Thread: Peanut butter - how much is too much?

Default Peanut butter - how much is too much?

greetings! i've been vegan for only about a month. but even this early, I'm concerned that i'm relying too much on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

here's my typical daily menu:

Breakfast:
    - peanut butter and jelly
    (Kraft salt & sugar peanut butter, Welsh's Grape Jelly, Rye Bread)
    - rice milk
    - bowl of organic apple sauce

Lunch:
    - vegetable dish
    (lentils, canned red kidney beans, chick peas, broccoli, carrots, brown rice, and occasionally spinach)

Dinner:
    - same as breakfast or lunch (usually it's peanut butter again)

i tend to want to have the exact same thing every day, if only because it's so much simpler. the problem is, i think that's a lot of peanut butter!

how bad is peanut butter's fat content, compared with meat or cheese?

also, I tend to feel extremely tired after having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. i'm wondering if this could be the fact that i sometimes substitute the Grape Jelly for this extremely sugar-filled Cherry and Blueberry jam -- it's practically like pie filling.

or is it more likely the peanut butter that makes me feel sleepy? do high fat foods tend to have that effect? i find this odd, espeically when i tend to sleep >10 hours sleep at night.

also, i have a strong family history of early heart attacks and heart disease. is peanut butter a big threat?

thanks in advance for any advice,

tasaio

Default Re: Peanut butter -- how much is too much?

Kraft peanut butter isn't the healthiest. It's full of added sugar and hydrogenated oils. You should switch to a natural peanut butter (that only contains peanuts). You can also try switching to a different kind of nut butter...cashew, almond, etc.

I don't think you need to worry so much about the fat in peanut butter. You aren't getting any fat otherwise.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Vegan Traveler

Hi Tasaio! I think that more important than your large comsumption of peanut butter is your lack of diversity.... Are there other foods you like? Do you have a good vegan cookbook? There are so many different foods you can eat as a vegan and your current diet is definately lacking in some nutrients.. Check out the forum and ask lots of questions.. Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Hi Tasaio,
    Once you have a good recipe book try sitting down and making a small list of a few recipes you would like to try in the week ahead and then make a shopping list. When I get organized enough to do this myself it makes deciding what to have much less daunting. Hope you find some things you like to put in your repertoire

nervine

The Sommerfield peanut butter contains raw cane sugar, roasted peanuts, palm oil and salt. I think that's sort of the healthiest you'll get apart from the ones that are made of just peanuts.

There's a great peanut butter, marketed to kids, at Whole Foods which is organic, contains no hydrogenated oils and DOES NOT SEPARATE. It also tastes great.

if you really love peanut butter (i can relate) you might try almond or cashew butter for just a bit of variety. they are oh so yummy!

sorry, i can't help you with the health benefits, although i'm sure you'll need some more fruits and veggies in there...but i keep a lot of peanut butter around "just in case". it's handy in non-vegan situations.

Mahk

I love PB & J, but limit my consumption because it's high in fat (calories) and sodium (if salted). I think this is true of all nut butters and I'll agree cashew/almond makes for a nice change. I buy all natural "Teddie" in a glass jar. It does separate over time if left UN-refrigerated. But I make it a point to refrigerate it and I actually make it a point to avoid store made PB because I don't trust their sanitation conditions. This may sound odd to many of you, but I believe PB factories are tested regularly (to monitor the potential of aflatoxins contamination) better than at local stores. If you ever see even a dot of mold on the surface; throw the whole thing out and wash your hands! Aflatoxins are so lethal, it was rumored to be a possible biological warfare agent Saddam Hussein was developing:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

for variation, buy an almond butter (my favourite), fill the middle of celery stalks with it or cut up slices of apple and dip them in or spread the slices with a little nut butter - yum!

Default Re: Peanut butter - how much is too much?

I am addicted to peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Since becoming a vegan (~ 1/2 a year) I have pretty much eaten .. 200 banana and peanut butter sandwiches. This is one thing I haven noticed since becoming a vegan.. I tend to become fixated on one food type and crave it, love it.. eat a lot of it. I wonder if it is the ease of the simplicity of it.. or if there is another more physiological explanation. Anyways, I really need to diversify and put more effort into eating my eating habits.

i think you should stick to no more than one sandwich with peanut butter a day, it makes you feel too full, and then you don't have room for all of the nice, healthy veggies! make some hummous or bean/lentil spread, make a sandwich with that and a lot of veggies, like salad, cucumber, tomato, diced beetroot, or other yummies. and keep it to whole wheat bread and rye bread as you said you eat.

also, make sure to get loads of the dark green, leafy veggies like kale and spinach, broccoli (for the calcium), bright orange/yellowish veggies for beta caroten, sea weeds are really good too, and all of the other veggies for that matter. and eat loads and loads of fruits.
    maybe try to make a dahl - it's really good, and filled with protein (and if you add veggies) lovely nutrients. eat it with brown rice, for fiber. your body will love you for it! for info on the dhal, try "bananas dhal tread in here. it has some yummy recipes.

there are a number of really healthy nut butters out there without the added salt and sugar (some a sweetened with fruit juice) and they are DELICOUS! i'd really urge you to search them out, good luck, t
    p.s. i must say i agree with others that you could do with diversifying your meal plan a bit! take care, t

I too am a self-confessed peanut butter addict

I always get the organic, no added sugar stuff and usually have about 2 tablespoons of it spread on toast for breakfast.

I reason with myself that it's good for protein and therefore healthy And aside from peanut butter and avocados my diet is relatively low in fats, so it's not too naughty really...
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

I understand your fusteration.
    As a new vegan, I became hooked on the regular pb sandwhiches, finding myself eating 2 a day. But the high sugar can give you a quick spike then a low, just like the fat can make you tired and sluggish.
    Try learning about other quick & easy vegan foods you can enjoy and make in a snap like your regular peanut butter and jelly, but dont give up the sandwhichs just switch things up a bit and enjoy all the other yummy vegan foods out there.

msbliss

I worry that getting in a food rut so soon may lead you to think being vegan means you "can't eat anything." Feeling deprived makes you miss old ways of eating, IMO. I say experiment with nut butters, vegan butter and organic no-sugar-added preserves for your sandwich/toast cravings. And of course, please give some of the easy recipes a try and eat as much fruit as possible to satisfy the sweet tooth!

One of the first things I bought was a big tub (almost a vat!) of pb when I went vegan, but my addiction is actually hummous - can't get enough. However, I'll tell you a secret PB treat if you all promise not to screw your noses up until you've tried it... Spread a layer of natural pb on your wholegrain toast, then a thin layer of vegan ketchup. Sounds gross I know, but try it and you'll be hooked, I promise!
    Kia kaha e hoa, kia ora

Gorge yourself stupid on the stuff. It rocks.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

I also reckon 2 tblsp or 60g a day should do it. It's just so delicious though, isn't it? I feel so sorry for people who are allergic to peanuts.

I love peanut butter and can eat it by the spoonful but I always buy pure peanut butter with no other added ingredients and definitely no hydrogenated oils. I like other nut butters too but have only found those with added ingredients, ie palm oil. Anyone know of any brands without?

Biona Organic Cashew Nut Butter is 100% Cashews only
    Biona Organic Hazelnut Butter is 100% Hazelnuts only
    Biona Organic Almond Butter is 100% Almonds only
    Meridian Almond Butter is Almonds and Sea Salt

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Thanks for your help Poison Ivy I'm addicted to cashews and particularly like cashew nut butter. I'll have to look out for more Biona products.

I've been addicted to peanut butter for a loooooooong time. I used to eat ones with added palm oil & sugar & salt.

I've recently switched to an all-natural one thats made purely out of peanuts. Not even any oil I feel so much healthier, and I'm adjusting to the taste. I use sugar-free jam as well [the SWEETEST one I've ever come across] - it makes a pretty good, healthy combo

I really do need to control myself though, cos I could eat half a jar of peanut butter in one go. I need to force myself to eat less of it. Not that its bad for you but it does notch up your calorie intake.

I'm a bit suprised that no one else (that I saw at least) has mentioned the fact that you may be getting tired because you are sleeping too much. Sleeping more than 10 hours a night is actually bad for your body. It may not be the peanut butter at all!

Once I tried other nut butters I never went back to peanut butter (so mundane). Almond butter has a better ratio of fats. And sunflower seed butter (Sunbutter) is so yummy, and everyone knows sunflower seeds are a health superfood.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Peanut, almond, cashew butters are staples of mine, and I like best to grind my own of mixed nuts; that way, I can control what goes in. Also, you can grind small amounts, so you know it's fresh.

Of course, I buy a lot of peanut butter now that I have a dog (since February); he usually gets some in his food. This was one thing I think helped him put on weight; he was totally emaciated when I got him. Lately, I get "Greg's Organic" peanut butter--a small brand, doesn't even have its own website.

As an aside, I knew a Brit a few years ago who complained about "quintessentially American" things like: popcorn, chewing gum, and peanut butter. I guess going vegan makes you more open-minded?

I can relate to loving peanut butter. Wheat toast with peanut butter is my favourite comfort food. I have intense peanut butter cravings at night - my psychiatrist said it might be because depression affects the adrenal gland and makes you crave salt.... that might be why I always crave salty soup/broth, pretzels, and peanut butter!

I agree with earlier posts that you should try natural peanut butter- cashew is my favourite. It is kind of annoying having to stir the sepereated oil back into it, but it definately is better for you than the kraft stuff. Plus kraft is evil, they are owned by Philip Moriss after all.

I am addicted to peanut butter. Even before I went veg, I was a peanut butter freak. I eat it by the spoonful. If my mom didn't lock it away (yes, that is how much I crave it) I would be 200+ pounds.

Stupid peanut butter. So creamy and smooth and nutty!

At least I eat the healthy kind. Laura Schudder's is my fav. I love skippy of course, but it's full of additives and perservitives and all sorts of crap that clogs your arteries and makes you unhealthy.

I don't like nuts, especially peanut butter. Macadamias are my only exception - and I have to say, macadamia butter in medjool dates is god's gift to me

My husband likes peanut butter, and I buy him one that is 100% peanuts. I make him peanut butter sandwiches probably 3 out of 5 days a week. Nothing wrong with it nutritionally - as long as your diet is balanced. It is a cheap and easy source of protein too

honestly i dont think you can have too much. unless youre very sensitive to fat. i always found i lose weight on a healthy whole food diet, regardless of how much fat i eat. i can use oil to cook with, full fat salad dressings, as much vegan butter as i want and nut butters, and it has no effect on losing weight when i eat a whole food diet.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

sugarmouse

Quote stickydate View Post

My husband likes peanut butter, and I buy him one that is 100% peanuts.

I want I want!! I Wish they had that here in the UK!

You don't have natural peanut butter in the UK? I have a friend living in London and she told me the food is horrible there - apparantly Australia has the best food in the world (that is my experience as well)

Sugarmouse, there are peanut butters here that are only made of peanuts, but you may have to hunt around a bit.

I have a 1kg pot of Meridian peanut-only peanut butter (for the hedgehogs); it's not organic though unfortunately. I think that may have come from Holland & Barrett. Biona has salt added, but no oil. There is also one from (I think) Equal Exchange that is peanut-only, organic AND fair trade but that's quite hard to find.

I'm all about the peanut butter at the moment. I can't get enough of it! I even had some on a baked potato the other day I must add though, the only reason I did this was because I was at work and realised I had run out of any fillings, so thought I'd give it a go. I don't recommend
    I like football. And potatoes.

I wish I liked peanut butter - is an easy source of protein. I am not deficient in protein or anything, but it has been brought to my atention that my diet is basically proteinless on most days (not that I care that much really) I personally am addicted to avocado. I call it the 'cheese' of a vegan diet

pavotrouge

I'm also on a sort of anit-atkins diet, stickydate, but it doesn't really harm me.
    In fact, it's impossible to be lacking protein even in a vegan diet if you eat enough because most foods contain protein.

I'm sure this must be the only webforum in the world with a thread entitled "Peanut butter - how much is too much?".

You know you're alright when that's the greatest concern in your life.

On a serious note however, I can't imagine it's the worst food choice in the world to be addicted to. Surely the sugar content can't match the kind of sugar intake people who only drink coca-cola everyday have. All this talk is just making me crave the stuff now!
    How did I get down here?

i dont agree with that pavo. i think everyone will eventually get deficient if they dont at least make an effort to eat enough protein rich foods. just like with any other nutrient of food. and im not saying that because its a vegan diet, i would say that about any diet, because im dealing with protein deficiency right now. my biggest hope is that everyone pays attention to their food intake because i think out of all the things im dealing with regarding health, the protein deficiency is the worst of them all.

Creature makes a fantastic peanut butter sauce.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

And where does he spread it? Sorry...

oi!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hehe, sorry hon. I almlost deleted it after I posted, got a bit paranoid that I'd offend Get him to post the recipe, sounds like a tasty idea

pavotrouge

*lol*
    the recipe is on his website...

what is his website? lol id love the recipe

pavotrouge