Thread: Visiting Germany - help needed...

VeganLiz

Default Visiting Germany - help needed...

I am visiting Germany from 30th October - 17th November. I am going to the following locations Frankfurt,Mainz,Rhine Valley,Cologne,Worms,Heidelberg,Munich,Dresden and Berlin....

Any tips on where to stay and eat? I am looking at backpacker places and cheaper end - mid range restaurants

Thanks.....

Liz

Vegan Traveler

Default Re: Visiting Germany - help needed...

Hey I just saw this browsing the web... I don't see Hamburg on your list, but it may be a start!

http://www.veganvolumes.co.uk/guides...rg_germany.htm

For restaurants, try www.happycow.net They have a worldwide list of restaurants. If your in Munich, you might want to try out Zerwirk. I was there in July. Their website is at www.zerwirk.de, but it is in German.

pavotrouge

About the backpacking- I think backpacker places are rare in Germany, try youth hostels or www.hospitalityclub.com instead.

From Cologne, you can take a train to Ratingen- they've got a fab vegetarian/vegan place called "Kostbar" in the city centre.
    Also near Cologne is Düsseldorf where there is an occational vegan dining night at the leftist centre...

There is quite a number of very good Chinese, Indian and Lebanese restaurants in Cologne that cater vegans.

As for Berlin, it seems to me that there is a huge vegan society...check out www.vegan.de - they also have got an English forum.

when i was there we stayed w. a host family and we went to a grocery store one day and they didnt have any nut butters! and my host dad didnt even know what peanut butter was! so if its one of your staples i would suggest bringing a bar or two along
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

pavotrouge

^ ^ yeah right no PB & J in Germany... you can't get it a most regular supermarkets, but in every bigger city there is at least one organic supermarket where they've got a variety of nut butters (peanut and almond at least).

There are also some British/American stores in a few cities.

Default Vegan in Berlin and Munich

Hello,

I am going to both Berlin and Munich each for a few days and I was wondering if you could suggest either vegan restaurants or health food stores. Please!

Care Morgenrot in Berlin is the only suggestion I have so far.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 24th, 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

pavotrouge

Default Re: Vegan in Berlin and Munich

There seems to be a huge vegan community in Berlin... personally, I don't like the city, but ask happycow:
    http://www.happycow.net/europe/germa...lin/index.html
    http://www.happycow.net/europe/germa...ich/index.html

*sigh*... im late! youre already gone lol.... but maybe you'll check in once in a while! theres a lot of vegan restaurant possibilities in munich. directly at the mainstation you can get a vegan kebab and ohhhh its sooo delicious! then theres a restaurant thats supposed to be awesome: ignaz in the georgenstrasse. i have never been there myself but friends told me about it. thruout germany you'll find many reformhouses and they have good choices of vegan stuff. look out for the brand 'tartex' its my favorite! maybe you'd like that, too! usually the bakeries have lists of ingredience... if you feel like having 'laugen'stuff...e.g. brezels, they usually dont have any milk, butter or eggs in em, but id ask anyways, just to make sure! the breadrolls vary... but i have almost always had good experience in asking the ladies behind the counter about the ingredience...

@pavotrouge:quote:

(...)... personally, I don't like the city (...)

me neither! i've lived there for 3 years and i hated it! to be fair though, visiting is different, cuz the city does have a lot to offer for tourists!

where do you live, if you dont mind me asking?

V-nee chee
    dude, you shoulda seen the other cat

PS:

heres another little tip: in berlin and munich both, (where the jewish influence is stronger) you can find a few jewish grocery stores. very close to the kurfuerstendamm in berlin for example. many products from israel (kosher stuff) is vegan as well...
    dude, you shoulda seen the other cat

Berlin is a great city for vegetarians and vegans. If all else fails you can usually find a falafel place...there are several up around Oranienburgerstrasse. Also, I would highly recommend Yellow Sunshine...if I remember right it is over in Kruezburg, but you can walk there from the U-bahn. While you're over there you can stop at the hanf-haus (hemp store).

I just found out I'm going to Friedrichshafen the first week in November...theh usualy links (happycow, vrg, ivu, etc.) don't seem to have anything there. Does anybody have any suggestions or am I subject to picking up groceries at the nearest bio-market I can find?

pavotrouge

I guess Friedrichshafen is waaay to small and too far up north for any vegan places...

In a pinch, get thee to the nearest falafel joint (kebab shop). I got a longer holiday because of falafel.

The organic (bio) supermarkets in Germany have everything you need. They have some fabulous sesame seed/paprika spread which I have been unable to reproduce here.

Label reading can be a problem. It's often not in English so watch out even for the lentil soup in supermarkets.

pavotrouge

oooops, I meant south, of course.
    At least I found they have bio shops (not usual for town of that size!):
    http://www.rapunzel.de/print.php?pli...riedrichshafen

Windfall

Go to the nearest PLUS supermarket and buy tons of "Mon Cherie" choclates...man, they are good..gah!

pavotrouge

Lol

Windfall

not funny pavotrouge, im addicted to them now! LOL

pavotrouge

I hate them. I have these visions of drunken obese elderly ladies trying to feed me mon cherie...

Windfall

thats hilarious!!

Awesome...thanks for the link pavotrouge. I survived in Frankfurt from mostly Bio markets...and I agree that they usually have enough to survive.

Never heard of those chocolates...I'll have to look them up. I've already addicted my family to the Chocoreal bio chocolate spread...AMAZING with pancakes. I bought one jar back in August...and I think I'm going to have to cart half a dozen or so back next week!

Rob

pavotrouge

aaaaaaaah the goodness that is chocoreale... have you tried the praliné one? it's more expensive, but defo the best.

Praline? I'll have to remember that one next week, I can't imagine anything being much better then the chocolate spread I picked up last time...thanks for the tip!

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    As for Berlin, it seems to me that there is a huge vegan society...check out www.vegan.de - they also have got an English forum.
    Can I second this suggestion. When I went to The Netherlands once, I posted on a Dutch vegetarian forum. I couldn't read the forum names or posts, and posted in English. A moderator kindly moved my post to the correct forum, and I got a number of replies in English, which made my stay in Rotterdam a doddle. Rotterdam has a shop that puts the London Planet Organics to shame. But returning to the topic, you can't beat up to date local knowledge.

pavotrouge

I can't believe I ever suggested vegan.de O_O Oh well, guess it's ok for the really desperate.

OK...here we go. Pavotrouge, your links to the bio-markets in Friedrichshafen saved me...really not a vegetarian friendly city at all. I barely survived until Friday night when I escaped to Zurich to a place called Hiltl...REALLY GOOD. Not all vegan, and quite expensive, but very very tasty. Also, any guys on the board, you would love it...at least 5-1 ratio

I did pick up some Praline Chocoreale, but could only find one jar (couldn't find the dark chocolate at all). Apparently it is viewed as a liquid too...they made me check my bag :-(

Dead tired and waiting for my connection to Boston..

pavotrouge

(((HUGS))) ... I hope you had some fun in a non-food way at least.
    As I said, outside Berlin, Munich and when you're not into the punk/straight edge scene, this isn't such a great country for being vegan.