Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soya Yogurt

Default Soya Yogurt

how do you make homemade soy yogurt?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I wish there was some other type of yoghurt other than soy - like rice.

If you leave soy milk in an uncovered jug in the fridge for a few days, it usually starts to thicken and turn into yoghurt (those little bugs are everywhere and will move in at the earliest opportunity, it seems).

I have got a method somewhere for making more yoghurt starting with some of the stuff in the jug as your "culture" - I'll try and dig it out.

Hi

I bought a yoghurt maker from Lakeland and started off with the organic soy yoghurt and the organic soy milk.

The homemade stuff tastes much nicer and it's so easy to make.

Aurora

Ok so does organic soy yogurt has the live bacteria in it you need? How does the machine work and what milk do you use, home made or shop bought? Also is Lakeland the manufactures or the shop you bought it from?

Default using soy yogurt

i generally just eat my yogurt plain or with fruit or cereal. however, i've got about a quarter of a tub that has been in my fridge for a while. it's still good, but i'd rather use it in something rather than eat it plain. any ideas? maybe in bread or something?

Bung it in a curry.

yeah i like to use soy yogurt as an accompaniment to curry or as a substitute for sour cream with chilli or nachos, because i can't get vegan sour cream where i live.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

make some tzaziki with it!
    grate some cucumber into in, bit of crushed garlic,squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped mint leaves and a bit of seasoning mmmmm

Thumbs up WholeSoy & Co cherry "yogurt"

i found this at my grocery store and thought i would try it. i'm glad i did! it is so good! i like it even better than the regular yogurt i used to eat pre-vegan days. it also has a certified vegan symbol and on the back has this highlighted phrase that says:

"vegan - casein, whey & gluten free"

i love that they labeled the container. i think all vegan products should do that - it would make shopping so much easier.

this past week i've been eating it everyday and monitoring how many my boyfriend has.

has anyone else tried this or the smoothies? i'm not a big yogurt smoothie fan but since i like the yogurt so much i'm thinking of trying it.

Default Re: Soy yogurt

THAT sounds like a delicious idea.

Default Re: WholeSoy & Co cherry "yogurt"

Quote soyisamazing
    i found this at my grocery store and thought i would try it. i'm glad i did! it is so good! i like it even better than the regular yogurt i used to eat pre-vegan days. it also has a certified vegan symbol and on the back has this highlighted phrase that says:

"vegan - casein, whey & gluten free"

i love that they labeled the container. i think all vegan products should do that - it would make shopping so much easier.

this past week i've been eating it everyday and monitoring how many my boyfriend has.

has anyone else tried this or the smoothies? i'm not a big yogurt smoothie fan but since i like the yogurt so much i'm thinking of trying it.
    I LOVE Wholesoy. A while back I e-mailed them and asked for coupons, and I recieved 8 FREE PRODUCT COUPONS!!! 2 for the small yogurts, 2 for the large tubs of yogurt, 2 for the smoothies, and 2 for the frozen yogurt.

ConsciousCuisine

And you are just now sharing this with us?

Actually, I shared it March 11, 2005. I started a thread titled 'Wholesoy'. I would've showed you, but I don't know how to do a link to it.

SORRY!! I remembered wrong--I got REGULAR coupons for the Wholesoy, not free ones. I got FREE ones from the Luna Bar people.

okay, i just did the uncovered jar thing - exept i used a couple of tablespoons of soy yoghurt as a "starter" - so now i'm just gonna wait, and hope for the best.

once i tried the heating a litre of soymilk, and then waitning until it was "finger hot" and then adding a tablespoon of soy yoghurt and putting it in a airthight container, and keeping it at room temperature, two times, but both times it got really gross and had a wierd texture. have anyone tried this with succes? and if so, how?

Default Alpro Soya

I have recently seen that Alpro now do organic "yoghurts". This seems to be a new product, so let's hope people buy it.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Alpro Soya

they were pushing in the supermarket the other week with little taster pots, it was nice.

PygmyGoat

They've been around for ages haven't they, just 'improved' lately. I do like them but they not exactly 'natural' (look at the ingredients!! ).

yea, several years in major supermarkets i'm affraid

They've changed the packing design and are now their filling them with crap like omega oils for people with unbalanced diets (further reinforcing the fact that alpro's primary target market these days is obese omnis who've been told they'll die in a year unless they cut down on cholesterol). They don't seem to taste any different, unlike the new fresh so good stuff that tastes like gnat's piss.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    yea, several years in major supermarkets i'm affraid
    What, the organic ones? I'd not seen organic ones before. I thought they were new.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Indeed. They are generally about 20-30p more expensive, only one flavour type (i.e. not a version of an existing one). You may well have bought them and not realised.

Even the organic ones - they would have been in with the organic diary stuff.

I've not seen organic diaries before

Generally they've been in the same section as others (Sainsburys, Tesco, Co-op)

They are black cherry flavour i think. Very nice.

I've not seen organic diaries before

Ell - Oh - Ell

They've changed the packing design and are now their filling them with crap like omega oils for people with unbalanced diets
    I've noticed that, they all now have omega 3 & 6 in, with other random things to I think...I only have the milk and the rasperry and vanilla yogurts though. lol Don't think they are organic.

I'm an alpro addict

It's the only plain soya milk I like. The choc and vanilla desserts are yum (caramel and forest fruits are icky). I love the OY shakes (choc, strawberry, banana). Never been a fan of plain cow yoghurt so don't like the plain stuff, but the big pot of forest fruits is really tasty. The best 'yoghurt' has got to be the peach (though the accompanying strawberry is a bit bland).

I noticed the cherry as organic before and only because of the difference in price vs. the other 'yoghurts'. I did spot the re-branding of some things recently though...

The organic hike is a given... but even on the non-organic they are expensive, compared to equivalent cow products. Just hope we don't see new packaging, new higher price gimmick

Veryblue2

Quote Veryblue2 View Post
    The best 'yoghurt' has got to be the peach (though the accompanying strawberry is a bit bland).
    I've noticed now they do four backs of cherry, peach, strawberry and vanilla and rasperry flavour on there own now...

"Animals are not ours to Eat, Wear, Experiment On or Use For Entertainment"

i like the vanilla and raspberry ones best

pavotrouge

Raspberry I'm looking forward to that being introduced into the Germany market, so far I've been adding fresh raspberries to the plain alpro yoghurt (I can only get the cherry, peach and mixed berry yoghurt here)!

At least they finally sell the banana shake here, too... and haven't I noticed it before or has Alpro just recently added B12 to the former calcium enhanced plain soymilk?

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    haven't I noticed it before or has Alpro just recently added B12 to the former calcium enhanced plain soymilk?
    Its been added to the calcium and vitamins one for the last few years at least here.
    I don't think its in the organic one.
    And yes, the raspberry yoghurts are nice.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default The Soya Yoghurt Thread

Can I freeze Soya yoghurt?

I doubt it but I thought I'd ask. My supermarket only sells HUGE pots of soya yoghurt and some of my recipes need things like 2 tablespoons, then I don't need any for ages and end up throwing it away.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Greentara 1; Dec 12th, 2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Missing original titles after being merged

Default Re: Can I freeze soya yoghurt?

You could try a small amount first before trying to freeze a few tubs.

The texture might change but I think might be the only negative side effect.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

nervine

I think it would be ok it you give it a stir one it has melted. I would eat it the same day though. I wonder if the live bacteria stuff survives freezing temperatures.

All the alpro stuff says "Do not freeze", hence I've never tried. I would have thought it would change the consistancy, as happens with other soya products including tofu.

Well I freeze Alpro chocolate yoghurt, 'cause I've always been one to break the rules
    Anyways, it's delicious!
    It turns to ice cream like stuff, way better than Swedish Glace!
    Yum...So I would say go ahead!!!

Is it an actual chocolate yoghurt (we don't have this here) or the dessert? I think the dessert would freeze ok but it isn't actually yoghurt its more like a soya pudding.

Quote EFCliz View Post
    I doubt it but I thought I'd ask. My supermarket only sells HUGE pots of soya yoghurt and some of my recipes need things like 2 tablespoons, then I don't need any for ages and end up throwing it away.

Thanks.

Are these the litre pots of plain yoghurt? It is delicious spooned onto curries and chillis, also it should keep for a week or so in the fridge.

Ummmmmmmmmm...

Oops my mistake! It was the dessert!

Well if it was me I would try freezing it, lol.

xxx

Also it is nice mixed with a little fruit cordial, or tinned fruit.

I don't care what the cartons say - I freeze the individual pots of Alpro fruit yoghurts, then you can squeeze them halfway out and eat them like a giant frozen-yoghurt lolly

You could probably mix your plain yoghurt with jam then freeze it in lolly molds. I don't think it would work to freeze it then defrost it again because, as MrFlibble says, it would probably alter the consistency once defrosted, but then, it's worth experimenting if it would go to waste anyway.

Oh, good idea!

i think no. a pot i once had got frozen and when it defrosted it was all icky and lumpy and gross. i think it'd be fine as frozen yoghurt but not defrosted. however, it's just SO good to eat...so just enjoy the rest with chopped dried figs once you've used it in your recipe!

Quote triona.d. View Post
    i think no. a pot i once had got frozen and when it defrosted it was all icky and lumpy and gross. i think it'd be fine as frozen yoghurt but not defrosted. however, it's just SO good to eat...so just enjoy the rest with chopped dried figs once you've used it in your recipe!
    Or in a smoothie as a replacement for the soy milk. Makes it extra thick and yum.

Question The Soya Yoghurt Thread

a non vegan friend of mine makes their own yogurt using cows milk but has recently converted to using soya milk and is asking me for advice. Seeing as i don't have very much to do with yogurt in any form i'm asking does anyone here make their own yogurt using soya milk? if so does it yield similar/good results? edible? tasty?
    any help would be appreciated, thanks

Default Re: using soya milk to make yogurt

I did some years ago when I had a yoghurt maker but I could never get it as thick as the shop bought stuff. Maybe I was going wrong somewhere.

My friend tells me the soya yogurt to be is sitting on the wine heater and will be checked for results in the morning!

I've got my fingers crossed for you; hopefully it turns out good for breakfast.

Here is an easy way of making yoghurt, the page is in swedish but I'll translate it for you. To make the first batch you are instructed to use Yosa wich is an oat-based yoghurt. If you can't get this you'll have to experiment with some other product with live yoghurt-culture (I guess there are several soy based ones to choose from). Sorry for the following quick and bad translation, but the images are quite illustrative

http://www.oxon.se/yoghurt/

Translation:

This is what you need:
    1 liter soy milk (room-temperatured
    1 small package of Yosa, 150g, (preferable Fruits of the Forest)

Pour out some of the room temperatured milk from the box. Add the small package of yosa. Don't fill the box completly, in order to shake it you'll need it to be some air ontop. Now shake it good or you can pour the contains over to a bowl and wisp it. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil or if you use the cardboard box, close the lid and let it rest for 2-3 days in room-temperature. Shake it twice a day, if you use the box and have closed the lid then open it and let the gas pour out. = Important!

Pour some of the yoghurt on a spoon, if it's thick then put it in the fridge (the thickening-process(?) will stop). It will be good for a few days in the fridge. Save some of it and use it as a yoghurt culture in your next batch , that way you won't need to buy Yosa all the time.