Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

so, there's a lot of listings & discussion of veg*n eateries in melbourne, sydney, adelaide...anyone know of any in perth???!

Will this be useful for you? http://perthvegans.veghost.com/
    Eve

and.... goldcoast?!

Is a spoon.

I really want to go back to Melbourne, mainly for Lord Of The Fries. I remember I got chips there, but didn't realise the burgers were vegan and delicious.

http://www.lordofthefries.com.au/burgers.php

Their burgers are not vegan, they contain cheese and there's cream and mayonnaise. have you checked out http://www.vnv.org.au/RestFriendly.htm ?
    Eve

Talking Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in Canberra, Australia

Canberra has two great Vegan Asian restuarants in the suburb of Dickson: Au Lac and Kingsland. Just don't order soup at Au Lac as you will literally get a bucketful.

Zenyai restuarant in London Circuit, Civic is very vegan-friendly and has great tofu dishes.

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    there was this extremly awesome place in Katooma (up in the blue mountins) that was literally like my favorite food EVER.
    i was so excited about the food i ordered two dishes and ate the other one for lunch the next day.
    Did you mean:

Quote Dalron View Post
    New veg*n cafe in Katoomba NSW

Niche Nosh Vegetarian Cafe

Eat in, takeaway & catering
    10 Katoomba Street
    Katoomba

Phone 02 4782 1622

Vegetarian and vegan meals.
    Closed Mondays
    Tues to Fri 11:00am to dinnner.
    Sat & Sun 9.00am to dinner.< br>
    No EFTPOS or credit cards at this time.

Reservations not necessary but going on how busy it was last Saturday, I would recommend it. They have a vegan pie-of-the-day and the three types that I have had so far have been terrific.
    Quote insubordination View Post
    A big thumbs down to Emilias vegetarian restaurant in North Curl Curl - NSW. Bad service, boring food, very few vegan options, salads consist of lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. On the pricey side.
    And I have heard this a few times now I wanted to try it as it is so close to me, but I don't think I will.

Started to post a msg but it disappeared! Just wanted to say that I had lunch at a vegan restaurant in Brisbane yesterday, The Forest in the West End. Everything there was vegan, and I was there with our Roxie from Canada as well as Maureen, Sec of the Veggie/Vegan Soc of Qld. Great food.
    Eve

Quote blue-and-yellow View Post
    I really want to go back to Melbourne, mainly for Lord Of The Fries. I remember I got chips there, but didn't realise the burgers were vegan and delicious.

http://www.lordofthefries.com.au/burgers.php
    Quote eve View Post
    Their burgers are not vegan, they contain cheese and there's cream and mayonnaise. have you checked out http://www.vnv.org.au/RestFriendly.htm ?
    I went to Melbourne a couple of months ago and went there - the standard burgers there are vegan if you ask for it without the cheese and mayo (or just ask for a vegan burger...). We went there a few times (I think hubby was addicted!!), and loved it, although I found the chips a bit salty for me, but still nice. And there is the health food store a few doors down that had loads of amazing vegan stuff, including some vegan cakes!

OH greAT! I am going to get fat now My uni is down the street from lord of the fries and I LOVE vegie burgers and fries!

I've just come back from Tassie and was very disappointed with the veg*n eateries. My expectations are not overly high as I like most of you probably, have been disappointed on many occasions. I tried 'Nourish' in Elizabeth St. Ordered sauteed mushrroms with lentils and sourdough bread. It appeared to be tinned lentils with 2 pieces of mushrooms in it and tasteless. The water melon juice was nice. They also served chicken there, which I thought odd for a vegetarian place!! Other veggie options I tried elsewhere were equally disappointing. I was surprised as Tassie has such wonderful produce.

You damn mainlanders get all the good stuff! anyone know of a vegan place in hobart?
    There's a vegetarian restaurant called Sirens in town, i think on Victoria street which comes off Collins, but i've never been there.

Quote weasel View Post
    You damn mainlanders get all the good stuff! anyone know of a vegan place in hobart?
    There's a vegetarian restaurant called Sirens in town, i think on Victoria street which comes off Collins, but i've never been there.
    These are what my research turned up NB some say they are v*n but only serve some v*n options.
    Hobart Noodle: Asian, noodle, vegetarian.
    Latte & Lunch: Gluten free, vegetarian.
    Nourish Cafeelizabeth st) Vegetarian
    Shamrock hotel: some veg options
    Sirens: vegetarian/vegan
    Shu Yuan: chinese, vegan/vegetarian (lunch only)
    Gift Loung Bar & restaurant:vegetarian cafe.

If you're ever up in Brisbane, I can recomend the Forest Cafe. Eve and I enjoyed a lovely lunch there, and I even went back a couple more times

How was your meeting? I'd love to meet Eve in person, but sadly since my mum moved down to Victoria I no longer get up that way much!

hi treehugga, guess we'll just have to meet here on the VF! - love your avatar - do you look like her?
    Eve

Quote treehugga View Post
    How was your meeting? I'd love to meet Eve in person, but sadly since my mum moved down to Victoria I no longer get up that way much!

Our meeting was so much fun! I love Eve and all of her wonderful stories I really do hope you'll get to meet her one day.

Quote eve View Post
    hi treehugga, guess we'll just have to meet here on the VF! - love your avatar - do you look like her?
    I tried to base my avatar on myself, but i was a bit flattering of course.
    my long wavey hair is now short (but growing again).
    There are pics of me on here somewhere, don't have any up to daters - camera shy!
    Sounds like you two had a great catch up. I'd would be interesting to meet people in the flesh & compare how they are to your impression of them.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Our meeting was so much fun! I love Eve and all of her wonderful stories I really do hope you'll get to meet her one day.
    I will one day travel up the coast and harrass Eve to meet me along the way!

Hey guys and gals,

I'm planning a short holiday to Brisbane at the end of March - I'm staying in fortitude valley. Are there any places any brissie vegans would recommend highly? I'm looking forward to eating out at vegie restaurants and trying to find vegie health food shops. any ideas?
    Thanks!!
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

Quote Roxy View Post
    If you're ever up in Brisbane, I can recomend the Forest Cafe. Eve and I enjoyed a lovely lunch there, and I even went back a couple more times
    Give the Forest Cafe a go. I really liked it there. It's nearby-ish in West End. If you get on a train, you could get off at South Brisbane Station and walk from there, or take a bus to Boundary Street. There's a really nice Juice Bar accross the street too in a little fruit shop. They make awesome fresh juices.

Quote stickydate View Post
    I also forgot to mention, across the street from the Vegie Bar, is a place called Trampoline. It is an ice cream shop that has VEGAN SORBET - the most delicious vegan sorbet too!!!!

Likewise, on Acland Street, St Kilda is another ice cream shop with vegan sorbet. It is called Seven Apples. I haven't been there before but I went in and asked after I discovered that Trampoline was vegan (I thought that there was hope after all!!!)

I went to Trampoline the other day for the first time in a couple years (after dinner at Vegie Bar) and found out the "dairy-free" sorbet is no longer vegan. It apparently contains a small amount of dairy now.

Poo.

I had dinner at the Veggie Bar Fri night & it was great. I had the kofta's followed by the vegan pizza - yum. Then had breaky at the Veg place in Smith St and it was fab as well. You Melbournites are sooo spoiled!!!

You can always check out http://www.vegsoc.org.au/restaurants.asp - I've heard that the Govindas at 99 Elizabeth St is well worth a visit. I'm going to be in Brissie on the weekend of 19/20 July and hope to find a place that provides good vegan food.
    Eve

Do they still have Squirrels up there Eve? I haven't been up there for years, so not sure. I rarely get to Melbourne either, as I live 2 hours away but will note your suggestion as a try next time! There's also some places I'd like to try in Richmond. Would ask Sticky about them but I don't see her on here anymore

No, squirrels closed, and not before time in my view.
    Eve

Oh that bad eh?

hey all, in tasmania in the north:
    Fresh is a veg cafe in Launceston, they have a few vegan options inc a vegan muffin, and some nights do dinners. They also do vegan hot chocolates (only place in Launceston!) and vegan milkshakes with soy icecream There's a place in town call Red Peppers, and they do a apricot slice and lentil burger that are both vegan, along with a soup. There are a couple of restaurants that have a vegan option here too, as well as a vegan pie and spring rolls available at some of the healthfood shops. There is vegan sushi available at Morty's food complex with tofu, but it's served through the seafood place. If you travel inland you hit Deloraine, which has a good health food shop. Launceston seems much better for the vegans than Hobart.
    In Hobart, at the salamanca markets, there is a tas company making organic breads, a few are vegan, and the Retro cafe in Salamanca does a wicked huge vegan veggie burger. The health coop also do veg food, and I think there is food not bombs held every tuesday There's a place south of Hobart, in Kingston, that does a vegan chocolate cake, and if you continue down to Huon you'll find the Huon Environment Centre, with an organic cafe with good vegan foods and sweets.
    On the West Coast it's best to take your own food, we get tinned Amy's soups down here, and I've taken this with me before and had them heat that up for me at the restaurant when travelling with others. (This would seem strange in any other state, I know). In the north west, Penguin on the coast has the penguin cafe on the main road which has the afore mentioned vegan pie that they offer. Penguin has a weekly Sunday market, and here you'll find the Green Penguin, a big one stop vegan food store with recycled paper products and heaps of organic stuffs.
    On the east coast, there are a couple of health foods shops St Helens way, but not such in the cafe way.

Both Hobart and Launceston have wholefood stores, now stocking vegan cheeses, fresh produce, chocolates, and pretty much everything we need. Tas has come along way in the last few years!

Ah, sorry for the long post. I've been vegan down here for 6 years, so I'm well travelled! LOL Although still very rural, vegans really can survive down here quiet well, as long as they can stay warm

thanks so much wilhelmina! wow launy does sound heaps better than hobart, i wouldn't have expected it, but i'll be sure to visit some of those places next time i'm up north. chocolate cake in kingo sounds awesome too! thanks again

scotch&dry

Quote Wilhelmina View Post
    In Hobart, at the salamanca markets, there is a tas company making organic breads, a few are vegan, and the Retro cafe in Salamanca does a wicked huge vegan veggie burger. The health coop also do veg food, and I think there is food not bombs held every tuesday There's a place south of Hobart, in Kingston, that does a vegan chocolate cake, and if you continue down to Huon you'll find the Huon Environment Centre, with an organic cafe with good vegan foods and sweets.
    Huon Environment Centre?! I've never heard of this wonderous place - and I live in Huonville! Do englighten! Also, I've never been to the Retro cafe ... I have much to learn!

great info wil. I wish I'd known that b/r my trip.

!! www.huon.org/ They have fresh produce, a few groceries, a small store out the back and a cafe too and big vegan muffins:

Huon Valley Environment Centre Inc:
    We are a grassroots, volunteer run, not-for-profit charity based in the Huon Valley, Southern Tasmania. The environment centre is based in Huonville, 40 minutes south of Tasmania's capital Hobart.
    We have an eco-shop that sells all kinds of environmentally aware products - 'no sweat' soccer balls and shoes, recycled paper products, 'no sweat' clothing hand printed with local designs, wilderness cards, diaries and calenders, stickers, incense, and much more! - loads of information about local, national and international environmental issues, community workshop space, a campaign office, library, and gardens.

3/17 Wilmot Road
    Huonville. Tasmania. Australia. 7109
    Phone: 03 6264 1286

retro cafe is awesome , but i never knew their vegie burgers were vegan! i dont often travel down to the huon area though, but next time for sure i'll check it out. let me know if it's worth going to if you end up paying it a visit.

I've visited the centre before, it's worth popping into if you're in the area. There are alot of good people doing some amazing forest protection work there as well

Gaura Nitai's in Cairns. It's a vegetarian Hare Krishna restaurant but it has a few vegan options and they are in.cred.i.ble. I take omni's there and they love it. It's my weapon for showing them that the best tasting food doesn't have to have meat... Yummmmmm

Quote tresu View Post
    Gaura Nitai's in Cairns. It's a vegetarian Hare Krishna restaurant but it has a few vegan options and they are in.cred.i.ble. I take omni's there and they love it. It's my weapon for showing them that the best tasting food doesn't have to have meat... Yummmmmm

Ive heard great things about this place from my brother. Will have to check it out one day!

Basil Pizza has vegan pizza bases, guten free bases and now offers Cheezly and Cheetin' Pepperoni.

Naked Espresso is Sydney's first all-vegan cafe, open Sat and Sunday. All the equipment and cutlery were purchased new for the cafe, as was the coffee machine and it has only been used for soy milk.

Both are located at 126 King St, Newtown.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

stefans pizza

come over to stefans pizza, 47 Civic Parade, Altona, vic 3018. try our vegan pizza. you won't be disappointed. gluteen free pizzas are available as well. open thursday. friday and saturday, 5:30pm to late.

I went to Rider on Saturday night, it's a Mexican restaurant located above the Hopetoun Hotel in Surry Hills, Sydney.

On their menu (that you can view on their website) it says "Vegan or Gluten intolerant? All diets catered for" so I was happy to go along when a friend decided to have his b'day there. We had the banquet and they bought me out my own plates for each dish, we had corn chips with guacamole and salsa, then grilled corn (delicious), then I had a burrito (very yummo) when everyone else had quesadillas and then soft tacos, which were a bit plain. They finished with churros and I ate the fresh strawberries that came with them

On Saturday night we went to Yulli's for my b'day. It's at 417 Crown St, Surry Hills NSW.

It's a bar & restaurant run by a vege couple. All the food is vegetarian and most of it can be made vegan with lots of gluten free options.

We had spring rolls, dumplings, salt n pepper tofu, dolmades, baby burritos, the mixed chip plate and a salad, all of it was fantastic!

In Melbourne, the Hare Krishnas have 2 vegetarian restaurants: Crossways , which serves simple dishes and Govinda's of the more fancy kind. They are vegetarians but if you are familiar with the dishes you would know which ones are vegans or you can ask obviously. They are both located in Swanston St, Melb.

Also another vegetarian restau is the Lentil as Anything. They have branches in Abbotsford, St. Kilda and Footscray. They dont charge you fix price, you pay what you think is the worth of the stuff. Sounds interesting, yeah
    Respect for all living entities

I went to Vegie Hut for the first time last week. It was great and my omni SO was enthusiastic about the mock meat and veggies on offer. I have no idea where monkey head mushrooms have been all my life, but they're gonna stay in it now!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Another good restaurant in the Melbourne area that is so devoted to flavour and innovation in cooking is the Healthy, Wealthy and Wise restaurant located in Keilor. You wont see mock turkey or seitan chicken served there but only first rate innovative vegan cuisine.
    Respect for all living entities

This has most likely already been mentioned, but I ate at the Vegie Bar last night (in Melbourne) and it was AMAZING! I couldn't believe the turnover of the place, it was so busy and the food was absolutely divine. I can't wait to go back again

Quote Jivattatva View Post
    Another good restaurant in the Melbourne area that is so devoted to flavour and innovation in cooking is the Healthy, Wealthy and Wise restaurant located in Keilor. You wont see mock turkey or seitan chicken served there but only first rate innovative vegan cuisine.
    Thanks, this is really close to where I live. Whereabouts in Keilor is it?

Quote eve View Post
    In Sydney, there are two 100 percent vegan restaurants, Green Gourmet. The brother and sister who run the restaurants, and the vegan grocery store adjoining the one at Newtown, are lovely people, and the food is delicious. The other Green Gourmet is at St Leonards. Phone numbers are 02-9519 5330, and 02-9439 6533.
    Funky Pies in Bondi is all vegan, mostly pies, the pastry is delish, they also have cakes n slices, and some vegan products in a fridge

Bondi Burrito co (nth Bondi) has a realy yumm roast vegie tofu burrito, it's big.

Quote Miel Miette View Post
    Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen is in Pitt St, Sydney, and utterly fantastic. It is 100% vegan.

Blue ???? Can't remember the name right now, I'll post it later, but FANTASITC mostly vegan (uses honey) restaurant in Chinatown, Sydney. Mmmmm.....
    Blue Ocean?
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/

Quote Imapeach View Post
    *D-Tox Me, on hindley street -- expensive and not vego, but organic!
    *The Clearlight, on Rundle st -- wholefoods and takeaway
    *Joy Discovery, next door to clearlight -- run by hare krishnas!
    *Sprouts , on Hindmarsh sq. --- veg*n restaurant
    *Bliss, on Compton st, just across from the central markets -- very cute place
    *Quiet Waters, on hindley -- lebanese restaurant
    *Foods for Life, Rundle Mall --- health food store with great takeaway and wholefoods
    *Drift cafe, Morphett St, just around the corner from the markets --- my favourite cafe in the world.
    Also in Adelaide:

*Vegetarian Delight
    *Vego'n'lovin it
    *Zenhouse tea garden
    *Eggless dessert cafe

All wonderful Vegan friendly places.