Thread: Am I eating enough?

Default Am I eating enough?

My HHP (health and human performance) teacher says I'm not eating enough to be healthy and support my running.

My typical day is...

Breakfast: fruit and cereal with soy milk or fruit and a bagel with pb

Mid-day: fruit and maybe some nuts

Dinner: veggies in one form or another with rice or pasta (it varies alot)

Evening: more fruit

I just hope she didn't tell me this so she could bash the veganism cause I can eat more, I just don't have time for lunch and don't get that hungry in the middle of the day.

I run on average 4 or 5 miles 6 days a week...

Default Re: Am I eating enough?...

Everyone's different. It doesn't sound like you're eating enough at lunch but I guess it depends if you are a healthy weight and not losing weight.

that is actually low if you are running that much. fruit and veggies are very low in calories. depending on what cereal you are using thats usually pretty low too. therefore if you are not eating all that many calories and then running off 400-500 of it, your health teacher is right.

you can easily add more calories throughout your day while being vegan. consistently doing bagels w. PB is a good idea - or even having half a bagel w. PB as a snack is good. a lot of people also consider a bowl of cereal to be more of a snack sometimes too so you could add another bowl of cereal throughout your day. also trying to get pasta and rice in every night will help as well.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Wishin is right. I would increase your protein intake, eat more beans, soy products, and nuts. I would also increase your healthy fat intake. Try adding olive oil and flax oil to your foods, eating more nuts, and maybe eating avocados more often.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

good call tigerlily! i was forgetting about protein and healthy fats - PB is a good source and I know you are limited on available products so if you cant get tofu/beans and olive oil etc. regularly definitely try keeping you nut butter intake up
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Stu

I think that if you're not too hungry in the middle of the day, you're probably right to not eat a lot at that time. Everybody is different, and your body should tell you when to eat.

My only concern would be the amount you run. Six days a week seems slightly excessive to me; do you think you're giving your body enough time to recover? Maybe you could alternate the types of exercise you do from day to day, so that you're not asking too much of certain muscle groups etc.

Are you low on energy/always hungry/losing weight? If not, then you're fine.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Quote Stu View Post
    I think that if you're not too hungry in the middle of the day, you're probably right to not eat a lot at that time. Everybody is different, and your body should tell you when to eat.

My only concern would be the amount you run. Six days a week seems slightly excessive to me; do you think you're giving your body enough time to recover? Maybe you could alternate the types of exercise you do from day to day, so that you're not asking too much of certain muscle groups etc.
    I do cross training AFTER running sometimes...and life weights occasionally. But I'm a runner at heart, I love it. I literally can't sleep on days that I take off...

Thecatspajamas - No I feel really energetic all the time. I feel strong during workouts and all that jazz. I do get kinda hungry around 4ish every day but I usually get that hunger tamed easily with some fruit.

LittleNellColumbia

just because a peice of fruit can satisfy your hunger and that you have energy doesn't necessarily mean you are fueling your body properly. our bodies are amazing, they will adapt and conserve any way possible in order to survive. however, that doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a healthy amount just because you feel okay. i know that everyones different but at the same time there are levels below which its not healthy. i would talk to your health teacher more or possibly stop by your university's nutritionist just to get a better perspective from a professoinal bc we are not professionals here and probably cant give you the most accurate information.
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

True, true.

I'm talking to her on Wednesday and...y'all have a campus nutritionist? Wow I don't think we do and I didn't know any schools had those!

Default Re: Am I eating enough?

yup! well it says on our dining hall website theres a nutritionist and it gives a number to set up individual appointments. but i see a different nutritionist off campus
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote Annie View Post
    My HHP (health and human performance) teacher says I'm not eating enough to be healthy and support my running.

My typical day is...

Breakfast: fruit and cereal with soy milk or fruit and a bagel with pb

Mid-day: fruit and maybe some nuts

Dinner: veggies in one form or another with rice or pasta (it varies alot)

Evening: more fruit

I just hope she didn't tell me this so she could bash the veganism cause I can eat more, I just don't have time for lunch and don't get that hungry in the middle of the day.

I run on average 4 or 5 miles 6 days a week...
    The breakfast sounds ok. The lunch needs more protein and calories. The dinner might be ok if you had some beans or lentils and a bit of sauce with it. I don't see much essential fatty acids or fat in your typical day, bar the "maybe nuts". Avocadoes and bananas would be good and still be fruit. Are you avoiding fats for some reason? It sounds a bit lilke a weight loss restrictive plan to me.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

If you don't think you have enough time for lunch try taking something potable with you.
    http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
    Vegan lunch box is a site I recommend for anyone stuck for lunch ideas!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/