Thread: Waxing: How to make it easier...

Default Waxing: How to make it easier...

Hey there.

I havent posted here for a bit, but have a question for all those waxers out there.
    I recently moved out of my home and now live with some friends in a city. I used to enjoy bathes and did my shaving there. However, here my bathtub is incredibly small and uncomfortable, and shaving is a pain, so Ive decided to switch over to waxing.
    Im currently waiting for my hair to grow out enough to start, and was wondering what I could do to make my first waxing easier? Ive heard baby powder helps prevent the wax from sticking to your skin, I was wondering if anyone had any other tips?
    P.S. the areas I will be waxing will be my calves and bikini line, as well as eyebrows.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Default Re: Waxing: How to make it easier...

-Don't expect miracles your first time trying to wax. I'd recommend you'd just try your calf or bikini line. Eyebrows are really tricky, and one wrong move and you can accidentally wax off half of it. I'd stick a professional for that or do tweezing (more control).

-Keep your skin as taught as possible when waxing by using your other hand to hold the skin tightly. Any jiggly skin makes it hard to wax and you'll need to keep waxing it over again and that can cause a lot of irritation.

-After waxing use azueline oil (the blue oil that comes with most wax kits) and a drop of tea tree oil (unless your skin is bloody or really irritated).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Thanks Tigerlily

Yea, Ill take your advise on the eybrows. I have nightmares about waxing the whole tihng off!

I never thought of tea tree oil, but it makes sense now that I think about it, and I have a bottle for pimples etc, so Ill make sure to use it!
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Don't wax, sugar! You can make it yourself, and it washes right off afterwards

I use 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, boil until at soft ball stage (use a sugar thermometer), allow to cool before applying to skin! - that recipe makes a ton and costs very little. Even if you halve the quantities it still works.

Quote twinkle View Post
    allow to cool before applying to skin!
    lol

Quote twinkle View Post
    Don't wax, sugar! You can make it yourself, and it washes right off afterwards

I use 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, boil until at soft ball stage (use a sugar thermometer), allow to cool before applying to skin! - that recipe makes a ton and costs very little. Even if you halve the quantities it still works.
    Wow. Im definitly interested. how well does it work? Does your hair have to be a certian lenght when you do it? Do you just apply and wash off? Im so curious now!!

You use it in pretty much the same way as wax. You can get a lot of commercial sugaring kits (I think 'nads' or some such unfortunate name is a proprietary brand) but making it yourself is still a lot cheaper.

Once you've made the sugaring gunk you can wait for it to cool to a bearable temp, or leave it to cool completely and then microwave or use a bain-marie to get it to a spreadable temperature as and when you need it (one lot will last for several sessions of ripping hair out).

Then you use a blunt knife or spatular or wooden spoon (something which will allow you to spread it on your skin) to paste it onto your skin, with the direction of the hair growth, put a strip of cloth on top (I use old pillowcases torn up into strips, but you can buy proper sugaring strips for not-very-much), press down and then pull off.

That's probably more info than you needed, but just thought I'd give you all the details

Oh, and if you're nervous, start on your legs first to get a feel for it, because that's the most pain-free and easiest to do, in my experience.

Thanks! Ill still use the stripes since I have them, but once they're gone Ill try the sugaring recipe!