Thread: Your mood indicates what you crave

Default Your mood indicates what you crave

I was watching Ophrah yesterday- I don't usually watch it but I just turned it on and it was in the middle of the show, and there was a doctor or some type of health guy (author of "You on a Diet") and he was saying that if you crave specific types of foods then it is related to your mood. This is what I remember

If you crave....

meat then it means you are angry

salty/savory then you are stressed out

pasta you are lonely or have sexual tension

There must be more, but I can't remember them. I thought it was interesting that when people are angry they eat meat, because meat is a very violent food in my opinion.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

sugarmouse

Default Re: Your mood indicates what you crave

#

I guess lovesick feelings warrent sugar which releases endorphins..and pasta is full of sugar (carbs)
    crunchy foods release tension and many salty foods are crunchy also.[/COLOR]

I know people tend to crave sweets when they're tired and chocolate when they're lonely.

that definately explains why im always craving salt then!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

that's an interesting theory...do you all find it to be true for you? i know that i don't crave meat even when i'm furious, so i don't know how exactly they determined this.

i know that a lot of books just publish hypothetical theories that have not been researched at all and present them as if they were an established scientific fact. perhaps that's true of this book and perhaps not...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I had a pasta craving today.......i was also craving comfort.

I crave potaotes when I'm sad, lonely, and generally feeling down.

I only crave meat when I'm on my period. I have no idea why. Although now they are becoming fake meat cravings, cravings for veggie burgers or Tofurkey slices. But I do still get some "real meat" cravings.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hmmmmm - wonder if it's an iron thing?

It could be. But is the whole craving what your body needs thing true? It doesn't explain 10pm snack attacks for chips or cravings for chocolate chip cookies.

So, someone please explain to me my mango cravings. I'm eating about 3-4 mangoes a day. Have been for weeks. What mood is that?

sugarmouse

I think you just like mangos

they are sweet though arent they?
    I dont have cravingsrealy..apart from when aunty flow is visiting,then I am just hungrier in general and like comforting food like hot chocolate!
    I do beleive in the body craving what it needs thing..but I would think the sweet craving is your body needing comfort rather than sugar, UNLESS of course you are tired. In that case its seeking energy

I love that 'aunty flow' thing Sugarmouse, I've never heard it called that before
    I crave salty things, I'm definitely stressed!

pavotrouge

I have pasta cravings all the time, but mainly because pasta has always been my favourite staple...so I've been lonely and under sexual tension ever since I was born ?!

Though I know my body tells me what I need, I don't think it is always related to your mood, but can be, i.e. a lot of people with depressions crave carbs.

In China the ying and the yang of foods are very important and I wonder if this fits together with the moods and craving. I would love to learn more but from what I remember meat and spicy things are Yang and things with more water etc..are Ying. It seems to be part of popular culture there. I'm sure that is much more complicated than this. When we let our little girl eat lots of longan fruits people told us that she would become very naughty and hot tempered because she would have too much Yang!

I have only been vegan since the beginning of July but I definitely notice the fact that I crave food a lot less. I find that I feel more satisfied after a meal especially because all the ingredients are good for me. Maybe this will wear off..!

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    I have only been vegan since the beginning of July but I definitely notice the fact that I crave food a lot less. I find that I feel more satisfied after a meal especially because all the ingredients are good for me. Maybe this will wear off..!
    Most likely. I crave food more now as a vegan!

pavotrouge

I also realized I have less cravings, that might also be because as an omni, you tend to consume more processed stuff with glutamate etc. in it that is proved to be addictive...

I just found this article about mood cravings and gender:

Your Foods Cravings May Be Determined By Your Sex
    By Erica Lesperance, R.D., L.D.
    We all have certain foods that we gravitate toward when we are feeling down. Whether these foods include mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese or bon bons and chocolate cake, we call them “comfort foods” because their consumption evokes a comfortable and pleasurable state of mind. But why do certain foods comfort one person and not another? Why do women make up 92% percent of self-reported chocolate addicts, while only 8% are men? Recent research has attempted to shed some light on this issue. Stereotypically, women crave sweets and men crave salty foods.

What Women Want
    Although stereotypes do not tell the whole story, they are usually derived from some truth. One reason women typically crave sweets is that these foods often involve little to no preparation. Researchers at the University of Illinois report that “because adult females are not generally accustomed to having hot food prepared for them and as children saw the female as the primary food preparer, they tend to gain psychological comfort from less labor-intensive foods such as chocolate, candy, and ice cream. "1 Whether the foods are salty or sweet, many women find comfort in them simply because they don’t have to prepare them. Therefore, these women are just as likely to find comfort in salty foods like potato chips and popcorn as they do in chocolate.
    Men & Mom’s Cooking
    What is behind a man’s cravings? Do they really find comfort in salty foods? Again, this is only part of the equation. Research shows that most men find comfort in foods associated with meals prepared by their mothers rather than from snacks and sweets. Men’s comfort foods are often reasonably nutritious, though they still may be high in calories.
    Food & Mood
    A study published in the International Journal of Eating Disorders gathered information about the food cravings and eating habits of 538 women and 506 men. Upon assessing this information, they found that a majority of female cravers experienced a negative mood such as annoyance, boredom, or depression before craving episodes. In contrast, men more commonly indulged in food craving when experiencing feelings of happiness. 2 In addition, further research indicates that while women may reach for comfort foods to improve a negative mood, they are often unsuccessful. They may feel better while eating, but afterwards most women report feeling unhealthy and guilty for giving in to the craving. This is not true for men, perhaps in part because they crave meal-type foods that are usually somewhat nutritious.
    Restrictions Increase Cravings
    Food craving is reported twice as much in women as it is in men. Research indicates that the gender difference could be due to a higher degree of weight concern in women. Social pressure for thinness, which is more pronounced in women, may cause them to more frequently restrict their diets. The simple act of depriving oneself of a food can increase cravings for that food.
    Conclusion
    Current research has only scratched the surface of understanding how cravings develop and why men and women find comfort in a variety of foods. As studies continue to delve into the many differences between men and women, we are likely find that this is a complex issue that involves a combination of biological, chemical, and social differences between genders.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

The last few days I've been craving chocolate chip cookies like CRAZY.

I hate insane cravings because whatever you eat, if it's not the thing you're craving, you're never satisfied.

My moods are all over the place, one minute I'm craving sweet, the next salty, I just satisfy the craving, if it means eating chocolate cake, so what or chips with loads of salt, I don't care, life's too short [yes Blueshark, I know you aren't here anymore to question me on that, but life is too short!]

pavotrouge

I just came across a study about food cravings in a mag my chance- it basically says the same as everyone has already mentioned, but doesn't say anything about eating the craved foods also *really* helps to take care of the mood...

Haha pasta's always been my favourite kind of food

Right now I'm craving fried potatoes (wedges/cubes) and sausages. I never had vegan sausages before, except for vegan breakfast ones. Too bad the stores are closed tomorrow...I'll buy some on Monday!

pavotrouge

Aims, we should start a frustrated pasta eater thread...

I also love pasta. It cooks faster than rice, so when I'm hungry and in a hurry, pasta is the way to go.

I agree that meat is an aggressive type of food. When I used to eat meat I used to be more aggressive. I noticed a much calmer feeling after I switched to a vegan diet. Maybe we don't crave meat anymore when we are upset, because it's not a part of our diet. So our body knows that there is no point in craving that. I also feel like I crave a lot more things now that I am a vegan. I think that this is because a vegan diet allows us to be more in-tune with our bodies. It's a more natural way of eating, so it makes me more aware of how food affects my body.

I crave fruit alot....sometimes in general and sometimes specific types of fruit (berries, melon, etc).

I was craving toast with agave nectar tonight. Don't know why though. Just did