Thread: Blood Test results

Default Blood Test results

I got back some of my blood tests and thought I would share the results:

Cholesterol: 229 (dropped from 276 when I was lacto-ovo 6 months ago)
    LDL: 144 (dropped from 200)
    HDL: 66 (dropped a bit, but not much)
    VLDL: 0.3 nmol/L (low risk)
    Triglycerides: 95 (<150 is good)
    Bicarbonates: 33 (between 22 and 29 is good, a little high means blood pH is a bit alkaline)
    Omega-3 Index: 5.3% . Below 4% is bad, above 8% is very good. Here's an interesting article on this:
    Low red blood cell (RBC) membrane content of EPA + DHA (hereafter called omega-3 index) has recently been described as an indicator for increased risk of death from coronary heart disease. The relationship between plasma and RBC FA, focusing on omega-3 index, and the response to DHA supplementation were investigated in a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, intervention study. Healthy vegetarians (87 f, 17 m) consumed daily a microalgae oil from Ulkenia sp. (0.94 g DHA/d) or olive oil (placebo) for 8 wk. DHA supplementation significantly increased DHA in RBC total lipids (7.9 vs. 4.4 wt%), in RBC PE (12.1 vs. 6.5 wt%), in RBC PC (3.8 vs. 1.4 wt%), and in plasma phospholipids (PL) (7.4 vs. 2.8 wt%), whereas EPA levels rose to a much lesser extent. Microalgae oil supplementation increased the omega-3 index from 4.8 to 8.4 wt%. After intervention, 69% of DHA-supplemented subjects (but no subject of the placebo group) reached an omega-3 index above the desirable value of 8 wt%. Omega-3 index and EPA + DHA levels in RBC PE, RBC PC, and plasma PL were closely correlated (r always > 0.9). We conclude that an 8-wk supplementation with 0.94 g DHA/d from microalgae oil achieves a beneficial omega-3 index of ≥8% in most subjects with low basal EPA + DHA status. RBC total FA analyses can be used instead of RBC lipid fraction analyses for assessing essential FA status, e.g., in clinical studies.

Before my blood work I did not supplement DHA. But after reading this information and getting my tests back, I plan on supplementing. By the way, I take a Tbsp of milled flax and eat about 6 to 7 walnuts each morning in my smoothie. This was not enough to increase my Omega index.
    The high cholesterol is genetic and since becoming vegan, this is the lowest it's ever been. So I'm pretty happy, and so is my Doctor. I gave him "The China Study" to read and he found it very encouraging and recommends I continue with my diet.
    I still need to get tested for B12, homocysteine, and amino acids. When I receive those results I will post them.
    "Hey everybody, I made some Gazpacho"- Lisa Simpson
    "
    Go back to Russia"- Barney Gumble:D

Default Re: Blood Test results

I think my cholesterol (sp?) is still high, even when I was a meat eater I had high cholesterol but it hasn't budged ... and my weight, I've only lost about 20 lbs not that has anything to do with blood work

but your stats look excellent!!!! woot