Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sprouting

Default Re: Sprouting

I will do - I was reading in my "You are what you eat" book and Gillian tells you how to sprout

I have ordered a copy of the Sprouters Handbook too
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

I've been sprouting for about two months now - although preaching about it for more than a year.

I used to buy Aconbury sprouts - but the ones I now grow are better!

My issue is that i'm fine with mung beans, lentils, chick peas, aduki beans etc - BUT - eveytime I sprout seeds - they stink like urine and don't work out.

Unless someone has a key to get in whilst i'm at work - I need help!

Any URL's that can help on sprouting seeds - or any specific books?
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

..and what's wrong with piss smelling seeds??

oh...

you're rinsing them thoroughly frank?

maybe they're just meant to smell rank
    um..do they taste nasty?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Babe! I can't stand the smell of piss smelling seeds - let alone eat them. They seem to sprout and then die. The other sprouting works out fine so i would expect these to too.

There's no way i am going to try those in that state.

I'm not going to sprout any more seeds until i work out the issue.

Frank, you're seeds could be dying for two other reasons

EITHER you're using too many seeds, (two teaspoonfuls should suffice), this will release high concentrations of toxic waste as the seeds begin to germinate, killing them
    OR they're sitting in too much water. This will cause the seeds to breakdown anaerobically and give off a stinky smell

what sort of sprouter are you using? I've got a cheap and cheerful Biosnacky sprouter that sprouts seeds brilliantly with minimum fuss. The good thing about this sprouter is that it drains all the excess water away from the seeds.

this is what i do:
    1. rinse seeds thoroughly
    2. soak seeds for 12 hours
    3. drain seeds, rinse again and drain thoroughly
    4. place in the airing cupboard for 3-5 days (until the little leafy things appear on the seeds). Whilst seeds are in the airing cupboard, rinse and immediatley drain seeds twice a day.
    5. place seeds in a sunny spot for a couple of days, rinsing and draining twice a day.

Hope this helps!

Happy sprouting from an amateur biologist
    when everything changes...change everything

I use a three tier stack (can't remeber the name) and the water drains out into a bottom tray. i have two of these. I'm okay on the quantities - tried various amounts and do the same routine you tried. Never got to step 5 though!

What was the easiest seed you sprouted?

the easiest i've found is alfalfa.

the only other thing i'm wondering is are your sprouts getting enough light? i finish mine on my kitchen window sill (which is south facing).

the three tier sprouters tend to let a bit less light though to the seeds than the "jam jar" style ones like the biosnacky.
    when everything changes...change everything

Frank:
    Try sunflower or mustard seeds. Try rinsing them 2 or 3 times a day under a fast flowing tap and make sure they get moving about in the flow. Really blast them with the force of water.
    Then instead of just putting the tier back flat, angle it like the side of a pyramid in order to get maximum drainage (keeping the top on).
    Try just one tray at a time and see how you get on.
    This worked for me. Once the seeds are ready they need to be drained until they have no moisture left on them or they will rot. At this point you can put them in an airtight bag in the fridge.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I have been sprouting seeds for over 6 years now, long before I went vegetarian or vegan.

The seeds that I use are:

Alfalfa
    Mooli (Radish)
    Kohlrabi
    Broccoli Raab
    Broccoli
    Mustard
    Mung beans
    Aduki beans
    Chickpea

I have tried quinoa too but found the germination rate very low and quite frankly, quinoa is too expensive to waste this way if it is not going to germinate.

I use the three-tier thing as well and I haven't noticed this problem with alfalfa, radish, broccoli or other seeds.

I don't bother with the airing cupboard stage and put them straight on the windowsill after soaking and rinsing, but I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference to the pong. As herbwormwood says, rinsing them thoroughly under running water (at least twice a day) is important to keep them fresh. And don't forget to tip the manky water out of the bottom tray.

Must say I tend to give up in very warm weather though as they don't seem to do too well then.

I haven't had space to sprout as much as I once did, but I remember something useful.
    When I was trying to sprout flax seeds, and playing with the copious amount of mucids which suffocated the seeds...I hit on the idea of mixing them with wheat. The wheat kind of spread out and absorbed the mucids, such that the flax got plenty of oxygen.
    Another idea [which needs careful dosing] is the use of anti fungal/antibacterial solutions like tea tree oil, or lavender oil. I disclaim all responsibility for poisonings inspired by this idea. I think I started with one drop [ what's the volume dude?] in a litre of water. There must be other plant based solutions which could help stop the rot...cinnamon bark tea perhaps?
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

After reading this thread, I decided to give sprouting a try. I've always bought sprouts from stores and the idea of growing my own is intriguing. I ordered a kit and some seeds from Amazon.com. It was very reasonably priced and had good reviews from users. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Default Sprouting

Does anyone grow their own sprouts? I'm really interested, but I'd like to hear more from people who actually do it themselves!!
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 20th, 2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread! :-)
    "All you need is love."

I've been really interested, too. Unfortunately, as a student, I don't have any time to do this. But I've found this site and plan on using it when I can in the future. It's really informative and gives simple step-by-step instructions. Hope this helps!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

hi shelzyrose
    i sprout seeds and beans..(brocolli seeds..quinoa..mung beans..aduki beans..chickpeas) i have a little biosnacky jar thing..soak for a time depending on which seeds/beans they are then rinse twice daily and leave them for about 4 days..just have to make sure you rinse and drain them really well or they can go a bit stinky.

usually pop them into salads, sarnies or on top of soups.

there's larger sprouting containers you can get hold of...and i think they're about to buy on the net/ebay..or health foody type shops.

are you gonna have a go?

I'd really like to give it a try! I've been reading about different sprouters, and I especially like the ones that say, "So easy a child can do it!"
    "All you need is love."

it is!
    you could even use a jam jar and a piece of muslin secured with an elastic band in place of a proper sprouter..just make sure you have it such an angle that you can drain all the water from the seeds..then prop it up somewhere near a window so they get lots of lovely daylight

We used to sprout seeds when we were kids using a big jam jar with an old popsock (tights) over the top. Clean, like. It was the 70s - there was lots of popsocks around!

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    there was lots of popsocks around!
    indeed there were

I had no success sprouting when I first started, then I just chucked a handful of seeds in the sprouter and rinsed etc whenever I remembered and had great results. Sometimes the instructions complicate things, at least for me! I use a Bio Snacky Glass Germinator Jar, nice and simple, basically a jam jar with a plastic strainer-cum-stand.

I think there are one or two sprouting threads already if you search, but sprouting is really easy anyway, even for the horticulturally challenged (like me).

Yes, a jar with an old pair of tights over the mouth should work fine to start off with, then you can switch to a proper sprouter if you find you like it, as it makes rinsing a bit easier (I believe you can get self-rinsing ones now as well ) .

I have got one of those sprouters that consists of three perforated plastic trays stacked up on top of a fourth one (non-perforated) which catches the water. It works fine - I usually only use two trays at a time, and you can rinse them both at once under the tap (which I do twice a day). I keep it on a not-too-sunny windowsill.

At the moment I have mung beans on the go plus an "antioxidant" seed mixture I bought ready made up.

hey harpy, do you find good results with the trays then? I bought a three-tiered one recently and i've found it's not as good as the jar!

ogi

Today I eat my first corn sprouts! ..weeeee..

I put my white organic corns in water for 15h
    Than wash with cold water every day 3-4 times and keep on 20-23C
    Total time for sprouting 9.02.-13.02.

I really feel a much more energy today..from this sprouts..

cool ogi!

ogi

Quote cedarblue View Post
    cool ogi!
    Thanks!

The taste is sweet/bitter and very intensive
    I have a big problem with sleeping and I'm tired all the time
    This is one big vitamin bomb or something because today I have my eyes full open

This corn on my small arable..

hey ogi - did you use dried corn kernels for that? would popping corn work? forgive me but i've never seen sprouted corn.

ogi

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    hey ogi - did you use dried corn kernels for that? would popping corn work? forgive me but i've never seen sprouted corn.
    Yes, corn kernels which I normaly use for sowing.
    I don't see reason why not to try with popping corn kernels.
    Only it must be full organic.

Yes..google didn't saw also

Ogi, those corn sprouts look delicious! I'd like to start sprouting, as I am very interested in becoming raw (maybe not 100%). It also should not be hard, as I am wheat and gluten intolerant as well as sensitive and avoidant of a few other things.

Ooh Ogi - those corn sprouts look great. I've never seen sprouted corn before. Do you live on a farm, or do you grow vegetables in your garden?

ogi

I live in Zagreb, main town of Croatia
    But I have a small plant farm 60km from Zagreb, one beautiful village

Now I have wheat on the farm, soon I will have a lot of organic wheat for sprouting

I'm sprouting for the first time - green lentils
    Following this technique: http://onehotstove.blogspot.com/2005...g-lentils.html
    They should be ready tomorrow.
    Once they're fully sprouted, do I eat the lentils and sprouts, or just the sprouts?

I love sprouted lentils.
    I blanch mine. The longer they are, the less I cook them.
    I eat all of it.
    I read that the vitamin levels increase, the minerals become more absorbable due to breakdown of inositol hexaphosphate [phytic acid], ....that fats begin to breakdown as resources are mobilised for germination.
    I get the feeling I am repeating myself.

On the rinsing subject, my friend had some biofriendly commercial solution
    for rinsing vegetables ..... we wondered if it would be fit for stopping moulds and the like.
    I must ask for the name of it.

Quote Cup'O'Tea View Post
    Once they're fully sprouted, do I eat the lentils and sprouts, or just the sprouts?
    eat it all!

happy sprouting!

I have sprouted alfalfa and lentils in the past but they both tasted the same - do all sprouts taste the same. When I was a kid I remember chewing on peapods and the sprouts I have grown both taste like this. I am not a fan.

I mix my sprouts in with other food. In that way the potential of the 'same taste of sprouts' disappears.

Never cook your sprouts though as this destroys all the goodness you have just created.

Sprouting = enzymes. If you cook sprouts their valuable enzymes will be destroyed - or greatly minimised depending upon the amount of heat they receive.

Sorry, I missed bryzee's question, but yes I get good results with the trays - however it's many a decade since I tried a jar. What difference do you notice?

As regards them tasting the same, I find some have a distinctive flavour - for example mustard seeds are peppery whereas mung beans have a pea-like flavour. Alfalfa do taste sort of generic to me and I'm not so keen on sprouted lentils for some reason.

I do cook them occasionally, e.g. I'll put a handful of mung bean sprouts in a stir-fry - they probably would be more nutritious raw but sometimes you want cooked beans and there they are, ready soaked and asking to be stir-fried

I have tried sprouting in jars, trays, fruit punnets, ...on cellophane covered cardboard sheets slotted into cardboard tubes, plastic plates, and in inflated plastic bags on the lawn or in the airing cupboard, even bin liners hanging from the ceiling.... maintenance of environment appears to be the major concern.
    Big plastic mixing bowls were pretty good, but I just use plastic jugs and 'stainless' strainers now, if they start to go off, they hit the soup.

shallow dishes..

i did some chickpeas this last 4 days..soak for 12 hours, then bang them in a shallow dish..rinse them as regularly as you can remember then they sprout beautifully. i made mine into a smashing dollop of raw hummous, a pic of which can be shortly viewed in the 'what did you eat raw today thread'..

aha-aahaaaa

(the enzymes are making me giddy )

whalespace..your methods for sprouting are ingernious!

Pillowcases.

This case illustrates how one can use something everyday, for shopping bags, headscarves, handtowels, toolrolls, and oil filters... oh yeah, and for pillows... and somehow not see how ideal they are for sprouting plant seeds in.

Cloth bags. Hang them on the line, over the bath, in the basin etc.. They exclude varying amounts of light, keep out creepy crawlies, allow gases to circulate, are re usable, common, and...ooooooohooray!!

I feel silly.
    Back to the void.

I love raw sprouts. I've got two of those three tier trays. I got one free yesterday at a garden centre when I bought three packets of seeds.

There are several varieties on the go at the moment, three familiar ones: aduki beans, fenugreek, and brown lentils.

In my new sprouter are three that are new to me: wheatgrass, snow peas, and radish sango. I can't wait
    Last edited by vegcurry; May 19th, 2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo

cobweb

i am a fellow sprout love, with good old alfalfa being my favourite

i tried buckwheat recently and was totally unsuccessful - my only failure so far. I find chickpeas, alfalfa and radish the easiest.

ogi

edit

ogi

Sprouting time: 48h only on temp. 15-20C
    Today I had this very tasty / healthy lunch

Ogi - it looks like grains? What is it that you have sprouted?

Please help, I'm starting to feel really dumb because I don't understand how to sprout in a jar...

One set of instructions says:

"Put seed in jar, add soak water, put lid on. When soak is over, invert jar and drain water, then rinse again."

That bit I understand. But then...

"Then prop jar up at 45 degree angle for water to drain."

What do they mean... upside down but at an angle? Wouldn't they all be clumped on top of each other???

Anyone who can help me out of my stupidity... I'd be very much obliged
    Thanks

i've had success in the past and recently dragged the sprouter from the back of the cupboard and tried some aduki beans (soaked them overnight first) after 10 days odd they started sprouting slightly but then i thought they'd been out far too long and i threw them out. thougth 3-4 days for beans?? did i do something wrong?
    what is the best temperature to keep them at does anyone know?

Quote jackie View Post
    i've had success in the past and recently dragged the sprouter from the back of the cupboard and tried some aduki beans (soaked them overnight first) after 10 days odd they started sprouting slightly but then i thought they'd been out far too long and i threw them out. thougth 3-4 days for beans?? did i do something wrong?
    what is the best temperature to keep them at does anyone know?
    After soaking rinse them out - and put them back. In sunny or warm climate they will grow quicker. Rinse your beans every 12 hours. This can produce results within days. Aduki beans normally take me 3-4 days to sprout. I leave them with adequate light.

Best results for me come from organic sprouts - and those well within date.

Beans that I've had for too long, perform badly.

Quote fiamma View Post
    That bit I understand. But then...

"Then prop jar up at 45 degree angle for water to drain."

What do they mean... upside down but at an angle? Wouldn't they all be clumped on top of each other???
    It's just a way of draining excess water out of the jar, by putting it at an angle. Having them all soaking in water would not produce the result you are looking for. At the end of the jar you will have a cloth covering/similar - so when you turn it upside down the excess water drains out.

If you cannot get on with jars - then try trays.

These are easy to use and are perforated. These work well for me.

Forgive my repetition, but pillowcases rock.
    Any food fit cloth would do. I like to be able to boil mine. Hang them up somewhere suitable, like over a basin, in the shower, over a plant. The cloth will allow air flow, prevent bugs getting in, and allow propper drainage, and regulate light levels if you pick your fabric.
    I struggled for so long with jars and trays, but I know some people don't have the facilities.

Quote whalespace View Post
    Forgive my repetition, but pillowcases rock.
    Any food fit cloth would do. I like to be able to boil mine. Hang them up somewhere suitable, like over a basin, in the shower, over a plant. The cloth will allow air flow, prevent bugs getting in, and allow propper drainage, and regulate light levels if you pick your fabric.
    I struggled for so long with jars and trays, but I know some people don't have the facilities.
    Thanks for the repetition, I'd missed it previously. What an excellent idea.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..