Thread: Oils

Question Oils

Mornin' all, some questions about oil for you. First, is flax oil the same as linseed oil? I have a recipe for soyannaise which uses flax seed oil. If it is the same as linseed I really don't like the flavour and can't help thinking that the result will taste horrible. Why if they are the same is it referred to by two names? It also uses sunflower oil. My next question is, when a certain oil is stated how interchangeable is it with other oils? Eg what difference would it make if I used olive oil instead of the flax/linseed oil and rapeseed oil instead of the sunflower etc etc? Is it just taste or something else? I often do replace oils but it is very random and dependent on what oil I happen to have at the time.

Seaside

Default Re: Oils

Yes, flaxseed and linseed are two names for the same thing. Its probably a UK/USA thing, like aubergine = eggplant, swede = rutabaga, etc. Oils all have the same textural effect in a recipe. The flavor is the only thing that will change, according to which oil you use. And the nutrient content, of course.

One thing to be careful of in substituting is that, as you probably know, you shouldn't heat some oils, including flax, as it alters their chemistry.

I don't like the taste of flax oil much either but hemp oil (which is another good one from the point of view of getting the right omega oils) is nicer I think. Not sure how it would taste in mayonnaise though. Olive oil seems a much better idea!

Thanks all. I'll use olive oil instead of flax. Will definitely taste better methinks.

Flax might be included because of it's omega contents - I think hemp is also good for that, although it has a greener colour, and I think nuttier taste?

I think sunflower and rapeseed oil are both quite flavourless and cooking friendly so those should be easliy interchangeable.