Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

Here's a list for all the Sydney-siders to go through.

Vegetarian Friendly Restaurants in Sydney

Quote Roxy
    Here's a list for all the Sydney-siders to go through.

Vegetarian Friendly Restaurants in Sydney
    I've printed it out as there are a few I don't know about

whooo hoooo

antony

When I was in Sydney I tried a couple of curry places in Crow's Nest. The only reason we ate out in Crow's Nest was because that is where we were staying and they were easy to get to.

My brother was going to take us to that vegetarian yum cha place you have mentioned in another thread......but we just ran out of time.

In general, I found Sydney very expensive when it came to eating out.

Quote Roxy
    When I was in Sydney I tried a couple of curry places in Crow's Nest. The only reason we ate out in Crow's Nest was because that is where we were staying and they were easy to get to.

My brother was going to take us to that vegetarian yum cha place you have mentioned in another thread......but we just ran out of time.

In general, I found Sydney very expensive when it came to eating out.
    Yeah they reckon it's it's the most expensive city in the country to live in

I was just in darlinghurst havin a veggie burger and they say do you want the chilli wggie burger adn I say OK and then they say it's a dollar extra, and I say Uh Huh, whilst I'm thinking, "what the!!!" twas nice though, all macrobiotic and the like

chili Antony

that yum cha place is oooh oooow, MMMmmm mmmmMMMM try and make time next time, I work right right the corner from there.

Is it near the QVB? I went shopping there Bought some lovely essential oils from The Perfect Potion.

Quote Roxy
    Is it near the QVB? I went shopping there Bought some lovely essential oils from The Perfect Potion.
    It's one block across

The big street infront of QVB is George St the next across in parallel is Pitt St

it's a five minute walk

antony

Thanks Antony I know Pitt Street because of the Pitt Street Mall. I went up in that skytower thing there.

Quote Roxy
    Thanks Antony I know Pitt Street because of the Pitt Street Mall. I went up in that skytower thing there.
    Yeah what a view there is from up there, did you freak out?

Antony

Nah - no freaking out. They were beautiful views though! I really loved Sydney. Next time we are in Sydney we are planning to rent an apartment or stay in a hotel for a week to 10 days, in Manly. My boyfriend and I both really loved Manly.

This thread is just great.. Thanks all you guys.. I am going to Australia early next year in February - march (when it is summer there... wheeee) I get to beat the horrible British winter.!! I am going to use the information here for eating out. Great thread!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

cross barer

Quote Roxy
    Nah - no freaking out. They were beautiful views though! I really loved Sydney. Next time we are in Sydney we are planning to rent an apartment or stay in a hotel for a week to 10 days, in Manly. My boyfriend and I both really loved Manly.
    Manly, or as Sydney folk call it, "Blacktown by the Sea" is a nice place to visit.

Quote adam antichrist
    Manly, or as Sydney folk call it, "Blacktown by the Sea" is a nice place to visit.
    They have a ghost tour at Manly, I been on it twice, it is in an old hospital that is on the North Head of the harbour, they used to keep people there in case they had any diseases before they let them into the community what do they call that thing.... ah yes the manly quarantine station. It's great fun if you don't believe in ghosts and if you do you'll be freeeeaking out. I toool my neices the second time, 13 yrs old, where they spooked. But I was the tough uncle cause I don't think there are any ghosts and I walked into all the dark rooms and tunnels first. They give you lamps to carry round as it is pitch black (they do it at night) so it's not a restraunt but it's a bit of fun.

I came back to edit and putthis link in that I found

http://www.paranormalaustralia.com/tours/qstation.html

antony wooo hooo hoo hooooo whoooo hooo hooooo

My brother has done that ghost tour twice and his girlfriend wet her pants a little bit the last time that they went because she got such a fright when doors in the shower block started slamming by themselves!!!!

We did the ghost tour through The Rocks. It wasn't scary like the Quarantine Station one, but it was very informative and great if you like to know about the history of the area. We also got to to inside a building where there is an archeological dig going on in the basement. It was soooo interesting!

Yesterday I went for lunch at this new place in High Street Armadale called Erthfoods. Not vegetarian/vegan, but VERY vegan friendly and very accomodating. They have vegan choccie cake, polenta slice, potato pizza amongst many other stuff. I had a yummy lentil-chickpea burger, minus the mayo but with ketchup. The stuff is all whole foods and mostly organic. They also have fresh squeezed sugar cane juice, but I passed on that coz I had a filling a few weeks ago

Quote Banana
    Yesterday I went for lunch at this new place in High Street Armadale called Erthfoods. Not vegetarian/vegan, but VERY vegan friendly and very accomodating. They have vegan choccie cake, polenta slice, potato pizza amongst many other stuff. I had a yummy lentil-chickpea burger, minus the mayo but with ketchup. The stuff is all whole foods and mostly organic. They also have fresh squeezed sugar cane juice, but I passed on that coz I had a filling a few weeks ago
    How cool, I pass through there once in a while on the way to rels in QLD and the only place I could ever find was that berry place outside twon but since they changed hands a few years ago they stopped having things that we would want to eat. I'll have to try this place next time I am up that way

Antony

Armadale in Melbourne. I know many other states have Armadales too

Quote Banana
    Armadale in Melbourne. I know many other states have Armadales too
    oh well, i was excited

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but worth a reminder!

Adelaiders:

The Lizard Lounge on Hindley street does a vegan curry and a vegan(ised) nacho dish is available too

also, I've been eating a lot at the Vegetarian Garden in Mansions arcade just off Pulteney street recently and it's totally vegan and so convenient (for me at least, as a student). but very unhealthy, deepfriend etc. But when you're cold and hungry, that doesn't matter one bit!

I took my mum a curry from the Pure Vegan stall the other day for lunch, and she held up the gluten steak and said "WHAT is this???" She had a very hard time believing it was vegan I love my ma

bjorn again veg

Also near Adelaide is 'Golden Nature' on Beach Road, Christies Beach.

Fully vegan eatery & grocery. Well priced nice meals, they do not use any animal products at all in their cooking (they do not even use onion or garlic)
    Friendly staff & the owner does free cooking demo's (my kids loved the veg patties he taught me how to make)
    Thoroughly recommend it (I have no commercial link to the business)

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia..(tasmnia??)

Heh, as im travelling round Australia I shall me needing much advice when I visit new places....Melbourne is SO vegan friendly its untrue! Its a shame my mates insist on eating at meat places SO much....!! Have discovered vegans unite so all is good...Am off to Tasmania in 2 weeks, gonna travel around there till christmas...anyone know of any good Tassie Vegan friendly places???
    All help much appriciated...this forum has already been much help for when I head to Sidney in the new year....

There is a new Vegetarian restaurant opened in King St Newtown which is in Metropolitan Sydney for those out of towners. It's called GREEN PALACE. Most of the menu items looked vegan to me and they did very nice things with the veges. Which is an important thing I think.

Antony

Bendigo has bugger all. The veg cafes have closed - Findings and wholesome bean (no longer veg). Even Castlemaine nearby's veg restaurant 'the screaming carrot' has closed.

We now have nothing so it is yours truely's ambition to open one in the future. There must be more veg*ns than just me in this town

New veg*n cafe in Katoomba NSW

Niche Nosh Vegetarian Cafe

Eat in, takeaway & catering
    10 Katoomba Street
    Katoomba

Phone 02 4782 1622

Vegetarian and vegan meals.
    Closed Mondays
    Tues to Fri 11:00am to dinnner.
    Sat & Sun 9.00am to dinner.< br>
    No EFTPOS or credit cards at this time.

Reservations not necessary but going on how busy it was last Saturday, I would recommend it. They have a vegan pie-of-the-day and the three types that I have had so far have been terrific.

Thumbs up Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

Theres a vegan cafe in Brisbane called The Forest - Its mostly organic and all the food is vegan and super tasty, with a high emphasis on nutrition and food combining, as well as offering gluten free choices. It has a very relaxed atmosphere with nice tunes playing as well as live music and soon with certified organic booze...!

Is a spoon.

Quote Imapeach
    The Lizard Lounge on Hindley street does a vegan curry and a vegan(ised) nacho dish is available too
    Yes! The Lizard Lounge is a great place! They're very accommodating, have great deals, food and live music. They really need support too, they have been very close to shutting down for a while now. I definitely suggest the Lizard Lounge.

Is it just me or are they moving a few blocks west down Hindley st?

A big thumbs down to Emilias vegetarian restaurant in North Curl Curl - NSW. Bad service, boring food, very few vegan options, salads consist of lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. On the pricey side.

The Blue Tongue Lizard Cafe in Glenbrook (NSW - Blue Mountains) has a few vegan options including satay tofu sticks. Generous servings. Ask for the vegan date scones. If they don't have 'em fresh, they'll be in the freezer. Good prices.

Went to Zenergy (Sydney - forget the street - near the Town Hall) for the first time in a year. Used to work just around the corner - it was great. New owners but it was exactly the same. They have too many vegan options to list and their menu and labels clearly state which is which. Partial to the salads and Shepherd's pie.

I love pizza

Plush on Burwood road is great and
    Pizza Piazza on Chapel Street are fantastic
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

Soulmama all the way! I have been going there for years, even before I was vegan, Its a really great place to take meat eatters, I find there are no complants (after they have tried the food that is!). The staff there have also always been helpful and friendly too.

Finally made it to Las Vegan Bakery today, tried an eggplant calzone and a lemon ginger muffin, mmm, also went to Lentil as Anthing and was disapointed, i ordered my meal sans yoghurt and sure enough a huge dollop of creamy white cow pus on my plate i asked him to get it off and then he bought my meal bac and it was like half the size of the first one, grrr... Tomorrrow night i am taking a group of my omni friends to the Veggiebar, mmm i can feel my pants getting tight just thinking about it... Oh well i only get to these places once in a bluemoon why not splurge, hehe

Bah! Melbournians and your culinary indulgences! You think you're sooooo good just because you have access to such yummy food!

*hides jealousy's ugly head*

Can someone tell me if the Spudbar is still next to Lentil as Anything in St. Kilda? Those potatoes were HUGE! Highly doubt they were organic

Nope, I went to lentil as today and to my shock and dismay the spud bar was gone!! *tear* they were sooo good, i love baked potato, i don't know what happened, they always seemed to have business, but something else has moved in there...

I'm too poor to eat out dammit... :|

SOULMAMA! I love that place, it's like a big beautiful temple, the staff are really friendly, the view is amazing and the food is better than any other vego spot I've been to. And St Kilda is so much more relaxed than the city.
    I love eating out at vego places, to support them whenever I can. But I was with omni friends the other night and we went to Longgrain in Little Bourke St, which is surprisingly veg-friendly for such a fancy place! I had this beautiful green papaya salad with lime and peanuts... mmm. There were 3 or 4 other vegan options. It's kinda pricey for the omnis - as it should be, the lives of poor little fishies don't have a dollar value - but if you're veg it's not so exp. I think it's worthwhile trying to encourage mainstream places which offer serious vego options, even if it means sharing a table with corpses.
    My other fave place is the Moroccan Soup Bar in St Georges Road, North Fitzroy, which others have probably already raved about on this thread.

Thanks for the Niche Nosh suggestion above (Katoomba NSW). I saw it on this thread and checked it out. It's not prohibitively far from my house and I had a really great 'recovery burger' and cake. Will definitely try the takeaway curries etc. next.

From the posts above, I think I need another trip to Melbourne.

Quote abrennan
    There is a new Vegetarian restaurant opened in King St Newtown which is in Metropolitan Sydney for those out of towners. It's called GREEN PALACE. Most of the menu items looked vegan to me and they did very nice things with the veges. Which is an important thing I think.

Antony
    Yes, I definitely recommend the thai restaurant Green Palace in Newtown. The chef there recently volunteered in cooking all the meals at a recent three day retreat that I went on. The food was AMAZING!
    Thai food for breakfast, lunch and dinner......heaven.

We now have nothing so it is yours truely's ambition to open one in the future. There must be more veg*ns than just me in this town [/quote]

Yeah, and in the surounding towns, there must be a way to find out how many people are veg in bendgo and surounding areas. I'd ask the last people that closed down...Why did they close? maybe they were just moving or something? also maybe the council may have some numbers? You should open one up, Ill eat there! Come down from Maldon when ever I'm there!

Last night I took my partener and my son to "vegetarian nirvana cafe" in Richmond. It was great, it was Indian food (which I have always been a fan) but it wasnt too spicy, sometimes the spice can scare people away from Indian food, My son ate his dinner and my partener claimed it was the best Indian he had ever had!! pretty good!!! Also it had a really carm and family feel to the place. I'll be back for sure!!!!

heyo
    going to aus in 5 weeks, sooo excited!
    not sure who to ask about this, but may i suggest if at all possible refining this list down a little bit more, to states perhaps...
    australia is HUGE, and especially for a newbie, going thru this many threads would be crazy to try and find a place to eat in the area one was currently in.
    otherwise, no worries. i'm just glad there are this many places to eat to begin with

Thumbs up Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

Had a nice experience the other day at Indochine Thai/Malay restaurant in Glenelg, SA. Not vegetarian but they went out of their way to accommodate me - I picked something which they said was vegan and then the waiter came back and told me that there was fish stock in it and suggested two other things I could choose instead! Gosh - that was service indeed! So highly recommend Indochine.
    Bronny

Quote lulu View Post
    heyo
    going to aus in 5 weeks, sooo excited!
    not sure who to ask about this, but may i suggest if at all possible refining this list down a little bit more, to states perhaps...
    australia is HUGE, and especially for a newbie, going thru this many threads would be crazy to try and find a place to eat in the area one was currently in.
    otherwise, no worries. i'm just glad there are this many places to eat to begin with
    lulu - if you are in Adelaide, may I suggest:

Sprouts in Hindmarsh Square, central Adelaide - my favourite!
    Bliss Organic Cafe - Compton St, near Central Market (only open during the day and Frid nights I think)
    Vego and Lovin' It - Rundle St East, central Adelaide (open during the day and I think Friday nights)
    Joy Discovery - Rundle St East - day only
    Sarah's Sister's - Semaphore (near the beach, north west of Adelaide) - you need to ring and tell them you're vegan first as it's a "set menu" - 3 courses for a set price - these change from day to day though.
    Vegetarian Delight - Port Road, Hindmarsh (not far from the city) - Buddhist - lots of seitan choices

Bronny

Rainbow Silence Heart
    Bridge road, Richmond, Melbourne.
    It's vegetarian, run by Sri Chrimnoy followers. But the food is very homestyle and the place is very clean and the people who run it friendly. They always have vegan stuff there as well
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

Gormet Embrace- Mornington, my bestie took me there on my b'day i had a really yummy plate of falafel, salad and hummus with gluten free turkish bread, and my bestie had a sweet potato rostie stack, looked yummy except it had yoghurt and a poached egg on top :O, very vegan accomodating, definately a keeper!

hey aussie friends....

im on holiday in oz right now...

i know its been a while since i posted, ive been working my butt off for this vacation....

im in sydney right now and ive been having a ok time finding vegan foods. i did run into a health food grocery & a whole foods restaurant, but it seems as though downtown sydney isnt as vegan friendly as i would like to imagine... (theres almost nowhere that is THAT vegan friendly! )

anyway, ive been staying in glebe for the past few days, im moving on to the bondi area tommorow for another three days, then i am travling up the coast...

i guess i just wanted to know if (in your humble australian opinions) there was anywhere i should stop, anything i should see, any good vegan foods in the costal towns in NSW & queensland?

im having tons of fun btw.
    ive already surfed, climbed the harbor bridge, and im signed up for skydiving & a couple more surf lessons later this week!

thanks guys & gals!!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

are you comming down to melbourne at all? There are quite a few vegan places down here, plus we have the cruelty free expo on Oct 8th which is like "vegan big day out"!!

aw darn, i wish i were coming to melbourne now!

i planned my trip up from sydney to the cairns area...

unfortunatly, i dont have enough time to do the whole country, i wish i did!

that sounds really awesome though.

ive been having an ok time finding places to eat.

there was this extremly awesome place in Katooma (up in the blue mountins) that was literally like my favorite food EVER.
    i was so excited about the food i ordered two dishes and ate the other one for lunch the next day.

(i get like that at vegan places... its so nice to not worry about what im eating!)

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

jjd, you ask "if there was anywhere i should stop, anything i should see, any good vegan foods in the costal towns in NSW & queensland?"

I live in a coastal Qld town, and if you find somewhere suitable, would you please tell me? Actually I've just remembered that there is a Qld coastal town called Eumundi, where there is a market on Wednesdays and Saturdays, it's 2 or 3 hrs journey for me so I don't go there often. But when I do, I stock up on tofu dishes, tempehs of various flavours, etc. Anyway, all the best, and before you leave Sydney, please go to one of the Green Gourmet vegan restaurants, the Sydney one has a little vegan grocery shop next door. It is at 115 King St, Newtown. Phone 9519-5330.
    Eve

thanks will be getting over there in a few months.
    in the meantime, eating from the markets and a tiny organic store in the gold coast - if there is anyone else over here who knows of any restaurants/stores/etc, please let me know!!!

Quote bronny View Post
    lulu - if you are in Adelaide, may I suggest:

Sprouts in Hindmarsh Square, central Adelaide - my favourite!
    Bliss Organic Cafe - Compton St, near Central Market (only open during the day and Frid nights I think)
    Vego and Lovin' It - Rundle St East, central Adelaide (open during the day and I think Friday nights)
    Joy Discovery - Rundle St East - day only
    Sarah's Sister's - Semaphore (near the beach, north west of Adelaide) - you need to ring and tell them you're vegan first as it's a "set menu" - 3 courses for a set price - these change from day to day though.
    Vegetarian Delight - Port Road, Hindmarsh (not far from the city) - Buddhist - lots of seitan choices

Bronny

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    aw darn, i wish i were coming to melbourne now!

there was this extremly awesome place in Katooma (up in the blue mountins) that was literally like my favorite food EVER.
    i was so excited about the food i ordered two dishes and ate the other one for lunch the next day.

(i get like that at vegan places... its so nice to not worry about what im eating!)

Oooh..I love the Blue Mountains. Do you remember the name of the place?
    Thanks.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Morocan soup bar, in St.Georges Road North Fitzroy. It is one of the best places i have ever eaten at. For $15 a person you get a two course banquet and i have never left there not feeling so full i could burst. The food is simple but tasty, including the first course of dips and bread and the second course of cous cous, lentils, salad, rice etc. The menu is verbal and the place has a vibrant up beat feel. Just make sure you get there early or late ie before 6 or after 9 as its always hard to get a table.
    "tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are"