Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

RubyDuby

Default Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

cake stand. that makes sense.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Oooh everyone's things look so yummy!

I love baking but I find my vegan cakes come out a bit...thick? I can't get them to be 'fluffy' like non-vegan cakes and it makes me sad. The cakes are still yummy but I don't like how heavy they are. Any advice? Am I putting too much liquid in or something?

Quote Mollfie View Post
    Oooh everyone's things look so yummy!

I love baking but I find my vegan cakes come out a bit...thick? I can't get them to be 'fluffy' like non-vegan cakes and it makes me sad. The cakes are still yummy but I don't like how heavy they are. Any advice? Am I putting too much liquid in or something?
    Mollfie, which recipe(s) are you using? I find the VCTOTW vanilla recipe a bit 'dense' and not as fluffy as the choc recipe. I usually leave out the cornstarch and add a wee bit more oil/fat, and that does the trick.
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

I got the VCTOTW book for my birthday, made the tiramisu cupcakes at the weekend.....

OMG. They were INCREDIBLE. My veggie boyf. was in awe. The vanilla cupcake recipe is really impressive, and the tiramisu/icing combo was amazing.

There's that kate moss quote- 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'. She obviously never had those cupcakes.

Beautiful photos, everyone!

dear lord i just made the blueberry lemon creme cupcakes (page 136). they have turned my world upside down. just to die for!

My copy of VCTOTW arrived a couple of days ago and have just made my first cupcakes, vanilla cupcake and buttercream icing.

I now know that buying this book was a big mistake because they are really really good and I have no willpower to speak of. Will ask hubby to hide the the remaining cakes or I won't be able to fit into my clothes tommorrow!!
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

"I now know that buying this book was a big mistake because they are really really good and I have no willpower to speak of. Will ask hubby to hide the the remaining cakes or I won't be able to fit into my clothes tommorrow!! "

Lol!! I feel absolutely the same way! I put off buying this book for years subconsciously knowing that I would love it and would want to make cupcakes all the time!

Just a warning, there is a LOT of sugar in these things, esp. the icing. Having more than one in a day can make you feel quite ill. Well, it did me. I knew there was a reason I usually stay away from these type of things.
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

I have the book and have made various recipes, all very successful I NEVER make the icing though - too much sugar like you say. Plus I like to let the taste of the cupcakes themselves shine through - for me icing is just unnecessary.

Ooooooooh! Now I have a craving for cupcakes!! Darn ................ Must.Buy.Book.
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

Hehe, I wouldn't buy it if I were you, you will want to make them all the time! I love every cupcake I made out of the book so far and I've made A LOT!! From someone who's been there..

Naww ....... still want cupcakes!!
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

I had a bit of a cupcake craving and I've just made the maple cupcakes, they're delicious! You have to be really careful with the nutmeg though, it's easily overdone, it's a flavour better in the background than foreground. I've made the icing as well and I've decided for most of these cupcakes to just make half or a third because all that icing is making me a bit nautious. Otherwise another fantastic recipe in the book!

Quote khadagan View Post
    I had a bit of a cupcake craving and I've just made the maple cupcakes, they're delicious! You have to be really careful with the nutmeg though, it's easily overdone, it's a flavour better in the background than foreground. I've made the icing as well and I've decided for most of these cupcakes to just make half or a third because all that icing is making me a bit nautious. Otherwise another fantastic recipe in the book!
    You actually do have to be careful with nutmeg, considering you could kill someone with a couple of tablespoons of it.

Quote Owlish View Post
    You actually do have to be careful with nutmeg, considering you could kill someone with a couple of tablespoons of it.
    Lol, are you sure about this? At University my partner tried to get high of the stuff and they bought a kilogram of it. the ate it, smoked it, used loads of it in food and they're all still walking.. The only thing that happened was that smoking it was really disgusting, the food was disgusting and the worst apparantly was eating loads of it raw hehe

Quote Owlish View Post
    Please think before you post certain information. Nutmeg poisoning results from doses of over 25g (see this link), but since all recipes I've ever come across (and I've been baking for the best part of thirty years) ask for a pinch or at most a teaspoon for the whole recipe, why post this kind of information at all? All you are doing is scaring people unnecessarily. Or if you feel it's vital people know about it, at least try to be as accurate as possible, rather than providing vague statements such as "you could kill someone with a couple of tablespoons of it."

Interesting link. I didn't know about any dangers using nutmeg. Also very interesting what they said about the Dutch being the only ones that were exporting nutmeg at some point from Indonesia. I know nutmeg was wildly popular in Holland for a long time. I'm Dutch and as long as I can remember when I was little and we visited older relatives for dinner the only spice they had in their cupboards was nutmeg. Nutmeg and salt actually, although salt is probably not a spice. They never used any other spices, not even black pepper. You'll still find it sometimes in Holland that older people will only have nutmeg and salt in their cupboards and nothing else in terms of spices. It all makes sense now!

I made the pistachio-rose water cookies for a party and had multiple requests for the recipe. Served on a bed of rose petals and added some pink crystal sprinkles- so pretty. The choc-raspberry cookies are a hit with my older kids.

Sorry should have been in veganomicon thread. the Boston brownie cupcakes are very popular with omnis and keep really well. I personally love the carrot.

Quote CarrieK View Post
    I made the pistachio-rose water cookies for a party and had multiple requests for the recipe. Served on a bed of rose petals and added some pink crystal sprinkles- so pretty. The choc-raspberry cookies are a hit with my older kids.
    This recipe is from the Veganomicon? I love the pistachio-rose water cupcakes from the book, but now that you're saying this I think I'm going to have to get the Veganomicon book as well!

I just got this book and have made the chocolate-mint cupcakes and also the carrot cake cupcakes- they were soooo nice!

Looking forward to making the lime coconut cupcakes next...mmmmmmm

im sure i already posted this in here a good while back but these were lime coconut cupcakes we made from hethe book. baking is a thing of the past now sadly..sigh
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

EmmaP, those look so nice! I haven't tried making that kind yet.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Cup cakes are so over people has anyone made any vegan cakepops yet?

http://www.cakepoppeople.com/Home.html
    Silent but deadly :p

aha. cute. buuut. i can make my cupcakes into cakepops by simply sticking a stick in the end. not that i do cupcakes anymore *sad face* how about beetrootpops?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I get sad when I can't bake. People at work kept asking me what I'd made recently, and when I was next bringing cookies in and I kept telling them I wasn't baking because of trying to lose weight, but I broke my baking dry spell on Friday morning and took in some Happy Vegan chocolate chip cookies. They all got snaffled pretty quickly, which meant there was less temptation for me and I like to think it went some way to making people's Friday cheerier
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote jess.s View Post
    dear lord i just made the blueberry lemon creme cupcakes (page 136). they have turned my world upside down. just to die for!
    I really need to make these!

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Cup cakes are so over people has anyone made any vegan cakepops yet?

http://www.cakepoppeople.com/Home.html
    Bakerella has the best cake pops! http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-pops/
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Huge icing crisis! No idea what happened...it was like liquid...why was it not fluffy?! Totally sticking with my old faithful for buttercream frosting...I figured they must know something I don't. I am obvously wrong.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

RubyDuby

would you mind sharing your old faithful? I always* end up with liquid.

*although I rarey bake... still would be nice to have a good recipe!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    Huge icing crisis! No idea what happened...it was like liquid...why was it not fluffy?! Totally sticking with my old faithful for buttercream frosting...I figured they must know something I don't. I am obvously wrong.
    Which recipe did you use? I must have made almost everything out of that book, but never have any problems with the frosting, the only thing i can figure is that you used too much liquid..

I'm so excited! I just ordered this one from Amazon!!! (Together with Isa's cookie one and 'The Joy of vegan baking')
    Let the pounds come in once I start baking again! LOL
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

I've had VCTOTW for about a year or two (I bought it with a one of those book shop loyalty cards where when you get a certain amount of stamps you get a €10 discount, so I got it for €2!) and I love it. I haven't made any of the really fancy recipes but the basic vanilla and chocolate cakes have been made several times, as have the buttercream icings. Once or twice I've used the peanut butter cake recipe to make Specloos cakes (Specloos is a similar texture to peanut butter)!
    Houmous atá ann!

I used the basic vanilla cake recipe from VCTOTW to make a base for home-made jaffa cakes. Its a book of almost infinate uses!
    Houmous atá ann!

I made the chocolate stout cupcakes from this cookbook. I made them for all my pals with rave reviews. The topping was amazeballs.

Today I made the peanut butter cakes from this book as Specloos muffins. For this recipe adaptation I use Specloos spread instead of peanut butter, halve the amount of sugar and leave out the molasses as Specloos is already sweetened.
    Houmous atá ann!