• Veganism feels right/works best for me

340 55.83%
  • All of the above

156 25.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Default Re: Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Because we can, doesn't mean we should.....

For the animals. The other stuff is just a bonus. If veganism was terrible for my health, or the environment, I would still do it for the animals.

Animal rights mainly, but also for the environment. Health benefits are nice, but you don't have to be vegan for that.

African_Prince

I became a vegan for ethical reasons (concern for non-human animals) but health and environmental factors are also important to me.

rxseeeyse

yes I think vegan is the best choice of my life! for all reasons above.

All of the above Although some of the reasons were unknown to me when I first started, like the environmental causes. I only learned that when I was already a vegan and was reading up a lot about this. But when I found out about it, it became one of the top ones on my list

jeff

I don't want the animals to suffer.

Smile Re: Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Animals and environment, "political" too (for world hunger). The rest is not a priority (I do not care).

Well, i went vegan because i really love animals! and for a more healthy lifestyle.
    Carrot!

I'm vegan 99% for the animals. 1% for health.

I became vegetarian for (mostly) animal and (somewhat) health reasons. After reading more about it I found even more info for those reasons, along with the environment and hunger reasons. I didn't miss meat really, and after a while, I stopped thinking of meat as food. I usually don't think of it so I'm sometimes in danger of not telling someone and then having to worry if my food is safe at the last minute. Fortunately everyone close to me knows.

I became vegan when I realized more and more that it's not any more acceptable to eat eggs and milk, etc. than it is meat, since they're all treated mostly the same, and are all unnecessary and fuel inefficient. I realized this from the start of my vegetarianism, mostly, but it took me four years to be completely honest with myself and just become vegan. Looking back, I'm a little ashamed that I didn't go all the way sooner, but my four years as a vegetarian still count for something.
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." ~A. Whitney Brown

Animals. I would say environment, but I drive a car and when I say that I care about environment it doesn't feel right, I guess I don't care enough.

I had to pick all of the above because I agree with each one. But the it's about 90% for other animals and 1.6% the rest.

I believe humans do not need to eat the flesh or consume any byproduct of others and other animals are not here for humans to use in any way. I guess to would be fair to say it's a completely black and white issue for me, no grey whatsoever.
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

I would say 50% animals and 50 % environmental. I do anything to help save mother nature and to not live like a parasite in this world. Also I find no valid argument what so ever to eat any animal products, we spoiled westerners don't need any of that to survive, actually it's more healthy for us to leave out animal products.
    But I see a grey area too, for some people it's impossible to survive on a vegan diet, or it's more like they don't know how to and they are too focused on the surviving issue to have time to care about the animals. With these kind of people I mean many living in hard conditions in third world countries, I don't think we have a right judge them for not being vegan.

My main reason is ethical/compassionate but I voted for all the reasons mentioned except religious ones (as I'm 100% an atheist).

My ranking of reasons are (from primary reasons to less primary ones):

1. Ethics/compassion for animals
    2. Political (as I believe the oppression of animals is linked/comparative to the opression of disadvantaged groups of people, e.g. I come from sociological/political/feminist education; and analysing the oppression/exploitation of women & socially disadvantaged people eventually led me to analysing the oppression/exploitation of animals, especially after I'd talked to some vegans who were involved in those political backgrounds)
    3. Health
    4. Environmental concern
    5. World hunger
    6. Economical (as a vegan diet can be cheaper in some way)
    7. Veganism feels/works best for me (I felt like 'coming home')
    8. No valid arguments from pro-animal exploitation apologists
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

Animals.

I've always felt for animals and been a vegetarian for many years thinking I was helping but then I watched that show "kill it, cook it, eat it" and it showed me that dairy farming supports the slaughter industry, and I saw the process of veal, from then on I couldn't bear to contribute to the atrocities that these beautiful animals are put through all for a selfish pleasure that it the taste of these animals that lasts for a few seconds.

In order to support my own existence I need not destroy hundreds of others.
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/

Default Re: More why vegan TM

For the animals! Also for my health, as I have become much healthier since going vegan 12+ years ago.
    Check out my (vegan) food blog:
    http://anditsvegan.blogspot.com :):)

I have only one reason. The animals.
    All about the animals, Lucia

I am vegan for the common good of all the living beings on this planet.

We are all connected and being not abusing her children reconnects me with Mother Nature.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

I'm vegan for the cool t-shirts and increased farting power.

(Plus all that hippie crap about saving the animals etc)
    I’ll call you on your sh*t, please call me on mine. Then we can grow together and make this sh*t-hole planet better, in time. Consider someone else: STOP CONSUMING ANIMALS.

leedsveg

Quote MrWizzle View Post
    I'm vegan for the cool t-shirts and increased farting power.

(Plus all that hippie crap about saving the animals etc)
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news MrW but you may find that your increased farting power, may only be a temporary phenomenon.

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news MrW but you may find that your increased farting power, may only be a temporary phenomenon.
    lv
    Aww. Rough with the smooth, I suppose.

Serious answer: All of the reasons except for spiritual/religious (no interest in that).
    I’ll call you on your sh*t, please call me on mine. Then we can grow together and make this sh*t-hole planet better, in time. Consider someone else: STOP CONSUMING ANIMALS.

Definitely for the animals, followed by the environment and world hunger. The health benefits are a nice bonus.

Animals is my deciding factor, Ie. the thing that made me become vegan originally.
    the environmental concerns, the health benefits, the fact that it makes me feel closer to the Earth, and is more of an efficient energy source, are just very positive bonus factors
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

For my health; the animals and environment are added benefits.

leedsveg

Quote hazelcelt View Post
    For my health; the animals and environment are added benefits.
    Hi hazelcelt and welcome to the forum.

I tend to plug the benefits to health of going vegan because I find that self interest is a really big incentive for somebody to do something. If going vegan tended to make our own health suffer, that could be seen as a big turn, no matter how much veganism helps animals, the environment etc. Once a person has gone vegan, I'm not really seeing that listing the personal reasons for having done so, in some kind of order, serves much, if any, useful purpose. Just my view but others will perhaps disagree?

Leedsveg

For the animals mainly. Everything else is a bonus ^.^

One night I was looking at my friend's dog I'm taking care of, he's a chihuahua, his name is Pepe.
    I was also eating half a roast chicken.. I began thinking about how Pepe isn't much bigger than a chicken. Pepe has been a great friend to me and has been there for me when humans weren't! How can I eat a chicken which could of done the exact same thing for me?
    So then I started reading up on animal cruelty, watched a few videos of PETA's website and I decided to turn vegan.

Quote gooberboggle View Post
    For the animals mainly. Everything else is a bonus ^.^

One night I was looking at my friend's dog I'm taking care of, he's a chihuahua, his name is Pepe.
    I was also eating half a roast chicken.. I began thinking about how Pepe isn't much bigger than a chicken. Pepe has been a great friend to me and has been there for me when humans weren't! How can I eat a chicken which could of done the exact same thing for me?
    So then I started reading up on animal cruelty, watched a few videos of PETA's website and I decided to turn vegan.
    Reminds me of his story.

Here's the whole thing.

http://www.tribeofheart.org/sr/sr_wi...om_english.htm
    Poor animals !
    How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies.... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself.

That looks like a good movie

Although I haven't avoided or feared animals, I've had pets in the past that I love, but I don't know it just sort of clicked with me that day..

Quote gooberboggle View Post
    That looks like a good movie

Although I haven't avoided or feared animals, I've had pets in the past that I love, but I don't know it just sort of clicked with me that day..
    It seems we never know what is going to be the trigger that opens our eyes and for me at least, I spent the first month of veganism being mad at myself for not realizing earlier.
    Poor animals !
    How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies.... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself.

I guess I listed personal health because honestly, that was the first thing that made me go vegan. Afterward, the other factors came into play but it was the initial concern for health that initially brought me here. That's not to say I don't care about animals or the planet; once I discovered that being vegan was healthful, I began to see all the other wonderful benefits it had not just for me, but for the planet.

Also thanks for kind welcome! I'm glad to be here!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi hazelcelt and welcome to the forum.

I tend to plug the benefits to health of going vegan because I find that self interest is a really big incentive for somebody to do something. If going vegan tended to make our own health suffer, that could be seen as a big turn, no matter how much veganism helps animals, the environment etc. Once a person has gone vegan, I'm not really seeing that listing the personal reasons for having done so, in some kind of order, serves much, if any, useful purpose. Just my view but others will perhaps disagree?

Leedsveg

Because I can't imagine giving my money to buttholes so they can make a crapload of animals lives miserable all up until their disgusting, untimely death.

I guess that's "for the animals" or "ethical" reasons...but really it just feels like (not so common) common decency to me.
    ...take it to the bridge...

Hmmm, this is an interesting poll. I am vegan because it is the logical way to be ethical (or good). I do have a slight meta-analysis of the first option though: ethics are very different from a "reverence for life". There is possible overlap; however, it's not very accurate when you think about it. A "reverence for life" presupposes a reverence for something else (like animality or sentience). A "reverence for sentience" may be a better way to put it. Afterall, our lives require a great many deaths of non sentient beings from bacteria to plants. Anyway, I'm sure most people do not share my interest in semantics. LOL!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    I do have to say that my farting power is doing just fine! :P

Congratulations, anyone who reads this, on liberating your mind, however you did it.

I am vegan for the animals, my health, and for the environment!

Mainly the animals, others just come along for the awesome ride

Quote vegchang89 View Post
    because it's a diet and lifestyle completely free from cruelty and death,
    Sorry, but veganism is NOT completely free from cruelty and death, just lessens them.
    “We do not have the right to be not offended” -Someone on Earth

Quote ReasonTakesMe View Post
    I am vegan because it is the logical way to be ethical (or good). A "reverence for sentience" may be a better way to put it. Afterall, our lives require a great many deaths of non sentient beings from bacteria to plants. Anyway, I'm sure most people do not share my interest in semantics. LOL!
    Thanks ReasonTakesMe. I am just curious, have you read "The Immorality of Eating Meat"? I turned vegan after this logical analysis of veganism by Engel. You're the first vegan I know who flat out said logic as a reason
    “We do not have the right to be not offended” -Someone on Earth

I am Vegan because after learning how animals are treated I dont want to be a part of that, I want to live a life that causes the least amount of suffering to other animals (including humans). The health benefits are a free bonus.

So I can get fussed over at restaurants.

Crap jokes aside...Ethics, totally. And logic as above, I can go with that
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

First of all, I've become vegan for the animals, so for ethical reasons. Then it would be the environment and for health. And I've discovered so many advantages of being vegan after a while, such those benefits that it brings to your health and the feeling of being guilt free.
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

I'm vegan due to ethical & compassionate reasons!
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

The main reason is definitely for the animals, my heath and the environment are just the added benefits(:

Crusty Rat

I went vegan for ethical/animal rights reasons and that's still the main reason. But I was pleased to discover that the effect on my health was similar to when I quit smoking! I also agree with the environmental/sustainability reasons. Plus I love the food and the way my diet makes me look, smell and taste. There's a million reasons for me to be vegan, whether it's for my own or others' pleasure, and no reason not to be.

I am vegan* because I eat and do what feels right for me, not what I have been told or observed in the majority. There's not really any reason, more a lack of reasons for the contrary. Just because something is popular doesn't mean there must be justification for not doing it, I have never had any desire to harm, kill or eat an animal and neither do I see any attraction to animal products (infact they revolt me, so maybe that is one 'reason').

*I don't actually label myself vegan, I'm just myself and it just so happens that there are quite a few similarities between me and someone who is 'vegan'.

At first I wanted to do it to lose weight but I learned about the environment and animal rights in the process, now there's no turning back. When I started I got all of the free "vegetarian starter kits" that I could, what I read horrified and inspired me. So far I've lost 15 lbs. My goal is a total of 30.

I should also mention I went vegan after I saw an episode of 30 days with Morgan Spurlock on a hunter from North Carolina who lives with an animal rights activist family. I thought it would be funny because I live in north carolina and I know people like him. I actually cried a few times during the episode. I think everyone needs to see it because it exposes the cruelty of dairy farming and animal experimentation. The hunter actually became an animal rights activist although he still hunts and eats steak. I thought it was very moving.

Quote Crusty Rat View Post
    I went vegan for ethical/animal rights reasons and that's still the main reason. But I was pleased to discover that the effect on my health was similar to when I quit smoking! I also agree with the environmental/sustainability reasons. Plus I love the food and the way my diet makes me look, smell and taste. There's a million reasons for me to be vegan, whether it's for my own or others' pleasure, and no reason not to be.
    Completely agree (except for the smoking, I never have). Even if it wasn't such a healthy lifestyle I still wouldn't feel that I have the right or superiority to eat another sentient being or inflict pain or suffering. I wouldn't want that for myself or my children so why would I condone it to be done to others. Wish I could stand up for myself and say that to meat eating friends but haven't managed it so far!

Mostly for health reasons and world hunger.

Mostly for health reasons and world hunger.
    And how do you get to the conclusion that using non-food animal products is wrong based on world hunger/health?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Compassion for all and that includes animal rights and humans rights to be healthy and mentally healthy which being vegan gives me.
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Quote Korn View Post
    And how do you get to the conclusion that using non-food animal products is wrong based on world hunger/health?

It works exactly the same way, the land used to warehouse animals no matter if it is for food or other things is unethical on many levels. The odd thing is we know that but continue to do it.