Thread: Anyone got Tesco Internet Phone (UK) ?

Default Anyone got Tesco Internet Phone (UK) ?

Our mate gave us one of the headset packs today, he got it on special for £5. I wondered if anyone else here has got one?

We have it on our laptop, which is on wireless so it's not the best quality... but that might be due to the speed of our wireless rather than the quality of the thing. Matey is installing it on his PC right now which is plugged straight into the broadband so will see if that works out better.

It's good because you get a UK local number for it, so other people can call it for the normal rates and it comes through to your computer using a headset or a USB plugged in phone (it works just using the speakers and mic built into our laptop but not so well!), and you can call other TIP users for free. And there is a free voicemail facility too for when your computer is off or you are in a call.

We are moving to Australia in January so this will be handy to keep in touch! Our broadbanded relatives can get one and call us free and our others can just call for the price of a local call. We might need to arrange to give a quick call or text or something first to get everyone on the computer at the same time!

Default Re: Anyone got Tesco Internet Phone (UK) ?

I just use skype myself, I think most people who use Voip do.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TIP is the skype for technophobes!

I can't see how it could be any simpler than skype? Other than the fact that a supermarket is selling it which could give some reassurance. (Brand loyalty how I hate brand loyalty)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Not the cheapest you still pay 1p per minute.
    If you have a BT landline they must allow you to use a carrier service if you choose by law.

I would highly reccomend
    http://www.call1899.co.uk/
    or
    http://www.18185.co.uk/index2.php

Both the same company ther calls cost 3p or 4p for the entire whole call no matter how long and what time of day, my last call cost phone bill was 2.37 I think and that was for 2 months, so you basically get around 30 calls for a pound.

Yes VOIP to VOIP is free but that is the only time its worth using.

We have used http://www.call1899.co.uk/ for a year now its great and cheap all done by DD. And it announces call cost at the start of each call.

"0p per minute" all you get charged is the 3 or 4p connection fee.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

snaffler is that like a calling card, where you dial a number before the phone number to use the cheap rates?

I think where the Tesco deal is best is when you have it from overseas - for instance, when we have moved to Australia, we will still have a Harlow number, so if there are people we can't talk to for free online, they can call the local number and just pay local rates, and we don't pay anything for the privelege besides the inital cost. So it's easy peasy for any of our family in Harlow to just call a local number, nothing else required, and talk to us in Australia.

Also, I think the ease of it is that you just buy the pack from Tesco, then you plug in the headset or usb phone, stick the cd in, and just follow the instructions. I think it just appeals to techophobes because it looks easy and straightforward. And I suppose it is partly brand trust, too. I would have a hard time getting some of my relatives to install Skype (I can't even get my parents on MSN because my dad is a microsoft-phobe! for goodness sake it's computer software not a boogieman), let alone use a call plan thing.

We've been using a calling card type thing called Planet Talk for over 6 years to call family in Australia, they are quite good, you call an 0800 number before the phone number, and you pay in advance. More expensive than some of the newer ones I suppose but we won't be needing it for that long so we'll stick with it. I think it's 2 or 3p a minute.

Edited to add: I just had a look at the skype website. It does look very similar, and you can also do video calls on it which you can't do with Tesco, and the rates for making calls out is cheaper - generally 2 euro cents a minute, same for uk as for australia, and I don't know the exchange rate but it's a little cheaper than the 2p Tesco charges for both of those places. BUT, to get a uk number to 'skype-in', is £8 for 3 months and £23 for a year! Whereas with Tesco you get a number when you buy a pack, and there isn't any ongoing line rental or charges at all! So god knows how they can make any money out of it, unless you go mad making calls out or something! We got it for a fiver, and that's permanent.

So I suppose it depends what you want it for, and also who you want to talk to.