Thread: Attack of the space junk

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

leedsveg

Default Re: Attack of the space junk

No wonder that MrsLv won't allow me to go into space. (She's also forbidden me from climbing Mt Everest.)

Leedsveg

It's worrying that colliding with even a tiny piece of debris can put a satellite out of action (and generate more space crap), according to a report I heard on the radio. Let's hope they can find a way to clear it up - better late than never.

leedsveg

I've been using a Garmin sat-nav running watch for years and it still amazes me that such a small piece of equipment can link up with satellites thousands of miles away, telling you which ones its's using to calculate your position to within about 20 feet anywhere on earth. (If I remember right, the satellites are American, but there was a proposal a few years ago for we Europeans to have our own satellite/GPS system so that we wern't reliant on the Americans.) I imagine that if one satellite gets knocked out, the watch picks up another with the next highest signal strengh.

So much space junk out there that's presumably increasing in volume each successive year and I couldn't imagine what technology will be used to clear the bad stuff, leave the good stuff, without it costing an (-ahem-) astronomical amount.

Leedsveg

I think they're still going ahead with the Euro satnav satellite, although I did also see this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...upid-idea.html

Think they will have to tackle the debris problem however much it costs, won't they? ETA This http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...=SOCNETTXT6966 implies that they could have used the space shuttle if they hadn't junked that!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    I've been using a Garmin sat-nav running watch for years and it still amazes me that such a small piece of equipment can link up with satellites thousands of miles away... [truncated]

Not to nitpick but they don't actually link up with the satellites. They just receive a signal from it.

Not real name!

Dragons Den. Space Hoover. I could make millions if only I had a shed to build it in.

leedsveg

Quote CoolCat View Post
    Not to nitpick but they don't actually link up with the satellites. They just receive a signal from it.[sic]
    Many thanks for your clarification, CoolCat. My apologies for causing concern to anyone who took my comments to mean that my watch was actually able to contact, and perhaps control, American governmental satellites when I go jogging.

Glen Lambert. I dont think a Hoover ie a vacuum cleaner, would work in the vacuum of outer space and for that reason, I can't invest in you. So I'm out.

Leedsveg

Not real name!

But....but....what else would a vacuum cleaner clean if not a vacuum?

leedsveg

^^
    Can't really advise you GL for as previously mentioned, Mrs Lv won't let me go into space. I think she's worried that being in space would cause me to grow an extra and long lasting ear on my forehead. Yes, you've got it:

"Space:the final front ear!"

Leedsveg

(I'll get my coat...)

So what does this mean for our futur(ama)?
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Yes, probably Futurama.

Would be nice to combine 'high tech' with 'non toxic'. At least comparatively non toxic.

I still see plants as high tech in their complexity, though low tech in implementation. Much the design target of many widget producers.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Not real name!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    ^^
    Can't really advise you GL for as previously mentioned, Mrs Lv won't let me go into space. I think she's worried that being in space would cause me to grow an extra and long lasting ear on my forehead. Yes, you've got it:

"Space:the final front ear!"

Leedsveg

(I'll get my coat...)
    I actually groaned out loud.

I suppose an automated scrap bot is on the cards.

Oops, I bumped into your satellite!

I do not doubt there are already little 'craft' drifting between the junk. Not sure how big an ion drive unit is.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.