Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Manchester

Thumbs up Vegan Manchester

From the Viva! website.

Vegan Banquet & Theatre Show

Bridge - 5 Mills, Manchester, Easter Saturday 26th March 2005 7.30 pm

A sumptous banquet of recipes inspired by famous 19th century vegetarians like Shelly, Shaw, and Tolstoy. Followed by Oscar Wilde's comedy " The Importance Of Being Earnest ". Dress as you favourite 19th century character if you like.

Its also the same day as the Viva! Incredible Veggie Roadshow visit.

Tickets £45, £35 conc

Box office tel: 01612279030. Email: wildshowsandfeasts@yahoo.com

PDF file.

Kevster

Sounds good, i'll give it a little thought...

why aren't they doing anything like that in Brighton when they bring the Veggie Roadshow here?!! i'd almost definitely go to that if it was here. sounds like good fun though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Kevster

Heard about this....it has a vegan cafe bit.....

New alternative political bookshop opening in
    Manchester's Northern Quarter...

The Basement, 24 Lever St. is proud to announce the
    opening of a new alternative political bookshop in the
    Northern Quarter. Following in the footsteps of
    Frontline Books, the Basement will stock a diverse
    range of books and merchandise dealing with
    contemporary political and social issues and
    celebrating grassroots culture.

Within the bookshop will be...

A cheap vegan, fair trade and organic cafe
    Free Internet access
    A mini-library for customers to browse some of the
    many titles on sale.
    An information space
    An exhibition space

Manchester has a proud tradition of grass roots
    community action and a diverse culture. Continuing in
    this tradition, the Basement is not-for-profit and
    run by volunteers who were bought together by the
    anti-war movement with a shared vision to bring
    alternative politics and a little colour to
    Manchester's increasingly corporate-owned city centre.

The Basement is located in the Northern Quarter,
    alongside Manchester's last independent shops and
    cafes . As one of the volunteers explains:
    "The reputation of Manchester's Norther Quarter is of
    being a vibrant, happening community but a lot of the
    new additions have been shops with trendy branding.
    We feel we can widen the spectrum a bit. We want
    somewhere to represent the energy and ideas of people
    who think there is more to life than just shopping.
    There are loads of interesting things going on in
    Manchester. There always have been. We want to make it
    easy for people to find them and get involved. Were
    not just a shop, but a gateway to another world."

If you are a Christmas shopper in need of a few
    interesting gifts but weary with consumerism and in
    serious need of a brew, a place to put your feet up,
    check your email and chat about the state of the
    world, than this is the place for you.

Opportunities for photographs of the space will be
    available on the
    Opening Day - 12th December from 11am - 6pm
    Anyone is invited to come along for fun, food, an
    introduction to the space, the odd film, general
    day-time schmoozing and more besides.

Initial opening times will be 12noon - 6pm Tuesday
    -Saturday.

The Basement, 24 Lever St (just off Piccadilly
    Gardens) M1. Opposite Fred Aldous, next to Alpha
    Bootis Books.
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 19th, 2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: vegan manchester thread made from posts in various threads

Has anyone else thought bout going ?

Our son goes out and about with his friends (and his beloved fiancee) in the Greater Manchester area and tells me that Fu's Cantonese Restaurant in Mossley will adapt/veganise dishes if you ask.

I am told the Salt & Pepper Tofu served on a bed of finely cut chillies is worth including as part of the meal.

Fu's Cantonese Restaurant
    27 Manchester Road, Mossley, OL5 9QW
    01457 839 638

Fu's also offer a takeaway service and will deliver within a 5 mile radius if the order is over £15. The prices aren't over the top either!

Over the Christmas holidays he went to a couple of new restaurants where they made him a nice vegan meal ... I'll ask him for the addresses and post the details later.

Update: 19 Jan 2005

Here are the restaurants as mentioned above.

Neither restaurant is vegan, or even vegetarian, but they both prepared my son a nice vegan meal. Whilst some of his friends are vegetarian he's the only vegan (so far) and they look for restaurants that can cater for them all.

Blue Tiffin is in Oldham.

New China Palace Restaurant (they don't appear to have a website)
    3 The Gale, Todmorden Road, Littleborough, OL15 9EW
    Tel: 01706 377664 Fax: 01706 838887.

Both offer a take-away service.

He tells me that both restaurants were busy yet still took the time to discuss just what he could eat with him and the meals in both places were enjoyable.

I'll probably be going to the road show but already have something arranged for the evening.

Anyone else planning on going to the road show?

Default World Vegan Day celebration in Manchester.

Tuesday 1st November - World Vegan Day
    An evening of speakers & free vegan buffet
    Tony Vernelli from VIVA! talking about the impact of dairy farming on cows,their calves and human health.
    Amanda Woodvine BSc (nutritionist from the Vegetarian and Vegan Foundation) talking about why animal products are bad for our health.
    Mary Brady from Real food talking about the practicalities of adopting a vegan diet.

Arrive 6pm for free vegan food.

Speakers will start promptly at 7pm all at The Basement, 24 Lever Street,Manchester.

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Ate lunch at The Basement, the social centre in Manchester that sells exclusively vegan food, with local, organic and fair trade ingredients where possible. Had the excellent Thai curry, followed by chocolate cake, very reasonable prices. I think it's run on a volunteer basis and there's a tips dish to chuck some money in.

Kevster

OK, this is vaguely to do with vegan food.... went to Manchestar today and visited the Benjamin Zephaniah photo exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery, very good it was, then (after a lot of faffing by housemate) made it to the Basement for a snack (too late for proper food) hmmmm, but managed a Christmas cake and chocolate pudding, and a Pitfields beer from the shop out front, it's the only place i've seen Pitfields up North. Then onto Knotts... www.marblebeers.co.uk
    and tried their Ginger ale, interesting, but i don't get on with too much ginger or garlic for that matter, but their organic Manchester bitter was pretty good, if quite bitter, nice.

Kevster

Ate out at The Basement in Manchester yesterday, and had some excellent and very reasonably priced food, i believe it is now open more days in the week, and i can highly recommend it, they have an excellent library and book space and free internet access too.

http://manchester.openguides.org/?The_Basement

Afterward i popped into a Marble Brewery pub (Marble Arch) for beers and the England match, decent vegan and organic ales, i had many....

Has anybody been to the 8th day co op cafe and shop in manchester? Im going soon and wanted peoples opinions. Its a vegetarian/vegan cafe with a health foods etc shop.
    (5/05/06)

I went a couple of weeks back, they had good vegan daily specials in the basement cafe - I had a mushroom pie but also had a mouthful of the carribean casserole, both were very tasty. The vegan choclate cake in the cafe looked very good but I didn't have room to try any. I think they close at 6ish.

Upstairs there is an impressive selection of food in grocery aisles and fridge section, plus cosmetics and supplements.
    And there is a deli counter selling a large range of pasties etc to take away.

I thought it was a great place and I'd be in there often if I lived in the area!

Thanks. I can't wait to go. Someone said is like a half hour walk from the centre. But you make it seem likes its worth it
    (5/05/06)

It's quite near Oxford Road train station - well about a 5 minute walk. I'm not sure how far that is from where you will be.
    Are you just there for the day or for longer? I know of a few other places if you need further options.

Well im going shopping, will be getting off the bus at deansgate then going shopping for the day then going there for tea. Then home. So it will take aout 20 mins to get to oxford street then i add at least 10 mins for finding it as im pretty useless lol! I know theres the basement, but I dont know of any others in manchester...
    (5/05/06)

I went to the 8th day cafe like I said I would. It was AMAZING. I had a vegan pizza, it was great. Then went to shop in the supermarket place on top which was also great.
    (5/05/06)

OMG! is that in manchester??

aaahh eee, i just discovered that place too!

my boyfriend comes from manchester but we live in glasgow. we went back last weekend for a friend's wedding. and en route to the church, we found the 8th day cafe/shop. its amaaaazing!

reminds me of my little health shop back home 'grassroots'.
    eeee!

i wanna go back there again. the cafe was great! i had chocolate cake, lol :|

Quote lozza
    OMG! is that in manchester??

i wanna go back there again. the cafe was great! i had chocolate cake, lol :|
    Yep in manchester! I wanna go back there to so I can have that chocolate cake! I didnt have a desert when i was there
    (5/05/06)

aahh amazing! i cant wait to go back there again. we just discovered it by accident. i was all "eeeee!" in the shop, bounding around like a puppy. i got so excited at all the things they had. did you have a look in the shop? dont you think they have soo much variety in their product range? i do

we enjoyed 8th day when we went there a couple years ago (can't believe it's been that long!) and really enjoyed it. there was another vegan friendly restaurant in manchester that we liked, underneath a buddhist centre, but we can't remember what it was called.

yum yum
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Earth Cafe is the place you are thinking of Moonshadow. It's my fave in Manchester. If i'm in Manc with friends we always go there. I had strawberrry cake last time it was delicious! the juices they make are very nice too Everything they sell is vegan although they have cow's milk as an option for hot drinks. Even if im with non vegan friends they get soya milk to try.

I went to 8th day cafe again looking forward to one of their pizzas with the amazing cheese subsitute on them. So I ordered a pizza, told them I wanted it vegan and it came and had no cheese on it! Then it dawned on me that they must have taken down my order wrong last time, and it was actually cheese and was chowing down on last time and thats why it tasted so similiar. I felt extremely sick!!!

I also feel so stupid, I made it very clear I wanted it vegan and had seen on their website they mentioned they used cheese substitutes in their meals if the vegan option was needed. I assumed this was one of the things they used it on! Should I complain or is this my fault?
    (5/05/06)

Maybe they forgot the cheese substitute this time, or they'd run out, or assumed you didn't want it... there are several possible explanations. If I were you I'd ask for a vegan pizza with cheese substitute next time, and when it comes ask for confirmation. That's what I'd do, I think it's the only way to find out the truth!

Quote Christie
    I went to 8th day cafe again looking forward to one of their pizzas with the amazing cheese subsitute on them. So I ordered a pizza, told them I wanted it vegan and it came and had no cheese on it! Then it dawned on me that they must have taken down my order wrong last time, and it was actually cheese and was chowing down on last time and thats why it tasted so similiar. I felt extremely sick!!!

I also feel so stupid, I made it very clear I wanted it vegan and had seen on their website they mentioned they used cheese substitutes in their meals if the vegan option was needed. I assumed this was one of the things they used it on! Should I complain or is this my fault?
    eeek! :/ no i wouldnt say it was your fault at all. if you asked for vegan the first time round, i doubt they would have given you real cheese. unless they did make a mistake. if so, that'd be a very big one :/

i'd definitely say something about it. maybe not complain but just ask. i'm too scared to get pizza from there now :P

ooh i wanna go back there so much. but alas, manchester is so far away.

[quote=Kevster]I always seem to go to The Basement when i'm in Manchester, it has great food and cakes. I have heard good things about cake at the Earth cafe too....

Hi, Yes the cake is Earth is delicious any of them will do. had strawberry cake last time yum! Ive been to the basement cafe too a couple of times id recommend anyone who's in manc to go to either of them.

I sent the 8th day an email saying that "id noticed on the menu they do vegan pizza on request and that I was wondering if this came with no cheese, or a cheese type substitute". Hopefully Ill get my answer as ive emailed them before and they never replied. Shall keep you updated.
    (5/05/06)

disturbed

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

The Bean Counter
    The Bean Counter Licensed Café/Restaurant is now open in the evening serving an a la carte menu with more adventurous offerings than during the day.

Our opening times are:
    Monday and Tuesday 11:00 - 3:00
    Wednesday to Saturday 10:00 - 10:00
    Sunday 11:00 0 7:00

We serve only food that has been prepared on the premises from raw ingredients with no additives. We always have vegan offerings available.

535 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton, M21 0UE
    Phone: 0161 882 0700

Diamond Dogs
    Small family-run organic vegetarian/vegan café, serving a range of meals and snacks, fair trade tea and coffee, and organic juices and smoothies. All dishes are freshly prepared to order in a microwave-free kitchen. The café has full disabled access, and there is a changing exhibition of local art work. Winner of the Best Coffee award at the Chorlton Fringe Food & Drink Festival 2004.
    Open 10am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday, 9am-5.30pm at weekends.
    52 Beech Road, Chorlton, M21 9EG
    Phone: 0161 882 0101

Oklahoma
    An independent café with 99% vegetarian menu also catering for vegans. All coffee is fairtrade/organic along with others products.
    74-76 High Street, Northern Quarter, M4 1ES
    Phone: 0161 834 1136
    E-Mail: Oklahoma.manchester@virgin.net

Taken from www.realfoodguide.org.uk
    Don't think these have been posted in the thread.
    Anybody been to these places?

Oklahoma
    An independent café with 99% vegetarian menu also catering for vegans. All coffee is fairtrade/organic along with others products.
    74-76 High Street, Northern Quarter, M4 1ES
    Phone: 0161 834 1136
    E-Mail: Oklahoma.manchester@virgin.net

Taken from www.realfoodguide.org.uk
    Don't think these have been posted in the thread.
    Anybody been to these places? [/quote]

Have been to Oklahoma a few times was there last wk but only had a tea. They sell some vegan pasties, ice cream,snack bars probably other stuff but not looked at everything.

inkedmiss

Default Re: Anyone from Manchester?

I have just moved to Manchester too, to Sale, which is classed as Cheshire, but in the Borough of Trafford ! Be nice to get recommendations of decent food places to visit from others in the area
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 19th, 2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: posts moved from the Anyone from Manchester? thread

Sale is nice. I'm right the other side of Manchester in Hyde, which funnily is also classed as Cheshire. Though i just say Greater Manchester.

In the city center there are lots of places, but the best place for food shopping is The 8th Day on Oxford Road. It also has a cafe in the basement which does good food.

Also there is a place in Rusholme called Falafel, one of my favorite places. The Falafel Sandwhiches are possibly the best i've had in this country and are only £2. Plus their humous is gorgeous too!

inkedmiss

I'll check out 8th day when I go into Manchester next. Someone recommended a great chinese supermarket which stocks lots of vegan food too but I can't remember the name (helpful), but I will ask again and check that out too.

Default Re: Vegan Manchester

Yeah. There's a few big chinese/asian cash and carry places too, just out of the city center.
    I am sure there is one on upper brooke street in Brunswick/Ardwick. And i think there is on on Rochdale Road, just out of the Northern Quarter.

Though there are quite a few little shops in China Town, i'm not really sure what they sell as i've not been in for years. I'll have to have a look in a few next time i'm down town like

disturbed

Ashton?

Stu

I used to go swimming in Ashton. You mean Ashton, as in Ashton-Under-Lyne, right?

I sure do mean Ashton Under Lyne.

I live just down the road, in Hyde

I actually learned to swim at Ashton baths. Haha. Though i am unsure if they are closed down, the roof fell in or something.

Ah, lovely Ashton! hahaha.

disturbed

Quote Christie View Post

I believe I am correct in saying that the vegan pizza used to have fake cheese, but they've since stopped putting it on (leading to an altogether unsatisfying meal I feel - although generally the food in 8th Day cafe is exceptional), which would probably explain what's happened in your case.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Manchester is an amazing place.

There is a restaurant in Didsbury called Greens. It's vegetarian, and also offers vegan food (I read that around half their dishes are suitable for vegans). The food is dreamy and although not too cheap, totally worth it.

There is a cafe outside John Rylands Library on Oxford Road, in the Burlington Society building. It offers mainly vegetarian food, but also vegan options. And it's lovely and cosy, and the food has that homemade feel.

There is also a cafe on Oxford Road, called 'On The Eighth Day'. It's downstairs (vegetarian healthfood shop upstairs) and offers vegetarian and vegan food. It's a really great place because they're as anal as we are about food, so you can ask about things which you would normally get funny looks for in normal places and get a serious answer. The other day I noticed all the Clipper teas had Fairtrade and Organic symbols on them, except for the decaff green, and that was the one I wanted to buy. I felt totally comfortable asking about it, without being treated like a freak. One of the staff also rang a company up especially to ask a question for me (about vitamins which were supposed to be vegetarian but said that they may not be suitable for people with seafood allergies - apparently that was because of the kelp in them which may have come into contact with fish). Anyway, they are really friendly.

Unicorn Grocery in Chorlton offers organic fruit and veg, and ethical, cruelty-free, environmentally freindly cosmetics and cleaning products. I haven't been yet, but apparently the pricing is competitive.

The Bean Counter in Chorlton is a cafe which is great for vegans.

And there is Earth cafe, which is vegetarian but is very likely to do vegan foods too.

There are loads of other places too, just look for them on Google.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Found this website after posting about the cafes and restaurants in Manchester:

http://www.veggieheaven.com/guide/manchester.html

disturbed

Quote Akala View Post
    The Bean Counter
    The Bean Counter Licensed Café/Restaurant is now open in the evening serving an a la carte menu with more adventurous offerings than during the day.

535 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton, M21 0UE
    Phone: 0161 882 0700
    This place doesn't exist anymore. I visted and discovered its turned into "TomToms Bar De Tapas". The menu is mostly meat with a few vegetarian offerings, and pricey too. I got the feeling I was a nuisance by asking for a vegan adaptation and they just had to put up with veg*ns who came expecting The Bean Counter to be there. Not recommended.

Diamond Dogs
    Small family-run organic vegetarian/vegan café, serving a range of meals and snacks, fair trade tea and coffee, and organic juices and smoothies. All dishes are freshly prepared to order in a microwave-free kitchen. The café has full disabled access, and there is a changing exhibition of local art work. Winner of the Best Coffee award at the Chorlton Fringe Food & Drink Festival 2004.
    Open 10am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday, 9am-5.30pm at weekends.
    52 Beech Road, Chorlton, M21 9EG
    Phone: 0161 882 0101
    I managed to find this place eventually as its now called Café Cilantro. It has slightly different opening times too, which I can't quite remember. It's completely vegetarian and the menu is labelled with what is vegan/vegan option.

eveski33

Little announcement

Room available to rent in Todmorden.
    310 p/m All incl in Uk pounds
    Vegetarian Kitchen. Wireless Internet, meditation space,
    a very rickety old greenhouse, small garden, near to shops,park and nature.
    40 mins train ride to manchester central.
    To share with one female artist and one cat.
    email: ace_of_cups_art@yahoo.com
    for details. Thankyou

littlemiss

Hello! I'm planning a trip to manchester with my husband (lato-vegi) for a couple of days in june. I was hoping you could reccomend some nice places to eat? Prefrebly quite near the centre as we're staying in a travelodge quite central.
    Also has anyone been to greens recently? We want to go somewhere nice as its a special anniversary for us. Otherwise everything else needs to be cheap
    Anywhere for breakfast too? If not it will be homemade bread and jam.
    Thanx for any suggestions!

disturbed

A reminder of this upcoming event:

Quote http://www.realfood.org.uk/
    The North West Vegan Festival is being held next year on the 26th of January at the Sacha's Hotel Manchester, in honour of Neil Lea, founder of Realfood. Sacha's Hotel is a central venue, right next to the train station in Manchester City Centre, and this event will be well attended and supported by vegan groups across the country. Entrance is free, the many stalls will have lots of free samples for you to try out. There shall be speakers, films, cooking demonstrations, opportunities to meet up with likeminded friends. And non vegans are more than welcome to come along and see what the life style has to offer.
    Quote http://www.veggies.org.uk/event.php?ref=1137

10am to 6pm at Sachas Hotel, Tib St, Manchester, M4 1SH, just off Piccadilly Gardens.

The stallholders will include: Veggies Catering Campaign, Tangipans Kitchen, Earth Cafe, 8th Day Co-op, Baby Cakes, Greyhound Action, CAFT, Europeans for Medical Progress, Dr Hadwen Trust, The Vegan Society, North West Hunt Saboteurs, CAPS, and many more.

Sounds like a fun day out!

I'm going to to go to this. It will be my first visit to a vegan fayre of any type so I am very excited

Quote littlemiss View Post
    Also has anyone been to greens recently? We want to go somewhere nice as its a special anniversary for us. Otherwise everything else needs to be cheap
    Anywhere for breakfast too? If not it will be homemade bread and jam.
    Thanx for any suggestions!
    I went to Greens about 6 months ago. I wasn't that impressed really. It was expensive and very noisy; too big so too many people talking all at once. I had the noodle broth which I wasn't keen on but my friends curry was nice. IMO the Greenhouse is much nicer, both the atmosphere and the food. It also has a bigger selection of vegan food.

You could try the Eighth Day on Oxford road for vegan breakfast.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

littlemiss

Thanx for the reply maisepaisey. (hope i spelt that right)
    I was begining to come to the same conclusion, I looked at the menu for greens but it didnt wow me, (and for that price I want to be wowed) and seemed a little snooty. The greenhouse has had good reviews so we shall eat there. Thanx for the advice for the breakfast too!

Quote Akala View Post
    This place doesn't exist anymore. I visted and discovered its turned into "TomToms Bar De Tapas". The menu is mostly meat with a few vegetarian offerings, and pricey too. I got the feeling I was a nuisance by asking for a vegan adaptation and they just had to put up with veg*ns who came expecting The Bean Counter to be there. Not recommended.
    I'll second that...not a good place to go!
    And it looks like it may go out of business as well soon? Although I've not been past for a while.

Haven't been to Cafe Cilantro, may have to try that one sometime next week