• All of the above

156 25.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Default Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

im vegan for the animals.

Definately the animals!!!

I'm a vegan for my health for the most part, but I'm certainly glad I'm helping animals in the process.

Animals first and then health was jus an added bonus

Live longer, fight disease, help the animals.

wuggy

Default why i am vegan

I am vegan for the animals, also for my own good, but have backslid twice. Trying again for life.

I'm not vegan, but I am strict vegetarian (a close cousin) and I did it for my health.

That's not the *only* benefit, but it's my main one.

For the animals.

1. Animals

2. Health

3. Environment

It's hard to pick which is most important with regard to health and environment...

ME TOO!

my initial reason was world hunger ...but now its compassion for animals and health too.

For the animals, and for the environment.

just to burn down buildings....just kidding...im vegan for the animals and the environent, the health aspect is kinda like an added benefit or perk.

I am a vegan because i am agaisnt the killing and harming of living things.The reason that i am a vegan has nothing to do with the fact that is also might make me healthy.(But its an extra bouns!!)

What made me vegan was mostly the animals, that's was first made me "start thinking", and quit eating meat.. Then I read a lot of things, me and my mom (who's also a vegan now) and it made me understand how sick the animal industry is in all kind of ways... So it was the envionment too, and god, the wild animals, and poor people... Yes everything, but mainly it was animals and environment.
    Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals.
    -Theodor Adorno (1903-1969), German Jewish philosopher forced into exile by the Nazis

Well, I'm vegan for the health reasons, I have become much healthier since switching. The animal part is nice as well, but not my major motivation...

I orginally did it for religion but dropped such religion and now it is so for the animal. I could never justify eating meat the religion thing just got me started

Question

What religion was it ???

Quote rach
    What religion was it ???
    Rastifarian, they believe only god has the right to take a life.

Quote TheFirstBus
    Rastifarian, they believe only god has the right to take a life.
    What about a fly or an ant?
    Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals.
    -Theodor Adorno (1903-1969), German Jewish philosopher forced into exile by the Nazis

Unregistered

I do it for the animals, for the fact that the meat industry is so unbelievably wicked, and because I have a history of heart disorders which also run in the family; I wish to outlive my kids.

Oops, didn`t realize this forum permits guests to post Anyways, that last one was me.

Quote animalsvoice
    What about a fly or an ant?
    This was one of the things I read, there are different opinions. Some of them eat insects. Some say they don't eat meat because the impurities put into it. I am not apart of such religion anymore, but I stand behind animal advocasy (which is spelt wrong)

environment, mostly.

Quote TheFirstBus
    This was one of the things I read, there are different opinions. Some of them eat insects. Some say they don't eat meat because the impurities put into it. I am not apart of such religion anymore, but I stand behind animal advocasy (which is spelt wrong)
    I see. I was just curious.

For the animals and the environment and the peoples ^_^ The health benefits are just an added bonus.
    ~* but I'm still right here giving blood, keeping faith *~

cati_araujo

for animal rights and a little for the environment. not for health, I would be vegan even if it was unhealthy. in fact, I haven't notice major changes in my health, just a bit.

I also would be vegan even if it was unhealthy, but I wouldn't raise my kids vegan if I wasn't convinced it was healthy.

I'm veg for ethical reasons. Kind of health related too... but I can slack on the health part so it's almost entirelly an ethical decision.

Like almost everyone else, I'm a vegan because of my concern for animals; the personal health benefits and the benefits to the environment are added bonuses.

(I just can't get past the idea of a slaughterhouse.)

Thanks for asking.

Best regards,
    Kukla's Mom

Red face

1. Animals....

What if I was born a cow?

Because there is no reason to make my self and others suffer.

Plus vegan ladies are sooo hot!

Primarily ethical and environmental. The healthiness is sort of a bonus.

Default The Image

In doing research on veg*ism, I ran across a cartoon depicting a fat man unable to look over his stomach and see teeming millions starving. The fat man depicted an omnivore; the idea was that grazing depletes water and soil, and it doesn't yield anywhere near the food that planting fruits, veggies, and grains would.

This, above all else, hit me in my fat gut. Sure, I care about animal pain and suffering. Sure, I care about my body. But what about humanity's future? What about planet Earth's future? What about the big picture?

-- dread

I'm vegan because it's so much better for the planet (we have to take care of the earth, there's no replacing it), because it's a diet and lifestyle completely free from cruelty and death, because I read up on various spiritual topics and found it to be for the best, and I'm kinda a perfectionist when it comes to health. I can't really place one reason above another in importance, they all drove me towards veganism and rank equally.

Quote phillip888
    Because there is no reason to make my self and others suffer.

Plus vegan ladies are sooo hot!

Gee, Phillip, you should have told us that a long time ago - I would have added it to my reasons for being vegan

regards,
    globesetter

Spiritual and religious beliefs concerning animals, trying to avoid the corruption within the meat industries and the problems it causes not only with the environment but people in other countries even. My health is a small but significant part as well. I don't like the idea of my brain being liquified and having three heart attacks while I die from food poisoning.

ConsciousCuisine

Thumbs up Why am I Vegan?

Quote vegchang89
    I'm vegan because it's so much better for the planet (we have to take care of the earth, there's no replacing it), because it's a diet and lifestyle completely free from cruelty and death, because I read up on various spiritual topics and found it to be for the best, and I'm kinda a perfectionist when it comes to health. I can't really place one reason above another in importance, they all drove me towards veganism and rank equally.
    Exactly how I feel. Veganism equals Health and Balance for our total self- Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, Environmental and Physical.

I'd be vegan even if it were not healthy! Not wanting to be part of the killing business is my motivation, but it is a bonus that we tend to be mindful of what we eat and so avoid all the rubbish.

The main reasons are For the animals and evironment, but then could very easily see the health benefits as well ^_^ so:

1.Animals
    2.Environment
    3:Health

It helps pretty much the overall planet.

For the animals...health is a karmic bonus.

Frank Lucas

Animals First
    Aloha

I am vegan in heart, at this time, although I tried in the past but it didn't last long. My wife is not vegan/vegetarian, only one of my three sons is a vegetarian, and it was virtually impossible to be on strict vegan diet. I am, though, strict vegetarian for last 14 years and pretty close to being vegan. At the latest, when my kids fly out of the house, I will certainly become fully vegan.

When I did the switch it was only for animall welfare reason however as I was getting educated in the subject the health and environmental concerns became known to me and now I add these two reasons to the list, to the end of the list to be exact.

Veganmama

I'm Vegan, as i like to try and tread as lightly on the earth as possible and them more people who go Vegan the more healing the earth can do

I went vegetarian for my own conscience (very selfish!). Just couldn't stand looking away each time I saw something about the suffering of animals.

As I allowed myseld to learn more (now that I didn't have bad conscience anymore) I went vegan for the animals.
    But as I learned more about how unsustainable "animal production" (can't stand these words anymore) was, and how harmful it was for the environment, that certainly became a big bonus.
    As for health, well, it's nice, but it would never have got me started on the vegan path.

But really, the way I see it, whatever reason got you started at first, once you go vegan, it all becomes important to you, as I cannot see veganism without advocacy. Becoming vegan is a step, but it will mainly be symbolic unless you start working towards making a vegan world...

Literally, I was not aware about Vegan life in India till 3 years back when I came in to contact with Flashedmrg in Vegan chat room under health and wellness category of Yahoo Messenger, I was confident till then that I have been 100% Vegetarian.But he made everything clear about it. So right from that day I am ...soon would start Vegan Education center at some good place in my city.

Reason for Vegan life---Animals purely. health and environment are secondary.

Good luck everyone !

Manish

Smile I've been a 9 year strong passionate healthy vegan for...

health, environment, common sense, economics, higher spiritual evolution and consciousness and of course because all "creatures have a place in the choir" (quoting John Robbins from his wonderful "Diet For A New America") and I love all beautiful wonderful animals! I look into the eyes of a cow even in a photo and my heart just melts! I don't see it as animal rights though and I'm not entirely certain what the "rights" part means to everyone else, but it goes way more beyond that for me! Animals are not food, they are beautiful living sweet breathing feeling beings who need love and care as much as we do.

I don't eat things that live and have a nervous system and eyes that see and a beating heart or have a mother! It's not just about respecting the animals or seeing them as equals. It's about recognizing that they're beautiful living breathing beings and they feel pain just like we do. Albert Schweitzer (sp), Plato, and Paul McCartney and countless others have looked at animals with compassion and can see the wisdom in their eyes. So do I! Sorry for my rant, but I couldn't help it!lol The only things that I recognize as food and that really are food are those foods that grow in the earth and replenish themselves in the soil and in the trees.

Ok, I'm done now! thanks for listening, lol *grin*

hankie

health (i have bad allergies and if i drank milk it would make them 1000 times worse), i believe that it is highly un-natural to drink/eat the milk of other creatures, the enviroment. i really don't care as much about the animals as a lot of people. weird.

This is not to attack you in any way, but perhaps the reason why you don't care about the animals so much is that you are not aware of the details of farm production?

I'm just saying that because I know of quite a few "health veg*ans" who got a shock once they became aware of the situation of farm animals. Have you had a look at some of PETA's videos (even though some of them are really harsh, they show a very true picture of the situation)?
    http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=free_me

Once again, I'm not writing to convince you, but simply to make sure that you're informed...
    Be the change you wish to see in the world

Default More why vegan TM

I'm a vegan primarily for ethical and compassionate reasons. The health benefits are a nice side-effect!