Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprouting

Default Re: Sprouting

YUMMY! I ate them on a baked tofu sandwich with mustard, avocado, and mayo last night...very good.

that sounds delish!
    Peace Love Surf.

Question Seeds for sprouting

Hello! i am looking to buy different seeds for sprouting.
    If you can tell me places to buy, I'll appreciate it.
    Thanks, Julka

cvC

Default Re: Seeds for sprouting

I just bought jar lids for sprouting, and tomorrow or Saturday I will buy a couple jars. I'm excited to try sprouting. I never really thought it would be fun, but I bought some canned sprouts for a stir-fry, which were good except for that metalic canned taste. I saw the lids at the store and got excited. I am wondering if the protein content in the sprouts is more digestable or if it somehow increases in protein as it grows? This is a strange question, but do, say, sunflow seed spouts have the same nutritional profile as the seeds that you spout?

Last time I tried sprouting the cats kept eating them. Maybe if I got one of those jar things??? I am craving fresh crisp cheap veggies.....

I'm addicted to sprouting of all kinds. I made sprouted wheat/quinoa crackers last night. I even dehydrated it on a rack above my woodstove....went to bed and it was done the next morning. AWESOME!!!!!!

i got a 3-tiered biosnacky sprouter for christmas and my first batch are ready for eating today! i used the mild aromatic mix, smells leeky and peppery.
    going to buy some smoked tofu with almonds and sesame seeds and make nice sarnie for lunch with some mayo and toms. mmmmm.

now the first batch is ok, i will use the whole three tiers with different seeds

Quote cedarblue
    i got a 3-tiered biosnacky sprouter for christmas
    ditto

Mine's still sitting there on the shelf thou
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

YAY!!! I bought one for my ex for Christmas - he uses his a lot - they're lovely. He grows organic ones - I like the alfalfa best I think....

Quote veggiegirl3
    do, say, sunflow seed spouts have the same nutritional profile as the seeds that you spout?
    I have read in the past that the sprouted seeds are more "digestible" which might imply that you could absorb a higher proportion of the nutrients, but I have just also read a couple of things implying that the level of protein and some other nutrients increases when the seeds sprout. Not sure how true this is but...

http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch511.html
    http://www.landofvos.com/articles/wbsprouts.html

Jane M, it's interesting that your cats are so keen on the sprouts. Mine eat them when I put them in their dish, but I haven't found them helping themselves (yet)

Quote Mr Flibble
    ditto

Mine's still sitting there on the shelf thou

have a go mr flib!

i was a bit daunted ( same sort of feeling i get about making polenta for some strange reason ) before i started but its so easy, you've just got to remember to rinse them morning and night.

just wash the equipment, leave it wet, sprinkle maybe one layer to start so its not so threatening, rinse and put in a place thts not to light but not complete shade. i put mine on top of the fridge/freezer. perfect place.

Tiggerwoo

Quote cedarblue
    i got a 3-tiered biosnacky sprouter for christmas and my first batch are ready for eating today! i used the mild aromatic mix, smells leeky and peppery.
    How did you get yours to work, mine grew fluff within a day or so! I have just resorted to buying mine from the health food store ready sprouted!

Are you sure the fluff was mould and not just the little whiskers on the roots? If it was mould, maybe you're not rinsing them enough? They need a good rinse under the tap twice a day.

I'm useless at both gardening and cooking but I don't find sprouting too hard. The only time I've had trouble is in very warm weather when I've found they are apt to go off between rinses.

Default Re: Seeds for sprouting

Quote Julka
    Hello! i am looking to buy different seeds for sprouting.
    If you can tell me places to buy, I'll appreciate it.
    Thanks, Julka
    Buy them where you buy your wholefoods. You don't need special seeds for sprouting, the normal kind used for cooking work fine and are much, much cheaper.
    Sprout *whole* brown, green or puy lentils, aduki beans, chick peas, mung beans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, as long as they are whole and fresh they will sprout. CC says don't try soya beans, also don't sprout kidney beans, they are also toxic raw.
    If you can find some mustard seeds, you can try a different method to the one the other people describe. Find an old margarine container or similar, line the bottom with kitchen roll and soak it in water, then drain the water off.
    Next sprinkle the mustard seeds so they cover the paper. Leave it overnight and the next day add a little water, just enough to lightly moisten the paper. After a week or so of watering you will have a box of fresh green sprouts. You can tgen snip the tops off to use in sandwiches. You can do this with broccoli and cress too if you can obtain the seeds.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default Re: fear of sprouting

Quote Seaside
    One of my sprouting books discusses some controversy about whether alfalfa sprouts are good for you, whether you buy them or sprout them yourself.
    Yes, I have read this too.
    It is because they are supposed to have an effect on the immune system which is harmful to people with auto immune disorders, lupus in particular. I avoid them but I don't know whether it is true.
    I googled "Alfalfa and autoimmune disorders studies" and came back with a whole load of stuff, should you care to follow it up.

Quote Tiggerwoo
    How did you get yours to work, mine grew fluff within a day or so! I have just resorted to buying mine from the health food store ready sprouted!

i agree with harpy - mine have tiny white fluffy fibrous roots on them, almost like very fine cotton wool. if its mould, it will smell mouldy and musty.

ate some today for lunch though in a sandwich with some tofu terrine, mayo, dill pickle and the sprouts in wholegrain bread with added seeds - mmm delish!

sprouted cheezely savory:
    Grow mung bean sprouts until they are about 1 cm length.
    Drain well and allow the water to dry off them naturally.
    Grate cheddar style cheezely (British Vegan cheese brand) until you have approx the same quantity as the sprouts.
    Mix the 2 together with a large amount of Plamil Mayonnaise or your fave brand.
    You can also add chopped spring onions if you have any.

Delicious in sandwiches.

I have special jar for sprouting. I had a bad experience with alfalfa (i ate mouldy ones ) and now i cant touch them but i sprout mung beans and chickpeas all the time. Its so much cheaper than buying them in packets!!

My fav sandwich with sprouted mung beans and chickpeas...

Equal measures of peanut butter and Tofutti cream cheese, blended. spread on wholemeal rolls. Add grated carrot, sprouted mung beans and chickpeas...Ymmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

sprouted cheeze! wow, have to try to grow some tails to that one . sounds nice, herbwormwood .

tried to sprout almonds. they didn't sprout (kept them going ofr three days). so i ate them just like that instead. they were more digestible than in dry state at least. and nice. mmm.

chick peas tend ot go bad, or very few of them manage to sprout before the rest goes bad. the ones that do sprout are very nice though (even if i only manage to get them sprout a teeny little tail). do others get them to sprout alright? tought maybe it could be the brand..

quinoa's great! just made some sprouted sesame tahini - i thought that would make them ultracalcerous, as the calcium gets more bioavailable. taste is rather... nasty, though .. . bitter. don't recommend it to anyone. peas are great, for sprouted peasoup. much better than regular peasoup! alfalfa no good??! i always it lots of it. maybe better be careful with that, then. fenugreek will have to do instead. it's yummy, too.

phew. have been sprouting lots, lately. so much fun!!

catmogg: do you boil the chick peas? and for how long do you sprout them?

I just get ready made bags including chickpeas, mung beans and lentiles...It takes about 4-5 days.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote ukahela
    sprouted cheeze! wow, have to try to grow some tails to that one . sounds nice, herbwormwood .

tried to sprout almonds. they didn't sprout (kept them going ofr three days). so i ate them just like that instead. they were more digestible than in dry state at least. and nice. mmm.
    Almonds can't be sprouted as far as I know they won't grow a sprout. You are doing the right thing, just soak them for 2 or 3 days (or just overnight) and the nutrients will become more available and they will taste delish.
    Most nuts can be soaked in this way, in sprouting parlance they are known as soaks rather than sprouts.

Quote ukahela

chick peas tend ot go bad, or very few of them manage to sprout before the rest goes bad. the ones that do sprout are very nice though (even if i only manage to get them sprout a teeny little tail). do others get them to sprout alright? tought maybe it could be the brand..
    They should not go bad if they are whole and fresh (not stored for too long). Check the sell by date.
    Cover the dry peas (not boiled) with cold water for about 24 hours then drain them.
    Then put them in your sprouter, rinse well twice a day. They can grow a fairly long sprout but are best when it is only about half a cm.

this thread is inspiring me to sprout again. i gave it up when i moved here because my kitchen is 1/3 the size i am used to and i have no basement anymore. i can't buy the variety i can make though. my favorite are red clover sprouts. mmmmmm......they smell just like honey and they're so good on peanut butter sandwiches. i use a few brown glass jars that look exactly like large mason canning jars with plastic mesh lids for draining. they work well for me.

Blix

Default Re: fear of sprouting

Quote Gliondrach
    I've read somewhere, I think in one of those links I gave earlier in this thread, that alfalfa sprouts can be contaminated. I never liked sprouting them as they are too small and get washed away when you rinse them.
    Why don't you line your sieve with a piece of very fine plain net curtain. Your alfalfa sprouts won't escape then.

Default sprouts

i started growing sprouts yesterday, and they look like they're getting there have any of you guys tried it, with luck? and how? i'll get back to you, if mine are turning out good
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 18th, 2006 at 09:54 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar new thread.

Very easy, lentlils are great. Some dried beans were more difficult. You just need a few jars and for gods sake remember to rinse!

I have a 3 tray sprouter and am constantly rotating different sprouts. I think it's essential in the winter months but I sprout all year long. While jars and bags work fine, if you are going to do a lot of sprouting then I would invest in a tray system. I found it to be easiest anyway.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Fionn
    Very easy, lentlils are great. Some dried beans were more difficult. You just need a few jars and for gods sake remember to rinse!
    Dried aduki and mung beans are among the easiest to sprout. Which did you find dificult?
    As for lentils they have to be whole. Split ones won't work. I find lentils easy but the root seems to go brown very quickly even when very short and I find that off putting.

Quote DianeVegan
    I have a 3 tray sprouter and am constantly rotating different sprouts. I think it's essential in the winter months but I sprout all year long. While jars and bags work fine, if you are going to do a lot of sprouting then I would invest in a tray system. I found it to be easiest anyway.
    What kind of sprouter do you have and what do you sprout? I have a 4 tray one but can't get anything but lentils to work in it.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Here is a picture and description of my sprouter. It works great but is not a self-draining system. I sprout lentils and chickpeas from the bulk (organic) section of my store and I also purchase sprouting beans - you name it, I've probably tried it. I somehow always get low yields with broccoli sprouts but everything else turns out well. I usually rinse 3x per day after the first 8-12 hour soak (and I soak in room temperature water).
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

my sprouts turned out really great

I got into sprouting a few months ago and really love to have little plants to take care of! Lol! It's fun, and I found some easy-to-use products after a few trial and errors. I sprout alfalfa and other seeds, but mostly I wanted to grow wheatgrass and barley grass too. I use this now for the grasses - Fresh Life Automatic Sprouter as seen here:

http://www.sproutman.com/freshlife.html

NO mold!! (I used to get lots of mold with my soil based grasses.) After getting sick from mold enough times, I went hydroponic. Perhaps nutritionally, the hydroponic version is slightly inferior, but let me tell you - that mold was not exactly healthy! :P

For sprouting, I use a small plastic (and awesome) one called and Easy Sprouter. (I can't find a picture of it.) It comes with a dome top, and an insert for tiny seeds - like alfalfa - so they do not wash away when rinsing. It's really, really easy to use!
    Call me Candi! :D

Also, add me on your MySpace account! http://www.myspace.com/vegancandi :)

I just started sprouting mung beans myself, I'm doing it in a 2L water bottle that I've cut in half, covering the open lid with cloth so the water can drain out and balancing it in the bottom half to collect the drained out water.

I'm watering them 2 or 3 times a day and they seem to be doing well, I can't decide when to stop growing them and start eating them though.

sprouts have feelings too

Quote Risker
    I'm watering them 2 or 3 times a day and they seem to be doing well, I can't decide when to stop growing them and start eating them though.
    Sprouts are ready at different times depending on the type of seed.

Thumbs up Re: Sprouting

Quote herbwormwood
    Almonds can't be sprouted as far as I know they won't grow a sprout. You are doing the right thing, just soak them for 2 or 3 days (or just overnight) and the nutrients will become more available and they will taste delish.
    Most nuts can be soaked in this way, in sprouting parlance they are known as soaks rather than sprouts.

I know for a fact that almonds sprout!! I live with a group of raw foodist and they are the ones that showed me how. Soak almonds for at least 15-20 hours. Drain at an angle in a jar with a cheese cloth on top. For about 10 or 12 hours. Stick em in the fridge and you'll have sprouts!! Make sure that the almonds are raw and organic <<MuY Importante!!

Love the sprouts column, I'm an avid sprouter. For those that asked what to use them in.>>>EVERYTHING! You can even blend them up with some coconut butter, lemon, dates, and almonds for an out of this world RAW pie crust! Filling too! Just add some avocado, dates and raw chocolate. Or how about some banana, organic vanilla, and dates. With organic fruits on top! Talk about delicious!!

Default Does anyone know how to sprout?

Does anyone know how to sprout beans - such as Mung Beans etc.

I have been buying them already sprouted but wondered how to do it myself.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 19th, 2006 at 06:14 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread.
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

paulvegan

Default Re: Does anyone know how to sprout?

the best thing to do is get the sprouters handbook it explains it all. it easy once you get into a routine

wow I didnt know there was a handbook - how cool is that

Where do I get it?
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

paulvegan

local health food shop, liberary,or even a bookshop. have a look on the internet as well.

Thank Q

my favorite raw book has sprouting directions and tips as well as sprouted recipies.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I do mine in a 2l bottle that I cut in half, the top half holds the beans and has a peice of cloth over the lid hole so the water can drain out into the bottom half.

Soak them for 24 hours, then rinse them 2 or 3 times a day.

so you turn the top half upside down and put it in the bottom half

do you cover it ?

And where do you keep it?

sorry for all the Q's

It's probably not a good way to do it, but it works for me and it's free. Yes, top half in the bottom half, don't cover it, I keep it on a windowsill but I would think it would be better somewhere dark and warm.

The bottom half usually fills up quite quickly so has to be emptied regularly but it gives the top half somewhere to stand and means I don't have to stand at the sink while the water drains through.

I was thinking of buying a sprouter but I might try this.

I thought that you do need to keep them somewhere dark and warm!

Wow I am excited - I cant wait to start sprouting

ok so I am getting a bit obsessed on the sprouting front - I havnt even done it yet !!

But I was doing a search and found this - it might be helpful to somehttp://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/sprout.htm

paulvegan

if you have any glass jars you can use them as well.