Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Default Re: OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

one of my reasons for talking to my doctor is because she's one of my best friends, i would if it were getting me down though but i'm happy enough

QM,
    in researching ADD and OCD I've somehow come to believe that they are related to/included in the autism/asperger spectrum.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Yeah, I'd definitely say they're related. But whether one would be diagnosable with more than one at the same time, is a bit trickier (and it can be more than a matter of ticking the boxes, particularly where ADHD and autism are concerned, or autism and schizophrenia, in which case you pretty much would have to have delusions and/or hallucinations in order to get the last one). But yeah, there's a fair amount of overlap, if you know which traits you're looking at.

Emmy I took zoloft for seven years for OCD with both lactose and gelatine. I switched over the last 6 months I was on the meds to a lactose free veggy cap version. You can easily go to a compounding pharmacy and get it made without lactose. They use synthetic fillers instead. Some people have serious reactions to meds because of lactose and HAVE to have it without.

Also I have been through CBT and am now in some childhood behavioural type therapy. I found they have both helped (been helping) but it's definitely true that you need to get to the root of the anxiety. I used to self-harm a LOT and after three years of therapy focusing on body image I wouldn't even DREAM of hurting myself. Even when I'm in the throws of extreme mental torture.

Loving yourself (and I know this doesn't come easy), helps ease and or eliminate the self-harm. My therapist now told me there is a difference between the mental ILLNESS and the mental HEALTH. The illness is the anxiety and when you self-harm or give into compulsions/have obsession you are letting the illness take over. When you feel the illness you have a choice to be mentally healthy by not self-harming and by letting your thoughts "be". I hope that helps somewhat.

*hugs to everyone*.

Cymreaes: I have this prob too to a lesser extent. It's a problem (OCD prob) when you have actual anxiety about it. No matter how little or how big the anxiety is. It's a moral choice when you actually could see/picture/actually eat the things you don't want to but make that choice not to. That's my opinion. I know for me it's not a good thing that if I accidently ate meat I would be super panicked and force myself to throw up (at least I honestly don't think this is rational). I think the rational thing for a vegan to do would be to realize what happened, accept it as nuritment and probably feel a little guilty (inevitably), but move on from it.