Thread: Portable vegan breakfasts?

Default Portable vegan breakfasts?

Next week I need to be at the airport really early and I know there'll be nothing vegan there for me to eat. I want to make up some stuff the night before to take with me - for both me and my veggie husband. I'm getting really stuck thinking of things that would taste good cold and be portable.

Can anyone inspire me??

Default Re: Portable vegan breakfasts?

I don't really do breakfast myself, personally I'd probably take fruit, bananas, apples etc.

Otherwise maybe couscous with roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes, but that would require carrying a plastic tub around.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I will take some fruit, but the morning will start at 3am and we won't get chance to eat anything until about 2pm, I reckon. So I need something a bit filling. I'm always really hungry in the mornings. It will be my first time in an airport as a vegan and it was hard enough to find anything to eat when I was veggie. I don't want to be hungry and stuck!

How about peanut butter & jelly on toast or a bagel? Or protein bars? I'm about to face the same dilema for Christmas...

What airport is it? Someone might know what shops there are in it then you might be able to buy some stuff giving you another option.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Peanut butter and salad bagels? Other sandwiches? Dried fruit and nuts? Flapjacks?

The past couple of times I've flown there was the odd hummus sandwich on sale at the airport, but it's probably a good idea to take something just in case.

What about "empanadas"?,there filling yummy and portable,i made them to have on my last flight...theyre a sort of pasties done with an olive oil pastry filled with a mixture of caremelized onions,grilled peppers tomatoes and you could always add some tofu or beans for extra protein...
    or you could have filo pastry pasties with spinach, pine nuts,sweetcorn and caremelized onion....

Oooh pasties sound like a good idea! Even if I don't have much time the night before to make proper pastry I can use frozen. Thanks! I'm never convinced about cold toast or bagels but i might give that a try too!

(It's Manchester Terminal 1). I've flown from there loads and I think they only have the usual sort of shops...

I would take sandwiches... actually, I wouldn't because if I ate and flew, I'd spew!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I would have said pasties but it's already been suggested.
    How about samosas?
    http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/65/...Samosa-Recipe/

Here is what I had for breakfast today:
    2 satsumas,
    handful brazil nuts,
    handful almonds,
    handful dates,
    Large pot tea and soya milk.
    You could take the fruit and nuts, and a flask (thermos) of tea or coffee.
    Also I sometimes have flapjack for breakfast, whch would also be portable.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Or how about some nice fresh bread rolls with your favourite filling in it? Hummus is yum but will always smell no matter how well it's wrapped up! My choice would be vegimite but I know that's not everyone's favourite! And stuff like pasta salad, veggie sausages, sausage rolls, salad, etc... whatever foods you like!

I reccomend tub-its, usually in the supermarket by the food wrap and foil etc - they are semi-disposable, obviously you would throw them away at the airport but if there are some leftover you can freeze and microwave etc in them (if you aren't worried about doing that to plastic!). Best to use stickytape to make sure they stay closed though. Otherwise I reccomend Lock & Lock or similar tubs for watertight-ness! But you'd have to keep & wash those out.

I'd just like to add, for anyone reading this and planning to go through Gatwick - I think it was the north terminal - there is a shop with sandwiches etc that had quite a few indian & felafel things that were vegan friendly as well as about one sandwich in Boots (that brand that does interesting vegan sandwiches, although there was only a felafal one there!). But after security - next to nothing!! Fruit, fruit juice... crisps... not much at all!!

is it easy to find tortillas over there?

Breakfast Burritos/Wraps!

i would buy those huge 12 inch tortillas, and fill them with tofu scramble, beans, potatoes, salsa, guacamole and anything else filling such as sausages or rice and things! wrap it all up, (fold the sides over, then take the other sides and roll it up) put it into some tin foil (wrap it so you can open one end, and munch on it easily with the rest still covered for drips, if you need to re-wrap it, etc). i imagine if you heat it in the oven inside the foil it would day pretty warm, and it would taste good at room temp like burritos and things do.

then bring some fruit and lots of nuts and dried fruit and maybe some soya yogurt and water with. (can you bring that past security? we can't here)

i bring burritos into the car sometimes and they are very filling.

You could bring a bento box filled with vegan breakfast sausage, mini pancakes and maple syrup!
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

^^^ Yes!!! You need Bento TV

Have you tried looking at breakfasts here?
    http://www.vegan-food.net/category/breakfast/
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/