Thread: Environmental Engineering

Soul Rebel

Default Environmental Engineering

Is anyone here and Environmental Engineer? I am a civil engineer designing roads at the present time, but am thinking about switching career paths to something I would enjoy much more, such as enviornmental engineering so I had some questions about the field.

Default Re: Environmental Engineering

i'm an environmental engineering student, I don't know if i can be of any help

ME

i was also a civil engineer designing roads (very uninspiring). I was more interested in the environment side, i was fortunate i spent many years in a material lab and had also done a building studies course. So with the broad experience i had i set my own company up 3years ago

www.ems-asbestos.co.uk

i know, shit website, just trying to get it redone

i am looking for a new consultant if anyone fancies a job??? i already employ one other vegan, another would be great
    I dont get crunchy people?

Soul Rebel

If you had an office in Lexington, KY I would love an interview.

Since you designed roads you know pretty much what I do all day long. What would be an example of your day work wise?

The thing I find most upsetting is when we get a job for a new interstate or highway and I see all the land that is going to be effected and/or taken. It saddens me.

Are you a Professional Engnieer? I'm only and EIT, but need to get off my lazy put and take the PE test.

I was an Incorporated Engineer, which i'm not sure how that equates to your system?? i didn't do a degree so it was pretty much the highest professional qual. i could get.

I worked as a pavement engineer, testing mostly existing roads for residual life and designing the reconstruction.

Now i work on projects redeveloping contaminated land, land that has generally been used for heavy industry and making it suitable for redevelopment.

We also do alot of work with asbestos in buildings and i am just trying to get myself on a course to do waste management, to help people classify, reduce and reuse waste. probably in the new year.

Soul Rebel

Here in the states while you are in college getting your BS in engineering you take a Fundementals of Engineering (FE) aka Engineering In Training (EIT) before you graduate. Once you pass that you have to work for 4 years under a Professional Engineer (PE) and then you can take the PE test. Once you pass the PE test you are a fully registered engineer and can "stamp" plans but with that comes alot more responsibility because when you stamp plans you are acoutable for their accuracy. I have my BS in civil engineering and have passed the FE/EIT. I am eligable to take the PE, but just don't have the drive to do so. I do need to take it though. I've done some reading on environmental engineering and I really think I would like to persue a career in that and leave the highway work. I do have to stay with my compay until April 1st of '07 though so I'm 100% vested in our profit sharing.

even when i was in civils i found i could have a positive influence, promoting recycled materials, more efficient process's. Also offering a different view points on projects.

I once found bats in a building we were to demolish as part of a new link road. From that, i ended up heading a team to finance and establish a local bat group, we also commisioned a flora and fauna study of the area. The study resulted in badger sets being identified, barn owls and several species of different bats also located near the development.

All of these were addressed sympathetically due to my environmental concerns

I have also been looking at SUDS (sustainable urban drainage systems) to prevent localised flooding, resulting from new developments.

So within the normal framework of civil engineering there is alot of positive influence to be had