Thread: Is it possible to eat too much garlic?

Default Is it possible to eat too much garlic?

I just ate two large raw cloves of garlic, minced. The only thing my tongue is feeling is pain. My eyes are still watering. Despite the chilly room, I'm sweating. I've been eating a LOT of raw garlic lately and I suddenly wondered if there is a such thing as too much garlic??

cvC

Default Re: Is it possible to eat too MUCH garlic?

Why are you doing this? Is it to protect yourself from infection? I generally now follow the Indian tradition of avoiding garlic, onions and mushrooms, none of which are used at the "Govinda's" restaurants.

The effects of garlic are generally beneficial, although it can affect blood sugar levels and blood clotting, so if you have diabetes or a blood clotting disorder it would be wise to talk to a doctor. Try Wikipedia, or google "garlic overdose". All the best.

Klutz - are you having trouble with vampires? ;-)

Raw?! yuck! I hope it's not something you can have too much of, I have it in virtually every meal I cook.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

don't you sweat garlic out if you eat too much??

Quote cedarblue View Post
    don't you sweat garlic out if you eat too much??
    Yes. And it also makes your vagina/vulva smell too.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i've always heard that garlic can be beneficial in small doses, but, like herbs with medicinal properties, can accumulate in the system, and above certain concentrations become toxic. in this case it would procoke exactly the symptoms that it can cure in small amounts. eating garlic every day is certainly not a good idea.
    Piggy

Vegan Traveler

I used to eat atleast one whole raw clove of garlic daily, along with varying, large amounts of it cooked. While it can sting a bit raw, it's most likely nothing to worry about. I quit the daily routine because of obvious reasons.. but I really miss it. I enjoyed not only the taste, but it definately kept me healthy. If there's a cold going around, I'll eat a bunch of garlic and I rarely get a cold. Good luck!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Why do Indians avoid mushrooms?

cvC

Quote hollybee View Post
    I did a search and, while I don't necessarily agree with it all, found what's at the link below and from which below is an extract. The general gist is that consumption of the things I mentioned is not considered spiritually conducive and I remember reading something once about mushrooms growing in the dark that rather put me off them:

"By now the reader might ask: 'Why are onion, garlic and mushrooms bad?' As a matter of fact, onion and garlic are good for the body. They are bad for the mind. All three irritate and heat lower chakras (psychospiritual centers) and, thus, tend to make a person more irritable, distracted and sexually indiscriminant. Onions can be safely replaced with asafetida (hing)—a condiment derived from a certain tree resin used in Indian and Iranian cooking. When added to food, it tastes like onion but without the ill effects. In fact, Asafetida has calming and grounding qualities. It is readily available in the spice section of health food stores. Garlic is a good medicine: its antibacterial and blood purifying qualities have been known for centuries. Ginger has similar qualities without the negative mental effects (and bad smell) of garlic. In moderation, ginger is also balancing for all doshas (bodily humors) while the same is not true for garlic. Mushrooms generally grow on dead matter and are toxic in varying degrees to both body and mind.

Leaving onion, garlic and mushroom out of your diet is likely to help your spiritual path. Many people cannot meditate properly if their diet includes even a trace of onion, garlic and mushrooms. Onion, garlic and mushrooms are addictive substances and you will have withdrawal symptoms such as cravings when you quit eating them. So much for this terrible threesome."

http://www.abhidhyan.org/Teachings/T...etarianism.htm

Quote hollybee View Post
    My holistic nutritionist had said that everyone should avoid mushrooms - so other cultures and disciplines agree that mushrooms should be avoided as well
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Well, I think I've recovered from my self-inflicted garlic overdose. I ended up getting a really bad headache that lasted all night and nearly all day. Teaching kindergarten is not pleasant with a headache. My mouth actually felt slimy in the morning and I swear it was from garlic fumes escaping my stomach and traveling up my throat. The dogs also did NOT sleep under the blankets with me last night if you get my drift. And they have a pretty high tolerance for the smells their mother can produce.

No, I'm not having vampire problems...but got a really good laugh out of that one.

Actually, I was eating so much garlic partly because I like it and partly because I teach kindergarten and cold season is upon us. Despite nearly 10 years in Korea, I STILL have not built up immunities against colds here and catch every durned cold as easily as if I were licking the handrails in the subway and rubbing dirty tissues over my face. But, I am going to cut back. My stomach actually still feels sore, the headache is a not so distant memory, and I like for the dogs to cuddle up close at night.

Try vitamin C instead, it tastes better
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I don't mean to bump up a thread from 2 years ago, but it should be clarified that Indians as a whole don't avoid garlic and onions. Rather, a particular religion in India, Jainism believes that eating garlic and onions isn't beneficial to one's health.

And FYI: If you're going to follow something that a particular culture does, it might serve you well you read up on the reasons behind it FULLY. Otherwise, not only are you WRONG but you generalize to an entire region what is practiced by only a group of people.

cobweb

some buddhists also avoid onions and garlic too.

Mahk

There are different reasons for different groups. For the "health" group, I think their reservation is not that garlic/onions etc are unhealthy to the body but rather the mind; they "excite the senses" which I think is a polite way of saying "makes you horny and/or angry":

"East Asian "Buddhist" cuisine differ from Western vegetarian cuisine in one aspect, that is avoidance of killing plant life. Buddhist vinaya for monks and nuns prohibit harming of plant. Therefore, strictly speaking, no root vegetables (such as potatoes, carrots or onion) are to be used as this will result in death of vegetables. Instead, vegetables such as beans or fruits are used. However, this stricter version of diet is often practiced only on special occasion. Some Mahayana Buddhists in China and Vietnam specifically avoid eating strong-smelling plants, traditionally garlic, Allium chinense, asafoetida, shallot, and Allium victorialis (victory onion or mountain leek), and refer to these as 五荤 'Five Acrid And Strong Smelling Vegetables' or 五辛 'Five Spices' as they tend to excite senses. This is based on teachings found in the Brahma Net Sutra, the Surangama Sutra and the Lankavatara Sutra (chapter 8). In modern times this rule is often interpreted to include other vegetables of the onion genus, as well as coriander."

wikipedia

Here's a more detailed breakdown:

"How is sexual misconduct related to diet? In the Shurangama Sutra (Mahayana school), The Buddha explains how the "Five Pungent Spices", including garlic and onions, are forbidden:

Beings who seek samadhi should refrain from eating [the] five pungent plants of this world. If these five are eaten cooked, they increase one's sexual desire; if they are eaten raw, they increase one's anger. (2)
    Furthermore, the gods "will stay far away from them because they smell bad, [and] hungry ghosts will hover around and kiss their lips". (2) Being around ghosts will hinder one's quest for enlightenment. These demons have the power to appear as false Buddhas and speak false Dharma. The Buddha further warns that in the Dharma-ending Age (the age in which we are now) there will be an abundance of false prophets, or ghosts and demons who will appear as Bodhissatvas. Those who are so far off the path might believe in or be possessed by ghosts or demons mascarading as enlightened masters. These demons might talk the misguided ones into consuming "excrement and urine, or meat and wine" and justify it."

Source.

I know I for one certainly don't want to give any demons the opportunity to misguide me into eating excrement and urine... I wonder what their motivation is to attempt to do this to us is? Perhaps just a practical joke, I guess.

Pilaf

Science > holistic spiritual religious beliefs.

We have good, solid medical research to indicate that both mushrooms and garlic are in fact wonderfully healthy foods. There's no legitimate reason to avoid them except for allergies.

Quote Pilaf View Post
    Science > holistic spiritual religious beliefs.

We have good, solid medical research to indicate that both mushrooms and garlic are in fact wonderfully healthy foods. There's no legitimate reason to avoid them except for allergies.
    Mushrooms are frequently grown in and in essence (since they are a fungus) "made from" animal waste. Some find this too close a contact.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Default Re: Is it possible to eat too much garlic?

A diet without garlic, onions and mushrooms?
    I think i can forgo spiritual fulfillment if it means having to accommodate that!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Default Re: Is it possible to eat too much garlic?

Quote gogs67 View Post
    A diet without garlic, onions and mushrooms?
    I think i can forgo spiritual fulfillment if it means having to accommodate that!
    Me too, it's unthinkable - too much garlic is an impossibility!
    Silent but deadly :p