Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soya Yogurt

Default Re: The Soya Yoghurt Thread

Thanks! I'll pass this on.
    I called in at my friends house on the way home tonight and he showed me the pot of yogurt..it tasted fine, but was just a lot runnier than cows milk yogurt.
    Aaay!

It goes thicker if you add a little fruit concentrate to it.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Are there any soy yogurts that are lower-cal? Or is the higher number of calories necessary since there's no dairy?

<--- clueless

Plain soy yogurt seems to be lower in calories than sweetened soy yogurts. But for the plain varieties to taste good, I often add a drizzle of syrup. So in the long run, there's no difference calorie-wise. I think soy yogurts contain a little more calories than [low-fat] dairy yogurt because they need the extra sugars to make it taste good.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i need to find the website again but i remember that if you had lemon juice to soymilk and put it in a airthight container then it will turn into soyyogurt but i haven't tried it yet lol.

here is a link but they don't mention the lemon juice..
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Soy-Yogurt

lots of love

annesophie

I love Alpro plain yogurt. I just put loads of fruit in a bowl and add a few tablespoons of yogurt on top. Guess you could add chopped nuts to add to the flavour.

prilly-pie

i wish they did the plain in individual pots !!

me too - i like it but i can rarely eat a whole tub before it goes mouldy
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Same over here too. I can't find plain in small pots.

You lot just need to learn to be more greedy like me.

lol Puffin - i don't eat it on it's own or with fruit though, i'm not too keen on the taste. i prefer to eat it with strong savoury food: curry, mexican food etc. plus it always seems to get pushed to the back of the fridge so i forget it's there and i dig it out later and find it's grown its own eco-system
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Sojasun do plain in smaller plastic pots - I think they're about 1/2 - 1/3 the size of the Alpro tubs. They also do glass jars, and while they're mostly fruit flavoured, I think they may also do a plain version.

oh yeah, i've seen those Sojasun jars, i tried a fruit-flavour one and it was nice. they're really expensive compared to Alpro though, not sure if i've seen a plain version but it's worth a look.

The Soyasun plain yogurt is great. I love the flavoured ones, they're really refreshing but really expensive too. And small

Sojasun do do a natural yogurt (don't know where to get it from other than Goodness direct tho'!)

the wholefood shop i go to sells Sojasun, but it costs about £1.50 for a tiny jar which is more expensive than a large tub of Alpro

That's obscene really isn't it?? Do you think it's because it's in a glass jar rather than a plastic pot??

that may have something to do with it, and also Sojasun are probably a smaller company than Alpro so i guess their running costs are higher.

presumably the glass jars are better for the environment though

Quote Gorilla View Post
    the wholefood shop i go to sells Sojasun, but it costs about £1.50 for a tiny jar which is more expensive than a large tub of Alpro
    uh... you're being waaay overcharged. Cooks Delight in Berkhamsted is not a cheap shop, and they sell the glass pots of sojasun for about 65p each.

True...the glass ones are probably more readily recycled than the plastic ones!

I don't suppose there's a brand of soy yogurt in banana flavour is there? I have a real hankering for banana yogurt for some reason....and natural yogurt and a banana is just not cutting it!

Quote twinkle View Post
    uh... you're being waaay overcharged. Cooks Delight in Berkhamsted is not a cheap shop, and they sell the glass pots of sojasun for about 65p each.
    *shrugs* i've never seen it anywhere else so maybe this particular shop is charging too much. but Brighton is not a cheap place to live!

i know what you mean about banana yogurt PI, there's something about the flavour that's nothing like fresh banana, or so i remember from eating dairy ones... i wonder what they do to it?! i think one of the Alpro flavours has banana in it, but with another fruit like strawberry or something?

I don't know what they do to it Gorilla (actually it's probably best not to think about it too much I guess knowing food manufacturers )....but I would love a banana yogurt I can only get the strawberry or raspberry and vanilla alpro ones locally so I've never seen one that contains banana - dammit!!

i think Alpro do a range of yogurts that are aimed at kids called Oy (like the milkshakes) and one of those flavours is banana and something. it doesn't really taste like the dairy banana yogurts though, you're probably right it's best not to know why they taste like that!

You guys have way more soy yogurt variety than here.

yeah. i'd love to live in the uk. the last time i were in london, we could buy the alpro 500 g. soy youghurts for about &#163;1,5, here they cost about &#163;3,5!! for the exact same thing.

I love Alpro soya yoghurts - and I am another greedy that can scoff the big tub of plain to myself no problem. I eat it with spicy food too like curries, chilli, tacos and fajitas, but it is also a delicious dessert with agave nectar (or maple syrup) drizzled over it and a sprinkling of trail mix/chopped nuts and seeds. I always feel very Gillian McKeith when I eat that!!!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

prilly-pie

OR put it in our own tuppa ware pots perhaps?? tightly sealed?? re-usable too!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    *shrugs* i've never seen it anywhere else so maybe this particular shop is charging too much. but Brighton is not a cheap place to live!...
    I just wondered if maybe someone had misread the stock-list and had genuinely put the wrong price on? It might be worth querying it with them. We are talking about the small glass pots, about the size of individual baby food servings, aren't we? Because the plastic sojasun pots are about £1.50 around here as well.

yeah they're the little jars, they do look a bit like baby food now you mention it. they've always been that price here and i've only ever tried them once because they were on special offer, reduced to 99p i think

Quote Gorilla View Post
    They are overcharging. It should be around 65 pence.
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/414135.html
    for mail order.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Oh man. If I go to the UK, I'll have to try Alpro and Sojasun yogurts. That Sojasun ingredients list looks great, nothing chemical at all (unlike a lot of soy yogurts here)!

Default Re: The Soya Yogurt Thread

It's nice because in the states they have single serve of every flavor including the plain. The reason there are more calories in soy yogurt is because there is added sugar, not to make it taste better but for the yogurt cultures to be able to thrive, otherwise they'd die because there's not enough sugar in soya itself. ^_^ hope that helped answer that question!
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote moochbabe View Post
    It's nice because in the states they have single serve of every flavor including the plain. The reason there are more calories in soy yogurt is because there is added sugar, not to make it taste better but for the yogurt cultures to be able to thrive, otherwise they'd die because there's not enough sugar in soya itself. ^_^ hope that helped answer that question!
    but the plain soya yoghurt in the UK doesn't have sugar, so i'm not sure if i buy that explanation for adding sugar.otherwise surely it wouldn't even be possible to have sugar free soya yoghurt, which it clearly is cos i have some right now!i'm not trying to pick holes or anything, just not sure how valid that info is.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Alpro Organic Black Cherry and Organic Mango and Peach are my favourites. Not too sweet. Just had a cherry one. Mmmmm..
    I have made soya youghurt twice before but it was rank, sorry. Probably my fault but it was a bit grim.

Oh, I'm so jealous! We have barely any choice for soy yoghurt in Australia!

prilly-pie

alpro soya plain mixed with a teaspoon of coffee granules.. left to go very very cold.. 20 mins in the freezer perhaps.. is fantastic

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

hi i've seen there is a lot of recommendations for soya yog in curry- how do i do that? does any1 have recipe on how to make it from the basics- that would be great! I have 3/4 of a pot left and would hate to waste it. It isn't that fattening either

thanks very much
    yum
    xxx

Alpro natural yog left in the back of a very cold fridge so that it goes very slightly icy. Food of the devil!

journey

Any homemade soy yogurt making folks still around? I've recently started to make may own and love it.

After several very successful batches, though, I'm starting to get failures (looks like mold on top of some of the containers and smells real bad). Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Could it be that I'm reusing the plastic cups from commercial yogurt? (washed and dipped in scalding water very briefly). I made it several times all in one large widemouth container (insulated plastic though), and it was fine.

Should the containers be glass? I used to make it in large plastic containers and never had this problem. (I went with small plastic cups because when I made it in one large container, it got too runny after transferring to individual cup containers. And the plastic cups fit easily into the cooler I'm using for incubation.)

I'll try the large plastic container again, and look for a large glass container - any ideas?

I recently tried some of the Ricera rice yogurt - I bought the vanilla flavour.

I realize everyone has different yogurt preferences but I found it very sour and totally unedible. I even thought that it may have gone off it tasted so bad!
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Our school store only seems to stock the WholeSoy strawberry and, when lucky, blueberry. Which I like, but I REALLY love the lemon flavor. Haven't tried any other soy yogurts.

Ditch soy yogurt and try coconut milk yogurt - it's incredible. So Delicious has several flavors.

Today they had apricot-mango...YAY! I got two and a blueberry.

journey

Default Re: Soya Yogurt

Am I the only one making homemade soy yogurt? I've been doing so for a few months, it's coming out great.

I'm saving huge amounts of money (I eat a lot of yogurt), and also good for the environment (not wasting all the plastic yogurt cups), and also control what goes into it.

I've used the incubation in the picnic cooler method (mostly worked, but not entirely consistent for my situation, with 2 or 3 failed attempts), but works perfectly consistently with a yogurt maker (more consistent heat source, less chance of me contaminating it.)

I'm fine tuning the recipe now - experimenting with adding potato starch and agar to make it thicker/less weepy (idea's from Bryanna Clark Grogan's website). Tried agar flakes and were hard to work with, so will try agar powder next.

Best part is, it's really really easy, and saves me a lot of trips to the store.

Default Re: Soya Yogurt

I would love to do that homemade thingy...I would probably do that during the summer or next year, when I have a kitchen and time to organize myself. For now I'll settle washing out the cups and readying them for recycle.