Thread: meat substitutes: bad?

Default meat substitutes: bad?

What do you long-time vegans think of these meat replacers? Having only been vegan a month, I have eaten them a couple of times what I get a craving for a taste of the food I used to consume like... bbq or a hot dog or whatever.(Basically, when I am craving something I have not figured out how to mimick with my own cooking.)

Do you consider these items to be "vegan junk food" or an acceptable meal every now and then when you're having a weak moment? http://www.lightlife.com/index.html

as far as the amy's stuff goes, I mean just the vegan ones.
    http://www.amyskitchen.com/

Default Re: meat substitutes: bad?

Quote yasha View Post
    Do you consider these items to be "vegan junk food" or an acceptable meal every now and then when you're having a weak moment? http://www.lightlife.com/index.html
    If I had options like those lightlife ones I'd probably have them every so often, they look like they'd be yummy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with meat subs or pre-prepared food as part of a balanced diet (not just in a "weak moment"!). I've been vegan 9 years (10 come February) and I probably have some form of fakey meat on average 2-3 times a week - sometimes far less, sometimes far more (like if I've just picked up a bargain pack of sausages from the vegan festival )

They add protein, they don't cause animal suffering... okay, so lentils and beans are a cheaper form of protein, but I don't see anything wrong with subs - they add variety

I don't see anything with meat subsitutes either. As long as they aren't the basis for your diet, they add yummy variety. A lot are also fortified with vitamins like iron and B12, so that's a bonus.

I don't know how often I eat them. I'm more into the imitation dairy products (yogurt, sour cream, etc). I do eat them once in a while, though.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i think that meat substitutes are perfect if you miss the taste of meat. some of them taste so much like meat. actually, that's the reason why i personally can't stand the taste of them, but if you like them, i see no problem with them.

since i don't eat meat substitutes, i don't know much about them, but one thing to consider is: are they too processed? i wouldn't eat them too much, but it sounds like you only eat them once in a while, so all should be well
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I don't mind meat substitues and use them fairly often. I donate blood once every couple of months also, and I find them a great way of upping my iron intake, which is very important. The ones I eat (Yves) are also a good source of protein and B vitamins.

DW, some are more processed than others. Don't be afraid of long ingredient lists, though. Most are just fancy names for the vitamins they are fortified with.

I don't know if you can get SOL products in the USA but they seem to be less procesed than Boca or Yves, for example.

thanks Tigerlily. i've never looked for SOL products, because i don't really like meat substitutes (not just because of the fact that they're processed). but i might try some at some point...who knows, i might find one that doesn't taste/look/feel too much like real meat and that i actually like.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

In that case, you might like tempeh burgers. Have you ever tried them? They also make "veggie patties" made with real vegetables rather than soy meat.

i've had tepeh, but not tempeh burgers. and i've never tried veggie patties, but they sound like they might be good. they don't taste like meat, do they?
    ~John Wooden

No, not all. They taste like...hmm...like the vegetables in it the patty!

good! then, i'll look for them on my next trip to the grocery store.
    ~John Wooden

Veggie pattys are the best!! They don't taste like meat at all! It is a mixture of veggies and sometimes rice. They sell them at trader joe's.

Amy's veggie burgers are made with walnuts, veggie's, and grains, I think. THe California Burgers don't taste like meat at all and are great. The Texas burgers don't either, except for the barabequed flavor that often goes on meat (like BBQ meat). It reminds me a little of meat for that reason. Both are really good though, and good for you.

I eat meat subs probably once a week on average. I don't crave meat, but sometimes I do crave the protien in them, so I'll have one. They are high in protien. The drawback might be that they're probably high in sodium. I think it'd be fine to eat them any time you wanted, not just in a "weak moment." (Though they'd be good for that too!)

I don't really crave meat, I guess it's just my body & taste buds adjusting to the new changes in my diet. At times I guess my buds are like.. wait where's all the old flavors you used to let me taste?!

You'll just have to overwhelm them with lots of NEW foods!

I went out and bought a lot of things I'd never tried before after I turned vegan so nobody could accuse me of reducing the choice of things I had to eat - for instance, have you tried:

Durian
    Star fruit
    Tempeh
    Truffles (the mushroom things... come to that, how many types of mushrooms have you tried?)
    Asparagus
    Jerusalem Artichokes
    etc. etc.

(you may scoff all of the above every day, and have done so since birth, but I bet there are plenty of things you haven't tried... )

I ate Quorn every now and then when I was vegetarian, but I have not had any fake meat since going vegan. The thought of eating something which is made to look - and possibly taste - like meat grosses me out. I don't really see the point of not wanting to eat meat but then have mock duck or something like that. Maybe that's over the top, but I can't get myself to touch that sort of stuff.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

I think the point is that you may still like the taste of meat but do not support the cruelty behind it.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I think the point is that you may still like the taste of meat but do not support the cruelty behind it.
    yes ma'm.

I have never been a big meat eater and I am sure with time that I will no longer crave cheese or the taste of certain other foods. However, the main reason for my opting to go vegan is due to the cruelty that animals endure for their fur, hide, meat, eggs or milk -whatever it may be. Also, I wanted some of the health perks that come along with being vegan.

I stopped eating meat after having been face-to-face with a creature that became someone's dinner, not because I didn't like meat. I still want those foods that I used to enjoy. The difference is that now I have a Boca Burger with Vegenaise, lettuce, tomato and onion on a whole wheat bun instead of a Whopper from BK; or I put Morningstar Farms Chick'n Strips on my salad instead of actual chicken breast. Each of us is different, we have different tastes, different comfort foods, and different things that we will or will not like. I don't think that eating meat substitutes is bad or makes me "less vegan" than someone who doesn't use them (as long as the subs are vegan, something to watch closely). It allows me to enjoy things that I grew up liking without causing another animal to suffer. My advice is, if you like meat subs, eat them ... if not, then don't. As long as you're getting proper nutrients and not hurting anything or anyone else, you're fine.

I don't like the veggie burgers you generally get at restaraunts but I get them sometimes when they are the only vegan option besides salad. I guess I'd rather eat something that tastes like beef than have people think I am weird but I debate my reasoning as I am eating it. Love fake chicken stuff though!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I don't think they're bad, everything in moderation. I think they're good to have on hand for times when you maybe don't have the time or energy to cook. I'm not too fond of them personally because they taste too processed. I get the impression that certain vegans view tham as "unvegan" or second-rate substitutes for "real" vegan foods like legumes and veggies. I don't think that's true, I just think it's healthier to go with natural ingredients wherever possible.

Vegan Traveler

Sorry, just saw this.. Do you like the Durian????

Quote twinkle View Post
    You'll just have to overwhelm them with lots of NEW foods!

I went out and bought a lot of things I'd never tried before after I turned vegan so nobody could accuse me of reducing the choice of things I had to eat - for instance, have you tried:

**Durian**
    Star fruit
    Tempeh
    Truffles (the mushroom things... come to that, how many types of mushrooms have you tried?)
    Asparagus
    Jerusalem Artichokes
    etc. etc.

(you may scoff all of the above every day, and have done so since birth, but I bet there are plenty of things you haven't tried... )
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Quote howdawg View Post
    Sorry, just saw this.. Do you like the Durian????

I'm ashamed to say I'm scared of the Durian - I've tried everything else on that list, but I've only seen durian on sale in my local Chinese supermarket and never had the guts to buy one, because I heard they taste delicious but smell like death, and the ones they had were huge, and I was always lacking ready cash when I saw them.

I just mentioned it because it's something not that many people seem to have tried.

Vegan Traveler

Haha I used to eat Durian in China.. They LOVE it!! They told me you have to eat it three times.. plug your nose if you must, but after you've had it three times, you'll LOVE IT!!!! I tried it three times, and can honestly tell you that I do not love it! It smells sooo bad, and has been banned from most hotels and even airlines!! I would try it if I were you though, you may fall in love! Good luck!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

I want to try natto - is it anything like tempeh?

No, it isn't even considered a meat subsitute. It looks pretty gross...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natto

A lot of times the fake meats are high in sodium- like hot dogs, deli meats. I like to buy or make veggie burgers that are mostly vegetables. I don't think that fake meats are totally unhealthy, of course they are so much healthier than real meat, but anything that is processed isn't what you should base your diet off of. I find myself doing that sometimes- buying lots of frozen foods, like frozen soy meat to add to pasta, and veggie chicken patties. I'm trying to eat more whole foods, like regular beans, grains, vegetables. I have to say that veggie meats, especially at vegan Chinese restaurants taste really really good! Like vegan sweet and sour chicken. I think they usually use wheat gluten.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

VeganVeggiePatch

Default I hate meat substitutes

Maybe I'm crazy or maybe It's because I haven't had meat in over 4 years but I HATE meat substitutes. I hate the way they look...I hate the texture...I hate the way they taste. I know that tofurky isn't meat. But just the fact that it looks like meat completely turns me off! Does anyone else feel this way?

Edited for super bad typos lol.

I actually like meat subsittues, O.K some of them taste like crap, some are unhealthy and sometimes its mich nicer just to have houmous or lentils instead.

But I do think that they have there place. I generally try and eat the more healthy ones more often (one of the supermarkets in the UK sells soya chicken chunks that are low fat, quite low in salt and low in calories so I use them alot) and have the unhealthy ones as a treat - and even unheallthy Vegan options are more healthy than real meat versions (you dont tend to find eyes, ears and noses in Vegan hotdogs).

I buy a pack or two of tofurky sausages every month. Other than that I continue cutting(bit by bit) the most unhealthy foods out of my diet. Pretty well 90-95% raw now I see them fake meats as junk food, myself. The sausages have 25% of your sodium for the day, they're loaded with fat...

'Lo all

We have a vegetarian (90% vegan) restuarant and mock-meat resaler near where I live.

Their target market is NOT vegans. They know that full bore vegans will eat little to no mock meats.

Where their target market is is people looking for cruelty free/healthier alternatives to the foods that they are used to eating.

Provides a stepping stone for meat-addicts to cross over to veg*ism. Kind of a 'nicotine gum' for meat eaters who would, if it were made easier for them, move away from meat, in a way.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

leedsveg

Quote fiamma View Post
    I don't think they're bad, everything in moderation. I think they're good to have on hand for times when you maybe don't have the time or energy to cook. I'm not too fond of them personally because they taste too processed. I get the impression that certain vegans view tham as "unvegan" or second-rate substitutes for "real" vegan foods like legumes and veggies. I don't think that's true, I just think it's healthier to go with natural ingredients wherever possible.
    I agree with what fiamma posted over 4 years ago.

lv

You have to make sure it says vegan on the box. Boca and Morningstar use CAGED eggs in their ingredients!! (unless it says vegan). Quorn uses eggs too but I don't know if they are caged or not.
    A large percentage of vegetarians (who would eat eggs anyway) are most likely vegetarians because of animal rights. And they are using eggs from chickens that are suffering. A meat substited with caged eggs. It makes no sense. I don't think vegetarians that eat these products realize that caged eggs are being used.
    These companies are certainly putting profit over kindness and mercy.

Quote Emma Rose View Post
    These companies are certainly putting profit over kindness and mercy.
    Diametricaly opposed objectives, unfortunately ...

Kind of in line with the idea that one reaps what they sow; The human herds suffer much the same fate in as much as that we are only given as much as is needed to stop us from misbehaving (too much) and to optimise our productivity by those above us in the financial food chain.

(I know that to be basicaly true as I was trained how to keep people happy and productive for optimum (i.e. minimum) bucks during the management part of my career. Don't know waht they called it in other parts of the world but it was called the 'Investors In People' programme over here.)

Nice first post Emma and welcome to the forum, btw

Sometimes I wonder that our fat-cat contollers encourage the exploitation of animals for the simple reason that if animals were allowed exploitation free lives then their exploitation of us would be far more obvious and we might resent being fleeced and milked to death and kick up more of a fuss.
    All done in the best possible taste ...