Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Default Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

I've just made the maple cupcakes..but couldn't find maple essence/extract anywhere in Brisbane, Australia. Any other Aussies out there who know where to find it? They turned out ok without it....just not as maple tasting as I would have liked.
    In her satin tights.....fighting for your rights.....

I made a chocolate cupcake last week with a coffee buttercream topping. I used egg replacer and kind of made it up. I was amazed it worked but they came out great and my mum and sister liked them too

Quote Wonderwoman View Post
    I've just made the maple cupcakes..but couldn't find maple essence/extract anywhere in Brisbane, Australia. Any other Aussies out there who know where to find it? They turned out ok without it....just not as maple tasting as I would have liked.
    I don't know about Oz, but I've NEVER seen it here, nor is there any on ebay...

*whispers* pssst - 'ave a look 'ere, sonny....*

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/gree...son-1781-p.asp

here's my latest babies! Sooooo delicious

Peanut Butter :

Gingerbread :

umm those look good. I just got a jar of crunchy peanut butter to make some (healthy eating plan is suffering!)

I made the choc ones for a colleagues birthday and everyone at work loved them and wants the recipe

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    *whispers* pssst - 'ave a look 'ere, sonny....*

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/gree...son-1781-p.asp
    Ohh, I love you....they do liquid smoke (need to check vegan-ness of brand first tho') AND the American Oreos too (someone tell me the USA ones are still free of the dairy by-product crap the UK Oreos have in them!)
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Ohh, I love you....they do liquid smoke (need to check vegan-ness of brand first tho') AND the American Oreos too (someone tell me the USA ones are still free of the dairy by-product crap the UK Oreos have in them!)
    I made an oreo cheesecake a couple months ago (made with tofutti) and the oreos here were still vegan
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    I made an oreo cheesecake a couple months ago (made with tofutti) and the oreos here were still vegan
    droooooooooooool that sounds so yummy

here's my latest babies! Sooooo delicious

Peanut Butter :

Gingerbread :
    Yum, those look so delicious!!

I made the basic chocolate cupcakes for my family last weekend and they were a huge hit! My somewhat anti-vegan grandma looked skeptical and grossed out by the idea of vegan cupcakes, but after tasting them she told me they were actually the best cupcakes she'd ever had, vegan or otherwise! And my (formerly vegan) grandpa loved them and ate like 5 (he ate vegan for health reasons for awhile, but then he stopped, probably because he never had any vegan desserts!). My 4 year old cousin absolutely adored them, and when her parents tried to give her a piece of storebought (non-vegan) cake after giving her a piece of my cupcake, she screamed, "Noooo, I want a Mariana cupcake!" lol. It was so cute.

I made the peanut butter cupcakes but I'm not sure if my measurements were out or not because they sank in the middle (no I didn't open the oven too soon). They were delicious, but stuck inside the muffin tin (no I don't use those paper cups - I'm a greenie). Think I might have to have another go and maybe just use paper cups for these.

Hmm... I haven't read the recipe but could you have just used maple syrup? I don't think I've seen essence/extract anywhere before.

I made cupcakes for my Mum's birthday last week. The ones on the left are strawberry jam g-free doughnut cupcakes w/ strawberry icing, topped with pink hearts. The ones on the right are g-free gingerbread cupcakes topped w/ lemony icing and yellow flowers. The ones in the middle are g-free choc cupcakes, one w/ stawb and one w/ lemony icing, both w/ pink hearts & yellow flowers

cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

They look soooo good. Very pretty. I love this thread! I'm planning on making the cookies n cream ones this week. Treehugga - when I made the peanut butter ones, they sank a little in the middle as well. They were delicious, but very squishy in the middle. Let's pretend they're meant to be that way!

I need g-free baking tips! i tried deglutenising a recipe for a friend's birthday and...well... tasted of soap.

Any tips?

What did you do to de-glutenise it? Did you just sub one type of g-free flour for the wheat flour in a recipe?

In VCTOTW they like to combine rice, quinoa and tapioca flours. I can't find tapioca so I use arrowroot. To some they also add corn flour. I can pm you the recipe if you like.

To make things like gingerbread, muffins and banana bread I have been able to just sub in rice flour on it's own and they've all worked really well.

I used Doves Farm Gluten free plain flour, which is a blend of gluten free flours.

Yeah please pm me the recipe,and i'll give it a bash.

They look soooo good. Very pretty. I love this thread! I'm planning on making the cookies n cream ones this week. Treehugga - when I made the peanut butter ones, they sank a little in the middle as well. They were delicious, but very squishy in the middle. Let's pretend they're meant to be that way!
    Oh good. It's not just me then. The mix did seem a little sloppy even after I only added a quarter of a cup of soy milk instead of 3/4's. I'm going to fiddle with the recipe and add less peanut butter and molasses. I agree they were so yum. My family just scooped them out of the muffin tin and gorged on them anyway!!

With every cupcake recipe from here (and VWAV) I always add extra flour since the quantities stated seem to produce a very runny batter, which the first couple of times when I followed exactly did sink in the middle - now that I add the extra flour (not much, just enough to thicken slightly) no more sinkage
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I finally went out and bought this book yesterday along with Veganomican. I am so excited!! I can't decide which cupcakes to make first, they all look so good!

Quote Kitteh View Post
    Hmm... I haven't read the recipe but could you have just used maple syrup? I don't think I've seen essence/extract anywhere before.

I made cupcakes for my Mum's birthday last week. The ones on the left are strawberry jam g-free doughnut cupcakes w/ strawberry icing, topped with pink hearts. The ones on the right are g-free gingerbread cupcakes topped w/ lemony icing and yellow flowers. The ones in the middle are g-free choc cupcakes, one w/ stawb and one w/ lemony icing, both w/ pink hearts & yellow flowers

Cute! I love the heart and flower sprinkles. Hope your mom liked them too.

Hmm. I've never had any problems with this cookbook using exactly the measurements given.

This weekend I made the vanilla cupcakes combined with the raspberry buttercream icing. The raspberry syrup was a bit pricey, but it was excellent. These came out really nicely.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I just bought this book Excitement!

Quote Kitteh View Post

Kitteh, where did you get those sprinkles? They are gorgeous! I've had a really hard time trying to find cute vegan sprinkles here and a cupcake just isn't a cupcake without sprinkles.

heat13

Quote treehugga View Post
    I made the peanut butter cupcakes but I'm not sure if my measurements were out or not because they sank in the middle (no I didn't open the oven too soon). They were delicious, but stuck inside the muffin tin (no I don't use those paper cups - I'm a greenie). Think I might have to have another go and maybe just use paper cups for these.
    That's funny because I made the peanut butter cupcakes a few weeks ago and mine sank in the middle big time! I thought it was because I didn't bake them long enough. (I DID use paper cups too- you can get the enviornmentally friendly recycled ones here). They tasted good still though.

heat13

Quote sinarei View Post
    I finally went out and bought this book yesterday along with Veganomican. I am so excited!! I can't decide which cupcakes to make first, they all look so good!

Those books are both good! I would start with the basic chocolate cupcake recipe and go from there... I got the book from the library so I only got a chance to try the choc and peanut butter cupcakes and they were both wonderful. Good luck
    Oh, and be sure to make the "chicken" pot pie recipe in the Veganomican book- it's great!

Quote heat13 View Post
    Those books are both good! I would start with the basic chocolate cupcake recipe and go from there... I got the book from the library so I only got a chance to try the choc and peanut butter cupcakes and they were both wonderful. Good luck
    Oh, and be sure to make the "chicken" pot pie recipe in the Veganomican book- it's great!
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely have to check out that pot pie recipe. Yesterday I made the Lemony Vanilla Cupcakes and they were AMAZING! I love the flavor that the almond extract adds. My omnivorous family loved them too, and pretty much devoured the whole batch. Hmmm... this could be dangerous. I'll probably try making some chocolate ones today. I almost bought peanut butter yesterday and now I'm regretting that I didn't because chocolate-peanut butter cupcakes sound really good.

heat13

Quote sinarei View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely have to check out that pot pie recipe. Yesterday I made the Lemony Vanilla Cupcakes and they were AMAZING! I love the flavor that the almond extract adds. My omnivorous family loved them too, and pretty much devoured the whole batch. Hmmm... this could be dangerous. I'll probably try making some chocolate ones today. I almost bought peanut butter yesterday and now I'm regretting that I didn't because chocolate-peanut butter cupcakes sound really good.

YUM- this is making me hungry haha! Let me know how the choc-peanut butter ones turn out if you make them. I just may have to go buy that book- I LOVE baking sweets

Quote heat13 View Post
    YUM- this is making me hungry haha! Let me know how the choc-peanut butter ones turn out if you make them. I just may have to go buy that book- I LOVE baking sweets
    I definitely will once I make them, hopefully soon!

Here are two kinds of cupcakes I made yesterday- chocolate with chocolate chips and chai latte.

As for the frosting, instead of buying powdered sugar for some reason I thought it would be "fun" to make some by blending granulated sugar and cornstarch in my food processor. Unfortunately, no matter how long I ground the sugar it would not get fine enough and my frosting turned out very grainy. I tried to salvage it by turning it into a vanilla-almond pastry cream. This was a very tasty mistake . I'm getting actual powdered sugar later so I will be able to make fluffy frosting, yum!

heat13

Quote sinarei View Post
    I definitely will once I make them, hopefully soon!

Here are two kinds of cupcakes I made yesterday- chocolate with chocolate chips and chai latte.

As for the frosting, instead of buying powdered sugar for some reason I thought it would be "fun" to make some by blending granulated sugar and cornstarch in my food processor. Unfortunately, no matter how long I ground the sugar it would not get fine enough and my frosting turned out very grainy. I tried to salvage it by turning it into a vanilla-almond pastry cream. This was a very tasty mistake . I'm getting actual powdered sugar later so I will be able to make fluffy frosting, yum!

YUM- those are gorgeous! What did you put on top! Mine never look that pretty- but they sure taste good Were you able to find powdered sugar? I acutally found some organic powdered cane sugar at a grocery store called Cub Foods. Don't know if you have those near you, but it made great frosting.

I just got all stressed, so i ate the last one of Bryzees chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting! it was goooooood. On a major sugar high now though.

Isn't powdered sugar just icing/frosted sugar? That's all I use. You buy it at any store.

I want my flippin amazon order to come already . . . I can't wait to get to baking!!

Heat13- Thanks! On top of them is the vanilla pastry cream from the book with just a hint of almond extract added, chopped walnuts and cinnamon.

I bought some organic powdered sugar last night so now I'm all set for frosting making! It wasn't that I had problems finding organic powered sugar around here, I just wanted to see how it would turn out by making it in the food processor, since I heard you could make it that way. I think I'll just stick to buying it from now on

I made the carrot cake cupcakes yesterday and topped them with a cashew-coconut-date frosting since I was still powdered sugar-less at that time. I LOVE carrot cake and haven't had it in a while so these were much enjoyed! Very tender and flavorful.

heat13

Isn't powdered sugar just icing/frosted sugar? That's all I use. You buy it at any store.
    Yeah they have regular powdered sugar (icing sugar) anywhere. But I don't eat any refined sugars- only natural cane sugars (unrefined). I have only found powdered CANE sugar at one store.

Quote heat13 View Post
    Yeah they have regular powdered sugar (icing sugar) anywhere. But I don't eat any refined sugars- only natural cane sugars (unrefined). I have only found powdered CANE sugar at one store.
    Oh I see. What a pain for you!!Hope you find some soon.

heat13

Oh I see. What a pain for you!!Hope you find some soon.
    Thanks! I did though and that could be a problem b/c I LOOOOVE baking sweets haha

I got this book today! So excited to try ALL the recipes!

You will love it!

I made the chocolate cupcakes with chocolate fudge frosting yesterday. They were gorgeous (all gone now ) but the frosting wasn't firm enough despite adding quite a bit of extra soy milk powder. I might try it with dry sugar instead of agave nectar next time.

I made my first ever vegan cupcakes last night. They don't look too good, didn't rise properly but not bad to say I have never baked in my life! Plus my omni family loves them

Always good when omnis love 'em too

I just made coconut lime cupcakes. They are soooo good.

I just made coconut lime cupcakes. They are soooo good.
    They may be my favorites. I'm making some for a family gathering this weekend, along with chocolate cupcakes with raspberry buttercream frosting.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Think I'll make some more cupcakes tomorrow or Friday . . . maybe they will rise a bit better this time!!

We almost made some last night, it's been a few weeks (I think I needed a break!) but we didn't so I think I will make some tonight

Went on a cupcake making spree this morning. It's a family friends birthday so made a variety

Vanilla and Choc marble on the left, vanilla in middle and choc on right, they don't look to be much but I know for a fact they taste very yummy

Don't look to be much? They look amazing Ames I'm gonna make cupcakes later tonight as well as that superduper chocolate cake mentioned in a thread recently.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Yesterday I made the chocolate mint cupcakes. They are delicious! But the frosting didn't firm up well and it was my first attempt at using a pastry bag. I got a pastry bag and tips for a birthday gift and I thought it would be fun to use it, but all I made was a big mess. So....I just spooned the frosting on...it looked a mess but at least it tasted good.

I followed the recipe exactly (usually I dont'). I used the soymilk instead of soy creamer which the recipe said you could do. Does anyone know if this could be why my frosting wasn't firm? I even added quite a bit of extra confectionaire's sugar and put it in the fridge for awhile but it didn't help.

I tend to put in LOTS more icing sugar (confectioners' sugar) than the recipe says. Then I put it in a plastic syringe (specially made for icing - not a medical one! ) which I find much easier to use than a bag.

I did a cupcake stall at a local green fair last weekend for Scottish Vegans. I made gingerbread with lemon cream cheese icing (frosting); pistachio and rosewater; cashew and cardamom; and peanut butter. They sold very well and I got an e-mail from a customer saying they were 'stunningly delicious'! I don't take the credit. That goes to our wonderful 'cupcake bible'... (DH doesn't accept that. He thinks it's my skill! )

Once I can figure out how to post pics properly, I'll show some. The plastic syringe makes lovely swirly icing patterns, which I don't use for chocolate icing, for reasons that will be obvious to anyone of a scatalogical turn of mind.....

Penny