Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

Roastie, why do you think people don't like you? If you're part of the vegan community right there you have many redeeming qualities!
    "Working for God on Earth is terrible pay but the retirement benefits are out of this world!" :p

*Sniffs out a sense of low self esteem....

Roastie I think you are nice

Ha! Low self esteem?

Nahh. I just had to work the laptop joke in somehow...

Default Melbourne

Am going to Melbourne next weekend for the first time!
    I'll only be there for 4 days, but gotta somehow fit in visiting 1. Pronto Brontos; 2. the Spud bar; 3. Lentil as Anything and 4. Soulmama

Is there anything else in the St. Kilda or city area that is recommendable? Any good vegan shops/markets? I'm so excited - my toes are dancing!

Are you only staying in the St Kilda area? Because the inner north has many more places than St Kilda does. (Fitzroy mainly).

Looking for shoes or fake leather? http://www.veganwares.com/ on Smith Street, Collingwood.

Nice nice restaurant, low prices? (Mains $15-$16) Shakahari Vegetarian Restaurant, 201 Faraday Street, Carlton. Try the Laksa! Mmmmmm.

There are a million and one places to eat / shop on Brunswick Street, Fitzroy (and around that area - gertrude st. etc.)...

But Lentil as Anything should be at the top of the list!

Have fun!

Imapeach, Soulmama is very on and off with it's food. Sometimes it is delicious, and sometimes it is feral! I would recommend going to the vegie bar instead. You are guaranteed something delicious there...and trampoline (sells amazing vegan sorbet) is just across the road. Not far from there, is a place called the vegetarian orgasm - not such great main meals, but OMG - the desserts! You will die!

Oh and for the record - if you are in Melbourne, and you don't sample trampoline sorbet, you will regret it FOREVER

Ooh.. vegan wares.. i forgot about that place! thanks

So, Lentil as Anything is at the top of my list and it looks like I'll be trying to find my way to Trampoline now too.... gotta try that beetroot sorbet!!

BTW, there is a place on the Norwood Parade that sells vegan sorbet too. It's supposedly all-natural and has some pretty weird flavours... I'll try and get more info tomorrow!

Won't have much time really to travel between suburbs in Melb is the only prob, as I'm basically backpacking it all... I'll be spending sunday and monday in St. Kilda anyways (goin' to see Dave Matthews Band!!!! and then flying up to Brisbane to see them there too) and my other time out at Williamstown. But as I'm totally foreign to Melbourne it's just gonna be a matter of whatever I can find my way to, I'll take! Can't wait tho, it's gonna be a great week!!

Quote Imapeach
    BTW, there is a place on the Norwood Parade that sells vegan sorbet too. It's supposedly all-natural and has some pretty weird flavours... I'll try and get more info tomorrow!
    Affirmative on the vegan sorbet. So long as you get the ones labelled "dairy-free", there's still a good dozen or so flavours to choose from. But now I can't remember the name of the place...... um... it's the gelataria on the Parade that isn't Cibo!!

Vegie Bar makes good chocolate cake. On Saturday night I had a massive craving for chocolate doughnuts, and coz I was having dinner nearby (Tho Tho in Richmond), I thought that I would make a stop to the vegetarian orgasm to pick up a yummy jam filled choccie doughnut- the only place in Australia where I have ever seen a vegan choccie doughnut. THERE WERE NONE THERE So I thought I would drive up the street to Pronto Brontos to get a non-chocolate doughnut. THEY WERE SHUT . So I decided to settle for something else rich and sweet, but not at the vegetarian orgasm coz I caused a scene there about the chocolate doughnuts and I was too embarrassed to go back. So we went to the vegie bar and opted for the only vegan dessert - a giant slice of chocolate mud cake The icing was awesome and I wanted to save it till last. But stupid me had eyes too big for my stomach and I never got to the icing . Rob was smart and he ate his icing first Anyway, my point is, after all that ordeal, the vegie bar makes yummy chocolate cake!

Oh and BTW, I had the jitters all night and I haven;t slept for two nights. I suffered mild anxiety attack today and I became very hyperactive within an hour of consuming it as I have hypoglycemia, as well as a severe intolerance to caffiene. And yes, it was worth it

La la la I'm back! And with a backpack full of restaurant reviews to share

As some of u may know, I travelled this last week from Adelaide to Melbourne to Brisbane and down the Gold Coast before arriving back this morning. Very exhausting trip with lots of walking around and getting lost in cities - but with plenty of time to explore vegan eats and get nicely fattened up before the winter months!

First stop: Melbourne, the land of Coffee.

In St. Kilda, I found a plethora of vegan options. Seven Apples gelataria was nice, but it seems most gelati places have vegan options these days, so it was nothing to get excited about. I took a friend to Lentil As Anything, which was hard to find, but worth the exploring! We had a great time there eating al fresco (is that the word for outdoors??) and watching the local wildlife up close and personal on the pavement. The food was definitely not your normal vegan cafe food, and got two thumbs up from both of us! However, the place that truly bedazzled me was the Spud Bar next door! Those potatoes are freaking huge! I ordered take away and sat in the Botanical Gardens up the road. I offered a seagull some of my grated carrot, but he wasn't interested. Apparently Melbourne seagulls are fussy eaters. Who would've thunk it? Also, while I was in the rainy city (that never actually rained on me) I become quite the coffee addict, as every single bloody corner has a cafe on it. Also medals to 7eleven for having vitasoy on hand at 3am!

Next stop: Brissy, alternative eatings.

Definitely the best food I've eaten in my life was at Veg Out in Fortitude Valley. I stumbled across it by accident and managed to eat there 4 times during my 2 day stay Go for the scrambled tofu at breakfast. And feel safe eating deep fried chips for once in your life! Organic coffee too, which aided me in my Melbourne withdrawals. Another place I sampled was a Tibetan restaurant called the Himalayan Cafe, in Newstead (I believe?) Although not purely vegetarian, it did have a lot of vegan labelled foods to choose from. I had some spinachy tomatoey rice thing. I forget the name, but it was alright. Not great, very cumminy, but nice to have options The CBD however, was a disappointment. I walked around for hours trying to find a place to eat and ended up just going to Coles Although I did find the biggest apple ever at a fruit stall for $1.

Finally: GC, the town of fruit.

The Gold Coast was a let down for vegan food. I basically just ate felafal and cereal the whole time. I was quite surprised too - I thought Gold Coast residents would be more health conscious. I only found one health food store while I was there! Although the fruit markets were fantastic - bananas for sale still on the branch! and fantastic cheap pineapples, rockmelons, mangoes..... yum! Queensland is the fruit salad and juice state for sure!

So endeth my journey through vegan australia. One more thing - I noticed that the Spud Bar and Veg Out were both franchised businesses with information available to others who were interested in starting their own. Please, if there is anyone in Adelaide wanting to open their own business, please please please consider one of these places!!

cross barer

Default melbourne eat spots

Vegetarian orgasm is having cheapo days!!!!

here's the email I got:
    We now have a new ~1/2 price menu~ available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays with some of everyones favourites, come and check it out. Nothing over $8!

We have had to slightly change our operating hours, so that we could focus on making Vegetarian Orgasm even better!! We are now only opening for dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday from 5:00pm, so no lunch trade Tuesdays and Wednesdays for now, but if you are local and wanting some of our delicious food for lunch, put us in your calender for Thursday or Friday!

Vegan Breakfasts are a very popular weekend treat and we have now included waffles (YUM!), bruschettas and sausage-roll in a roll with sauce.

Our back courtyard area is up and running and should be weather-proofed and heated by June so keep us in mind for your winter functions if you want some space and comfort to entertain for your special occasion.

We will also be starting a monthly food tasting experience that will get everyone taste-buds drooling.. more to come on that in the next Veggie O mailout!
    WATCH THIS SPACE!

To thank all our regular customers, we have a 10% discount special on, so be sure to ask for your voucher at your next visit (valid until 30 July 2005 and not available in conjunction with the 1/2 price menu).

Hope to see you soon : )

Lisa Mifsud
    Owner
    Vegetarian Orgasm
    59 - 61 Gertrude Street
    Fitzroy VIC 3065
    (03) 9419 9321
    Nothing over $8!!!!!!!

See you there 'nana and roastie.

Also, found out yesterday that in the RMIT food hall (between swanston and elizabeth sts) there is an organic co-op called "organarchy" which had yummy vegan pastries (I had the eggplant calzone) but by coincidence I came across an organic cafe in Clifton Hill today (forget the name, east side of street the 86 tram goes up toward northcote) who is supplied by the same guy. The owner was lovely and she said the supplier uses all certified organic ingrediants and doesn't have a shop but also supplies the organic place at Melbourne uni and Monash (Prolly Wholefoods).

Sorry if this is already posted but it's months since I read this thread.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

I think those calzones are made by Las Vegan Bakery. Was there an eggplant one, coz if there was, then this is las vegan

cross barer

Yes and that makes sense because the woman at the other cafe didn't know about the calzones. The other stuff but, tofyu & pumpkin pies etc, is from this other guy.

cross barer

Had the cheapos at Vegie O last wednesday. The menu is pretty good, can get an entree and main for $10. No desserts on the cheap menu, but their regular menu is still available. I had vegan pesto bread, vegan pizza and went in on spring rolls, dim sims and samosas and between 7 of us the whole thing cost $72.
    I think I'll be there once a week whilst this is on!

Cryospark

Yah I went down morphett street today but didnt spot drift cafe whats it look like?

Quote adam antichrist
    Yes and that makes sense because the woman at the other cafe didn't know about the calzones. The other stuff but, tofyu & pumpkin pies etc, is from this other guy.
    The tofu and pumpkin pies are by vegetable creations, which isrun by an Indian chef. He makes all the mushroom and tofu pies I eat

Default Re: Isn't there anyone from Sydney here?

hey there newmayham,

I'm from Sydney and have been a vegan now for about 3 months and loving it!! I was a vegetarian for 16 years before I switched over. I am totally glad I did. In terms of vegan eateris, I only know of Iku (macrobiotic, organic and so on), the Green Gourmet in Newtown and The Celestial Palace in Newtown (which is 100 per cent vegan). Do you know of more vegan eateris?? It would be much apprecitated.

How long have you been vegan?? I had yum at the Green Gourmet and it's always awesome!!! I'm happy to see afair few vegans in Australia, not to mention overseas...

Cheers,

Wildflowa

cross barer

Quote wildflowa-99
    Do you know of more vegan eateris?? It would be much apprecitated.
    Hi wildflowa, welcome to the VF and congratulations on going vegan.

Bhodi's in Sydney does vegan yum cha (although perhaps not striclty vegan)
    MOther tsu or chu or tzu (sorry, can't remember) in PItt St. Used to be an awesome mock meat place on Illawara Rd Marrickville near Woolly's (up the hill from Marrickville station). Shakespeares do the odd vegan pie and some of their outlets do vegan chips but watch the salad dressing!

Check out vegans unite . The woman who runs it, Dan, is loverly.

Also she runs an Animal Rights radio show on RRR at 1 or 2pm the first saturday of every month with details on vego get togethers as well as actions. Think there's one on next saturday?

Quote Cryospark
    Yah I went down morphett street today but didnt spot drift cafe whats it look like?
    It's purple and wedged in between Unity Bookstore and the Lotus Lounge cocktail bar (a silver building) It's kinda hard to spot I suppose. Look for the Tibetan Prayer Flags on the balcony above

Also, in case you haven't already heard :P Their infamous chocolate cake has now become an equally enjoyable chocolate MUFFIN! You gotta be quick to get one of these babies as they go pretty fast.

Quote Miel Miette

Bodhi Cafe Under Central Station, on Eddie Ave, Sydney.
    They have actually closed down, i know i know
    i was looking for them last month, so i went to the other one, Bodhi on the park, its n the corner of cook n phillip park in the city
    http://www.sydneycafes.com.au/vegetarian.html

Quote newmayaml
    Isn't there anyone from Sydney here?
    Im from sydney
    it seems tht all the vegans are in vic and Qld
    must be sumthing in the water.
    anyway, i never been to Macro, as i dont really live too close to bondi but if i get the chance, maybe u can point me around the macro wonderland?

cross barer

Quote babybelly
    They have actually closed down, i know i know
    i was looking for them last month, so i went to the other one, Bodhi on the park, its n the corner of cook n phillip park in the city
    http://www.sydneycafes.com.au/vegetarian.html
    The central station bhodi was not worth going to

cross barer

White Lotus closed! Until July 24 or similar. (I found out the hard way...)

hey there babybelly,

Thanks for the list of vegan and vegetarian eateries. I have been to some of them but I intend to try the ones I didn't know about.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Wildflowa

I have lived in Adelaide for several years now and it is pretty good for vegan food, especially in the day time. My first recommendation is Vego and Lovin' It, a 100% vegan cafe upstairs on Rundle Street East. Their soups are divine and the vegan muffins with soya cream are heavenly.

Vegetarian Garden in the Mansions arcade on the corner of Rundle Mall and Pultney Street is also 100% vegan and serves fine Malaysian style food. Check out the laksas and the spring rolls!

Theas is a vegetarian tea house in Gawler place and has a beautiful atmosphere. They are not 100% vegan because their noodles contain egg but all of their rice dishes are vegan. They also serve vegan prawn crackers and the most amazing iced tea.

Yiro organic on Rundle Street East is omnivorous but they do offer amazing organic vegan wraps including tempeh and tofu and the best falafel in Adelaide.....

And of course Drift Cafe on the corner of Morphet and Gouger is brilliant... Ask for vegan spelt pizza on a Friday evening (after 6pm) and you won't be disappointed even though there is a long wait. Their vegan cakes with soya cream are also very good.

Vegetarian Delight is an almost vegan restaurant on Port Road, about 10 minutes drive from the city. They do amazing vegan dim sims and a great mock Mongolian beef.

Oh and if you are ever in Canberra check out Au Lac. This is probably my favourite Asian vego restaurant in the world!!

cross barer

Vote for your favourite Victorian vego restaurant in the VVN Vic restaurant of the year wards.
    http://www.vnv.org.au/RestAwards.htm

Check out their site while you're at it

OMG - All of you in Melbourne HAVE to go to Sharma's!!!!! It is an Indian vegan restaurant in Malvern and OMG it is the yummiest food I have had in aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggges

Between my boyfriend and I, we had fried mashed potato balls, pea and potato curry, eggplant curry, saffron rice and fried roti stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes - we had a very potatoish meal Everything was delicious, especially the potato balls and the stuffed bread. Will be going there often

cross barer

Quote Banana
    OMG - All of you in Melbourne HAVE to go to Sharma's!!!!! It is an Indian vegan restaurant in Malvern and OMG it is the yummiest food I have had in aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggges

Between my boyfriend and I, we had fried mashed potato balls, pea and potato curry, eggplant curry, saffron rice and fried roti stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes - we had a very potatoish meal Everything was delicious, especially the potato balls and the stuffed bread. Will be going there often
    Nana, you snuck in the back way!
    Vote for them in the Victorian Veg Network restaurant of the year award
    http://www.vnv.org.au/

I love Indian food! There is so much of it which is suitable for vegans. Today I had a chickpea curry and a zucchini curry.

I love Indian too. esp. naan bread yum
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but many nan breads contain milk products, such as yoghurt. Be sure to check with the restaurant and see what their ingredients are.

Dont worry already have! Thanks for checkin up tho
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

Hello friends

has anyone mentioned my favourite place

The Pitt St Vegetarian Yum Cha in the middle of Sydney on Pitt st across from the hilton hotel.

all vegan, I've taken meatatarians there and they go back all the time and take other people back themselves.

it open till about 9 or 10 at night

the yum cha starts at lunch time and goes till about 5pm then they stop for a while then open up with al a carte till late. I love it.

Antony
    Advance Australia Fair

Not sure if this has been added but RMIT in Swanston Street, Melb...
    has a food co op "Organarchy" in the cafeteria. They have vegan and organic food there

cross barer

Quote StmpyElephant
    Not sure if this has been added but RMIT in Swanston Street, Melb...
    has a food co op "Organarchy" in the cafeteria. They have vegan and organic food there
    Yeah if you can get there when they are open... probably not a problem for students but the ALV office is just up the hill and many times I've gone there and they were closed at about 2pm.

The same guy who does the awesome pastries supplies the co-op at Melbourne uni. Today I had a mushroom and tofu pie and I swear to god it tasted like a meat pie. I was a pastry chef for two weeks in a dead pie shop back in 95 so I know my meat pies mate, and I couldn't believe it.

D fkn licious!!!

Yum!! *mouthwaters*I always find it funny when you eat something and you wonder if it tastes like meat or it's just that you've adapted so much you think it does. I have that trouble with these wicked veggie chilli sausages you can get in the supermarket (and at pronto brontos...which I was CONVINCED they were giving us meat by mistake)

Haven't been to Melb Uni co op yet. I attend RMIT so I had a nice chat to the woman working there at the time...but will make my way around the co op scene eventually

I always eat those mushroom and tofu pies! How good are they!!!! I don't think it tastes like meat - more like a mushroom risotto to me!

cross barer

Tofu and mushroom rock!!!!
    I had planned to try the entire menu but I'm not sure I can go passed them in future.

Melb co-op is open later, till 4. They also have yummy spelt rolls etc and you can get a nice pot of fair trade tea to try and distract from the hideous noise of the whole building the food things are in.

I have to go the long way around to get to the co-op from the biology building because I hate walking past the sushi bar which reeks of fish... it's so gross.

OMG I know - I went to Melbourne uni for 2 years. You HAVE to try the veggie creations whole range - the spinach and potato roll is amazing, and so are their rice balls and potato balls - oh it is all good!

Are you anywhere near Malvern? Coz I know a place which has them. It is called Organically Grown on Glenferrie Road.

cross barer

No I'm a Norfy, in Brunswick. Theres an organic cafe in Clifton Hill who has them too. Take your credit card but, v expensive

You are lucky, Brunswick is so good for vegans. But I can't really complain - Elwood and St Kilda are pretty good too.

cross barer

I love Elwood, I'd really like to live around there... quiet leafy streets. When I first came to Melbourne I was house-sitting over there and while I have grown very fond of B'wick, I'd prefer a nice place with a nice yard to a flat or tiny little terrace!

Sorry, but lentil as anything is scungey and repulsive. I got a cold meal, my roti bread was oilier than my car engine and came 10 minutes late. The kitchen practices looked unhygeinic too. Ewww

cross barer

10 minutes late? At lentil as anything thats 20 minutes early!

Try Brunswick, es muy bien, not all crampy and poo.

No thanks. I think I will go to the vegie bar next time

Hello

has anyone mentioned "Peace Harmony" a new Vegan Thai restraunt that is on king st in sydney where it crosses with sussex st. It's only small but the food is great.

I go there for lunch some times. lotsa people come for takeaway

Antony
    green curry

Peace Harmony is a fantastic place to go and quite cheap too. I am drooling just thinking about their satay sticks!! Oh to be back in Sydney........................

MMMMmmm mebbe I'll go for lunch there soon, MMmmm real soon

Antony