Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Default Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Eclectic one I think if they stick to the liners it means you're being too impatient!!! I find they detach themselves from the liner better the next day.

Smoothie your cupcake frenzy sounded great

I agree that the next day they came off the liner better, but they actually tasted better the first day IMO.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

pathologist

i have made the basic chocolate ones twice - the first time I put in some bits of plamil 87% chocolate grated and broken up as wll as everything in the recipe- they came out very gooey - almost like fudge. The second time I followed the recipe - they came out much more cakey - but very soft and moist. My husband liked them both times but thought that the first lot were just marginally better - as he likes a very gooey cake! But i must say they are better than anything I ever made before I was vegan - this really is a fantastic book.

I just ordered this book with 'Vegan with a Vengeance' but it won't be here until April now!!!!! Oh no! I can't wait!!!!

inkedmiss

Today I made the basic choc cakes with the choc frosting and they have turned out great. I have taken pics and if I can get them on to the PC I will show them. I am really pleased with my first attempt and will definately make more from the book, starting tomorrow with the elvis ones.

I also made some double choc almond explosion cookes and they are yummy ....

I made the basic choc/cookies n' cream frosting ones for my sister on her BDAY. She loved them.

Then for my friends' birthday (who is afraid of vegan food and is skeptical to try anything new!) I made the mocha ones. She LOVED them too! So did everyone at school that tried them. She took some home to her fiancee and he said they were absolutely delicious. She asked him if he wanted to know how they were made and he said no. She told me he will not eat anything reduced fat/vegan. I told her that's all the more reason to tell him that there were no trans fats and no animal products. But she wouldn't.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Kant

It's strange but I've had more luck with the fancier cupcakes than the "basic" ones - the latter have been complete disasters...

I was going to buy this today but they didn't have any in stock!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I've really loved all the cupcakes I've made from it and they've all turned out great except for the vanilla cupcakes, I've made them twice and I just cannot get them right.

^ Snap Mine tasted good, but were decidedly scone-like

Hmm it wasn't the texture on mine that was a problem, more the lack of vanilla taste...I'm pondering scraping a vanilla pod into the mixture next time - give it a bit more 'oomph'
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Catie View Post
    I've really loved all the cupcakes I've made from it and they've all turned out great except for the vanilla cupcakes, I've made them twice and I just cannot get them right.
    Strange, that's the only one I've made so far and they were great! Tasted vanilla-y and almond-y thanks to the almond extract.

all of the cuppys i have made yet, has turned out great! escpecially the vanilla ones.

I hope to make the pineapple rightside up ones in a couple days
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I've recently made the Lime and Coconut ones - they were so good! But perhaps even better were the Almond ones, with apricot jam in the middle.... so so good!!!

Red face Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Quote fiamma View Post
    I've recently made the Lime and Coconut ones - they were so good! But perhaps even better were the Almond ones, with apricot jam in the middle.... so so good!!!
    *drools*

can't these recipes be found online somewhere?
    Piggy

I fear not...

I made the pineapple rightside up cupcakes today and they are YUMMY I just hope they're as good tomorrow and the next day...

OK! I finally have the photos from the three sets of cakes I made for our going away party that I promised you guys I'd post, ages ago!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...olimecakes.jpg
    Coconut Lime Cakes, although the coconut on the outside didn't look as nice as the previous time I made them - it really reminded me of eggs for some reason (I think because it was creamy coloured icing with white coconut, and the white reminded me of egg white lumps in scrambled egg... eww... I was the only one to see the resemblence though!)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...herrycakes.jpg
    Chocolate Cherry Tallcakes, except I had a minor emergency with the cherry filling and had to scrape out the last of a jar of strawberry jam to put in the wells!! LOL they tasted OK though. On the outside of some is 100s & 1000s, and Green & Blacks hot chocolate mix pretending to be chocolate ants!!!! (YES it WAS a bit of a last minute disaster but they tasted ok!!)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...nillacakes.jpg
    These are the plain vanilla ones with vanilla frosting, for the less adventurous at the party, they were very nice though, and topped with health food store 'smarties' which had natural colours and were vegan (dark choc).

I struggled to make all of the three batches of cakes and then ice them all the next morning in time - running out of certain ingredients didn't help, and also the icing wouldn't set too well even though it had been fine before. But in the end they were great and went down well!

Quote piggy View Post
    *drools*

can't these recipes be found online somewhere?
    The book is worth buying! when is your birthday??

inkedmiss

Here is a pic of the first cupcake I made from the book. Its the basic choc ones with choc topping...very yummy

Excuse the wrong date on the pic, I forgot to reset my camera before uploading

woweee! that looks really nice!!

i have chocolate cake baking in the oven right now..so i think 'smell-o-vision is about to kick in
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Found a recipe on the internet from this book. It was the basic chocolate one. They were pretty nice, nothing special but pretty tasty. They looked pretty. I didnt use the shortning, didnt fancy that in my cream to be honest but managed to make a nice topping with melted chocolate, icing sugar, marg and some almond essence.

I just made the lemon ones from Vegan with a Vegeance (same author, diff cookbook) and they're as good as gold

i just bought that yesterday along with vegan with a vengeance! only problem is ive never cooked/baked on my own im strictly a microwave/straight outta the package kind of girl. so it should be interesting.

I've been experimenting today, I used the basic chocolate cupcake and did these

with a fluffy peppermint frosting, half a chocolate mint thin and drizzled them with chocolate ganache

and had a bash at the peanut butter-cream frosting

which doesn't stand up as well piping - but sure does taste rather nice, and again some more ganache drizzled on top!

Mmmm :drooling:

Those look great. Aaghh! Now I'm hungry for cake!

They look professional Ivy!!! Yum!!!

Omg.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Poison Ivy, you could start your own cupcake business there

Kevster

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    Poison Ivy, you could start your own cupcake business there
    Yes i think she could, of course there'd be a need for a chief taster. Not sure but i think i have someone in mind.

Thank you everyone, you're all very kind....and if you all lived close enough you could come round for cupckaes and tea!

wauw. they look amazing. much better than the ones i've done. now i'm a bit jealous i want a cupcake decorating set..

pathologist

yes they look absolutely fantastic. Mine have all looked less lovely - but I have to say that everything i've tried out of that book has been delicious - much better than non-vegan cakes tasted

Quote Kevster View Post
    Yes i think she could, of course there'd be a need for a chief taster. Not sure but i think i have someone in mind.
    It would have to be in an unpaid capacity....I'm not sure how much of a profit margin there is to be had from cupcakes

Kevster

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    It would have to be in an unpaid capacity....I'm not sure how much of a profit margin there is to be had from cupcakes
    Well i guess it would depend on how many were eaten before sale, i think i could be quite thorough.

Good sperm

I could be second taster, to enable a representative opinion

Kevster

In which case Poison Ivy you are going to make no money whatsoever, by the time we've finished fighting over them.

Thank you for the offer AMF, I think an unbiased opinion would be very useful!

Kevster, behave yourself!! I will not allow fighting over them....I will bake double instead!! - or maybe quadruple if I'm ever going to make any money!!

Kevster

But they would be worth fighting over... but yes i concede that cooking a much larger amount is likely to be to our mutual satisfaction.

I now have this book, and am going to try making a few soon....

I made the rosewater pistachio cupcakes...they were the most moist cupcakes I've made thus far, but they're my second to last favorite (only the low-fat vanilla I liked less). They were OK, but I ended up actually throwing the last one away because I was just tired of them--first time ever with cupcakes--even after I gave about 3 away. (The low-fat vanilla I gave about 6 away.)

i just made the chocolate cherry creme ones last nite. between my parents and coworkers, they're all gone! definitely have to make some more now.

I made the carrot cake cupcakes w/ cream cheese frosting last week and they were FABULOUS. They had raisins and walnuts, which I'm not always a big fan of, but they were just great. I always plan to try to get all fancy and garnish and decorate them, but I never seem to have the time or energy to do it in the end.

Talking Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

i have the book but havent had the time to go about looking for the wierd stuff you need to make these cupcakes all fancy & shtuff...

youre just going to eat them anywaysss!!!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

We just eat them practically as they come out of the oven...We are hungry folk around here too!

I made the mocha cupcakes and coffee buttercream frosting. I found that the cupcakes need a little more instant coffee and the frosting needed about half-again the amount of coffe in the recipe. Given that, they were excellent! I'm making another batch this weekend.

I think the chocolate cherry creme ones will be my next project, but the apple cider ones sound so good.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache topping....

...made again at my daughters request because she loves these, which I can completely understand as they're lovely and moist and fluffy...and I actually made them in the right size case this time

Mmm those look delicious!!!!!!

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache topping....

...made again at my daughters request because she loves these, which I can completely understand as they're lovely and moist and fluffy...and I actually made them in the right size case this time
    Those look simply delicious! I'm hoping you can share the recipe?? xx
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

mmmmmmmm peanut butter + cake + chocolate = gooooooooood

*drools*