Thread: Tofu still a popular choice?

Default Tofu still a popular choice?

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on tofu these days. Do you think that it was the "in" food a few years back and has lost it's popularity? Or do you think that it is as popular as ever? I'm interested to hear opinions on this. Thanks.

Vegan Traveler

Default Re: Tofu still a popular choice?

I still love tofu!!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

I think it's as popular as ever - it's so quick to prepare, and so versatile too.

There seem to be a lot more processed tofu around nowadays, which has been prepared so it can be eaten without cooking, from companies like cauldron, clear spot, taifun and demeter, so I think the tofu market is growing. Also we now have a tofu factory in Gateshead which does processed and "raw" tofu. I tend to buy the processed tofu more often as its so much easier. I like Taifun best. The Graffiti terrine and the fillet.
    When I first went vegan I never saw anything except plain "raw" tofu. And back in the 1970s and 1980s I didn't see any tofu at all! TVP was about the only vegan meat alternative.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

It's getting popular. Even two years ago, my local supermarket only carried a couple of brands. Now they have a lot more selection of different brands, tofu types, pre-flavoured, pre-seasoned, pre-cooked, etc.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I had no idea there was such a thing as raw tofu, I thought there was just one type Is the raw type harmful if you don't cook it first?

When I think of raw tofu, I think of just the curded soybeans. Nothing added. Perhaps water in the packaging (and magnesium sulfate for antibacterial action).

What I love is all the cookbooks out there for preparing tofu in meals. It isn't just marinating the tofu and then either baking it or frying it. It is being used as a binder in baked goods, the base for sauces, and I've even got a recipe that uses tofu and wheat gluten for an amazing seiten.

What I do not like is all the process tofu out there. Preservatives, trans-fat, and high fructose corn syrup can find there way into the process tofu/meat substitutes items. And the reading of labels for me to purchase non-GMO soybean tofu.

I think Tofu is becoming more popular too. The grocery stores are carrying more varieties of it (marinated tofu, desert tofu etc). I only buy organic tofu, because that's the only way I can ensure that it's not made using G.M. soybeans.

Oliver Oil

Having only turned vegan this September, I can't compare tofu's popularity now with years gone by. It seems to be easily available and there are lots of contemporary recipes that include it, which, I guess, indicates that it is popular.

Tofu is not a food I would ever have considered eating in my pre-vegan days. No sir. I'm not mad about it even now, but, having formerly been a hardcore omnivore, I need to fill that void, and tofu is something I have to try. Without my vegan cookbooks and the tofu-inclusive recipes available on the internet, I'd be clueless though. They're helping me to understand how to "work" with tofu. I think it's an acquired taste (certainly in my case). I know there are other meat substitutes out there, but, from what I've read, tofu seems to be more wholesome, nutritious and versatile (please correct me if I'm mistaken). That said, if I just couldn't bear to let another piece of tofu pass my lips, I suppose I could survive without it.

Windfall

I still love tofu, too me ages to get used to it, though!

fiamma: I dont think raw tofu is harmful in any way, but it might not be very tasty!

I've just had 2 lots of Cauldron Beech Smoked Tofu, it is gorgeous!
    I never ate tofu before until about 2 months ago, now, I love it!

I don't think I've ever seen raw tofu over here, just the cooked stuff, like Demeter and Taifun.

popular as ever! yummm i looveee tofu!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

yep, I love tofu. eat it at least a couple times a week. I love how you can turn it into anything...blend it smooth, mash it up, eat as is. I agree that I think it's more popular now than ever before, based on the different types and amounts at mainstream grocery stores here.

I find that tofu makes little icky after a while. I found some fresh tofu that had been made at a local Asian shop, so I very enthusiastically bought two packages. The first I ate; the second I put in my favorite marinade but just couldn't face eating it. I have been eating beans and nuts lately, instead.

I can't eat tofu very often, maybe like once every few months. I always end up throwing my half a block left. (It never freezes properly for me)
    Peace, love, and happiness.