Thread: vegan gourmet... cheddar? Eww gross...

NapoleonDM

Default vegan gourmet... cheddar? Eww gross...

I just got a block of Follow your heart vegan gourmet cheddar (lost my cookbook, (only know maybe 20 recipes or so by heart...), when we had the house redone and packed everything into boxes and now it's floating in mountains of crap (no really, I can't even get to my bike), this is not good two book stores didn't have it either, only found vegan vittles and my Table for 2 books. I also lost my food processor, and lost a few other "essentials" in boxes who knows where)
    Anyways, this Vegan Gourmet cheddar cheese is $, and it tastes so bad (whitish block is better). Cheddar = bad. I can't get past the smell of it or something. So any recipes I can "camouflage" it in with? Pizza didn't work...
    Nacho cheese? baked casseroles? Mac n cheese? Dips? Anything guys?
    Or is this another product down the drain?

-Kim

Default Re: vegan gourmet... cheddar? Eww gross...

Ohmygod! I love this stuff! I just eat it right out of the package. I always plan on cooking with it, but I just end up eating it. I did dice it up in chili once and it was really good.

Sorry you don't like it. If I lived near you, I'd come pick it up from you.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

My husband loves it. I melt it with a little soymilk, green chiles and tomatoes and use it as a dip. I use both the cheddar and mozz on pizza, it's good!
    The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

I love the Follow Your Heart cheese- I melt it into noodles and make macaroni and cheese!
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

I love it on Nachos! And on Pizza!

NapoleonDM

Umm... when I bought it, it wasn't like the mozzarella one, which I eat on pizza and it is the ONLY cheese sub I use on pizza... sh*t, even the day old pizza I made with it is delicious! Cold pizza! Usually doesn't make it that long. I eat like two pizzas (mini) a day...

So when I bought the cheddar one I opened the package, and it smelled so sour and gross. Very strong. Reminded me of sweaty old socks.
    The consistency wasn't even the same as the mozzarella one. It had cracks all along in it, grated very rough, reminded me of frozen-thawed tofu (yes actually it really did, but firmer), and had liquid all over it, package had so much liquid! It wasn't smooth feeling.

I inspected all the blocks at the store... each one had this (about 10). So it must be normal then. And not just a bad one.
    I don't understand, mozzarella was NOT like this. It's firm, smooth, a little rubbery and soft, grates well (not like firmed harder rubber) has no cracks in it, and doesn't have tons of liquid at the bottom. But maybe that's how they lock in moistness.

I do like Galaxy foods "VEGAN cheddar slices" (kind of salty though?), on Sun burgers though (gluten free-vegan) w/ avocados, and black olives, ketchup and lots of mustard... eat this, and dream about it frequently!
    (cook burger 30 seconds on one side, flip over, place room-temperature cheese slice on top, cook another 30-45 seconds, it gets melty and warms up, and then in a few secs turns out "spreadable" with a knife I have found).

I have Galaxy Foods parmesan Vegan in a funny-little cute can like shaker container, it's ok, but has an aftertaste. Better when cooked with. Do any of you have a better one? Is soymage better?

I also like Uncheeses (colby, gooda-wow, swiss one was good didn't like one of the spices in there (dill seed?) a garbanzo Harvanti is so good warm on chips, crock cheese, fettucine no-fredo, gooey grilled cheese, macaroni is amazing in their, ricotta, so is the three cheese lasagna, and parmesan substitue, (almonds, nutritional yeast and I think some salt, can't get any easier! I memorised these thank goodness, I think mostly anyways, lol... but those are the only ones I think I have tried), I wouldn't recommend them on pizza, that's one thing that just turns out not great (pizza + mozzarella follow your heart = good), but lost my book when we redid the house. Anyone one a share a recipe, lol.
    Garage is so full of boxes (from 4 sisters stuff) it goes all the way up to the ceiling-you'd cry! My darn food proccesor is somewhere in there, along with a huge bulk bag of nutritional yeast! and clothes, but hey found most of my heels and shoes! There's a blender somewhere too, but I have three of them, so it's o.k. I have no time on my hands to go through it. There's not enough hours in the day.
    A few weeks ago, two books I found (vegan vittles (love the sloppy joe substitute she has Messy Mikes, and table for two), and a crap load of tofu cooking books, sinfully vegan (brownie recipes in their suck! and some other ones. But I'm getting all nervous and worked up over it. Not cool.

And yes I love nutritional yeast cheeses too, along with it on popcorn, and veggies (potato, carrots, ect). But found out ironicly I have uric acid/calcium something crystals in my kidneys so am trying to limit it to once every two weeks (brewers yeast and Nutritional yeast (not the same thing) are a no no). Eating 1/2 cup a Nutritional yeast everyday I'm sure wasn't too smart. But the mac recipes are addictive once you get used to them.

It must have been spoiled. The whole bunch must have been expired. I once bought expired vegan mayo by accident and my mom went to return it and she discovered that ALL the jars were mouldy.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I'm not crazy about vegan cheese. I've bought imitation cheddar before but it's so synthetic I don't feel like I'm eating real food. Then again I do eat boiled sweets and chocolate soy-shakes, which are just as fake I suppose

Seaside

Well, I've always thought of cheese made from cow's milk to be very highly processed too. The end product is indistinguishable from its beginnings, so I don't think of soy products as any more or less processed or unnatural than animal based ones.

Vegan Gourmet Cheddar is good on tacos.

The package you got sounds very much like it went bad, Napoleon. I've never seen the cheddar like that. It is always just like the mozzarella, except for the color and flavor.

Man I want some of this

(Napolean Dynomite I love your movie)

NapoleonDM

First person who got that, lol.

Yes, I think (and hope) it was bad FYH cheese.

inspected all the blocks at the store... each one had this (about 10). So it must be normal then. And not just a bad one.
    I don't understand, mozzarella was NOT like this. It's firm, smooth, a little rubbery and soft, grates well (not like firmed harder rubber) has no cracks in it, and doesn't have tons of liquid at the bottom. But maybe that's how they lock in moistness.
    I am glad to hear that their mozzarella is better. I got the cheddar and I feel the same way about it. I'll give the mozzarella a chance. The cheddar did taste a bit strong and the texture was like tofu. I did find something that it was good in. I made a tofu scramble with onions, peppers, tomatoes, Mexican spices, etc. It melted in that and the other ingredients helped mask the harsh flavor of the cheese. It was ok in that.

Hopefully I'll like their mozzarella...

i think the mozzarella is better too.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

trudatman

would love more opinions on Follow Your Heart cheezes. monterey jack?

our pizza shop is considering variety.

i havent tried montery jack, but my sister says its really good.

anyone ever make nachos with vegan gourmet cheese? it doesnt melt well in the microwave but if you put the cheese under the broiler or 500 degree oven on the top shelf, it melts perfectly. it works great with nachos this way as the nachos crisp up a little reminding me of the nachos you get at restaurants.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I get this stuff once a week, easily.

I wish they'd come out w/a muenster.