Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Default Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Quote sandra View Post
    That is a very annoying response!
    What does she mean, 'it is not strictly necessary to dedicate an entire tome to what is essentially 75 variations on one basic cake'? Isn't that what all cake and bun recipes are whether they are vegan or not?
    Agreed, and what about omni books like "500 cupcakes" 500!!!!!!!!!
    And they are not the same recipe even the two gluten free recipes have differences to them. They obviously didn't open the book they just read the cover and based their opinion on that. Idiots.

Anyways, more cupcakes needed!

These are g-free choc cakes w/ oreo icing for my b'day

I made the agave cupcakes and they were also g-free, here's one with custard
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Yum Yum! I made the cookies and cream cupcakes that look just like yours for a bake sale. They were a really big hit! I have not made any of the gluten free recipes though.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Ohhhh Kitteh, they look great! The one with the custard is making my mouth water

All my omni friends love the Oreo ones so I always make them for gatherings and the b'day boy (same day as me) is a huge fan. I would have done a giant cupcake cake but the restaurant wanted to charge us 'cakeage', ha! So I took cupcakes instead.

Thanks Roxy, I had tried Orgran custard and found it a bit perfumey and not like custard at all and then another brand was suggested to me and it's delish, Foster Clark.

nice cakes Kitteh! i wish we could get vegan Oreos in the UK!

Can you get the alternatives like Newman O's or Back to Nature? I don't like to have Oreos too often as I'll eat them all unless I use them on cupcakes, but I like having the option of using them.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    Can you get the alternatives like Newman O's or Back to Nature? I don't like to have Oreos too often as I'll eat them all unless I use them on cupcakes, but I like having the option of using them.
    Nope!

we used to be able to get Newman O's through mail order but the company that did them have stopped importing them (and they were really expensive). never heard of Back to Nature.

I hope they give you UKers some vegan Oreos soon.

I baked these last week for our Spring vegan picnic, they are g-free vanilla w/ lemony buttercream, topped with a sml slice of lemon and a blueberry

And these I made this weekend for one of my best friend's birthdays. G-free choc and vanilla cupcakes, choc ones topped with strawberry buttercream and then vanilla ones are topped with lemony buttercream.

Those are seriously awesome cupcakes, kitteh! MMMMmmmmmmmm

fab-looking cupcakes, Kitteh! i love the little candles you put in the ones in the bottom photo!

How cute are they!!! Those are gorgeous, well done you *drools*

0-M-G! I have just bought this book and it is AMAZING So far I have made the golden vanilla cupcakes with chocolate-fudgy frosting and the carrot cake cupcakes, which were absolutely delish. This book is a must for sweet-loving vegans. I just love it when I can prove to everyone that you do not need eggs and animal products for baking. I need to restrain myself and stop making more!

Noooo, don't restrain yourself! Bake more and post pics here!

I agree, bake more! I really want to try the carrot ones, I've had tofutti sour cream in my fridge for ages but am still yet to make 'em

I am definitely requesting it as a Christmas gift. :}

Talking Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Quote hullabaloo View Post
    0-M-G! I have just bought this book and it is AMAZING So far I have made the golden vanilla cupcakes with chocolate-fudgy frosting and the carrot cake cupcakes, which were absolutely delish. This book is a must for sweet-loving vegans. I just love it when I can prove to everyone that you do not need eggs and animal products for baking. I need to restrain myself and stop making more!
    I know right! haha, I bake so much and I always try to bake a lot of stuff for the charity bake sales that I am involved in at my school, so that people can see that cruelty-free sweetness IS possible.

I made the mint cupcakes at the weekend, very yum

Quote AliBlack View Post
    I made the mint cupcakes at the weekend, very yum
    Those were great! I made them for the holidays last year.

I think for my family Hallowe'en party I'm going to make the apple cider cupcakes, but they look really complicated. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Good luck!

Mini Cupcakes I made for my friend's hens party - gf vanilla w/ vanilla buttecream, gf banana w/ lemony icing, gf chocolate w/ choc buttercream and gf choc w/ mint icing

Close up of the choc mint ones

This thread even makes my omni bf drool.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

The apple cider cupcakes were outrageously good. I mean, seriously one of the best recipes in the book. Make them! Make them now! I used the vanilla buttercream frosting and the combination of the spicy apple and sweet vanilla was divine. Several people told me they were the best cupcakes I've made, although I'm still a bigger fan of the coconut lime. Still, these are a close second.

That said, they do require some extra steps and are a bit of a pain in the ass to make. Agar flakes are fairly expensive, as well. I had trouble finding soy milk powder for the caramel and had to buy this giant and expensive package. I recommend boiling the apple cider and agar flakes before doing anything else because you have to wait for it to cool down before you can mix it in with the rest of the ingredients.

The recipe actually makes more than 12 cupcakes. I took the leftover batter from the two batches I made, mixed it together, and made an apple cider cake out of it. It came out really nice, although the edges were a bit burned. If I took it out of the oven earlier, it would've been perfect.

Because I forgot to buy arrowroot, I decided to substitut cornstarch in the caramel recipe. While this did sort of work, there were chewy lumps in the cararmel, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Hmm. I still have agar flakes, icing, and cider. Maybe I'll make some election night cupcakes.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I think the apple cider cupcakes are the ones I'm gonna try next. Made Earl Grey Tea cupcakes and Cappucino cupcakes a few days ago. So good.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    ooh, the thought of piped frosting on these cupcakes makes my teeth hurt! i think i'll just be spreading mine, even though the piped frosting looks very pretty!
    I know what you mean, I made ginger cupcakes a couple of days back and the frosting was in danger of being larger than the cakes. I do like the look of swirls though, so I ended up just swirling flower shapes on the top and then sticking a piece of ginger in the middle. Looked pretty good, if I do say so myself, and wasn't too much frosting
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

My bf gave me my Christmas pressie early: a baby pink Kitchenaid Mixer! So of course the first thing we made were gf choc cupcakes w/ choc and banana icing. The KA made the icing so thick and fluffy, it was perfect!

Quote Astrid View Post
    I think the apple cider cupcakes are the ones I'm gonna try next. Made Earl Grey Tea cupcakes and Cappucino cupcakes a few days ago. So good.
    I liked the Earl Grey Cupcakes a lot. I have been meaning to try the apple cider ones. Maybe at Christmas...
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote Kitteh View Post
    My bf gave me my Christmas pressie early: a baby pink Kitchenaid Mixer! So of course the first thing we made were gf choc cupcakes w/ choc and banana icing. The KA made the icing so thick and fluffy, it was perfect!

Woohoo! Niiiice Christmas Present Now all you need to do is put some Hello Kitty stickers on it Seriously though - that's a nice machine.

Hahaha, the bowl won't come off! I used it last night to make carrot cupcakes, washed the bowl after making the batter, put it back on, made the icing and now the bowl is STUCK! Eek!

Anyway, here are the carrot cupcakes, gf, iced w/ vanilla buttercream. They are deelish, my new faves!

I made candy cane cupcakes using the gf choc and vanilla recipes

Kitteh - you make me drool

Haha, better wipe your keyboard!

i just made the mint and choc cupcakes on a fat free stylee. i had just popped them in the oven when i realised i hadn't put the oil in ooops. i baked them anyway and you know they came out surprisingly well. slight chewy texture but a nice taste and with a bit of icing i'm sure you would never know. i'm gonna try them out on people tomorrow and if all goes well i may experiment with other fat reduced cakes.

yum yum!

They must be extra-low fat now! I am sure ppl will still like them

I am SO glad there is a thread devoted to this cookbook. It is the BEST! And looking at pictures of vegan cupcakes is the only way to kill time. Yummmm.

Just last night I made the basic chocolate cupcake with the buttercream frosting. I now wish I'd taken a better picture, everyone's look beautiful! But here you are anyway...

and these I made a while ago, my first experience with the book...

Sexy Low-Fat Vanilla w/ Blueberry Cream Cheeze Frosting

I LOVE CUPCAKES!

Yay for more pics It's IS an awesome book and your cuppies look yummo

I'm in a cupcake frenzy!

This recipe I've been dying to try, and they were scrumptious beyond belief. Yes, it's the Margarita Cupcakes.

So limey and tangy! I'm a fan.

They look fantastic!!

I forgot to post two batches I made. Both are the vanilla gf recipe, the first I covered in chocolate & coconut to make lamingtons and then filled them w/ Soyatoo whippable cream and the second were filled w/ raspberry jam & Soyatoo

Yay! I got my copy in the mail yesterday and couldn't wait to try one of the recipes out. I wanted to go with something simple, because I already had the ingredients on-hand to make the yellow cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. They turned out really nicely, although some sank in the middle just a tad. I definitely need an oven thermometer. My gas oven does tend to run a bit hotter than other ovens I've used. Plus it's really humid here this time of year.

They passed the family taste test with flying colors, except for my dad who said they tasted like, and I quote, "frosted sweet cornbread muffins". Bless his heart, he was expecting Betty Crocker yellow cake. But my husband and son have gobbled them up greedily and my husband exclaimed (for the second time since last night), "I can't believe there's no dairy in these!"

I can't wait to try the lime coconut cupcakes. My mom ordered some coconut flakes from the Wilderness Family Naturals website yesterday!

Quote CrunchyMomma View Post
    Yay! I got my copy in the mail yesterday and couldn't wait to try one of the recipes out. I wanted to go with something simple, because I already had the ingredients on-hand to make the yellow cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. They turned out really nicely, although some sank in the middle just a tad. I definitely need an oven thermometer. My gas oven does tend to run a bit hotter than other ovens I've used. Plus it's really humid here this time of year.

They passed the family taste test with flying colors, except for my dad who said they tasted like, and I quote, "frosted sweet cornbread muffins". Bless his heart, he was expecting Betty Crocker yellow cake. But my husband and son have gobbled them up greedily and my husband exclaimed (for the second time since last night), "I can't believe there's no dairy in these!"

I can't wait to try the lime coconut cupcakes. My mom ordered some coconut flakes from the Wilderness Family Naturals website yesterday!
    If your family likes chocolates, I highly recommend the chocolate cupcakes! I sometimes feed them to omnis but don't tell them they're vegan until after they taste them (hehe), and they can never even tell and are really shocked to find out they're vegan! My grandparents go absolutely crazy for them and think they're the best cupcakes they've ever had!
    I miss vegan cupcakes so much! I don't have an oven here.

those cupcakes look amazing!!! shame i don't have any cupcakes - or the book!

Hooray for getting VCTOTW, CrunchyMomma!

I made gf Carrot Cupcakes for Easter and a birthday, w/ vanilla buttercream and marzipan carrots.

And so everyone knows, the ingredients for these are slightly wrong, the amount of flour should read 1 & 2/3 cups!

I finally picked up this book, I already had VCON and VwaV. I made some mint chocolate ones for my test batch, the cake was absolutly perfect but I messed up on the frosting, don't think I used enough shortening because it wouldn't hold its form and tasted like pure sugar.

I am making 4 different varieties tonight for a farewell party at work this week. I think I am going to do Cookies and Cream, Banana Split, Carrot Cake and maybe the low fat ones with fruit topping.

Quote Nobylspoon View Post
    I am making 4 different varieties tonight for a farewell party at work this week. I think I am going to do Cookies and Cream, Banana Split, Carrot Cake and maybe the low fat ones with fruit topping.
    i'd like to see photo's of those, nobby - it will be nearly as good as eating them. in fact i can almost taste all these delicious pictures, they look sooooo good!

I got this book for my birthday, almost a year ago now, and I still have not made any of them. I am too scared, the recipes look SO complicated.

Do the basic vanilla cupcape ones using oil. Once you've done the curdly milk bit its just dry in one bowl and wet in the other and then mixing them together. If you want to make them more fancy throw in some chocolate chips.

Quote cookey View Post
    Do the basic vanilla cupcape ones using oil. Once you've done the curdly milk bit its just dry in one bowl and wet in the other and then mixing them together. If you want to make them more fancy throw in some chocolate chips.
    Ok I'll be brave and give it a go

You mad baking people and your lovely photos are causing havoc with my attempted diet.
    Everytime I bake I end up eating way too many of the things myself, and feel really large and guilty at the end!
    I have made the Peanut Butter ones, the Maple Syrup, and the Carrot Cake. My non-vegan buddies, and my family, thought they were all lovely!!
    But for now - no cupcakes for Helen!

Linxie, they really aren't that hard. I always sift the dry ingredients together first then set them aside. Then I do the wet ingredients and then I mix 'em together and that's quite a quick way of doing it. Also, have all your ingredients out and ready as well as enough bowls and measuring cups and spoons

SmallHelen your avatar is gorgeous! And I know what you mean, I have to give my cupcakes away otherwise I eat 2 a day