Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Jo has a replacement me now :-(
    ???

Default Re: Vegan Manchester

An alternative supplier of tasty food?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

mango

Just moved to Manchester and it looks pretty good, especially Unicorn. I can't believe the organic veg prices after living in Brighton! Also seems there are a few south-east Asian restaurants that are vegan friendly. I will report back. Also interested in some kind of social if anyone else is?

Unicorn is great, they sell many things I've never seen in Brighton or London. My little brother and sister live almost opposite.

A vegan cupcake from the Sweet Tooth Cupcakery, next door to Cafe Pop in the Northern Quarter (Pop don't have the cafe in the basement anymore) and there is another branch in Chortlon). I think they only have one vegan flavour a day but it was very nice. They also do soya drinks.
    http://sweettoothcupcakery.co.uk/

One of my favourite places to eat when I visit is Laughing Buddha in Didsbury although I didn't get there on my latest visit last weekend.

Not food related but Bags Of Flavor on Tib Street have really nice bags made from old kids curtains, duvets etc. I've got Superman, Spiderman and this Seasme Street bags from there. (Those not in Manchester can buy online now.)

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    One of my favourite places to eat when I visit is Laughing Buddha in Didsbury although I didn't get there on my latest visit last weekend.
    Laughing Buddha is probably my favourite restuarant in Greater Manchester - loooovely food, highly recommended!
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

I'm sure most of you Manchester folks are aware of the cake inspired meetups now taking place every 2 months. I believe the next meeting is in March so a while yet but worth a visit; the weekend's event was a heavenly vision in cake.....

http://www.cakeliberationfront.com/
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Quote mango View Post
    Just moved to Manchester and it looks pretty good, especially Unicorn. I can't believe the organic veg prices after living in Brighton! Also seems there are a few south-east Asian restaurants that are vegan friendly. I will report back. Also interested in some kind of social if anyone else is?
    Hi Mango, I'm a bit late with a reply but hope you're enjoying Manchester - have you found any favourite restaurants yet? I don't know if you're aware but the Manchester Vegan Group meet once a month (I think). I haven't been yet either but keep meaning to! Link here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/manchester-vegan-society/

Sorry if you're already way ahead

Hi folks,

I'd just like to recommend this veggie bistro/restaurant in Manchester city centre. The venue's already established and has been serving meat & veggie options in the daytime for a while now. But the owner's ambition is for it to be a fully veggie/vegan eaterie and he now has a fully veggie/vegan menu for the evenings & weekends. My boyfriend & I went for an anniversary dinner last week and it was lovely - having 3 choices at each course was a treat in itself for me.

Anyway, perhaps for special occasions only, though there are some very reasonable deals on the website: http://www.detoxretox.co.uk/

I'm dying to try out the Sunday lunch!

Jenny x

Thanks for the info fdq. Glad someone else has discovered Laughing Buddha too!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Some upcoming Manchester events....

http://www.manchesterveganandvegetarianfestival.co.uk/
    (The website leaves a lot to be desired but you can also find them on FB and Twitter)

'Meat Free in Manchester' via Veg Soc: http://www.nationalvegetarianweek.or....aspx?pid=1066
    Last edited by fooldramaqueen; Apr 30th, 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Broken link :/

A new £10 lunch deal and the popular £18 offer continues at 1847 (formerly Detox Retox), just off Mosely Street, near Manchester Art Gallery. Entrance is on Booth Street.

Offer 1:
    Main course plus glass of wine, beer or soft drink for £10 (Lunch only)

Offer 2:
    3 courses and a cocktail for £18 (Lunch or dinner)

1847 the Vegetarian Bistro has two great offers running this month.

The first is to mark their extended opening hours – they're now open at lunchtime as well as in the evening.

You get a main course and a drink (either a glass of wine, a beer or a soft drink) for just £10. It's a saving of about £5.50 on the normal price.

It's available lunch times between 1200 - 1430 from Wednesday to Saturday

Offer ends May 31st

To get your voucher, just enter your email address above.

The second offer is the popular £18 deal.

For £18 you get three courses and a cocktail. It's a saving of about £14 on normal prices.

It's available lunch times and evenings from Wednesday to Sunday.

Offer ends April 30th.

To get your voucher, just enter your email address above.

1847 is Manchester city centre's only vegetarian bistro and bar. Until recently it was called Detoxretox. The new name relates to the date the Vegetarian Society was established.

It's been getting great reviews on TripAdvisor and from Confidential ranters thanks to its imaginative take on vegetarian and vegan cuisine.

You don't have to be a committed vegetarian to enjoy food this good – go along and see what all the fuss is about.

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co...etarian-Bistro

I'm due to stay at the Radisson Edwardian on a business trip soon, can anyone recommend anywhere nearby for vegan friendly dinner? Thanks

The post above gives you the best close-by suggestion, I would say If you search for Bistro 1847 on Manchester Confidential, they always have very good offers, and the food is lovely. However I also really enjoy Ning in the Northern Quarter - they have offers too sometimes (google Ning Manchester) and have labelled vegan options.

Many thanks FDQ - don't know my way around Manchester too well as am always making flying visits, I will try to find 1847 - the food sounds very good

No problem - trust in Google maps and you will be fine, nothing is more than a 10min walk away I would say

Still not managed to go to the Meat Free Monday at some random place round here.

http://www.thelass.co.uk/

H
    opefully go to Unicorn this week.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Had an ace vegan breakfast at the thirsty scholar yesterday. So nice to have a totally vegetarian pub in manchester. It's the guy who used to be at the mod pop cafe, so it's good honest food, i've found the eighth day and the earth cafe a bit too hit and miss lately. He's doing themed evenings too, which may be good pre gig.

Is there anywhere in Manchester that do omni and vegan breakfasts? Think we're sorted for dinners for our next visit, have definitely got my eye on Ning their menu looks srummy

Hi,
    I will be flying over to Manchester next week (if my airline allows me to use my miles) so wanted to ask you all which places I must visit when I am there for just 2 days. I need to stock up on my vegan food supplies & beauty products, and of course I would love to eat as much as I can at the same time

I am planning to stay at a hotel downtown so anything that is easily accessible/walking distance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Marrers View Post
    A vegan cupcake from the Sweet Tooth Cupcakery, next door to Cafe Pop in the Northern Quarter (Pop don't have the cafe in the basement anymore) and there is another branch in Chortlon). I think they only have one vegan flavour a day but it was very nice. They also do soya drinks.
    http://sweettoothcupcakery.co.uk
    I'm presuming the branch of Sweet Tooth next to Cafe Pop has closed down now as there is no mention of it on the website. Not a disaster for me as I'll be staying near the Chorlton branch when I visit in a few weeks but is there anywhere in town that does vegan cake? Does that place in Afflecks Palace still do vegan cupcakes? I'm hoping to try Bistro 1847 and Ning while I'm there.

My gosh, this store is expensive...Moo Free Chocolate Santa £4.50! I did not buy one of course, I just noticed it...only £1.50 everywhere else...how can they charge so much? This is the shop on Oxford Road.

I liked Unicorn Grocery, will no doubt buy my eco-things from there, less expensive, depressing how they don't sell chocolate though!!! lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

£4.5 for a choc santa in Eighth Day? Thats really bad, usually I get Raw Chocolate from there and its cheaper than that!

I was in Manchester last week and was staying near Oxford Road so I was at a perfect location to get my vegan stock from Eight Day. I am not very familiar with prices in the UK to be honest, and since I can rarely find any vegan stuff here in Istanbul and when I do I have to pay absurd amounts for it (soya milk alone is about 2.70 pounds!) I didn't -want- to mind the prices at Eight Day! But if they are indeed charging more than twice for an item like chocolate, it is a shame.

£2.70 for milk!!! I feel for you! That sucks!

It is much more expensive there than in Derby.

On my recent visit I had a very nice pizza at Dough, a lovely mock meat take away from Yeopan's in Chorlton and a burrito in Bar Burrito - thanks to whoever posted about these places (if it was here that I saw them recommended, can't seem to find the post now so maybe it was elsewhere).

Also had a really lovely meal at 1847 Bistro. As usual there were good cupcakes in Sweet Tooth in Chorlton too, chocolate with vanilla frosting this time.

Quote Marrers View Post
    On my recent visit I had a very nice pizza at Dough, a lovely mock meat take away from Yeopan's in Chorlton and a burrito in Bar Burrito - thanks to whoever posted about these places (if it was here that I saw them recommended, can't seem to find the post now so maybe it was elsewhere).

Also had a really lovely meal at 1847 Bistro. As usual there were good cupcakes in Sweet Tooth in Chorlton too, chocolate with vanilla frosting this time.
    Yeopan's mock duck is excellent - on a par with the (much pricier) mock duck in Laughing Buddha. The only thing I miss about Whalley Range/Chorlton these days! Except maybe Giro Goro salt & pepper tofu....hmmmm

Heavens, stop telling me all these things when I am meant to be learning how to appreciate money and budget more. lol

I went to Unicorn Grocery today...thankfully the Faith in Nature stuff is not extortionately priced.

For toiletries on a budget, I would recommend a lot of the own brand Superdrug stuff which is marked as vegan where applicable - I've been using their shampoos, facewash, moisturiser, etc. Other vegan products can be mighty expensive, but these are very reasonable! I particularly like some of the Vitamin E skincare products. Both Superdrugs in town have a big range

(Unicorn is lovely though).

Hi, i was thinking of visiting eighth day this weekend - travelling from stoke on trent to manchester - but if the prices are really that high i'm not sure i want to bother and go to sound bites in derby instead!

On my most recent trip to Manchester I found these goodies in Unicorn in Chorlton which I have still never seen in London or Brighton.

Sweet Tooth cupcakery in Chorlton had more variety of vegan cake this time - they had two flavours of cupcake each day as well as a wonderfully gooey gateau - sadly I lost the photos of the whole gateau - it looked amazing - and the cupcakes from the first day, but here are the photos I did manage to save. I have to say I think these cakes were better than anything I've had in London or Brighton recently. The gateau was chocolate malt flavour and the cupcake flavours included vanilla, chocolate and coconut with a mango centre.

I had a rather uninspiring take-away from Yeopans (also in Chorlton). I'd eaten from there before and enjoyed it (although this time I was told the salt and pepper popcorn tofu, which I had last time, contains egg ) but this time there were a few of us eating so we ordered lots of dishes and we found them all a bit samey.

I also had lunch at Bistro 1847 which was just okay - it's good value at £10 for a main and a drink (including wine) but I seem to recall I had a better meal last time. I bumped into Mr Flibble and he hadn't been overly impressed with his meal either. They had just stopped serving so we were told we couldn't get a dessert. I think they should warn you of that, especially since we sat waiting for our plates to be cleared for 10 minutes which is roughly about the length of time we were over 'last orders'.

I want to visit Manchester even more now!!
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

Just so y'all know, I am now up & running selling vegan cakes & other goodies in Manchester now - my cupcakes are for sale most weekends at the tremendous V Revolution on Oldham St in Manchester (vegan lifestyle & record store). My website is: http://cottagecupcakeco.com

I took a quick trip into Manchester and found this lot (the cheesie kale was particularly good):

Sadly Sweet Tooth Cupcakery in Chorlton is closing down on 23rd December.

In better news 1847 have recently opened a second restaurant (in Chorlton).