Thread: Vegan Oregon

Default Vegan Oregon

Hello,
    I'm from Bend, Oregon. This town is not scarce as far as vegans go, so I'm pretty lucky. Anyone else from around who has any desire or reason to send me a message, go right ahead.

Default Hi and Welcome!

Well, I can think of no better reason to send a message than to send a greeting of welcome!

It's great to know that you have some few fellow vegans where you live--group support can be so helpful!

Here in Chicago, we have at least a few vegetarian/vegan restaurants; just about every restaurant here (without exception!) has at least one vegan item on the menu. I can honestly say that I've never had a problem.

I just joined this Web site recently; I look forward to exchanging ideas with everyone and learning a lot.

Once again--welcome!

Best regards,
    Kukla's Mom

hello torchdBallerina - interesting name!

welcome- have a good time here

Thank you all for taking the time to welcome me. I really appreciate the assurance that people out there really are listening!
    -J

Default Anyone here from Eugene, Oregon?

I am thinking of moving there, and I am wondering - is it as great as it sounds?

It seems that a lot of organic/natural/vegan stores and resturaunts are there.

Are the people friendly and informed?

Is there a lot to do - hiking, biking, paddling. The coast not too far.

Dog friendly?

Hey Wildflower,
    I live in Albany, Oregon, which is about 40 miles from Eugene. Yep, Eugene is very vegan friendly. There are a lot of places to get good vegan eats. The people there are friendly, informed, and progressive. But, you should that Eugene is a college town (University of Oregon), so there are lots a college students running about. The whole Willamette valley is great for hiking, biking, paddling, and skiing. Plus, the ocean is only about 50 miles away or so. About dogs, I'm not sure whether it is dog friendly or not. I've seen some dog-friendly apartments not too far from campus, though. Well, I hope that helps! Feel free to ask me any questions about Eugene.
    "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

clairem

Default Re: Anyone here from Eugene, Oregon?

hi wildflower......i am new to the site, though long-time vegan.....i am moving to eugene in june and have done quite a bit of online research on the area......i do believe that it has a lot of options for vegans and a comfortable liberal atmosphere......i also suspect that no matter how much research one does, you never really know if you will be happy somewhere until you experience it......have also been looking online for living quarters and have noticed that at least 50% of available rentals don't accept pets.....i currently have a cat and i have to contend with the fact that my options are more limited........however, in my experience, this is true anywhere......
    ........since you posted in february and it's now april, you may have already moved.......if so, let me know if you like it there.

Default Hello from Oregon

Hello one and all,

I'm new here and wanted to extend greetings to everyone. I've been a strict veggie for about 2 years and a vegan for about 2 months. I can't express how excited I am for such a wonderful gathering of fellow vegans. I'm currently the only vegan I know but I do have the fine support of numerous veggies. Its been tough expressing my lifestyle change to family, friends and strangers so I am thankful for the support offered here. So to sum up: Hello, nice to meet you and have a stellar day! - Happiness
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Hello wildflower,
    I'm born and raised in Oregon. Eugene is a great place for health/enviro aware people. There is plenty to do in Oregon in the way of outdoor rec. Just last night I did some beach camping and tomorrow I'm doing rock-climbing, so if you look for it you'll never get bored. As nonemorebrown said, it is a college town so keep that in mind (could either be a positive or a neg). Good luck with your move, or if you've already done so I hope you're settling in fine.
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Default Re: Hello from Oregon

Hello and welcome
    I'm quite new here, been veggie most of my life but only recently gone vegan.

"Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I possess".

Now try and get Ken Dodd and his tickle stick out of your mind.

Welcome to the veganforum Happiness, only 2787 threads and 46526 posts to familiarise yourself with.

Seaside

Welcome Happiness!

And welcome from me too, Happiness.
    A bit rattled

Default Oregon Vegans?

I'm not new to veganism, but I'm new to this site.

Are there other members from Oregon here? I'm sure there must be since we're a pretty vegan-friendly state.

Please say hi sometime.

I live in Corvallis, but I travel to Portland and Eugene nearly every week, and at least every month to visit friends or work on projects.

I'd love to hear from other vegan Oregonians.
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Hi Robert,

My husband and I will be moving to Portland in July and consider it an honor to be sharing living space with someone who has done so much for veganism. I am not sure about my workout situation as yet (the building we are living in supposedly with have a "gym"). But if you do any personal training............
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Cool! Portland is a great place! I love Portland and thought I'd be living there by now. I'm 90 minutes South of Portland but frequently visit. I'm not a certified personal trainer but I've helped a lot of people. Cool that you will have a gym where you live. That makes it easy to get those workouts in.

Thanks for writing and have a great time back East before heading out West.
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Default Oregon - Vegan Cooking Class - September 21st

I was just contacted by Brian P. McCarthy.
    He's the author of "The Lantern Vegan Family Cookbook".

He will be doing a vegan breakfast cooking class at Bob's Red Mill, Milwaukee Oregon, on September 21st from 6:00pm-8:00pm.
    He's going to make banana bread, sourdough pancakes, sausage skillet, chai tea, tofu scramble and morning muffins.

He told me that he would love the whole world to show up.
    So if you're in the area, do stop by!

Default Vegan [Central] Oregon

Any vegans, other than me, on here from Central Oregon?
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 18th, 2006 at 10:25 PM. Reason: We've merged a few Oregon-related threads...
    X