devoid of cholesterol, but they don't contain dangerously high quantities like some animal foods. I wouldn't worry about not getting enough

(I did biology at uni and have an 'alright' understanding of these things but am no expert. You could always go and get your cholesterol levels checked out if you're that worried. )

Good sperm

Your body will be fine, you seem to be equating veganism with an unnatural diet for your body which simply isn't true. Seeing as veganism doesn't cause you loads of health problems and early death, and a vegetarian/omni diet does, I'd say a vegan diet suits us just fine
    Your body will find its natural healthy balance if you eat a balanced vegan diet.
    Bit of info here

Awesome, thanks guys! Very insightful stuff... yet another potential concern crossed off the list.

Although I've not consumed any animal products for yonks, but I have inherited a cholesterol problem - high. For a while I took lipitor, but then stopped when I found that there was a 'cholesterol balance' tablet, comprising Jerusalem Artichokes. The doc told me that my level will undoubtedly have shot up when having a blood test after 6 months on the balance tablet, but he was wrong, my cholesterol is a healthy level.

I know that we produce cholesterol in our bodies, but don't forget that we are all different. What's good for one may not be good for others.
    Eve

VegProf

Quote sp00ki View Post
    T
    My concern comes from the fact that the only mention made of cholesterol issues in the general media is when it's too high; what are the potentials of a health impact when it's "too low"?
    I wonder if there's even such a thing...
    I think there is such a thing. After a year of dealing with hormonal problems (acne, hair loss, oily skin, severe PMS, etc.), my doctor FINALLY discovered the cause of the hormonal imbalance- My cholesterol was too low at 124 total. My HDL level was in the 30s, but everything else was okay. Cholesterol is a building block of hormones, apparently. So, after a year of taking medication that didn't work, I added a flax supplement, started eating an avocado a day, and started eating a handful of walnuts a day (I used to eat a pretty low-fat vegan diet)... I haven't had any acne in a month, my hair is growing in, I haven't had cramps or other PMS symptoms, etc. And, ironically, I've also lost a few pounds. I guess my body needed some fat. It all seems too good to be true, though...

Has anyone else had experience with the link between cholesterol and hormones?

Russ

Quote eve View Post
    I know that we produce cholesterol in our bodies, but don't forget that we are all different. What's good for one may not be good for others.

Dinosaur Comics rock.

VegProf, you're right that hormones are made from cholesterol precursors.
    Cholesterol is necessary and most bodies do not require ingestion. Its really rare to have a deficiency of cholesterol because the body makes it, but its possible. Saturated fats will help to raise cholesterol levels.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Veg Prof - I have really crappy skin and always have had. I doubt very much I have low cholesterol but it is the only thing I haven't looked into yet.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

If you guys are right that plants have cholesterol, then
    http://www.vegfamily.com/dietician/0904a.htm
    is wrong. A vegan dietician wrong? That's pretty scary. You'd think they could at least get it right for the animals. And I found on a website completely devoted to vegan health and science the statement that a plant-based diet contains no cholesterol.

Why are they lying to me?!?!
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote Sarabi View Post
    If you guys are right that plants have cholesterol,
    Who said that?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Prawnil

Post Re: Is no cholesterol bad?

Quote Sarabi View Post
    A vegan dietician wrong?
    Mmm. I get the impression that the "cholesterol" that the dietician is referring to as being manufactured in liver might not be cholesterol, but LDL, which contains cholesterol.
    All animal, plant and fungus cell membranes are studded with sterols - unlike animals and fungi, plants contain a whole load - and one among them is cholesterol.
    eg.
    Quote Hartmann M, 1998. "Plant sterols and the membrane environment". Trends in Plant Science
    Cholesterol, the major sterol in mammals, is also found in plants. It generally accounts for a few percent of the sterol mixture of most plants, but some families (e.g. Solanaceae) contain higher amounts. In the early stages of apical development of Brassica campestris or in the epicuticular waxes of rape leaves, this sterol represents around 70% of total sterols.
    Quote Canabate-Diaz et al., 2007. "Separation and determination of sterols in olive oil by HPLC-MS". Food Chemistry
    mg sterol/ kg oil: (Cholesterol) Virgin olive oil - 2.0; Refined olive oil - 2.0; Olive-pomace oil - 2.6; Crude olive-pomace oil - 2.9
    [very roughly 0.025% total sterols]
    Why are they lying to me?!?!
    Probably more like approximating, since the proportions are so tiny.

Quote Sarabi View Post
    If you guys are right that plants have cholesterol
    I still don't know who you are referring to here Sarabi? By 'you guys' do you mean us on the vegan forum or the dietician?

Anyway, the cholesterol in plants is negligible compared to animal cholesterol. We do need cholesterol but our bodies make what we need, we do not need to add to it with our diets.

From my own experience I found that after 1 year of eating a vegan diet my cholesterol dropped from 5.7 to 3.8.
    So, obviously whatever levels of cholesterol there may or may not be in plants it is not such that it increases body cholesterol.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Yeah, Mine dropped from 5.9 (just heading out of the healthy range -too high for someone of my age) to 3.5 (bottom of normal range). I'm pretty sure that if you eat enough fat, ideally poly and mono unsaturates, your body will make enough cholesterol. It sounds like that is what Veg Prof did - upped her fat intake rather than her cholesterol intake, and her body took care of the rest.
    There are probably obscure inherited diseases where the body doesn't make cholesterol well and has to take it in (I don't know of any; its just there seems to be an obscure inherited disease that is the exception to any rule).
    I have a scientific background, but without any expertise in this area - Russ and Prawnil sound better informed than me

Bump.

Lads and lasses, I need to get a grip on something. Our family (or, should I say, the members who have had tests) has hereditarily high cholesterol levels. My eldest sister's was around 7 but now she takes statins and it's down to about 3.5.

Mine, four years ago, was around 6.1, then two years ago was 5.2 after making serious efforts to make sure any fat was taken in moderation. This week, it's now 5.6 (LDL 3.9).

I'm not sure why it would go up; we eat a low-fat vegan diet and plenty of fruit. Would levels fluctuate rapidly or is this a long-term thing?

Should I even worry, seeing as it's familial? I had an angiogram two years ago and my arteries are 100%.

What's the latest thinking on cholesterol?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Hey David. There's hereditary high cholesterol in my family as well, my dad has had it really bad for the last twenty or so years.

Quote DavidT View Post
    Would levels fluctuate rapidly
    Based on my experience from watching my father, levels can fluctuate relatively rapidly in a short period of time. He goes for regular checks and sometimes it just seems to spike on him. This is only based on my observations of him and not any medical knowledge of mine, I hasten to add!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    VegProf, you're right that hormones are made from cholesterol precursors.
    Cholesterol is necessary and most bodies do not require ingestion. Its really rare to have a deficiency of cholesterol because the body makes it, but its possible. Saturated fats will help to raise cholesterol levels.
    I wrote that in May 08 and found out I had hypcholesterolemia in Feb 09. Weird! We're not sure why, but they don't seem overly concerned.

cobweb

^ what does that mean, ella, that you don't have enough?
    my husband has been stuck on statins now because his cholestorol level is so high, and yet he eats pretty much all vegan stuff. The doctor reckons that what you eat isn't all that important really, it doesn't make much difference - unless you eat tons of deep fried/fatty foods.

cobweb

Quote DavidT View Post
    Lads and lasses, I need to get a grip on something. Our family (or, should I say, the members who have had tests) has hereditarily high cholesterol levels. My eldest sister's was around 7 but now she takes statins and it's down to about 3.5.
    My hubby's was over 7 and he's been prescribed statins now aswell.

Yeah, basically I didn't have enough cholesterol when they took a blood test. My guess is that it's due to my diet, heredity, and medications. The meds for fibromyalgia tend to cause a raise in cholesterol, so maybe that 'risk'/ side effect might actually help someone haha

Alrighty... I guess to summarize: Don't worry about not getting enough cholesterol. The body does indeed produce it, and only rarely does the body have an issue with not producing enough - it DOES happen but it is rare!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDL_cho..._and_lifestyle For more info!

Cardio also helps raise HDL (the good kind of cholesterol...!)

Apparently avocados do not have cholesterol per se, but the properties of the avocado encourage higher levels of HDL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado#Nutritional_value

For sure genetics play a HUGE role on LDL levels, but, I think it's a crock to say your diet doesn't affect your cholesterol levels. Of course it does - perhaps, however, not in the way people think. Foods can help increase and decrease good/bad cholesterol - so while not particularly containing high levels of either, they can still have beneficial or negative effects when included in the diet.
    Jasmin

Apparently, high GL (glycaemic load) foods have an effect on cholesterol levels and properties, potatoes being one of the worst culprits. I love me spuds and I have high-ish, genetically-affected cholesterol and I love me spuds!

Luckily, other high GL foods don't interest me (most refined foods).

I'm going to try to cut back on spuds for a year and then get tested again.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

David, don't take my word for it but when I researched this for my own cholesterol-watching purposes I came to the conclusion that it's probably the glycaemic load of the whole meal that's most important, rather than individual foods. So combining your spuds with foods that have a lower glycaemic index such as (selected) vegetables and pulses might be a way to still have them (in moderation obviously). Wouldn't like to think of you pining

Yes, that idea did cross my mind; I hope it's the case as potatoes are a staple here. We make sure we have pasta once a week and rice once a week as part of main meals, sometimes couscous. But I'm addicted to spuds! I feel I've missed something the day after the pasta or rice dish....

I am making a serious attempt to at least reduce the quantity if not the frequency...if my reading goes down (assuming I keep up the reduction) I'll let you know.

Good luck. Mine went down at the time of my campaign but it's probably gone up again now - should get it checked really.

When it came to carbs I just sort of altered the ratio so instead of pasta with vegetables I had vegetables with pasta, and the same with potatoes. Then there are supposed to be these foods with mystic cholesterol lowering properties - aubergines and shitake mushrooms might have been on the list? Not sure how helpful those are really.

Keane

I'm no medical expert but I have been told by my GP that you need 'good' HDL cholesterol to absorb nutrients. He advised me to look this up on the net. as both my 'good' and 'bad' cholesterol levels are low, though the ratio of the two is fine. He said that my cholesterol levels are at 'Japanese' rather than 'Western' levels so I'm guessing that this is a symptom of having been a vegan for twenty-odd years, albeit one who still indulges in junk food: biscuits, chocolate, tortilla chips etc a bit more than I ought to. I need to find sources of HDL cholesterol and junk food obviously isn't.

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cho...a/raiseHDL.htm

Quote VegProf View Post
    I think there is such a thing. After a year of dealing with hormonal problems (acne, hair loss, oily skin, severe PMS, etc.), my doctor FINALLY discovered the cause of the hormonal imbalance- My cholesterol was too low at 124 total. My HDL level was in the 30s, but everything else was okay. Cholesterol is a building block of hormones, apparently. So, after a year of taking medication that didn't work, I added a flax supplement, started eating an avocado a day, and started eating a handful of walnuts a day (I used to eat a pretty low-fat vegan diet)... I haven't had any acne in a month, my hair is growing in, I haven't had cramps or other PMS symptoms, etc. And, ironically, I've also lost a few pounds. I guess my body needed some fat. It all seems too good to be true, though...

Has anyone else had experience with the link between cholesterol and hormones?
    I haven't but this is something I have heard of, this Kevin Gianni guy who is into raw foods http://renegadehealth.com/blog/ just started to eat some goat cheese and such, his levels were so low that he got hormonal problems. But I think the main reason for that was his long time raw food low fat diet. It seems as long as we get some healthy fats there should not be a problem with getting too low on cholesterol. There are vegan supplements for this if needed.

Tricky stuff these fats, lets hope that there will be more research done on this and what to do about it.

Default Need help raising cholesterol

Hey guys, my name is Nicholas and I'm from Portland, OR. I've been vegan for almost a year and a half, vegetarian for about 2 years before that. I apologize in advance if it's against forum code to not introduce myself in the hello subforum first, but I didn't want to start my own thread just to introduce myself. I also apologize if this question has been asked before, but I searched for "cholesterol" on the forum and didn't see any similar threads.

Here is my problem. My naturopath and I looked over my blood test results yesterday and my cholesterol is the lowest he has ever seen - to the point that it is unhealthy. To illustrate the severity, he told me that he would recommend 6 eggs a day to someone who eats animal products, but he respected that I don't and came up with a different approach. He recommended that I consume at least 2 tbs of coconut oil a day and as much flaxseed, sesame, and olive oils as I can manage too, within reason. He says my body might turn some of it into cholesterol.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of problem? Any success taking care of it and keeping your cholesterol at a healthy level? What were your methods? TIA
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 4th, 2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Hello Nicholas,

what were your exact figures?

I certainly would NOT start eating eggs, simply because your naturopath is probably normally treating meat-eaters with high cholesterol levels and has never seen anybody with low cholesterol levels.

Consider that what is considered "unhealthy" in the US might be considered healthy in other parts of the world that are not as obese. I would definitely get a second opinion here and look at some other websites. Of course, that depends on what your levels and your body mass index really are - if you have very low cholesterol levels AND a very low body mass index, you might not be getting enough calories. If you share some more information, people with experience might be able to help you better.

Best regards,
    Andy

AlexS

Default Re: Need help raising cholesterol

Quote watership View Post
    Hey guys, my name is Nicholas and I'm from Portland, OR. I've been vegan for almost a year and a half, vegetarian for about 2 years before that. I apologize in advance if it's against forum code to not introduce myself in the hello subforum first, but I didn't want to start my own thread just to introduce myself. I also apologize if this question has been asked before, but I searched for "cholesterol" on the forum and didn't see any similar threads. Here is my problem. My naturopath and I looked over my blood test results yesterday and my cholesterol is the lowest he has ever seen - to the point that it is unhealthy. To illustrate the severity, he told me that he would recommend 6 eggs a day to someone who eats animal products, but he respected that I don't and came up with a different approach. He recommended that I consume at least 2 tbs of coconut oil a day and as much flaxseed, sesame, and olive oils as I can manage too, within reason. He says my body might turn some of it into cholesterol. Has anyone had experience with this kind of problem? Any success taking care of it and keeping your cholesterol at a healthy level? What were your methods? TIA
    Nicholas,

I've been almost vegan for 1 1/2 years and I consume 2 tablespoons of flax oil and 1 tablespoon of Olive oil each day. The trouble is that my cholesterol is low low low. I wonder if any one else has such low cholesterol? I've had it this way for a year. I read the study in Japan showing low cholesterol and stroke risk and worry somewhat. Are there other people out ther with such low cholesterol?

Total: 81 mg/dl = 2.09466 mmol/l
    LDL: 31 mg/dl = 0.80166 mmol/l
    HDL: 37 mg/dl = 0.95682 mmol/l

Thansks,

Alex

Our body synthesizes the cholesterol we need from fats yes?
    Flax seed provides omega-3 yes?
    What about EPA DHA could this have something to do with it?
    Deva supply a Omega-3 sup with DHA and EPA vegan friendly.

Namaste

Default Re: Need help raising cholesterol

Quote AlexS View Post
    Nicholas,

I've been almost vegan for 1 1/2 years and I consume 2 tablespoons of flax oil and 1 tablespoon of Olive oil each day. The trouble is that my cholesterol is low low low. I wonder if any one else has such low cholesterol? I've had it this way for a year. I read the study in Japan showing low cholesterol and stroke risk and worry somewhat. Are there other people out ther with such low cholesterol?

Total: 81 mg/dl = 2.09466 mmol/l
    LDL: 31 mg/dl = 0.80166 mmol/l
    HDL: 37 mg/dl = 0.95682 mmol/l

Thansks,

Alex
    Seems like you're starving yourself. No offense. If you're worried about getting a heart attack; don't. Heart disease will never happen on a Vegan diet. What will happen is your heart will stop from not getting enough fuel(Glucose and some fatty acids).

Cholesterol can either be made from Pyruvic Acid(Glucose) or fats.

Try eating something natural like a ripe avocado and/or ripe fruit never hurts with a Vegan diet. Most importantly, don't be afraid to eat.

Quote Consistency View Post
    Seems like you're starving yourself.
    How can you tell?

Quote Consistency View Post
    Heart disease will never happen on a Vegan diet.
    Not an expert on it but I don't think so.